Start by marking “The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen

The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  360 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
“Tuscan food tastes like itself. Ingredients are left to shine. . . . So, if on your visit, I hand you an apron, your work will be easy. We’ll start with primo ingredients, a little flurry of activity, perhaps a glass of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and soon we’ll be carrying platters out the door. We’ll have as much fun setting the table as we have in the kitchen. Four d ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Tuscan Sun Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tuscan Sun Cookbook

Raidene
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Delicious recipes sit side by side with beautiful photographs and evocative prose. Exactly what one would expect from the poet and author Mayes.
Virginia Campbell
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advice
One of my favorite "mindcations" is "Under the Tuscan Sun". In my version, everything has the beautiful glow of Renaissance reds and golds. Even I am beautiful and glowing. Rustic, yet regal, my villa is filled with light, laughter, gorgeous food and great wine, good times and good people. Acclaimed writer Frances Mayes set the wheels of my mind in motion when I saw the film version of her book, "Under the Tuscan Sun", and then I added to my enjoyment of the film by reading her books and followi ...more
Sharon
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fabulous cookbook. Great photos and wonderful recipes with so many tips and cross references. But the delight of the stories of life in Bramasole and the new house, neighbors and village life, mix with the joy of life and great ingredients of the seasons making for some truly memorable and easy cooking. So far only made a few dishes, from the earlier books and articles and a couple from this book but they are all repeats and excellent. Recommend all her books for the shear joy of livi ...more
K.M.
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, cookbooks, italy
This is a gorgeous book. Even if all you do is page through it to look at the pictures, it's worth reading. Check it out of the library if you want to try it before you buy it. There's a nice section on making pasta. There is just enough writing to be complementary but not so much as to be a distraction from the recipes and the pictures. The recipes are organized by course. You don't have to be a reader of all of Frances Mayes books to appreciate this one.
Catherine
Fun to read, contains several Mediterranean recipes I’d like to try. Worth looking at just for the gorgeous table settings. Definitely a lifestyle cookbook, as evidenced by the suggestion that three types of pecorino should be included in your pantry staples. The recipe instructions are beautifully concise – I don’t think a single recipe took up more than one page, and often there were two per page.
Charlotte
If you've NEVER read a cookbook along these lines, EVER, then this will be great for you. However, I have two dozen exactly like it, so I would have preferred more recipes, less dull storytelling. I did very much appreciate the warnings about expired olive oil, however, but she should have gone even further...since most people don't know that most of it is not even olive oil anyway. I think I got one recipe from this entire book.
Teri
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful cookbook that turns simple ingredients into spectacular, colorful dishes. Gorgeous, inviting photographs and funny, heartwarming anecdotes are intertwined with 150+ Italian recipes, none of which take up more than a single page. Love it! Try the Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes & Chickpeas -- YUM.
Brianna Elsass
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Thought about not including it here but since it actually had some light stories included and I actually sat down to read it cover to cover before I attempted anything in the book, I figured I could. Pretty good, the food reminds me of my travels to Italy... I have found something else for the Christmas list this year!
Barbara VA
Is it possible to give a book more than 5 stars? I loved this for the writing,the photos, the stories and then the food! My shopping list this morning is incredibly long and as hot as it is, over 95*, I am craving the hearty soups of roasts and chestnuts of winter as I am the lemony seasoned veggies and gelatos! I am hungry!!!
Lori Berezovsky
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has become one of my favorite cookbooks, partly because very recipe I've tried has been delicious, but also because it is filled with beautiful photography that takes me back to the one trip to Italy I've made (so far). It's perfect!
Cindyjaxn
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a glorius cookbook. Not only do the recipes seeem enticing but it is jammed packed with gorgeous pictures and beautiful writing. This goes beyond the typical regional cookbook by giving us insight into the people who actually cook and eat the recipes in the book.
Bravo!
April
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
A sensory experience. Not necessarily a book I'll use to cook, but certainly a very pleasurable armchair trip to Italy, complete with food! I had thoroughly enjoyed her other books, so I already had the reference, and enjoyed revisiting her experience.
Kimberly
Lovely book with great recipes and beautiful photos. Makes you want to pack your bags and go to Italy. The recipes are supposedly pretty simple for the authors, but not your average ingredients or skill level for someone with next to no culinary skills (like me).
Mary
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart's in Tuscany!
Angie Niles
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge huge fan of Frances Mayes' book Under the Tuscan Sun and so want to be Diane Lane in the movie. Reading even more about her life in Tuscany and the amazing recipes was so fantastic.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Beautifully photographed and written, with over 150 simple but delicious recipes.
See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Amber
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily a five-star book. The recipes are realistic and relevant. I enjoyed the side notes about Tuscan dining culture and the appreciation for good conversation at the table.
Michael
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Great Read!
Judy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. Everything sound so doable.
Emily
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A beautiful look at Tuscan cuisine--mouthwatering recipes and such a gorgeous book! If you like Italian cooking, it's a must read.
Donna
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The recipes and photos make you really want to go there and experience Tuscany!
 Therese
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you liked the novel from Frances Mayes, wait till you read the cookbook. Delightful and mouth-watering!
Caroline Mathews
The passages were good but were quotes from the other books. I made a lovely dinnner with several of the recipes and rued the lack of garlic and many other herbs.
Barbara
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would buy this book!!! Wonderful recipes. If see used let me know
Nan
Mar 17, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read, giveaways
Still haven't received this book, although it was the 1st giveaway book I won. My friends and I are anxious to get into some serious Tuscan cooking when it arrives. Thank you again!
Prestoni
Haven't tried manre pies, but have thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have. Beautiful book to look at as we'll, especially if you have read her book, under the Tuscan sun, as well.
Charles
I can not rate this book yet, but I know it will be good. I plan to pre-order it, You should too. Let me know when you can come to dinner.
Brooke
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
So fun! I've already made 7 or so recipes and they have all been so wonderful! By the way, I had no idea homemade ravioli was so simple!!!
Brittany
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've made a few things from this book and they've all been delicious!
Barb
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing food - may have to buy this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • Cooking with Italian Grandmothers: Recipes and Stories from Tuscany to Sicily
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • Soup of the Day (Williams-Sonoma): 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year
  • Spain...A Culinary Road Trip
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • The Italian Baker
  • VOLT ink.: Recipes, Stories, Brothers
  • Jacques Pépin Heart  Soul in the Kitchen
  • Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe
  • Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks
  • The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites
  • My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking
Frances Mayes's new novel is Women in Sunlight , published by Crown. With her husband, Edward Mayes she recently published The Tuscan Sun Cookbook. Every Day in Tuscany is the third volume in her bestselling Tuscany memoir series.

In addition to her Tuscany memoirs, Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany , Frances Mayes is the author of the memoirs Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir; A Ye
More about Frances Mayes...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99