Start by marking “Nightwing, Volume 1: Traps and Trapezes” as Want to Read:
Nightwing, Volume 1: Traps and Trapezes

Nightwing, Volume 1: Traps and Trapezes

(Nightwing (2011) #1)

As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics - The New 52 event of September 2011, Dick Grayson flies high once more as Nightwing in a new series from hot new writer Kyle Higgins (BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM) and artist Eddy Barrows (SUPERMAN)!

Haley's Circus, the big top where Dick once performed, makes a stop on its tour in Gotham City - bringing with it murder, mystery and
Published October 10th 2012 by DC Comics (first published October 1st 2012)

Start your review of Nightwing, Volume 1: Traps and Trapezes
Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Plot proficient but charm deficient, it lacks the patina of idiosyncrasy that enlivens characters and details personality.
Jeff
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
NIghtwing joins the circus looking for some sort of closure about his mom and dad getting blown up and instead is subjected to this freak show of a storyline.

Nightwing (formerly, Robin, the Boy Wonder) is supposed to be the light-hearted, quippy member of the Bats family, but even he’s worn down by this loose tie-in to the “Owls” storyline from the Batman titles.

Why do a majority of DC’s New 52 titles get plotted with storylines that would seem quaint and dated back in 1990? One reason:
Anne
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dirk Grobbelaar
Okay, so I’d read Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls before this, which means I had some idea of where the story was headed. Nightwing is by far one of the better New 52 titles; It’s right up there with Aquaman, Vol. 1: The Trench.

First of all, the Nightwing story isn’t a reboot. There is mention of his tenure as Batman, and how it changed (matured) him; he’s in terrific crime-fighting shape here. Which brings me to Saiko: the fighting scenes in here are nothing short of spectacular. Much like
Brad
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
written by Kyle Higgins & art by Eddy Barrows

Of all the characters -- villains and heroes -- within Batman's sphere of influence, it is Dick Grayson, specifically Dick Grayson as Nightwing, who is the most important to our reading of Batman himself.

Many, if not most, would argue that the pride of this place goes to Joker. He is often seen as Batman's opposite: the dark to Batman's light, the crazy to batman's sane, the chaos to Batman's order. But that's not the case, as many great comic
Sam Quixote
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Dick Grayson sheds Batman's cowl and slips back into the cape-less, newly re-coloured Nightwing outfit. Dick's old stomping ground, Haly's Circus, is back in town and the past comes crowding back as familiar faces bring haunted memories of the night he lost his parents - The Flying Graysons - in an acrobatic disaster. But mystery shrouds everything as a vicious figure with claws - talons? - is hunting Nightwing, enigmatically labelling Grayson "Gotham's fiercest killer". And Dick's about to find ...more
Chris
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Traps And Trapezes sees Dick Grayson confronting his past as Haly's Circus returns to Gotham City, bringing murder and mystery with it. Spanning across seven chapters the plot has plenty of time to build, although it's definitely one issue too many. After battling an assassin and reuniting with old friends, chapter five features the summoning of a rhyming demon, of all things. Even Nightwing himself comments that it's "SO out of (his) wheelhouse it's not even funny".

This was likely due to writer
Sesana
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I never read much Nightwing in the past, so I had essentially no baggage going into the New 52 version. Of course, being a Bat book, very little, if anything, was changed.

