Start by marking “Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats

Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats

(Sweet Tooth #5)

As the mysterious Captain James Thacker and his crew man a deadly expedition, they will uncover secrets centuries old, but what does any of this have to do with Gus and Jepperd? Plus, while Jeppard, Singh and Gus make plans to head to Alaska, things start to deteriorate for the rest of the group back at the sanctuary!

Collecting: Sweet Tooth 26-32
Paperback, Trade, 158 pages
Published November 6th 2012 by RHUS

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tooth, Volume 5

Start your review of Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats
Paz R.M.
Hey, so this is the one of my series re-read where I disagree with my past self. Not emotional enough?! BOBBY. BOBBY WAS HURT AND THERE WAS JEPPERD/GUS ANGST. THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.
Also because I knew now about the pagan aspect of the sickness, I wasn't as disappointed re-reading the first half of the volume, I still wish the source of the plague was never explored, but hey, it wasn't as disappointing as I remembered it.
As for the other half, it was sad, and there were a few nice moments, but I g
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
This was an unconventional volume split into two parts. The first one gives us the much-needed origin story that everyone has been looking forward to. Was it satisfying? Not so much. The structure of the story made it harder to connect with the tragedy that it was going to present. The second half of the volume gets right into the action with big reveals and new bonds, preparing everyone for the final journey to Alaska.

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookido
Licha
***WARNING***POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD***

***2ND WARNING***STOP IF YOU MUST***

THE plague may have stemmed in 1911. Through the diary of James Thacker we learn he set sail in search of Louis Simpson, who was to marry James' sister, but who never returned home from his mission to Alaska to Christianize the "savages".

James lands in a desolate, cold land and finds that the missionaries died from a plague. However, Louis survived and joined the Inuits and adopted their lifestyle. Louis fell in love wit
Sam Quixote
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first half of the book takes the story back to 1911 where a wealthy young Englishman goes in search of his brother-in-law who has disappeared after going to Alaska to spread the word of god to the native Eskimos. But what he finds in the snowy wasteland is the beginning of the end for humanity... Meanwhile back in the main storyline, Gus and Jepperd find out the real story behind the Evergreen Project.

The biggest problem I had with the book is in the first half of the book where it’s reveal
Mari
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

Here is my full series review for volumes 1-6.

That back story was completely not what I was expecting. I thought I had most of this series figured
out, but of all the "explanations" we could've received...? Yeah. Not what I was expecting.

I was kind of hesitantly approaching the end here, but after reading this volume, I feel ready to continue, full steam ahead.
Alison
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5 STARS
interesting turn of events, but can't say I didn't see it coming.
Selene
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Afro Madonna
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Me after reading this :

description

So in my feels right now .
Stacie
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated that this volume gave more historical context to the sickness. I found that to be quite interesting. We also got a fun twist thrown in towards the end, which spiced things up a bit.

This series has been incredibly solid so far. Can't wait to see how everything wraps up in the next installment.
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
Love this graphic novel series so much! This is in my top 3 ever. Such a unique well told story. Dystopian but a spin I've never seen before ...more
Stewart Tame
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This far into the series, it's hard to come up with anything to say that doesn't involve spoilers. One assumes that anyone who's read volumes 1-4 isn't going to skip 5 because of a bad review, nor is anyone likely to start reading with that volume simply because of a good one. If I wasn't so in love with my own prose, I'd probably skip this altogether. ;-) Anyway, Sweet Tooth still rocks. Quality is still high. We get a glimpse of the possible origins of the sickness, and Gus gets more decisive. ...more
Peter Derk
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know what every apocalypse has? One big huge asshole who seems dead set on doing whatever the polar opposite of the protagonist is doing. Why? There's always got to be some asshole ruining the fun for everyone.

Apocalypse books are kind of all the rage right now, or maybe that's just starting to die down, but part of me wonders whether those kind of people would really show up? More to the point, who are all these crazy assholes they always get to hang out with them?

"Hey Pete, it's the apocal
JumbleofJargon
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
WHY DOES THE ART STYLE CHANGE IN EACH BOOK!
The font choices have also been horrendous throughout the series. The reason behind the plague better not be some spiritistic mess or I refuse to continue with this.
Dylan
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Only one volume left :'( :'( ...more
Kate
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4/5stars

That beginning bit was hella slow until we found out the big secret.

