Start by marking “Legends of the Dark Knight: Alan Davis” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Dark Knight: Alan Davis

Legends of the Dark Knight: Alan Davis

(Modern Batman #39)

After a run on BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS, artist Alan Davis moved on to the Dark Knight's solo adventures in DETECTIVE COMICS. Davis's slick, exciting style brought Batman's battles with The Joker, Catwoman, The Scarecrow and The Mad Hatter to vivid life.
Published February 12th 2013 by DC Comics (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Dark Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Dark Knight

Gianfranco Mancini

A solid volume collecting Barr and Davis' Silver Age cheesy stories.

Alan Davis' art is just over the top and I liked a lot the Detective Comics 50th adniversary issue team-up with Sherlock Holmes (!!!), but sometimes Mike W. Barr's version of Batman just goes totally out of rails... using a creep as human shield in front of young Jason Todd/Robin???

Oh, good grief...
Martin
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Collecting Alan Davis' work on Detective Comics of 1986 and 1987 (#s 569-575), Batman: Full Circle (1991), and a short story created for Batman: Black & White (2002), and featuring such villains as Catwoman, Joker, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, and the Reaper, this book is a look back at simpler times in comics - certainly more light-hearted... except maybe for Batman: Full Circle, which skirts the edge of 'dark & gritty'. This collection of stories includes Detective Comics #572 (celebrating 5 ...more
Josh
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This could just as easily have been branded as a Mike Barr collection. Full Circle is really the only story here that I felt was somewhat weak. It feels like something just waiting to be retconned. Other than that, I found the stories very entertaining and a nice middle ground between the wacky Silver Age and modern morose versions of the character(s). Art-wise, the only "knock" I would give is Davis' Robin makes some really goofy faces. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it stuck out. Luckil ...more
David
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Top-notch tales of Batman from yesteryear when he was still a detective and a good man.
Nate
Oct 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: comics, read-2018
Collecting Alan Davis’ brief Detective Comics run plus two later stories, this book is an interesting read. The Detective issues came directly after Crisis, so it’s surprising that they take on a campy, Batman '66 tone - Bruce smiles and says “chum”, while Robin dishes out puns. I guess Davis and writer Mike Barr (who pens every story in the volume) didn’t care about the dark direction Batman was headed at the time. These issues actually aren’t bad, but awkwardness arises when the light tone mix ...more
Oscar Salas
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hace muchos años, cuando editorial Zinco publicó estas historias, pasé de ellas. Tras haber leído Año Uno y The Dark Knight Returns, volver a cruzarse con un Batman camp y en dupla con un sonriente Robin parecía un despropósito. Además, escribía Mike W.Barr, ese guionista latero de la fallida Batman: Año Dos.
Bueno, todo eso fue un error.
¿Por que reutilizar plots como el Jokermóvil, El Sombrerero Loco robando en un estadio donde se produce un "hat-trick", o que un misterio se resuelva con juegos
Oscar Amador
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Un deleite este compendio.

Para quienes fuimos niños en los 80 éste es sin duda un libro obligado. Dinámico, divertido, con ese sabor post-crisis que tanto me gustaba.

Eso sí, aunque creo que debería dársele más reconocimiento a W. Barr por esta etapa, el trabajo de Davis es sencillamente maravilloso.

Puntos extra por la historia de Sherlock Holmes.

Me hizo muy feliz esta lectura.
Heath Lowrance
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The last hoorah, really, of the pre-Crisis Batman, before Frank Miller convinced the comic-reading world that Batman was a psychopath. Yeah, the stories are a bit goofy, but they're huge fun and the art is gorgeous. I still have these original issues and I consider them one of the greatest of all Batman runs.
Victor Orozco
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this collection solely for the Batman Year Two sequel, so I didn’t know much of the other works of this collection. I got to say, it’s a nice way to spend some time.

The late 1980s was a nice way to get a handle of the DC Comics Post Crisis era. With most of the characters basically the same this collection didn’t need to change too much about the story other than getting a grasp of things before some of the more major changes that would follow in Batman’s stories over time.

To start off
Luana
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alan Davis' art coupled with Mike Barr's writing were the Batman combo I didn't know I needed! Dynamic (hehhh) and expressive, Davis imbues Gotham with so much life you'll just breeze through this unfortunately fairly overpriced collection in a few hours.

I hadn't really been aware of Mike Barr, but his take on the Dark Knight -- essentially a slightly more serious Adam West in a 1980s Daredevilesque colorful crime world -- may have become my personal favorite all in the course of one collection
Andrew
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book collects my personal favorite run of Batman stories. In these pages, writer Mike W. Barr and artist Alan Davis successfully meld the darker, more serious tone of the early 40s/70s/80s Batman stories with the lighter, more fun stories from the late 40s and 50s. There are serious, grim, dramatic moments side by side with colorful, larger than life plots and villains, wacky puns, and fights involving giant props. Barr's stories perfectly fuse these elements together, without the juxtaposi ...more
Bill
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's an odd duck of a Batman run, with writer Mike W. Barr combining bits of the grim Dark Knight and the lighthearted Caped Crusader (made all the more odd by being more or less contemporaneous with Miller & Mazzuchelli's Batman: Year One), but if you don't worry about how and where they fit they're a hell of a lot of fun. The real star, though (and the nominal reason for this collection's existence), is the amazing artwork of Alan Davis (with inker Mark Farmer), which is enhanced by the hi ...more
Marc Pastor
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Per fi he pogut acabar algunes de les històries que van quedar penjades quan era un nen. En un temps en el qual els còmics/tebeos es compraven a la papereria de sota de casa, si et perdies un número passaves al següent i qui dia passa any empeny.
El meu Batman és aquest, el d'Alan Davis. És camp i naïf, lluimós i ple de coloraines, sí. Però els llapissos de Davis segueixen meravellant-me.
Llàstima que la història de Moriarty sigui tan fluixeta
Jorge Magano
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yo no sé nada de cómics, ni de superhéroes ni de nada.
Pero el encuentro de Batman con Holmes me ha hecho soltar la lagrimica. Y el final con esa reinterpretación reflexiva del origen de Batman es de lo mejorcito que me han contado hasta ahora sobre el hombre murciélago. Puro Camus, oiga.

Lo demás, un festival de acrobacias y color la mar de entretenido.
Yosef Shapiro
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very well written stories. I had forgotten how light hearted the early Jason Todd stories were. I would rather think of him this way and not the creature that he later was to become in more recent Batman comics.
John Smith
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
a decent collection of mid 1980s Batman stories are illustrated by Alan Davis. whose art is always top notch and it was great to be able to read some of these Batman stories which I had never read.
Michael
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
These stories are implausible, misogynistic, and unintentionally humorous.

But the art is a pleasure to look at, which is the point.
Anne Barwell
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A trip down memory lane with classic Batman stories. Some have dated a little but still a solid read.
Matt
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A solid collection of stories by Mike W. Barr and--the star of this collection--Alan Davis. Beautifully reprinted, this collection reminds you of the underrated genius talent of Alan Davis.
Josh Mahoney
Jan 07, 2014
Brian Williams
Apr 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alan Davis is an English writer and artist of comic books, known for his work on titles such as Captain Britain, The Uncanny X-Men, ClanDestine, Excalibur, JLA: The Nail and JLA: Another Nail and others.

Modern Batman (1 - 10 of 218 books)
  • Batman: Year One