I wish Higgins had spent maybe a few more pages dealing with Grayson's adjustment from Batman back to Nightwing. Is it a demotion? Dick doesn't seem to think so, and I get his point. At this point, being Batman would essentially require doing a fairly convincing Bruce-as-Batman impression on top of fighting crime, and as
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
I know a lot of N52 books are a toss up for some fans but this series is a great introduction to Dick Grayson. It's not the overall best series for Dick but it goes over his origin and how he came to work with Batman. Dick's pretty well characterized and it features enough action and excitement to keep my attention. I recommend it to anyone that wants an easy introduction to Nightwing.
Roy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was closer to 4 than 3. Enjoyed the story but felt at times it was a little predictable.
Kurt
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
Ergh. This is a good jumping-on point for those of us who don't know Nightwing, in that it gets into Dick Grayson's origin story and gives him a new start by reconnecting him with his childhood circus family. I like the way the series ties into other Bat-titles that I like much better (Nightwing's costume evokes Batwoman's, and the story here ties closely to the Court of Owls stuff going on in Batman's series), but I don't really understand why DC needs to put out so many Bat-books, and based on ...more
Patrick
I knew I always liked Robin 'The Boy Wonder'/Nightwing. This comic was great. I really liked Dick Grayson from when I first saw him in Haly's Circus in the Batman Chronicles to now. I don't really connect with superheroes who have the closest thing to a perfect life. Grayson had it rough and those are the characters most of us relate to. I liked how Grayson learned from his misfortunes and didn't let them drag him down but learned from them and used them to help himself grow stronger.

"I used to
'kris Pung
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good start but the whole old friend turned villain thing has been done to death in my opinion. That said I did like how they tied it all together with Snyder's court of owls arc (which I read a lifetime ago so the details are a bit fuzzy).
Tiara
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, I have something to say to get it out of my system.

Dick talks too damn much. I know it's a diversion, but my goodness! In my head, he sounds just like he does in Under the Red Hood (as voiced by Neil Patrick Harris), and it’s just nonstop, aggravating chatter in my head. It’s somewhat funny in a way that I say that, though. I remember thinking the exact same thing about him during the Batman R.I.P. story. On the next couple of pages in that comic, Dick says that he knows he talks too much
Scott
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Probably more like 3.5 stars, though I'm interested enough to want to read Vol. 2.

Dick Grayson runs away and (re)joins the circus . . .

Well, not exactly like that, but we get to experience Grayson a.k.a. Nightwing temporarily leaving his Gotham beat and traveling to a few different southern locales (via circus train) for his adventures. And like a train, the book is a little slow-moving at first but eventually picks up speed as he pursues a mysterious assassin.
Kay
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Second time reading. Rating around 2.5.

Art isn't great.
I didn't enjoy the art by Eddy Barrow or Trevor McCarthy. Raya and Babs have the same face (in South Beach Connection drawn by Trevor McCarthy). They are even wearing the same green eyeshadow.

Writing-wise, Raya's relationship with Dick reads lazy. There just isn't any work put into making them a believable couple. I didn't feel any attraction in the writing or see it in the art. Dick and Raya just get together and we're supposed to believe
Georgie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dick is back in bed but with who, starfire? No, babs? No, actually some chick from his old circus

Traps and trapezes - nightwing is done being Batman and is back to being nightwing and the circus he grew up in named halys circus is back in Gotham and dick feels nostalgic and starts screwing the girl he knew when he was young. Aside from that he is being hunted by a murderer named saiko for revenge reasons.

My thoughts - I was skeptical at first about dicks new suit with the black and red but
Mike
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
This is a pleasant surprise. I keep discovering small hidden pockets of storytelling talent buried under the dung heap that is the New 52. Nightwing is a reasonably fun book with a too-optimistic-for-his-own-good lead character, and a backstory that just seems to flow together like it wasn't just shat out between lunch and a martini.

I really enjoy how natural and not terribly forced the circus backstory feels, that this is deeply convinced these are the most important details to learn about Dick
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Whilst the plot isn't anything too special, and there are a few issues mid-arc that feel a little filler-ish, Higgins makes Nightwing an enjoyable protagonist, and his narration keeps the book flowing nicely. I also liked the addition of Batgirl for an issue, and everything comes to a head nicely. The art is also excellent, even with two or three fill-in artists to keep things on target. Eagerly awaiting volume 2.
Jwaria
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, batfam
Kyle Higgins did a great job writing nightwing.But i wish it focused more on nightwing than his love life.Basically this volume is the beginning of the court of owls.But i wish they included more members of the batfam, would've been more interesting.I hope in the next volume they focus more on the hero than the guy under the mask.Other than these small flaws it was a great solid story.
Rizwan
It doesn't look like that at first (or even in the middle) but its a required reading after Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls, and a prerequisite before reading the crossover event Batman: The Night of the Owls to better understand the workings of the mythical Court of Owls. I did read in that order, and its a fun acrobatic-action romp from my favorite Nightwing and mysteries involving his childhood circus, both because of the connections with Batman's larger story-arc and on its own as a ...more
MC
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nightwing, Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes records the adventures of Dick Grayson in the post-Flashpoint New 52 DC universe. We don't learn everything about Dick in this volume, but we do get snippets here and there of the overall changes between his life pre- and post-Flashpoint. The main purpose of the story in this volume, however, was to tie the series in with the other “Batfamily” titles, especially in terms of Barbara Gordon's recovery from her injuries and the “Court of Owls” story.

