Start by marking “The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)

The Art of Wishing

(The Art of Wishing #1)

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan for just about everything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Olive
Published March 21st 2013 by Dial Books For Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Wishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Wishing

Lindsay Ribar
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Someone blackmailed me into five-starring my own book. It wasn't my idea! I swear it wasn't! I would never do something so uncouth of my own free will! *

*This entire paragraph is a lie.

ETA 5/6/14: In honor of the forthcoming release of the paperback edition (or, more accurately, because I felt like it), I'm doing something that I've seen a handful of other authors do here. I mean, why not, right? Here goes....

THE ART OF WISHING: A PLAYLIST

1. When I’m Up (Great Big Sea)
2. Stinging Velvet (Neko
Suzanne
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, hermes
Sigh. I really wanted to like this. It was enjoyable until about two-thirds of the way, and then a plot twist with the antagonist made everything we'd been pacing ourselves and hoping for ruined. I don't need a book to be predictable but don't make me care about plot points that soon become irrelevant.

Even worse was the ending, so abrupt and vague. Um, what about her parents? What about everyone else in her world? Seriously, this is the end, with no explanation of what comes next, and we're supp
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

As often happens, I really didn't have any expectations going into this book. Based on the cover, it looks like a sweet contemporary with a little magic and music. That seems awesome enough to give the book a chance, so when Steph offered to loan me her ARC, I went for it. Ladies and gentlemen, I made a very good choice. The Art of Wishing gave me so much joy.

At the beginning, we meet Margo as she auditions for the school musical, Sweeney Todd, which is freaking awesome by the way. She
Dana
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing

“...Oh God. I'm one of those girls."
"What girls?" he asked, perplexed.
"Those girls. The ones in all those books and TV shows. Some dumb high school girl falls in love with some supernatural guy, and he's all, 'Behold, I am five million years old!' and she's all, 'Oh my god, how can you ever love pathetic little me!' and he's like, 'Because of destiny!' or whatever. It's just so...ew. You know?” - The Art of Wishing

When I opened this book i was a little hesitant about the font size. Yes I know th
Purcheria
2.5 - 3 stars

Let me start off by saying that this was an Uncorrected Proof ARC provided by Netgalley. And as such I don't know if there will be any changes.

Okay, on to the review. Honestly speaking, this book was okay. The premise was a good one but story failed to grab me. And truth be told I was bored at times. Don't get me wrong, the book wasn't bad per se, it's just that there were certain aspects of the story that felt a bit forced. Like the romance. For me, it did not seem believable. I do
Ginny
What is my Favorite Book of 2013 so far? Oh just this one! And you can find the full on review here

Why did The Art of Wishing grab my attention so quickly? One word: GENIE. Seriously, I cannot think of a YA book in which a genie is the lead. (If there is another, please share it with me!) And it doesn't hurt that the genie is a boy! Needless to say, I was quite excited to begin this book.

And I started reading...

And kept reading....

And suddenly I realized I needed some sleep. So I slept for 3 ho
Casey
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-reads, reviewed
I feel fortunate that I was able to read this book so early, and so I'll give a really brief review noting some of my favorite abstract-ish things about it, so that you too can be really excited to pick it up when it comes out.

First, particularly in YA and urban fantasy in which we see so many vampires and werewolves and fairies (not that I don't LIKE these things, but we have seen a lot of them), I am really appreciative of more original or rare mythologies. Having a genie as the "monster boyfr
Danielle
Oh my stars, this book! It came across my desk at the library and I went "Huh, genies? That's different."

I figured I'd give it a shot. I could not put it down.

And now I have to wait till 2014 for book two? Ugh. I really need to learn patience or invent a time machine.

Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To see full duo-logy review click here.

This book is what I want from a YA book. It’s cute, fluffy, and actually has substance. And did I mention it features genies…and I’m in desperate need of a good YA genie book but never seem to get my wish.

Until this book.

In the words of Katy Schwartz, sweet baby Jesus.

This book is cute. Made of kittens, sunshine, and all things perfect.

Let’s start with the main character.

