Start by marking “Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week” as Want to Read:
Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week

Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week

(Marvel Cinematic Universe)

The newest installment of the official Marvel Cinematic Universe tie-in comics is here just in time for the Avengers movie! Just how will S.H.I.E.L.D. maintain the status quo in a world full of gamma-powered rage monsters, hammer wielding gods and men in iron suits? What exactly is the Avengers Initiative? If you thought you knew everything there was to know about Director ...more
Published May 16th 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week

Ivy
Not too bad. I liked being able to learn a little bit more about Shield. Can't wait for Avengers: Age of Ultron!
Ranting Dragon
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stephan

Fury’s Big Week is essentially the introduction to The Avengers. This 96 page comic, combining eight volumes and released in trade paperback on May 16, ties all the films in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe together. The common threads in this story are Nick Fury and his S.H.I.E.L.D. organization. From their viewpoint, we see the things that went on behind the scenes of The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and the ending of Captain America.

While the story of
Emma
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel, comics
James
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fury's Big Week details what was happening with Director Fury, Agent Coulson, Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton, mostly over the course of one week. There are events involving Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, and Captain America... and S.H.I.E.L.D. is involved every step of the way.

The positive aspects; 1. While the movie's post-credit scenes tie the movies together, the behind-the-scenes action presented here goes way beyond that, adding another dimension to the stories.
2. It was nice to see the inclu
Nikki
Fury's Big Week isn't a spectacular comic on its own, but it does provide some good little titbits about the other films and ties them all together very well. It's not an amazing story, but for someone who's really into the Marvel Cinematic Universe it's a fun tie-in, and it made me giggle quite a bit.

Most of the art is quite good -- Natasha and Fury are very recognisable -- but Clint and Coulson look a bit odd. Still, you get to see Clint in bed, Coulson reacting to Steve being found, Natasha k
Asmaa
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2014-reads, comics
The prelude to the blockbuster "The Avengers" and such nice little comic! I didn't know that the events of Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (aka: Avengers Assembled) happened within one week! it was funny to see not only actual scenes from the movies but also what happened behind said scenes from S.H.I.E.L.D. agents' point of view.
Matthew Kresal
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Weaving itself in-between events in Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor, Fury's Big Week is a fun read. Even with six more years of the MCU growing and Agents Of SHIELD expanding the backstory of the agency, it holds up incredibly well. The story it tells is also quite fun with chances to see Fury dealing with the Council while Coulson and Black Widow are in the field dealing with events from the three films. That they all take place in the same seven days seems to be more than a little bi ...more
Dawson Joyce
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week was a comic I read back in mid-January, where I was catching up most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe-related material I missed out on or had forgotten about before the release of Captain Marvel. This was a really fun read with absolutely gorgeous artwork and clever dialogue. The writing is so strong that you can easily paint a good picture in your head of actors like Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg saying these lines as their characters and going through ...more
Tamara Menninger
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trc2018
Perfect for Marvel fans of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." this entry in the "Prelude" editions to the Marvel movies is an action-packed recap of the films leading to the Avengers (Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, Hulk & Thor) as seen through the eyes of S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury, agents Phil Coulson, Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) & Clint Barton (Hawkeye). A plus in this collection is the only story "To Be Continued" is the actual Avengers movie (unlike newer volumes such ...more
Mary Heron
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Interesting to see all the events from the films before the first Avengers film and see them put into perspective through the eyes of the Shield operatives, mainly Natasha Romanov, Clint Barton and Agent Coulson not forgetting Nick Fury. It's a fun read.
C.J. Edmunds
I usually stay away from prequel stories leading into the cinematic versions but given that this copy was on sale, I figured why the heck not. Plus this is all about Fury and all the background scenario that happens from Iron Man 2 up to the beginning of the Avengers.

