Start by marking “This is Not My Hat” as Want to Read:
This is Not My Hat

This is Not My Hat (Hat Trilogy #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  15,988 Ratings  ·  2,553 Reviews
When a tiny fish shoots into view wearing a round blue topper (which happens to fit him perfectly), trouble could be following close behind. So it's a good thing that enormous fish won't wake up. And even if he does, it's not like he'll ever know what happened...
Visual humor swims to the fore as the best-selling Jon Klassen follows his breakout debut with another deadpan-f
Published October 9th 2012 by Candlewick (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This is Not My Hat, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jonny Paul Since the story is entirely told in the voice of the little fish I give him a distinctive accent. In my case when reading to a class I use a heavy New…moreSince the story is entirely told in the voice of the little fish I give him a distinctive accent. In my case when reading to a class I use a heavy New Zealand (Nu zilland) accent. (less)

Jen V
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 + a million stars!

I vividly remember standing at the Candlewick Press booth back in April and finally holding this long-awaited story from Jon Klassen. After the countless discussions and debates I have participated in over I Want My Hat Back, I was beyond ecstatic to be holding This Is Not My Hat. I ran my hand over the cover and took a breath before I actually opened the book. I felt like a five-year-old on her birthday all over again: that moment when you have waited and waited and mingled
Lisa Vegan
I guess something is wrong with me because this book has very high ratings on Goodreads and I did really like I Want My Hat Back, but this one left me cold. I did give an extra star because I love the expressiveness shown in the eye of the fishes and the everything about the illustrations is great.

But who would I recommend this for? For a “scared straight” morality tale about the wrongness of stealing? I don’t feel like traumatizing children. I’d like to hear about how young children take this b
·Karen·
Hilarious!

A tale of self-deception that ends badly. We think that the big fish must have eaten the little one, as it is never seen again. Sniff.
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
AMAZING. This was one of the most subtly sinister picture books I've ever read, and I loved every second of it. I think I might have a soft spot for kids books involving fish, because I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean! is probably my favorite picture book ever, and this one is a new fave as well. There's just something about that shady crab that really gets me
Lance Greenfield
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific little book!

This would touch many of the emotions of every reader, young and old.

The little fish has clearly stolen somebody else's hat. The clue is in the title.

That is very naughty indeed!

But the rightful owner will never find out.

The story is so simple, and the big bonus is that, in the end, there is an easy to understand moral to this fish's tail tale!
Amara Tanith
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amara by: Goodreads Choice Awards 2012 Nominee
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
In short, This is Not My Hat was a disappointing follow-up to I Want My Hat Back. For my full review, see here.
Pantelis
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simenon for preschoolers...
Dan
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a mind-blowing thrill ride. In this day and age, when bookshelves are packed with vampire romance for teens, or zombie books for teens, or zombies vs. vampires vs. werewolves for teens, it's good to see that at least one author has the courage to write for the underserved "hard-boiled crime thrillers for toddlers" genre.

That author is Jon Klassen.

The story opens just after a horrible crime has been committed -- a fish has stolen a hat from another fish. What unfolds is a tense cat-a
Cheryl
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok, me and my records are confused. I'm sure I read this already, but I can't find my review. And I still haven't read the first - which seems to me (from reviews and previews) to be basically the same as this, only with a very odd looking bear. Clever nonsense, ambiguous ending, aimed more at worldly-wise than innocent... I feel a bit guilty for giggling and for rating so highly.

My son says that it doesn't matter the fate of the little fish. He says there's no reason to give this to a little k
Quang Khuê
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Đọc cuốn này ở tiệm Kafka 54/2 Nguyên Cư Trinh, Q1. Hài tỉnh không chịu nổi =))

Nghĩ lại bữa 1/6 đi xem một phim hài làm cho trẻ con, thiệt là dở và nhảm không chịu nổi. Nghĩ một chút thì đấy cũng là một cách xem thường trẻ con.

Quyển này không xem thường trẻ con. Hãy đến và đọc ở tiệm Kafka, vì sách mắc lắm, chắc còn lâu mới có người mua :))
Paige
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book!
The Library Lady
Nov 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Okay, maybe they should take away my MLS, or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. Maybe they should figure that after 25+ years in this business I've apparently not learned what I'm supposed to know to do this job.

Or perhaps they should just conclude that I'm hopelessly outdated, a relic of the days of librarians with cardigans and buns and glasses on a chain.
(And I will admit to wearing cardigans.And the bun--when I can manage one for ballet class. No glasses on a chain though--I we
Kathryn
Okay. I chuckled. I did. I didn't want to. But I did. This is a darkly humorous little tale and I'm not sure it's one I would want to share with little ones (especially very sensitive or easily frightened ones) I guess the ending is open to interpretation as to what kind of justice is served. I can see why this won the Caldecott. The illustrations pair so well with the sparse text and the little fish has such personality--as does the big fish. I'm not sure I can say I "liked" it but I could appr ...more
Manybooks
Please note that even though I do indeed both realise and understand that Jon Klassen's This is Not My Hat won the 2013 Caldecott Medal, I personally have really not enjoyed either the text or the accompanying illustrations (and I am actually not even managing to be able to appreciate them all that much on some academic, esoteric level).

