Start by marking “100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design” as Want to Read:
100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design

100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design

New in the "100 Ideas That Changed..." series, this book demonstrates how ideas influenced and defined graphic design, and how those ideas have manifested themselves in objects of design. The 100 entries, arranged broadly in chronological order, range from technical (overprinting, rub-on designs, split fountain); to stylistic (swashes on caps, loud typography, and white space); to object"100 ...more
Published April 18th 2012 by Laurence King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design

Start your review of 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
Katelyn Jenkins
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, design, art
A book about ideas that focuses on social revolution. It gives a substantial analysis of the important art history context, such as art nouveau, art deco, post modern, and abstraction. The book itself is its own graphically though out artform!! Beautiful examples.
Also noted, it gives the designer who reads the text a background on why the world is designed it is today. Why our brands are bigger than the product and how a fist can signal unrest.
cọng rơm
ò cũng vui
ò cũng mệt
mệt nhiều hơn vui
mà vui nên thôi bỏ qua mệt
Graham Herrli
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: design-related
I didn't expect to learn much from this book. I'd hoped it would give me some useful ideas for different graphic approaches to current projects.

It didn't.

I'd thought it might give me a greater knowledge of the history of graphic design so that I would better know what emotions various pastiches evoke.

It didn't.

This book provides a perfunctory gloss of each of its 100 ideas listing specific projects that specific individuals have made following that idea, but
Veronika Kudinova
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The authors have demonstrated an outstanding knowledge not only of art, but also social and political events throughout design history. They provide works of the very pioneers as well as the up-to-date artists to illustrate they point. It is aimed rather at graphic design students than the wide publicity and it is very apparent due to the language used:
"Taking Dada a step further, punk was so contemptuous of conventional beauty that it proffered a kind of 'haute-ugly'."
Nathan
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
The selection of the ideas is convincing and inspiring.
They could definitely be the idea source pond in any type of design.
Branwen Lloyd
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting, brief overview.
Carol
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as insightful as I'd hoped but it's a good book to pick up and peruse for ideas when you're feeling stuck.
Cherry Lala
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The layout of the text and imagery in this book is cohesive making it easier to read and gain more from it. Informative with a wide variety of ideas from history that influenced graphic design.

Overall, an interesting and educational sight into graphic design history.
Maria Gebhardt
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not only is this book a great conversational piece, but it truly is an inspirational source for any designer.

The bold red and black cover attracts attention and the book has a large format filled with examples of these ideas in full color. The large size is great to flip through the pages and get lost in the fascinating world of text, images, and messages.

The ideas range from the iconic to designs used every day. Below are a few examples of the ideas this book explores:

- Idea 6 – P
Laura Fudge
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
100 big ideas in graphic design, for example, paper cutouts, corporate identity and white space. Each idea has a double page spread, with imagery to illustrate the idea, and a page of text.

A great reference book, easy to pick up and browse, or to read through from cover to cover. The ideas are in chronological order roughly, and you can see trends and ideas through the years. The text describes the idea, where and when it originated, and some examples of it in use, with big full colo
Dennis Boccippio
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Very good book, not entirely what I was expecting, but in a good way. The commentary and examples are very much provided through a professional designer's eye ... bordering on erudite but ultimately still accessible to non-professionals. The selection of "ideas" is very eclectic and tends to clump in a couple of preferred 20th century movements, but I was happy to surrender to the author's selections and be guided through the journey. The graphic examples were both beautiful and thought-provokin ...more
Char
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very handy, clearly laid out reference book, that is also light enough to read through cover to cover. It would be an excellent place to start research for a project, as it also discusses main practitioners/examples of the ideas it's discussing. It isn't very detailed though, so it would only be a starting place.

The main problem I have with this book is that often it would talk about a piece of design or art work and then not picture it, even though sometimes other pieces,
Patricia
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
nem olvastam el minden fejezetet (amik egyébként 1 oldalasak), mert túl kevés az infó, és a könyv szerkesztése is elég kaotikus. szóval ilyen nagyon alap infókat gyűjt össze (annyira, hogy a képanyag 90%-át is ismertem már), kicsit olyan, mint a kötelezők röviden. graphic design röviden, ha közöd nincs a témához, de szereted nézegetni a plakátokat és érdekel a művtöri.
csak azért kap 3 csillagot, mert szép a layout-ja.
Andra N
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice introduction into what the authors consider to be the most influential events in graphic design, whether it is a new technology (rub-on-design), a motif (ornamentation) or a social-related change(entrepreneurship). It is a easy read with relevant illustrations for each idea presented. It does not follow a chronological order and I feel it could have been better structured in order to let the reader retain the information within.
Rachel Knickmeyer
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fascinating read. I'd regrettably never done much digging into the history of graphic design, and this book introduces that topic in a really engaging format. I pretty much devoured it in a couple days. It's also a beautifully designed book in and of itself, very inspirational and I'm sure I'll be going back to it again and again.
Kerfe
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't enamored with all 100 of the concepts the authors highlight here, but there's plenty to satisfy anyone interested in the graphic representation of ideas. Some of the explanations also appealed to me more than others, but the visuals are always a delight.
James Obando
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An easy read, I loved the insightful summaries with classic examples, wish I could post pics, but guess you'll have to pick this one up to see. All the great designers are found here, with all the many uses of graphic design.
Douglas Fenstermacher
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book for inspiration on graphic design. Not the best to read from front-to-back though.
Linda Maj
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A single essay/article about each idea that changed graphic design - from rub-on lettering to white space. Awesome starting point of each topic for students and instructors alike.
Cyrus
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Perfect overview.
Karl
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting reference book, sometimes the example images don't perfectly embody the concept..but like... tons of inspiration and loads of good history.
Hiatt Zhao
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like all books I read about art and design, I rarely read them. Instead I browse. This book is a good book to use as a reference. I took down some notes.
Gözde Çağan
Feb 11, 2018
Terrence Christian
Dec 26, 2017

• Thinking with Type
  • Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • 100 Ideas that Changed Art
  • Design Is a Job
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • Newspaper Blackout
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
Steven Heller writes a monthly column on graphic design books for The New York Times Book Review and is co-chair of MFA Design at the School of Visual Arts. He has written more than 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, including Paul Rand, Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design Second Ed ...more