Start by marking “Supergirl, Volume 1: Last Daughter of Krypton” as Want to Read:

(Supergirl (2011) #1)

A New York Times Best Seller!

As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics - The New 52 event of September 2011, meet Supergirl. She's got the unpredictable behavior of a teenager, the same powers as Superman - and none of his affection for the people of Earth. Crash landing on a strange new planet, Supergirl must come to grips with Krypton's destruction with her cousin Superman an
Published October 23rd 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Supergirl, Volume 1, please sign up.
Kaitee Hart Krypton has a blue sun instead of a yellow one like ours. So, when she came to Earth, the yellow sun granted her powers unlike our own. I don't necess…moreKrypton has a blue sun instead of a yellow one like ours. So, when she came to Earth, the yellow sun granted her powers unlike our own. I don't necessarily know how that works, but that's how it does. (On the show, at least; I don't know about anything else).(less)

Start your review of Supergirl, Volume 1: Last Daughter of Krypton
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Formulaic and fistfight forward, it's intelligently implemented, impact-imbued, and informed by impeccable instinct.
Anne
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard much about this new Supergirl (good or bad), so I was happily surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Kara wakes up after her ship/pod crashes on earth, but without any memory of how she ended up on the ship to start with. She is immediately attacked (or so she thinks) by giant robots speaking a foreign language. The onslaught of her new powers is disorienting, and coupled with her inability to speak our language, she can't figure out what is happening/has happened to her.
On
Leah
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written by: Michael Green, Mike Johnson
Illustrated by: Mahmud Asrar

Well, I’ve read another one of DC’s New 52 comics, and once again, I really enjoyed it. Maybe it’s because I’m still incredibly new to DC's universe and have no basis of comparison, but I just thought this was an interesting origin story.

I really didn’t know much about Kara Zor-El (Supergirl), and I have no idea if this origin story is different than her original one, but it works. It
Shannon
It had its moment but was typically above average. They could have done a lot more with this origin tale but instead it's just pretty art with a pedestrian telling.

OVERALL GRADE: C plus to B minus.
Mike
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
When I started the New 52 line of DC Comics, I had not originally intended to pick up the Superman Family line of collections. But, I am a completist at heart, and it felt wrong to leave one of the world's finest superhero characters out of the mix. (See what I did there?) So, one thing led to another, and I am trying to catch up Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl.
I think this book is going to waver between great and mediocre for a while. How it all plays out,will depend on two things -- fir
Emmett Spain
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
The New 52 reboot presents an updated origin story that doesn't mess with any of the established framework of the character's history, which is good news for fans and those looking for a place of jump on to see what the character is all about.

Sadly, despite excellent art, the first collection is a complete letdown. Heavy handed dialogue, a boring and largely unnecessary internal monologue that describes action we can clearly see, and a story that amounts to little more than: Kara arrives, Kara f
James DeSantis
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't half bad. I mean, it's been tough finding a really GOOD Supergirl story so me saying this isn't bad is a big thing. So New52 basically rebooted most characters and Supergirl is no exception. She comes to earth similar ways of her original origin once more. She lands on earth and is confused on what is happening.

The story is basically one big confusion and fight. Kara goes after Clark because she's scared. She hears the truth, and doesn't believe it. Goes into Space to find the truth
Eli
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, dc-comics
Great introduction to Supergirl for those who are not familiar with her. The artwork was good and the dialogue was good, but this had a great deal of character development for a first volume. And another plus, it didn't have to sacrifice action for development, because there was a ton of that too. Can't wait to see what else Kara has in store for us.

P.S. I don't mean to come off as prude or anything, but I still don't see why her outfit is so skimpy in the genital region. She's supposed to be a
Mike
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting attempt to give us a peek into the perspective of a confused alien when she shows up on planet Earth and gets attacked by various people. That's the best part of this otherwise passable book.