As the
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dcu
For me, the treatment of Dick Grayson was going to be the litmus test for the New 52. If there is one thing I love as much as the LSH, it is Nightwing.

With the New 52 reboot, writer, Kyle Higgins, has managed to retain most of what fans liked about Dick Grayson in the previous DCU continuity. He is snarky, sarcastic, smart-assed and impertinent; however, as Higgins successfully showcases, all of those traits are a superficial cover-up for Grayson's shortcomings and ineptitudes.

In "Traps and
Aaron
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting and decently-executed bit of superhero mystery, but still feels deeply familiar the entire time. Higgins crafts a solid narrative that unfolds at a thrilling pace, trickling out new information exactly when you need it, managing to avoid colliding too much with the events going on in the larger Batman-iverse at this time, while still remaining tied to them in a way that surprised even me, a true comics grump. I really appreciated aspects of this book.

Unfortunately, it just didn't
Hillary
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-review-yet
If this was my first encounter with Nightwing/Dick Grayson I think I still would've given it 3 stars.
However, it isn't. Yes, the NEW 52 changed the DC Universe, and I'm very surprised how normal Dick Grayson is now. One of the villans states to Nightwing "You're only supposed to be the fiercest killer. Nobody said anything about the greatest detective." And it is so true. This Nightwing has so much more action than crime solving on the page.
I haven't read all the other NEW 52 titles (I remain a
Fluffyroundabout
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
"Sopping wet, ribs on fire, a bladed guy trying to kill me...and it's not even Friday yet."
That pretty much gives you an idea of what to expect from this comic. Nightwing traps and trapezes is FULL of ACTION and MYSTERY. Dick has to face his past as haly's circus returns to Gotham. Around this time a mysterious assassin by the name of "saiko" tries to kill dick for reasons unknown. To uncover who this man is Nightwing follows the circus searching for clues... However there is much more to haly's
Otherwyrld
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this one quite a bit, especially as I have not previously been that invested in Nightwing as a character. Even though this is a New 52 title, it isn't so much of a reboot as a revision of the character's back story, particularly fleshing out the former Robin's early life in the circus, particularly following the tragic deaths of his parents.

The reveal of the villain is perhaps a little underwhelming as the character is underwritten and there was too little foreshadowing of his
Justin Vessel
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
As someone who is still new to DC, I really enjoyed this book. There was a great, solid, witty voice to Dick Grayson that made it interesting to read. And I thought his backstory and challenges fit well with who the character. There were a few moments I thought it was kind of slow but that's what we have to sacrifice sometimes.
Joelle (Throne of books)
DICK GRAYSON.
That is all.
Kenny
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great back story to set up what's yet to come. Review to follow.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #96 NIghtwing vol 1: Traps and Trapezes 1 1 Jul 29, 2015 09:04PM

• Batman and Robin, Volume 1: Born to Kill
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel
  • Batman and Robin, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Grayson, Volume 1: Agents of Spyral
  • Batman, Volume 2: The City of Owls

Nightwing (2011) (5 books)
  • Nightwing, Volume 2: Night of the Owls
  • Nightwing, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Nightwing, Volume 4: Second City
  • Nightwing, Volume 5: Setting Son
“At the end of the day, my past isn't my biggest weakness, it's my biggest strength--it's what makes me who I am.” 0 likes
“Everything feels familiar and different...all at the same time. I guess that's the thing about revisiting your past. It's easy for it to become your present.” 0 likes