Start by marking “Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats

Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats (Sweet Tooth, Volume 5)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  4,060 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
As the mysterious Captain James Thacker and his crew man a deadly expedition, they will uncover secrets centuries old, but what does any of this have to do with Gus and Jepperd? Plus, while Jeppard, Singh and Gus make plans to head to Alaska, things start to deteriorate for the rest of the group back at the sanctuary!

Collecting: Sweet Tooth 26-32
Paperback, Trade, 158 pages
Published November 6th 2012 by RHUS

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tooth, Volume 5

Mari
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016

Here is my full series review for volumes 1-6.

That back story was completely not what I was expecting. I thought I had most of this series figured
out, but of all the "explanations" we could've received...? Yeah. Not what I was expecting.

I was kind of hesitantly approaching the end here, but after reading this volume, I feel ready to continue, full steam ahead.
Chelsea
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Paz R.M.
3 Stars
Hey, this was a solid volume, but the fact is it is the weakest of them all so far. There's not much going on plotwise.
First three issues have nothing to do with the main storyline, but it provides some answers about the plague. These issues tell the story of a group of englishmen going on an expedition to Alaska in 1911. I really can't say much more because I don't wanna spoil. Still, I'm not really impressed with what happened here, but at the same time, I never wanted an answer for t
Selene
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Sam Quixote
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first half of the book takes the story back to 1911 where a wealthy young Englishman goes in search of his brother-in-law who has disappeared after going to Alaska to spread the word of god to the native Eskimos. But what he finds in the snowy wasteland is the beginning of the end for humanity... Meanwhile back in the main storyline, Gus and Jepperd find out the real story behind the Evergreen Project.

The biggest problem I had with the book is in the first half of the book where it’s reveal
Afro Madonna🍋
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Me after reading this :

description

So in my feels right now .
Peter Derk
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know what every apocalypse has? One big huge asshole who seems dead set on doing whatever the polar opposite of the protagonist is doing. Why? There's always got to be some asshole ruining the fun for everyone.

Apocalypse books are kind of all the rage right now, or maybe that's just starting to die down, but part of me wonders whether those kind of people would really show up? More to the point, who are all these crazy assholes they always get to hang out with them?

"Hey Pete, it's the apocal
Stewart Tame
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This far into the series, it's hard to come up with anything to say that doesn't involve spoilers. One assumes that anyone who's read volumes 1-4 isn't going to skip 5 because of a bad review, nor is anyone likely to start reading with that volume simply because of a good one. If I wasn't so in love with my own prose, I'd probably skip this altogether. ;-) Anyway, Sweet Tooth still rocks. Quality is still high. We get a glimpse of the possible origins of the sickness, and Gus gets more decisive. ...more
JumbleofJargon
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
WHY DOES THE ART STYLE CHANGE IN EACH BOOK!
The font choices have also been horrendous throughout the series. The reason behind the plague better not be some spiritistic mess or I refuse to continue with this.
Ema
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chorei baba e ranho. Como previsto, fiquei com o coração partido.
Dylan
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Only one volume left :'( :'(
Kate
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4/5stars

That beginning bit was hella slow until we found out the big secret.

Also TOTALLY CALLED IT.

and also oh shit to that ending.
Jessi
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume starts off back when the plague started. We get to read Dr James Thacker’s journal as he embarks on a journey to Alaska to find his future brother-in-law who has gone missing. There are constant warnings and yet, he pursues even with the breakout. Answers are revealed and it wasn’t AT ALL what I was expecting and to be honest I’m not sure how I feel about it. Aside from the story, we have a new artist doing this piece, Matt Kindt, and I wasn’t a huge fan of the artwork. I don’t think ...more
Andy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well, it hasn't really got much better - the first story, set in 'olden times' works well but aside from displaying the terrible British and their colonial attitude, the revelation is rather weak.

And then we skip back to present time and the story started in the previous volume is resolved in an entirely predictable manner. It should have been resolved last time round.