Now while some (and perhaps even a great many) readers might well and even strongly disagree with this, with my very much and intensely negative reaction to and
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott-medal
Humorous. Made me chuckle as the text and illustrations moved along. It is about a little fish who steals a hat from a big fish. He knows that it is wrong to have stolen the hat but he doesn't care. The little fish thinks he can get away with the crime and that he will never be discovered in his little secret. The humorous visuals were perfectly placed. This is my favorite of Jon Klassen's hat books.
Isa Lavinia
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This book's lesson is that crabs are snitches and everyone already knew that from watching that traitor ass crustacean snitch Sebastian from The Little Mermaid, so...
Steve Holden
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jon Klassen is extremely clever and I've been so impressed with this series. It's so simple, but yet delivered in a thought-provoking manner with subtle humor and many themes. The layout and illustrations are beautiful to look through. I find this series is fascinating to kids as they love having their hands on these books, but it also delivers a discussion piece for adults - that's no easy task in the world of picture books!
Dolly
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We read I Want My Hat Back earlier this year and I had to read it a second time before I truly could appreciate the humor and wit of the story.

So, when we saw this book, we were ready for it. We loved the expressions on the fish and we anticipated the ending. The narrative is humorous and wry, and I love that it shows (again) that taking something from someone has consequences.

Overall, we've really enjoyed reading Jon Klassen's books and we look forward to finding more of them at our local lib
Agnė
4.5 out of 5

In the succinct, matter-of-fact text and contradicting minimalist illustrations, Jon Klassen tells a darkly humorous tale that puts a lot of trust in the readers and their attention to details. Shifty eyes, subtle movements, and air bubble trails in This is Not My Hat are often worth a thousand words:

And the ending told entirely through three wordless doublespreads is unexpectedly shocking yet pitch-perfect. Or perhaps not that unexpected (though still shocking) if one is familiar wi
Melissa Carroll
Everytime I read this I love it even more!
Mischenko
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We just discovered Jon Klassen in 2016 when we read "We Found a Hat." It wasn't until today that we realized it's a trilogy and we read it out of order.

We love Jon Klassen's illustrations and stories. They're so unique and simple. Children love his books.

5*****
Mike
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
The second of three thoughtful picture-books from the quill and graphite of Mr. Klassen. On the advice of the librarian-friends who saw me check out the soi disant "Hat Trilogy", I read them from last to first. This, they claimed, was the funniest order to read these. Probably correct, although the subtle twist at the end would be aided by knowing the twist at the end of the first of the "Hat" stories, I Want My Hat Back

So, about the tale: definitely another morally ambiguous lesson from the ant
j
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nina, 2014
So, of course stealing is wrong and all (and Nina agrees: HAT MISSING UH OH STOLE IT!), but I find this book's chilling message of vengeance rather... troubling. The larger fish, the victim of a crime, chases the smaller fish into the weeds. What horrors occur there, we cannot see (it is where "the plants grow big and tall and close together"). All we know is that when the big fish emerges, he is wearing the hat... and the little fish is nowhere to be found.

Did the big fish eat him? Did he rip
Mandy Laferriere
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I laughed for a solid minute the first time I got to the end of this book after buying it for my library. It's now a staple in my house. We read it almost every day--it's one of my son's very favorites. He loves that sneaky little crab the best!
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite picture books. Unique and fun.
Joanne Zienty
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Another morally ambiguous "hat" tale. I did not like this one as much as the first I Want My Hat Back, but I appreciate the subversive humor and the "dark" ending. Who doesn't appreciate a little comeuppance -- unless you are one of those people who really think the little fish survived with maybe only a scolding.
Daisy Toomey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Danielle Mootz
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
We laughed so hard at this book. Then we brainstormed what we thought happened in the end.
Ronyell
Banner

“This hat is not mine. I just stole it.”

Reading that first sentence of the book, you just know what kind of bizarre and intense adventure you will get into when you read this book! After I finished reading “I Want My Hat Back” by Jon Klassen, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Jon Klassen wrote another book that had a similar theme to “I Want My Hat Back!” “This is Not My Hat” is a Caldecott Medal award winning book by Jon Klassen that also details the consequences of stealing and it is
Sadia Mansoor
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This book is cute. This book is funny. This book is better than its previous one ( I Want My Hat Back )

Things we learn from this book:
1. Stealing is a crime. Don't think you will get away with it.
2. Don't trust anyone, be it a crab :P
3. Never underestimate anyone, nor their power, whether the fish is big or small.
4. Lastly, the right owner will get their things back soon. Never think you have a right to take something away from anyone without their permission. Any reason given for stealing wi
Book review 1 12 Sep 09, 2015 02:24PM
  • hello! hello!
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
Jon Klassen received the 2010 Canadian Governor General’s Award for his illustrations in Caroline Stutson’s CAT'S NIGHT OUT. He also created illustrations for the popular series THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE and served as an illustrator on the animated feature film Coraline. I WANT MY HAT BACK is the first book he has both written and illustrated. Originally from Niagara Falls, Canada, ...more
More about Jon Klassen...

Hat Trilogy (3 books)