Start by marking “Ten Poems to Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In Ten Poems to Say Goodbye, the newest addition to the celebrated Ten Poems series, Roger Housden continues to highlight the magic of poetry, this time as it relates to personal loss. But while the selected poems in this volume may focus upon loss and grief, they also reflect solace, respite, and joy.

A goodbye is an opportunity for kindness, for forgiveness, for intimac
Published February 21st 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Poems to Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

Guy
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
“Your experience is not yours alone” kim addonizio.

Roger Housden quotes this in one of the book chapters and for me it was the greatest message of the book – both as a writer and as a reader. We are not alone in the universe, in this life. What ever it is we are feeling or going through someone else has experienced or is experiencing too. As a reader I find it a relief and as a writer I find it helping in remembering that I can rely on my own experiences within my writing. Even the most personal
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed poetry this weekend and rather than looking around my own library, I went to Barnes & Noble. Most of the fiction I read any more is via Kindle or Audible. However, for me, poetry still is best served on paper in a "real" book.

I spent two days on my screened porch reading this. I have liked Housdon's other compilations and this did not diasappoint. I especially liked the inclusion of Leonard Cohen and also listened to the song version of that particular poem.

As I prepare to send my
SOAL
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book in this series (I didn't read any of the ones in between the first and last), I liked the poems Housden chose and the info about the poets but felt that the essays on the poems tended to over-explain them. There were a few pearls to be found here and there, but, having now looked at two of these "Ten Poems" books, I probably won't try any of the others.

I checked this one out of the library, in part, because I thought the first one was a noble effort and subsequent volumes
Kelly
This is a Good Reads First Reads giveaway book.
I wasn't sure what to expect giving the title "Ten Poems to Say Goodbye". I initially imagined a book filled with poems by the author. I was not familiar with Roger Housden's work which includes other books of theme oriented poems. This book is a compilation of selected poems by several authors. Mr. Housden gives his interpretation of each literary piece providing background on the writer and offering his explanation of how the words can provide sol
Melissa
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Poetry is something that I want to read but I end up giving up because I don't feel I'm really understanding what the poet is saying. I loved that Roger Housden takes a poem and breaks it down both in context of the language and the poet's life. I'm looking forward to buying more of his Ten Poems series.
This was a nice selection of poems about death, leaving a lover, watching a child leave. They were all very touching and in some cases gut wrenching in their feelings of loss.
Tanya
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I liked poem 6, "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden. Some others I read were more obscure. Not in the mood for obscure poetry, nor a lengthy exposition to go along with it. I think I'd like it better if I were in the mood to study poetry rather than needing to be moved. "Waving Goodbye" was good.
Ashley
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Hard to give a book with incredible poetry less than 4 stars. Housden's readings are fine; we all have our own readings to bring to each of the poems contained herein. Finally found the solace I was seeking in Leonard Cohen's (!) "Alexandra Leaving" .
Michelle
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart needed this poetry. I'm so glad that TED talk led me to seek out poetry, and I stumbled upon these poems of goodbyes. It gave my grief wings. It filled my heart with love and hope and acceptance. I look forward to blogging about these poems and all that they taught me.
Martha Gordon
I'm new to reading poetry and read this volume of poetry because each poem was followed by an essay, which I found helpful. I liked some of the poems more than others, and I have a few names of poets from this collection that I will seek out for future reading on my own.
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received as a Good Reads Giveaway.

I liked the book, just wish there were more. My favorite poem was Love Sonnet XCIV by Pablo Neruda.
Kathy Duffy
Some good poems but not as electrifying as The Ten Poems to Change Your Life.
Paul
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Housden has a unique ability to find absolutely wonderful poetry and to give full and intersting commentary about what he discovers in each poem.
Harley
Excellent book. Housden explores the world of death, grief and letting go through the lens of ten poems. Power presentation and insight.
Pamela Segger
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm struck to the heart. This book might change lives. If nothing else you will feel, deeply. Especially insightful for the words that are hard to find in dark places... Illuminating and inspiring.
Vicki
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful - thought-provoking - haunting.
Lynda Esparza
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had some personal losses recently and this book really helped with my grieving process.

I recieived this as an uncorrected proof from www.goodreads.com
Carol Feldman
Dec 29, 2016
The Kiwifruit
Apr 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...

“The greatest gift and expression of love is the gesture of open arms - let come what comes - not because you don't care, or because you hope to steel yourself against pain, but because you care so much that you are helpless to do anything else.” 1 likes