She gets pretty damned angry at Superman when he shows up, and while it's "explained" why, given that the writer has created the scenario in the first place, it's a lame way of showing that she can throw punches and other superpowers against the one "safe" guy that shows she's his equal. BOR-ING
Sans
Kara, can you please calm yourself for two damn seconds and not punch everything all the time.
Kristin Davison
This bind up contains the first six issues of Supergirl (the new 52). This is a really good place to start for someone just getting into comic books, like me. DC Comics discontinued all of there comics in 2011 to create the new 52, a new range of comics starring all of the big superheroes starting from the start of there stories.
Supergirl comes to earth in a meteor shower and doesn't have any understanding of what has happened, she meets Superman and promptly punches him in the face. She learns
Leo
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, comics
Wow, an actual New 52 book that starts at the beginning, for those who don't know the character at all.
A mysterious ship crashes in Siberia and from it emerges a girl dressed like Superman. Out of place and instantly attacked, Kara wants to wake up from this dream. Or is it a nightmare?
If you don't know her, look no further for a book because this is the perfect introduction to Supergirl. We put ourselves in Kara's shoes as she tries to make sense of where she is and why she suddenly stronger t
Angie
One of the (many) things the new 52 has struggled with is introducing their characters all over again, all the while making sure that the characters keep their essence as they give their origins an update or two or three. Sadly, most writers have not exactly succeeded at this in ways that can make these changes feel organic, but this title may very well be one of the exceptions.

Kara's thoughts are refreshing; she's a teenager - and it certainly reads like she's one, thankfully - and she does her
Kyle
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dcu
Dear DC Comics: stop dressing women in such degrading costumes. Period. No arguments allowed. Comply or go away.

Not even a luke-warm origin story with minor canonical tweaks can cover up the fact that you have a GIANT RED TRIANGLE pointing to this girl's private parts. It's stupid. There's no excuse for it in this day in age. Just stop. Respect your audience, for gawd's sake!

I had heard so much about this New 52 Supergirl, and I was completely underwhelmed by it. She has a couple of new powers
Sara Jesus
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think that supergirl ( after Wonder Women) is one of the best super heroines. I love the tv show. The BD is great but the adaptaion is even better.

When I read this I though that would be similiar to tv show. However is a little diferent. In this version there is no Alex, no Jimmy and no Winn. I love Winn. Why don´t have Winn in the comic? In the other way it have Cat Grant. She is the best. When I began to watch the tv show I love the friendship bettewn Cat and Kara. Also I think that is great
Jordan Lahn
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a bad introduction to the character. I haven't read much DC, and I've never read Supergirl before, but with the TV show starting I thought I should check it out. She's an interesting twist on the Superman character, with the same powers but she hasn't had years to get used to the idea of being on Earth. The art is good. The writing is alright. Ultimately it's setting up a character and her motivation for the rest of the series, and it's a good enough start that I may one day go back and chec ...more
B.M.B. Johnson
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael Green does a great job of presenting Supergirl as a newcomer to Earth:

Kara discovers she has strange new powers (thanks the power of the yellow Sun?? -- yeah, it's a thing), can't speak the language and on top of it all, her nephew (Supes himself) has grown into an adult, if it's truly him at all.

Not only that but a creepy billionaire wants to steal her essence, and the beastly WorldKillers from Krypton want her to join their quest or die.

Needless to say, it's a pretty stressful day.
Callie *Fights Censorship*
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
Just average. I liked it enough to continue the series and enjoyed it more than Superman's New 52 debut but there was just something missing that made it a little lackluster. I love that Kara feels alien but I also want to connect with her and I feel like there wasn't a ton of character development.

There were also things tacked on here and there that felt forced, for example, the end fight sequence. The baddies mention that they have put a force field around the city so that Superman cannot inte
Anchorpete
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would like to take the last issue of this book, and show it to all of the people who are ok with the end of 'Man of Steel'. In this book, we see Supergirl, who has just crashed on Earth, and isn't even aware of the fact that she left Krypton.
She doesn't even start speaking English by the end of the trade.
She is a teenage girl from Krypton looking for answers. She does interact with at least one human that shows her compassion, but otherwise everyone else attacks her, and a few try to exploit
Meghan
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are three things that everyone should know about Supergirl going into volume one. One: she has a real name and it's Kara, two: she is Superman's cousin, and three: she kicks ass! Supergirl volume one is part of DC comics The New 52 series. What this means is that it is basically the re-boot of Supergirl. For those reader's like me, who never got into Supergirl, this is her story but with a new twist to it. You don't need to know anything back story of Supergirl because you're starting at t ...more
Alex Sarll
I've never really been a fan of Supergirl - she's a brand extension who damages the uniqueness of Superman, and when she's used as a contrast to him, it tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth (because pretty much by definition, he's perfect, so the contrast is always some variation of her being imperfect). Think about it - of the great Superman stories, she's only in 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?', and even there she's dead. And has there ever been a great Supergirl story? The clos ...more
Gavin
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Don't know a ton about Supergirl, but figured the New 52 is the time to get into all the things I don't know. I really enjoyed this, especially the interactions with Superman in the first part of the book, and how she was in a very similar situation with Kal, but completely different events occurred. Like the villains they've set up, and that they explained why Superman didn't show up when there was a showdown in NYC. Common sense dictated that he would be there, so the explanation was much appr ...more
Patty
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphic
Source: Library
I feel like I'm the black sheep of the group for this one. Everyone else seemed to of really enjoyed Supergirl. Yet I found it just didn't do anything for me. Might have to try re-read this at a later date...
Shannon
I would've liked this a lot more if she wasn't so pissed off all the time. Settle down and listen! Omg, there's a guy dressed just like you and you can't even let him finish a sentence? Girl, please.
Albert
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Supergirl, Vol. 1: Last Daughter of Krypton is the reboot from the NEW 52 line and may be one of the better origins to come about for the character that has been for the most part, an afterthought in the DC Universe until she became a popular television character. Something the current Supergirl comic book is trying to capitalize upon.

