Start by marking “Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers” as Want to Read:
Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers

Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers

Celebrity chef, restaurateur, and meat lover Michael Symon—of Food Network’s Iron Chef America and ABC’s The Chew—shares his wealth of knowledge and more than 100 killer recipes for steaks, chops, wings, and lesser-known cuts.

Fans across the country adore Michael Symon for his big, charismatic personality and his seriously delicious food. But there's one thing Michael is
Published October 16th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Michael Symon's Carnivore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michael Symon's Carnivore

Start your review of Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Let me preface this by saying, I cook. A lot. I call it a hobby, others call it an obsession, Sur La Table & Whole Foods call it a windfall. I've made many, many recipes by a whole host of chefs & I can honestly say I usually tinker with most recipes. There are 2 chefs I never alter their recipes-Micheal Symon & Thomas Keller. Why mess with perfection? And before I go any further there is a recipe that he's made on his show for spicy potatoes that's the shit, the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, ...more
David Williams
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael Simon talking about meat, what's not to like? The layout is excellent, the tone is enjoyable conversational and the veggie recipes are awesome.

Book received for free through Goodreads First Reads program.
Darryl Attwell
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bacon!!!! I lived this book!
J. Gowin
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I bought this book on sale for $3.00 US, and I wouldn't advise spending more than that.

I'm a hunter and fisherman so I am always looking for good recipes for game, and this book has a chapter on it. The book also has chapters on beef, pork, poultry and lamb/goat. Too bad that the recipes were mostly things that I've seen in many other books or else just didn't interest me. Out of one hundred and twenty recipes I only found about six that interested me. That is five percent. So it is another cele
Amanda
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 4-stars
Just a heads up for my dairy free friends: There is a surprising amount of dairy in this cookbook. I'd say a good 3/4 of the recipes contain dairy. I mean, I know it's not a dairy free cookbook, but I found myself saying things like, "Really, Symon? Milk in your hot dog recipe, too? Aight, aight. Didn't see that coming."

I think most of it is easy enough to work around, but if you don't feel like finagling substitutions, this is probably not the cookbook for you.
Nic Morgan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best cook book for any person who loves meat!
Pkosecki
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could go to anyone's restaurant it would be his
Bunny
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, read-in-13
I'm pretty much a fraud for even picking this up at the library, for two reasons.

1) John Besh should've won Next Iron Chef. I've never forgiven that show for picking Symon over him.

2) I'm only 1/4 carnivore. I don't eat lamb, or bunnies (OB-viously). I eat steak maybe once ever four months, and it's the cheapest kind every time because, you know. Poor. My go-to protein is chicken, and even then, it's simple chicken breasts, browned down, breaded, or baked.

However. This was on the new book shelf
Joan
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy meat then this is the book for you. If you've ever wanted to try your hand at making your own hot dogs, bacon, pastarimi, sausage, or corned beef, then this is the book for you. If you want some new recipes for cooking beef, pork, lamb, goat, poultry or game then this is the book for you. There is even a chapter on sides to go with your meat dishes.

Michael Symon gives you tips on the best ways to cook the cuts of meat you choose for your family as well as suggestions for sides to ro
Joanne
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I got this from the library to see if I wanted to add it to my ever-expanding cookbook collection. Although I really enjoyed reading it and it had some great recipes, it won't be going on my shelves, however. I like to cook, but an Iron Chef I am not, and a lot of the recipes were geared toward serious cooks! There are recipes for making your own sausages and even hot dogs, not to mention a whole chapter devoted to game. Symon also has some great recipes for offal that look great if you have a m ...more
Gail
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book in a first reads free giveaway but I still have not received my copy..I received my copy yesterday in the mail. There are some pretty interesting recipes in the book. I don't eat any wild game and some of the recipes seem pretty intense. I will be using this book as part of my gift swap gift for Christmas. Thanks for the free copy.
I just had to tell you that my son-in-law just loves the book. I had used the book with an Outback Gift Card as my swap gift and my son-in-law kept try
Dorothy
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are some really great and easy recipes in this book. I haven't book an actual hardcover book in a few years, but Michael Symon was doing a book signing at the local Barnes & Noble so I wanted to get it signed. He is such a sincere person and if you had any questions about any of the recipes in the book you could write him and he would definitely respond. They are so simple and clear though there shouldn't be any problems making these. If you love meat, any kind, even chicken you will love ...more
Lil Miss
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
I think this is great!
Tammy
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I received this as a giveaway from good reads. It has a lot of useful tips but the recipes consist of ingredients most people do not have. Also there are techniques that many people will never use. The pictures are enticing I just can't see myself ever smoking my own bacon. For those reasons it did not receive a five star.
Bonnie
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some great recipes in here, and its hard not to love a book that loves Cleveland so very, very much. However, if you've never seen the man cook or are otherwise unfamiliar with his work, there are times when you will be absolutely lost. Less a cookbook and more a 'recipes from our show/restaurant' book.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
These are not recipes for the everyday home cook. Who has the time to grind their own sausage? Not my kind of food, nut I love Michael Symon as both a chef and a tv personality, and the directions for the recipes were clear and easy to understand.
Rebecca
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like his style of cooking and the layout of this cookbook. There is something for everyone and all types of meat are separated into categories. If you have a hungry husband or are a meat eater yourself, there is a recipe for you. I won't ever find or cook wild boar, but it's in there too!
Lee
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
chefs don't always put out the best cookbooks for everyday cooking for the non chef. I'm sure his food is delicious, but I'm not going to stuff my own sausage, buy a pork tongue to make head cheese, or eat such things as lamb necks, rabbit thighs, or animal livers.

Heather
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
He wasn't kidding about this book being almost all meat...what I especially appreciate is that is is all meats from headcheese to tripe to calf liver, done in a way that isn't intimidating. For an Iron Chef this book is easy peasy with not too much ingredients and simple processes.
Kristen
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook for meat lovers!!! There are a ton of great tips.... starting with purchasing to the best way to prepare each cut of meat to side dishes to accompany them. Michael Symon is the bomb!
Jesselyn
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually rented this from the library and loved it so much I bought it!
Great recipes for my carnivore hubby who cannot understand the world's obsession with quinoa and gluten free...
Virginia
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Worth it for the meat pie and meatloaf. Nice look to it. Made pork and beans but adjusted broth amount to create best bean soup ever. I love this cookbook.
Patti
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Beautiful pictures and great reading. But the recipes are not for the average home cook.
Janet
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it enough and found some things I want to try making
Jeff
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Gathered a couple good ideas. I will definitely be attempting to home cure/smoke my own bacon and pastrami.
Marion Moreland
Aug 22, 2018
Weatherly Webb
Apr 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Where Is God When It Hurts?
  • The Bob's Burgers Burger Book: Real Recipes for Joke Burgers
  • Edge of Wonder: Notes from the Wildness of Being
  • The Chew: Food. Life. Fun.
  • Odd Interlude (Odd Thomas, #4.5)
  • Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  • The Little Book of Big Feelings: An Illustrated Exploration of Life's Many Emotions
  • Uppity Women of Ancient Times
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
  • Les Nymphéas noirs
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Hold On, But Don't Hold Still
  • The Honest Enneagram: Know Your Type, Own Your Challenges, Embrace Your Growth
  • Milk Bar Life: Recipes & Stories