Start by marking “52” as Want to Read:

(52, Vol. 1 #1-52 (2006-2007) #1-4)

Following the events of INFINITE CRISIS, the Big Three of the DC Universe each took a year away from their superhero duties. It was a year without Superman, a year without Batman, a year without Wonder Woman, a year without the Justice League. But it wasn't a year without heroes. Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid pen the weekly, yearlong series that red ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 1216 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by DC Comics (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 52, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 52

Wing Kee
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

One of the best weekly series from DC of all time.

World: The art is generally consistent and good, there are issues now and then that look out of place but overall it's solid. The world building is absolutely fantastic and meticulous. Following the events of Infinite Crisis we find the DC universe changed and this story is about that change, and not only that it's about the DC universe without the Trinity for a year and how it plays out. The world is interesting, the scope is huge, the characte
Koen
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: read Infinite Crisis first
The story after the big finale of Infinite Crisis.. 52 weeks without Supes, the Bat and Wonder Woman.. And what a ride it was!
A full year with some major events concerning a lot of the other superheroes out there.. Animal man, Kory and Adam Strange looking for their way home and Elongated Man, Ralph, looking for his wife Sue... Also Booster and Skeets looking for what is happening to time itself..
Next you had Lex with his Everyman project and also the events concerning the Black Marvel Family..
Arthur
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Unless you're a diehard fan it's totally not worth the read
Anthony
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: omnibus
Several rotating story arcs happening at the same time over 52 weeks, written by 4 (very talented) writers and drawn by a ton of artists. I've finally read 52 and my opinion is: it's pretty good.

It's the kind of story that's a little daunting to me, because I don't know the DC universe that well outside of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and the three of them aren't in this. (Well, they are, but hardly).

I liked some of the story lines a lot more than other. My favourite easily being Renee Mon
Randy Lander
Post Identity Crisis I was pretty done with DC. But as things move forward and their books become more and more dark and uninteresting to me, I revisit the older works and find the stuff I didn’t like more palatable by comparison. Maybe in five years or so I’ll find the hidden gems of Rebirth and New 52.

At the time I read this, I was annoyed at the casual killing off of perfectly good characters, but even at the time I loved some of the stories here. The battle for Nat’s soul between Steel and L
Adam Bender
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a unique DC Comics series in that it highlights some of the more minor comic characters like Booster Gold, Steel and the Question. It was great seeing these characters shine without the big three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) overshadowing them.

It's also quite impressive that the four writers on this book (Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid) pulled this off. Somewhat like a soap opera, 52 weaves several individual storylines together into a year-long weekly series. The stories are mos
Dean Olson
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only weekly series DC did that was actually good. Countdown was terrible & Trinity was boring. Brightest Day was okay but it was bi-weekly. This has a whole cast of great writers writing different plot lines that cross over. This focuses on a lot of lesser known characters as the main stars. The Black Adam, The Question/Montoya/Batwoman, and Evil Scientists storylines were my favorite. Ralph Dibney's was really good also. It was full of references to DC History but I think a new reader c ...more
Sean Kennedy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman have taken a year's sabbatical after the events of Infinite Crisis. In a world without superheroes, who is left to step up and take their place?

Well, there's a whole lot actually - but the big three are missed. The stories are all captivating - though some more than others, such as Renee and the Questioner - and it does build to a great climax with a poignant epilogue.

A mammoth, but exciting, read.
La Revistería Comics
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tomotorotazo con los cincuenta y dos 52 en una edición tan inmanejable como insuperable. Lo mejor de los personajes segundarios, terciarios y hasta cuaternarios del viejo universo DC en un solo, bello e insuperable integral.
Justin Munday
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As what has to be one of the most ambitious undertakings in the history of the medium, 52 succeeds on nearly every front. Four of DC's best writers alongside some of the industry's best veteran artists, colorists and editorial staff to deliver an engaging and multifaceted long-form story that is an absolute blast to behold.

Taking place immediately after his decade-defining event, Geoff Johns (Infinite Crisis, Green Lantern, JSA, etc.) teamed up with the infamous Grant Morrison (Seven Soldiers, A
Jonathan Keung
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a long book to read while on a plane ride during spring break, I stumbled across this book while scanning for recommended books on my iPad. This book, “52 Weeks”, happened to be part of a book series I had read, that I really enjoyed.