I actually liked Margo. Yes, she had some bonehead teenage moments, but I didn’t want t
Pixie
The Art of Wishing could very well be one of my favorites so far this year. And possibly, one of the most memorable books I’ve read in some time.

To say that it was flawless would be a lie, because it did have its minor flaws--like a bit of an insta-love romance which on this rare occasion I found myself glossing over, and just genuinely enjoying this entertaining and refreshing story beyond that. The characters set this one a part from many of the reads I’ve picked up the last few months…its qu
Carmen
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy

*look of absolute joy and horror

WAIT SO WHAT.

*****************

OH. MY. GOD. THE. COVER. I LOVE IT. EEEEEKKK, now that just makes me want this book more than EVER. (Come faster 2013.)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IWANTTHISBOOK. I. WANT. IT. NOW.

It reminds me of As You Wish by Jackson Pearce with a dark twist- I WANT IT NOW.

*sniffs*
Tim Federle
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Genies. Hot boys. "Sweeney Todd" references.

ANY QUESTIONS??
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

As soon as I read chapter one, I knew The Art of Wishing was going to be different from what I expected. It did have some things I hoped to find: cute, romantic moments with a bit of drama and angst throughout. But what was different was that even though the characters were in high school, I had to keep reminding myself that they were in fact NOT in middle school. There were moments that would never be found in a middle-grade read, but it still
Colette
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book. However, there were moments where the characters and their actions didn't feel as authentic or relatable as I would have liked. That said, the unique plot and cliffhanger ending enticed me enough to read the sequel.
Audrey Wilkerson
Rating: 3

The Low Down: Margo McKenna is super pumped. The tryouts for the school musical are today, and she knows that she’s going to kill it. After her audition, everyone is so happy with her performance. She knows she will get to play the part of Mrs. Lovett, the female lead in Sweeney Todd. When the results are posted, however, she’s in for a shock: some sophomore that she’s never heard of gets Mrs. Lovett, and she is stuck in the part of Tobias Rigg, a character who only has two songs and is
Andrea
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The Art of Wishing will have you believing in magic, and cheering for love.

Aw, this was such a charming story! I don't remember reading a book with a genie before, but I'm so happy this is my first. The story really managed to capture my attention right away. It doesn't hurt that the cover is beyond gorgeous, and the whimsy truly fits the story. The story flowed at such a nice, brisk pace that I found myself flying through the pages. There were so many questions: What would Margo wish for? Woul
Alexa
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book had me at "genies." Seriously -- genies! There's a glut of vampires, werewolves, etc. in the realm of "monster boyfriend" in paranormal romance, but genies isn't something I've seen before. I liked that not only was it an original hook, but as a reader I could latch onto the WHAT WILL SHE WISH FOR/WHAT WOULD I WISH FOR? 'wish fulfillment' aspect.

The Art of Wishing was a quick, engaging read -- I had "can't-put-it-down-itis" and finished it in less than two days (with pesky breaks for
J.W.
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who are sick of Twilight-esque "Twu Wuv" stories
I got a chance to read The Art of Wishing ahead of time, in the form of a galley. You had my attention at 'genie', but I ended up loving this book because it inverts everything I've come to expect from YA paranormal romance.

In the vaguest terms possible, to avoid spoilers:

Margo isn't defined by her relationship with Oliver-- or her relationship with any guy, for that matter. She's got her own life, her own interests, her own problems, all of which are so much at the forefront of her mind that th
Imani
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5
It was okay, but I wasn't too impressed with it. I like how the author was original with using genies instead of the waaaay too common vampire or werewolf fantasy that's always overdone.