Given where we currently are I can't see how this is going to be tied up in one more volume without disappointing further. I may
Ana Carolina
Woah the beginning of this one was completly surprising and incredibly interesting...I'd never see that coming.
Hassan
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5*
Tânia M.
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A introdução deste volume foi única. E deu outro sentido a tudo o que está a acontecer :)

Tenho pena que esteja quase a terminar.
MissAnnThrope
19 February 2013

Rating: * * * * 1/2

Sweet Tooth Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats hits the ground running with the thrilling but tragic backstory of how the plague began over a century ago in Alaska. This gut-wrenching tale weighed heavy on me. It's unfortunate how human nature allows people to perform such terrible, evil acts. Initially, I wasn't too fond of the artwork in this story but soon grew to appreciate how this simplistic style accentuated the somber tone.

In a post-apocalyptic world, if it see
Otherwyrld
The first time I read through this volume I really didn't like it at all. A second read-through has made me appreciate some of the finer points of the story, but it still feels like there's a whole lot of nothing going on.

The first half of the book is set in 1911 and explores the origins of the plague and the hybrids. It starts out as typical arrogant white Christian mission destroying native culture and ends up with a clash of religious beliefs that, surprisingly, the natives win. Having said
JB
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wauw! This is my favorite volume in this series so far. We get to see a bit of the origins of the disease that killed billions around the world. That part of the story was very interesting. It follows an expedition into the Arctic in 1911. A Search and Rescue mission that quickly became something else. It was great that this part of the book was drawn very different from the rest of the book. Making a clear difference between the past an the present.

The present events in this book got really sus
Josh
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Man, I just love this book! Still one collected volume coming out in June (the final 8 issues), but it'll be tough to not just try to get the single issues between now and then. I already want to reread the whole series, and if you haven't started, I'd recommend just waiting til June and devouring this all at once.

Volume 5 brings some great new insights, but if there was one flaw, it's that it happens too fast. But then again, Y the Last Man felt so repetitive at points, as they attempted to dr
Elizabeth A
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
The fifth installment in this graphic novel series collects issues #26-32.

Unlike the previous books in the series, this one does not start by picking up where we last left our merry band of travelers. Instead, we get an entirely new story line, one set in 1911 Alaska. It's a first contact story - a trope I love, and while I did not love the art in this section as much as the rest of the book, it was interesting to learn some of the mythology behind the mysterious plague.

But what does all this ha
Andy
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
Wow.... Lemire takes a break both from the current story and art style for the first third of this collection, bringing in one of my favorite new artists Matt Kindt (currently working on the incredible Mind Mgmt) to show us a bit about how this story started 100 years ago. I could not turn the pages fast enough. When Lemire brings us back to the present, the series' sense of urgency (that you previously thought was painfully urgent) gets ramped up to unimaginable levels. Good, messed up stuff.
Sara
We open this volume with some history behind the plague that wiped out much of the population. It was interesting to see where the author took it and brought in angry gods. After this, we jump right back into the previous storyline. Walter has shown his true colors and there is a rush to save everyone.

This series has been dark from the very beginning, but it's taken an even darker turn. There is so much more to learn about the story too, so I can't even imagine where this will end up.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2015, october-2015
This books holds a two arcs. The first is some deep background on where, possibly the hybrids came from and why. Whether this bears out in the final book is anyone's guess (though, with how tightly Lemire's been running thus far, I can't imagine it won't). The second arc puts us back in the story we've been following, and holy crap, does it come out swinging, and it ends that way, too, getting me right in the gut on the very last page.
jess
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
I really liked how this dug deeper into both the mythology of the half-animal/half-child creatures and also how much BETRAYAL and DRAMA they fit in the modern day part of the story. I continue to be captivated by the dystopian relationships, characters and setting, and I especially love how an old hockey buddy can appear out of nowhere. I will definitely continue to read this series.
Karen
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
it just gets better and better.. and you find it out more and more what had happened but the past does not take away from the prsent just adds
Emily
This series is so weird and great. I'm really excited to see how this ends, but I'll be sad.
Noelle
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning post-apocalyptic graphic novel. Couldn't put it down!
Jojo
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A minha opinião desta saga em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ymw...
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
  • Scalped, Vol. 5: High Lonesome (Scalped, #5)
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • American Vampire, Vol. 5
  • Fatale, Book Three: West of Hell (Fatale, #3)
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.
More about Jeff Lemire...

Sweet Tooth, (6 books)