Start by marking “Genshiken: Second Season, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Genshiken: Second Season, Vol. 1

Genshiken: Second Season, Vol. 1

(Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II #1)

BACK TO SCHOOL

A new academic year means new members for the lovably misfit Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture! Club president Chika Ogiue now has to manage a fresh-faced trio of yaoi fans (one of whom dabbles in cross-dressing), a surly American transfer student with a penchant for obscure anime quotes, and her own rising career as a professional
Published September 4th 2012 by Kodansha Comics (first published May 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Genshiken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genshiken

Gabrielle
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good follow up to the manga of the same name. As most of the original casts graduated, the club continues on with new members that are more out of ordinary cliché characters that are usually reserved to geeks. From a (maybe) trans character who was bullied/not accepted to a woman who keeps to herself and to an American who pretends to be weird but in reality wiser than she looks. This follow up got me intrigued for I enjoyed the previous "season".
Comedy and heartfelt drama at its best
Anna
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Its now a "fujoushi" club... but unlike the previous members, these girls are just not as likable, not yet anyway
Ashley Perry
I'm so glad that the original author decided to continue the series. The transition from boys club to fujoshi circle is definitely a change but a welcome one. As always this series is addressing a lot of real life issues that a lot of young adults (nerds and none-nerd alike) have to face. The new characters are lovable and I really want to see more of their lives in this story. Can't wait to get my hands on the next book.
Josée
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, japon
Série qui explore la sous-culture japonaise : manga, anime, cosplay, etc. Tous les tomes sont très intéressants, et on apprend beaucoup. (Quoique la saison 2 soit moins bonne que la première...)
Kurtis Burkhardt
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This part is as boring and pointless as the first part...😟😴💕📖📖
Chibineko
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: addicting
There's going to be some mixed emotions about some of the content in this book, because at times it feels so vastly different than the first "season" of Genshiken. This is both a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Part of what made the original set of Genshiken manga so much fun was how realistic it felt, giving so many of us a feeling of "we've totally experienced this". To an extent this is still present in this volume, but over all of this there's a veneer of complete and
Sean O'Hara
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, slice-o-life, otaku
I didn't know what to expect from this. I mean, the original Genshiken ended so perfectly -- all the characters from the start of the series graduated and went off to start careers, leaving the club in the hands of three capable underclassmen. Obladi-oblada, life goes on. Is a sequel really necessary? Especially one that shifts the dynamics of the club significantly?

Well, maybe not necessary, but it is good.

The new series picks up a few weeks after the original with Ogiue now club president. Sin
Laura (ローラ)
Genshiken Second Season Volume 1 (or just Genshiken Volume 10)? I'm not otaku enough to know why this was released as "second season" -- but I can assume it was to confuse fans into thinking that this was a new series and to buy it even if they didn't have the first season.

It's a new season -- but all of the original characters are still there. They just don't necessarily come to club meetings anymore. Except maybe Madarame-kun.

The new president, Ogiue has set out to find new members to join the
Kim Dyer
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I really wasn't sure where the 'second season' would go after the end of Genshiken but I wasn't disappointed. The series didn't feel as though it was retreading old ground. The now mostly female cast offer a whole new dynamic (though the old guard do still cameo from time to time).

The new characters are an interesting bunch, with cross-dressing Hato being the primary focus of this volume. The one thing that did frustrate me was Yajima's attitude toward him (I really can't believe no one called h
Alexander Case
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anime and manga fans
Shelves: anime-manga, fandom
I'm going to admit that I'm kind of oddly disappointed by the fact that Kenjiro Hato isn't transgender, though as the series stands thus far, it's entirely possible that the character could be revealed down the road as being TG after all, but in denial.

Still, it's a good continuation of Genshiken, and it's a nice new start. It's also nice to be a series focused on otaku that isn't focused entirely on material for male audiences, though we'll probably have some stuff along those lines in later vo
Kris
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Starts off slow, but once they start to show off the new characters' personalities and interests and have them interact with the old group it really picks up. Bonus: they have not forgotten the big unresolved plotline from the first series. Yeah, you know which one I mean.
Sarah Hayes
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Oh no, I've fallen in love with Genshiken all over again. Now I have the urge to make a doujinshi! Too bad I can't draw, kol kol kol. And to the surprise of no one, Hato-kun is my favorite of the new club members. Fundanshi who crossplay for the win!
Kate
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unspeakably hilarious.
Kevin
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, comics
Not as great as the first nine volumes but I'm so glad that Shimoku restarted Genshiken and I hope it goes for a very long run
Kevin
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, japan, humor
Not as good as the original, but it's still Genshiken.
Crystal (VanillaHearts62)
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't like the new cast of characters as much as the old ones, but it was still a good read!
Ann-Marie Bowdler
Dec 20, 2018
Hugh
Mar 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Shimoku Kio (木尾 士目) is a Japanese manga artist best known for his manga Genshiken, which was originally serialized in the Afternoon Magazine. It was later published in Japan by Kodansha, which produces Afternoon Magazine, and by Del Rey in the United States. Genshiken is an anime, manga, and light novel series about a college otaku club and its members.

Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 11