I don't really feel like talking about plot tbh. It was basic. I felt there was no depth or substance to the characters. In the beginning I thought there might be, but that fell flat during the second half of the book. :/ Not much to go on here, but it wasn't awful. *shrugs*
Claire Legrand
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I *loved* this book! Hilarious, heartfelt, full of characters you can't help but love, featuring a charming romance that feels completely real, a unique magic system unlike anything I've ever read, and capped off with dashes of Sweeney Todd for the theater-lovers among us, THE ART OF WISHING is a clever read that had me turning pages so fast my eyes started melting. AND IT WAS AWESOME.
Juliana
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of fantasy. I have to really be in the mood because it can be so heavy sometimes. This book was PERFECT for those who are easing into fantasy. It's set in the real world, all with the exception that magic and genies exist. Nobody knows they exist unless they happen upon the vessel of the genie. The book is light with a bit of romance in it and the fantasy elements are fun. You're granted three wishes and your genie can read your mind so they shape the wish to your specificatio ...more
Jesten
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute and extremely creative, though it did have some major instalove.
Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de
Inhalt:
Aus nicht nachvollziehbaren Gründen hat Margo die Rolle, für die sie im Schulmusical vorgesungen hat, nicht bekommen. Das wird spätestens nach den ersten Proben klar.
Doch warum hat ausgerechnet Vicky die Rolle bekommen? Und warum sind so viele - inklusive Margos bester Freundin - regelrecht begeistert von ihr?

Als Margo einen Ring findet und plötzlich Oliver wie aus dem Nichts auftaucht, bekommt sie die Erklärung... Und nun hat Margo drei Wünsche frei, die der Dschinn ihr erfüllen wird. St
kari
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, ya
I picked this up and didn't look it up on GR before reading. I had intended to give this book a five, solid five . . . until I read the afterword in which the author says special thanks to someone for "that one Inccredibly Frustrating Comment, which instantly turned this story from a stand-alone into a trilogy."
So, I am left disappointed.
I liked this book from the start. Tight writing, fast-moving plot, lots of action, super-natural rules make sense. All in all a fun read.
Except it should have
Shana
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read an advance copy of The Art of Wishing and I can confirm, it's absolutely delightful and witty with charming characters. Lindsay smoothly brings a fantastical creature, a genie, into our modern culture, without denying the history (Disney and otherwise) that came before.

Margo is the kind of character we all want to know in real life. So often characters in paranormal fantasy are put on a pedestal of perfection. They are selfless and always do what's right. Margo's
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Did I even tell you guys how awesome this book truly is? No? My bad. This is a perfectly molded pot of colorful cookies you are not likely to find at the end of a rainbow. Makes me want to grow a fu manchu or handlebar mustache so I can twirl it. I don't know what else to say. It's different, it's unexpected it's fun and I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE the ending plus what comes before.

I feel the urge to stuff my face, and yours, in it, just for the giggles and happy-feels it gave me.

I know, real helpful.
Meg
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am the worst GR flake ever. I read this awhile back and it is so, so cute. Margot is sassy and awesome, Oliver is adorable and almost unbearably sweet. Bonus points for fabulous banter. The Art of Wishing lures you in with laughter and then kicks you right in the feels.
J.J. Howard
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such an enjoyable read! This book is also my book's twin because of Neko Case and waffles. In all seriousness, I loved these characters, and I did not expect that ending (in a good way). The acknowledgements said something about a sequel: I'm in.
Win a free copy of The Art of Wishing, and more! 1 14 Jun 26, 2013 05:02PM
  • Uses for Boys
  • Tides
  • Leap of Faith
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Since You Asked
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • That Time I Joined the Circus
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
Lindsay Ribar lives in New York City, where she works in book publishing by day and writes YA novels by night. She attends far too many concerts, watches far too much nerdy TV, and consumes fanfiction like it's made out of chocolate. She is fond of wine, cheese, and countries where they speak English but with really cool accents. Oh, and she has a Harry Potter tattoo.

The Art of Wishing (2 books)
  • The Fourth Wish (The Art of Wishing, #2)
“...Oh god. I'm one of those girls."
"What girls?" he asked, perplexed.
33 likes
“Nobody ever feels just one way about another person, Margo. We're so much more complicated than that. I can see a million things you want from me, just like the million things I want from you. Some of them are wonderful. Some are awful. Some contradict each other, and some don't make sense at all. But none of those things matter, not really. What matters is what you do about them.” 16 likes