Start by marking “Sky Color” as Want to Read:
Sky Color

Sky Color

(Creatrilogy)

The sky’s no limit as the author-illustrator of The Dot and Ish winds up his Creatrilogy with a whimsical tale about seeing the world a new way.

Marisol loves to paint. So when her teacher asks her to help make a mural for the school library, she can’t wait to begin! But how can Marisol make a sky without blue paint? After gazing out the bus window and watching from her porc
Published August 28th 2012 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Sky Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sky Color

Start your review of Sky Color
Archit Ojha
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
I want an art gallery for myself now. This one is full of inspiration. Marisol adores painting and decides to paint the sky. The blue color is unavailable. Will she figure out how to draw the sky without blue?

Sheri
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring book about showing and telling how you see the world because your sky may not be blue. Encourages creativity, imagination, and new ways of seeing things.
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Look up. What color is the sky? What color would you paint the sky if there was no blue to be found? No blue paint, no blue crayons.

Marisol must paint the sky for her library’s new mural, but she cannot find the blue paint. She must come up with a way to show the world the sky in a new way. New color. The sky isn’t blue all the time.

Sky Color is a beautiful, sweet, inspirational tale filled with imagination and color that will have readers looking at the world in a whole new light. A book that
Lisa Vegan
I loved Ish and The Dot by this author; this book is considered the third of the three in “his Creatrilogy” series, according to the inside front cover of the book. And I love this book too.

It reminds me so strongly of when, as a child, I was first introduced to modern art, and would see multiple colors in faces, blue in hair, multi-colored dots that looked different close up than far away, and how it all worked. I enjoyed seeing that art then, and I enjoyed the story and art in this book.
Andrea
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this children's book was really sweet. I read it to my six-year-old last night at bedtime. We talked about the book as I flipped the pages, figuring out what the little girl was going to do. This is another great book teaching kids about using their imagination and using the natural world for creative inspiration.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gorgeous
Reynolds has created yet another gorgeous book about being yourself and finding your inner artist!
The Reading Countess
I'm planning on using this one with my Wednesday sketchbook times because...who says the sky HAS to be blue? Thanks to Peter Reynolds, who introduced the idea of ISH to my kids (and a multitude of others), they feel less compelled to ask, "Is this right?" They lean into the uncomfortable feeling of ishness and get their minds flowing with possibilities.
Audrey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
simple & colorful illustrations. good message to observe & explore the things we see everyday and make it your own and beautiful
Linda
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great for creativity. A young girl who doesn't have a "blue" color can still capture the colors of the sky.
Jordan Schmidt
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: state-awards
Today, we're going to read a book called Sky Color. (Show cover) Now when I look at this picture, I think that this book will be about the girl in the picture painting the sky. I think this because there is a little girl with paint and a paint brush and the title is Sky Color. Does anyone else have a prediction of what will happen in this book based on the title and picture on the cover? (take students answers)
When you hear the words Sky Color, what do you think of? What color do you think the
Donalyn
The final book in Reynolds' Creatrilogy invites readers to see the world in new ways. Is the sky always blue?
Elisabeth
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think we all need our "blue paint" taken away from us now and then!
Steve Holden
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Peter Reynolds and have long used Ish & Dot. I came across a section of his books recently, and I was delighted to add a couple more! This fits his style. It encourages creativity, confidence, and problem solving. I love the way the lead - Marisol - has to work through her problem to get started with her art, and I also enjoyed the reference by Reynolds to a real dilemma he faced. This is beautifully illustrated, and I've found kids love these books. The term "ish" is a common express ...more
Ron Willoughby
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved this little book. Sometimes the only time an assumption is challenged is at the point of need and then the need disappears in light of truth. The truth revealed makes room for something beautiful and striking.

As I said, I loved this little book.

Thank you Peter Reynolds for your work. It speaks to my heart and quiets some of the toughest critics in my head.
Ad Astra
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gendis-reads
Cool concept and story.
Maki
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful for growth mindset, such a simple but powerful book for kids.
Paul  Hankins
Peter H. Reynold's "creatrilogy" comes to a conclusion with Marisol and her classmates creating a mural for their school library (you know I'm sold already on the idea of a collaborative project that celebrates the gifts and talents within the group lending to a lasting contribution to the learning environment--but I digress).

When it seems as though the blue paint has gone missing, our artist-in-residence--Marisol (from ISH) has to recreate her sense of sky color.