Also TOTALLY CALLED IT.

and also oh shit to that ending.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Another good volume in this series.
XO
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Why not northern Canada? Anyway, for funs of The Terror by Simmons.
Karl
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The 1911 historical flashback section provided us with the source of the sickness. I liked that part of the story and it was a logical explanation of current post apocalyptic events. Lots of other action throughout the book and I’m quite interested to see how things wrap up in Volume 6. Lemire is on the top of his game btw and guest artist Matt Kindt was a pleasant surprise. I need to seek him out.
Jessi
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume starts off back when the plague started. We get to read Dr James Thacker’s journal as he embarks on a journey to Alaska to find his future brother-in-law who has gone missing. There are constant warnings and yet, he pursues even with the breakout. Answers are revealed and it wasn’t AT ALL what I was expecting and to be honest I’m not sure how I feel about it. Aside from the story, we have a new artist doing this piece, Matt Kindt, and I wasn’t a huge fan of the artwork. I don’t think ...more
Andy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well, it hasn't really got much better - the first story, set in 'olden times' works well but aside from displaying the terrible British and their colonial attitude, the revelation is rather weak.

And then we skip back to present time and the story started in the previous volume is resolved in an entirely predictable manner. It should have been resolved last time round.

Given where we currently are I can't see how this is going to be tied up in one more volume without disappointing further. I may
Elizabeth A
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
The fifth installment in this graphic novel series collects issues #26-32.

Unlike the previous books in the series, this one does not start by picking up where we last left our merry band of travelers. Instead, we get an entirely new story line, one set in 1911 Alaska. It's a first contact story - a trope I love, and while I did not love the art in this section as much as the rest of the book, it was interesting to learn some of the mythology behind the mysterious plague.

But what does all this ha
Ana Carolina Maciel
Woah the beginning of this one was completly surprising and incredibly interesting...I'd never see that coming. ...more
Benji Glaab
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the better volumes so far. We get two 3 part stories, the first of which is told in expeditionary logs an route to Northern Alaska circa 1911. This serves as an origin story for the hybrid plague. I find most of the plague/hybrid lore nearly laughable, however Lemire still manages to tell a great tale, and that's what keeps me coming back for more.

The second arc continues the main quest. This focused on some heavily foreshadowed events, and there are conclusions of sorts. There weren't ma
Bradley
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
It does not help at all that I skimmed the last volume (4). I also mentioned my enthusiasm for Sweet Tooth is shot. After my review the other day I checked out the series and saw it only went as far as volume 6. That means I made it halfway and quit. So, here’s to a rejuvenating start. I am not going back to read volume 4, hence why the intro-synopsis is actually really helpful.

As for the contents of volume 5 I realized immediately WHY I skimmed volume 4 and forced myself through it. There’s a
Akira
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading the entire series I think I like this installment the most. I think it might be because it’s where most of the revelations come together for the series, but also because of the way they did the storyline for this particular one was extremely well done. As per usual the imagery is great and the darkness of it pulls me. This series is awesome.
MissAnnThrope
19 February 2013

Rating: * * * * 1/2

Sweet Tooth Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats hits the ground running with the thrilling but tragic backstory of how the plague began over a century ago in Alaska. This gut-wrenching tale weighed heavy on me. It's unfortunate how human nature allows people to perform such terrible, evil acts. Initially, I wasn't too fond of the artwork in this story but soon grew to appreciate how this simplistic style accentuated the somber tone.

In a post-apocalyptic world, if it see
Otherwyrld
The first time I read through this volume I really didn't like it at all. A second read-through has made me appreciate some of the finer points of the story, but it still feels like there's a whole lot of nothing going on.

The first half of the book is set in 1911 and explores the origins of the plague and the hybrids. It starts out as typical arrogant white Christian mission destroying native culture and ends up with a clash of religious beliefs that, surprisingly, the natives win. Having said
Hannah
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I’ve pretty much exhausted my praises & critiques for the series, this being the 5th volume I’ve reviewed.

There was a prelude drawn by a different artist in the beginning of this book. I didn’t find any particular issues with it but I just found myself impatiently waiting to dive right back into the main story. Nonetheless, I was thankful to get a look into the lore of the apocalypse. The narrator for the prelude was a taxidermist and I was hoping to see more of that because it’s a point of int
JB
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wauw! This is my favorite volume in this series so far. We get to see a bit of the origins of the disease that killed billions around the world. That part of the story was very interesting. It follows an expedition into the Arctic in 1911. A Search and Rescue mission that quickly became something else. It was great that this part of the book was drawn very different from the rest of the book. Making a clear difference between the past an the present.

The present events in this book got really sus
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers
  • Bog Bodies
  • Bitter Root, Vol. 2: Rage & Redemption
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 5: Bound by Blood (Nailbiter, #5)
  • Middlewest, Book Three
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 4: Blood Lust (Nailbiter, #4)
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.

Sweet Tooth (6 books)