Start by marking “The Artist's Eye: (Learning to See) (art lessons in perspective, texture, process, and more)” as Want to Read:

This series of small primers on drawing encourages readers not only to pick up a pen and start drawing, but to see the world that surrounds them with fresh eyes. Visual thinking and using one's imagination are skills that are often neglected in today's world. With author Peter Jenny's help, readers will learn to perceive their environment in a new way and will soon follow ...more
Published April 4th 2012 by Princeton Architectural Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Eye

Esther
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice book for getting ideas, but nothing mind blowing.
Deb Jacobs
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Essentially this is an ideas book, encouraging the artist to find inspiration in unusual places, such as cloud formations, puddles or randomly dropped drawing pins. What lets it down is that the text (what little there is) is dry and academic with no enthusiasm apparent. I picked the book up in the children's section of the National Gallery shop on Trafalgar Square, but I couldn't imagine children (or me) gaining much from it.

My other complaint is that the pictures and captions don't seem to ma
Wei Cho
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
this book is helpful for those seeking to learn to see but I felt that it was just a compilation of common knowledge. I'm sure many people can see images in clouds, on tree leaves, and etc. without having this book as a guide. I think this book is more to train the imagination rather than an artist book, like the title claims. I felt like this book was like whatever, that I've heard it all before and that I didn't learn anything new.
Eris
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
Charming book about how to see like an artist--very approachable. Has simple, but creative projects. Well illustrated. It's a tiny book that will fit in a pocket.
James