"...Have you ever had that feeling...like you've been asleep for a really long time? For what seems like a lifetime. And you have crazy dreams. Things you didn't e
Jenny Clark
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I actually really like this version of Kara, it does not seam overly cheesy or confusing. She is confused, but most of what has happened is more or less cleared up. I am interested in seeing how her and Superman's relationship develops in later volumes, and in learning more about the world killers.
The Kryptonians that created them in this rather remind of the Andilates from Animorphs. Be interesting to see if Kara comes across that way later or not.
Ricky Ganci
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-52
In a volume of almost total exposition and introduction, perhaps the most striking aspect of Kara Zor-El and her story is the fact that she seems utterly unable to reconcile her solitude to the fact that her home planet of Krypton has been destroyed. That, beyond anything else, helps strike the balance between her incredible strength, speed, and ability range and her age.

It seems important to remember that Kara is young, lest she become a female Superman, or a blonde Wonder Woman, or a superpowe
Grey Liliy
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the big surprise for the New52 comics for me--I loved this series. I've never been a big fan of Supergirl in the past, but after this--I'm head over heels for her now, and can't wait for more.

The art team for this book, first of all, is amazing. I just have to put that out there front and foremost--this is one of the most gorgeous books in the New52 and it's consistently beautiful, well structured, and full of life. The layouts, the style (faces, body types, expressions), the muted colo
Chris Lemmerman
This actually bounces between 3 and 4 stars, but since I can't give halves, it's going with 3 for now.

I've never read much Supergirl outside of Pre-Flashpoint Superman crossovers, but having heard decent things about this series from friends and liking her over in Red Lanterns I thought I'd give this a go, and I've not regretted it, I'm just a little underwhelmed at the moment.

The first four issues or so are extremely quick reads, and I think if I'd read them in single issue form I'd have felt r
Arturo
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-2012-new-52
The 1st issue is good, a fresh start, tweaks in the origin. Somehow it starts becoming bland, especially when its the old 'won't listen, throws tantrum, fights Superman' thing happens. Its not too bad though, kinda makes me think maybe my sister would like to read it. I say that because her internal monologue reminds me of how a girl kinda is, she might over think things might be slightly more sensitive then usual. I hope I don't get my head chewed off for generalizing girls lol. But it's defini ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Supergirl, Volume 3: Sanctuary
  • Supergirl, Volume 4: Out of the Past
  • Teen Titans, Volume 1: It's Our Right to Fight
  • Superman, Volume 1: What Price Tomorrow?
  • Superboy, Volume 1: Incubation
  • Nightwing, Volume 1: Traps and Trapezes
  • Supergirl, Volume 2: Escape from the Phantom Zone
  • Aquaman, Volume 1: The Trench
  • The Flash, Vol. 2: Rogues Revolution
Michael Green is an American television and film writer, as well as a comic book scripter. Green grew up in Mamaroneck, New York.

Green has been a contributor for Superman/Batman. He will also co-write a Green Lantern movie with Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, set for release in 2011. He wrote the six-issue story arc "Lovers and Madmen" for Batman Confidential.
Green was a producer and writer on

Supergirl (2011) (6 books)
  • Supergirl, Volume 2: Girl in the World
  • Supergirl, Volume 3: Sanctuary
  • Supergirl, Volume 4: Out of the Past
  • Supergirl, Volume 5: Red Daughter of Krypton
  • Supergirl, Volume 6: Crucible

Articles featuring this book

You know winter is coming. You don't blink around statues. You're a true believer. When it comes to escapism, you're an expert. To...