What I l
Robin
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
TED 8650 Children's Literature

Our book today is called Sky Color. It is written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds, who also created The Dot and Ish. Do you remember what those books were about? (Students answer.) You're right, they were about kids being artistic and creative. So what will this book be about? (Students answer.) Good. So the title is Sky Color, what color is the sky? (Students answer.) We usually see a blue sky, but we also see many other colors. Let's see what happ
Maren Banwell
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: state-awards
“Before we read our story today, I’m going to give you all a little quiz. All of your answers will be a color. Are you ready? What color is an apple?” Students respond. “What color is a flower?” Students respond. “What color is the sun?” Students respond. “What color is the sky?” Students respond. “Did we all agree about the colors every time?” Students respond. “Why do you suppose that is?” Students respond. “The story we’re going to read today is called Sky Color by Peter H. Reynonlds. I want ...more
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read many books by Peter H. Reynolds. We love his artwork and his stories about creativity. His illustrations are wonderful and he has a way of telling a simple story in an inspiring and artful way.

Our girls love his books and talk about reading Ish and The Dot over and over on the Tumblebooks website (www.tumblebooks.com).

This story shows how we can improvise and find a way to create something beautiful, even if it's different from what we first expected. We really enjo
Lydia
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Marisol loves to paint and is thrilled when the class is told they'll be painting a mural! She volunteers to do the sky, but then finds out there isn't any blue paint. She'll need some inspiration to complete her task and portray the sky.

A fun story on colors and a reminder that obvious isn't always the best choice. I enjoyed the illustrations, but I had one problem... after stating there's no blue for the mural, the ocean is somehow painted blue? Hmmm...

No content issues.

Viviana
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The main character is a little girl named Marisol who sees art as the best way to express her feelings. One day, Marisol’s teacher tells the class about the mural project for the school library, which gets Marisol very excited. However, when Marisol finds out there was not more blue painting, she feels devastated because she thinks she won’t be able to paint a perfect blue sky. But, this won't get in Marisol's way.
This book is about how to channel our emotions and find a way to express them, wh
Jared White
A little girl's class is painting a mural in the school library and she selects the task of painting the sky. Marisol then discovers that there's no blue paint, how can she paint the sky without that?

This is a book with beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story concerning creativity. I love the illustrator's use of color and muted themes, as I said, it's beautiful. The majority of the pictures are muted blackish-brown and white but there are splashes of color found in the characters' artwor
Barbara
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Talented artist Marisol volunteers to paint the sky for her class mural, but when she has no blue paint, she is hesitant about what to do. Observing the sky as she travels home and then goes to bed, she returns to school inspired to paint her own version of the sky. It would be hard not to love this book with its positive message about what art is and the different visions artists often have about the world around them. The pen, ink, watercolor, gouache, and tea illustrations depict all sorts of ...more
Tj Shay
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The end of the Creatrilogy, Sky Color does not disappoint. Following in the footsteps of "The Dot" and "Ish", the book lifts the reader up with brightly colored paintings and words meant to inspire and transport. These books belong in the hands of every kid who needs to learn to be brave (which is all of them). Peter H. Reynolds has a way of gently nudging without preaching.
Walter
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as brilliant as earlier books, but after The Dot and Ish, there are high expectations. Still, this delights me, our art teachers, and our students with the reinforcement of our core belief that everyone is an artist!
Rachel Watkins
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I'm so happy to have another story featuring Marisol. With his signature watercolor illustrations, Reynolds reminds children and adults that there are no limits on what we can create and dream. After you read this, you will sigh deeply with contentment.
Kirsti Call
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book about creativity!
April Thompson
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thinking outside of the box is one of my favorite things to do. Why stay confined?
Heidi
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I loved this. For all the growing artists in life, of all ages. Beautiful pictures in watercolor/pen and an easy to read story... Also, the sky isn't just blue!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Beautiful Oops!
  • Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
  • The Museum
  • Mix It Up (Interactive Books for Toddlers, Learning Colors for Toddlers, Preschool and Kindergarten Reading Books)
  • Cloudette
  • I Need A Hug
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays
  • The Water Princess
  • Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color
  • Max Attacks
  • Cece Loves Science and Adventure (Cece Loves Science, #2)
  • Building Our House
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Perfect Square
  • The Quiet Book
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.

Creatrilogy (3 books)