“52 Weeks” is a fiction story about the world after a war that left billions dead and planets destroyed. It takes after its predecessor, “∞ Crisis”, and tells the story of the year following the events of the war, and although it is written as mode
ArcherSceptile
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best uses of the expanded DC universe. It reminds fans that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman aren't the only characters in the world. This story makes you care about a lot of these characters, some of which some people will not have had much exposure to previously. Renee Montoya and Black Adam are 2 of my favorite characters period and this event shows them at their peak characterization.
Adam
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I didn't actually read this version. The one I read was two parts, each containing 26 issues of the original run of "52".

For those that want an introduction to the DC universe, this is a great way to get it. It pretty much touches on everything that is in that universe sans the big three of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

Art is great. Each story is engaging and interweaves pleasantly with its neighbors. If you like superhero comic books, you can't to much better than this.
Adeel
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn masterpiece. The perfect follow-up to a cataclysmic event, with many intriguing twists and turns along the way, these roughly 1000 pages tell an absolutely marvelous tale of the dc universe in the absence of the big three, with stories centered on Renee Montoya, The Elongated Man, Lex Luthor, and lastly but not least, Black Adam.
Alan
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it has a lot of my favourite characters as main players - The Question, Ambush Bug, Booster Gold and so many twists and turns. I thought this was excellent. It's massive, but I blasted through it.
Jim
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cut above many such 'event' comics, and some of the storylines are genuinely gripping. But the need to adhere to the conventions of 'crossover' comic series mars what could otherwise have been a truly ambitious project.
Patrick Williams
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I was in the middle of my 10 year break from comics when this came out initially. Just goes to show what 4 outstanding writers can do when they are given the opportunity. I was never a big DC capes fan growing up, and still lean more towards Marvel now, but you can't really go wrong with Morrison, Waid, Rucka, and Johns telling the story.

The story is too big to really review it in the little time I have allowed myself to write this review, so a quick recap to give you a flavor. After anoth
Kris
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is from the time period where I wasn't reading comics, so there's a lot I didn't follow, and a lot of characters i didn't recognize, but the overarching story was really good. I still don't understand how Black Adam was so powerful that people like the Marvels and the Green Lanterns couldn't take him out. (Plus, why have people like Green Arrow and Black Canary going up against someone so powerful?) but overall I liked the story and I like how these big events let some of the lesser known c ...more
Bobby Keough
As a whole of 52 issues, this storyline is amazing. It continuously manages different plots that sometimes merge together with some great plot twists. 52 also shines the spotlight on lesser DC characters, with leads including Renee Montoya, Booster Gold, Elongated Man, Black Adam, and many others. I wish more weekly comics like this could happen, and the real time concept of the series really makes for effective management of storytelling.
Christopher
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible achievement from DC, it took brass balls (and confidence in the great creative team assembled) to make this brilliant year long story without the big three. It spans all types of comic book storylines, going far into the multiverse and deep into the characters. This is an all time classic as far as I'm concerned. Just loved it.
Ivan Leong
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
A direct sequel from Infinite crisis. A world without the 3 leading superheroes, Superman batman and wonder women. 4 superstar writers 4 main plots 4 main characters Renee Montoya, Elongated man, black Adam and booster gold converges altogether.
I find it hard to appreciate this book and honestly only 2 of the plots were great starring black adam and booster gold.
So 2/5 for me.
Matthew Collier
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of my favorite comics of all time. I included this on my book challenge because it took me almost a month to read this SOB again. I cannot recommend this enough, especially if you're a fan of the DC universe.
Variaciones Enrojo
Tomo integral de 52.
AJ Conroy
Oct 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Chaotic
Althea
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
What the DC Comic Universe should be.
Justine
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I only read the parts with Clark Kent, Renee Montoya, and Kate Kane, to be honest.
Benjamin
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very epic! Interesting interwoven storylines. A fun read throughout.
Martin
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
First read in omnibus format 26-Feb to 04-Mar 2016.
Sarah Robertson
Jan 07, 2014
Germaïne
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2012
  • Catwoman, Volume 2: No Easy Way Down
  • Absolute Promethea, Book Two
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more

52, Vol. 1 #1-52 (2006-2007) (4 books)
  • 52, Vol. 1