All this is told from Fury's point of view, from monitoring the progress of Tony Stark following his offer about the Avengers Initiative at the end of Iron Man to Stark's drunken fit from his condo in Iron Man 2 to the recruitment o
Danny
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This is called a prelude for a reason. Obviously, there's nothing here that you actually need to read if you are to understand the overall background stories in The Avengers. That's what the Marvel Cinematic Films are for.

However, it does keep you fairly entertained and adds a bit of a dimension in the reactions of S.H.I.E.L.D. to the events of The Incredible Hulk and Thor alike. What's unfortunate is that is fairly predictable. Maybe that's plain kudos to the insinuations present in The Avenge
J'aime
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I really enjoyed The Avengers, and the individual character films, so much that I wanted to spend more time in the Marvel universe. This doesn't add anything meaningful, but was a very good prelude that cleverly tied all the films together in a timeline leading up to Avengers. The action takes place from Fury/SHIELD's perspective, which was a good way to flesh out those characters. The artwork is also excellent.

My only minor disappointment is that Loki, my favorite char
oxana
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Marvel's the Avengers movies (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Avengers)
So short, but so amazing!

Four comics bringing together a rather stressful week for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Director Fury. The stories bind very subtly (or not so subtly) together the events of Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger (and also including a few of the short movies related to the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, mainly "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer").

There are some awesome little details, like how the injection of lithium dioxide may
Vesmé
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read all 8 individual issues, however there doesn't seem to be a release collecting all the issues, or a follow up to this one.

Enjoyed looking at the movies from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s point of view; loved having more Black Widow, Hawkeye, Coulson and Fury. Would have been nice to have seen some Maria Hill. Really enjoyed (view spoiler)
Victory
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A one-shot curiosity more than a story, this book shows how the events of IRON MAN 2, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, THOR, and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER intertwine.

It's pretty impressive how care has been taken to ensure the timelines match up. BONUS: Black Widow's mission is obliquely referenced in AGE OF ULTRON, which kinda/sorta makes this book part of the official Marvel Cinematic Universe canon.
Josh
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not a bad read if you are a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as it gives you some background on S.H.I.E.L.D. and fills in some blank between movies specifically Thor, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America: The First Avenger leading into the Avengers film, but not too much in terms of action and development of story.
Sean Kennedy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This isn't really a great 'stand alone' comic, but it is obviously meant to be read in conjunction with the Avengers movie - it does quite a good job at linking the stories in the ongoing film series and showing how the characters came to be involved with each other and how their story timelines intersected, sometimes without them even realising it.
Travis
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Fun story that tries to fill in the gaps about what Fury, Coulson and the Black Widow were up to before and during the marvel movies, as we lead up to Avengers.

Episodic and fun. Nothing earth shattering, but just a collection of little stories showing us what members of SHIELD were on the campus during the Hulk fight in the Edward Norton movie, how Coulson got to New Mexico etc.

B.
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
(Mine has a different cover, the poster for the Avengers movie, but the ISBN is the same, so...)

Enjoyable read that ties the movies together and sets up The Avengers. I didn't love every panel or every character's rendering, or every line, but mostly I was happy with it. Quick, fun read.
M Pereira
This is a nice casual read, it unifies all of the aspects of the marvel films together to create the run up to the avengers film. Through the perspective of nick fury, we can see the tensions and build up of what is the avengers movie
Adam
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This comic ties all of the films together that lead into the Avengers movie by showing what SHIELD were up to during each one. It is fairly predictable, but it's nice to see the events from a different angle to fit it all together.
Alex Sarll
Never read any comics set in Marvel's cinematic universe before - some fear of crossing the streams? The premise of this one looked interesting, but it was just an exercise in joining the dots, neither as fun as the films or a Marvel comic proper. Not an experiment I'll repeat.
Ryan Mishap
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
As far as money-grubbing graphic novel movie tie-ins go, this was pretty good. The storyline leads up to the start of the first Avengers movie with little extraneous plot or fluff and manages to be entertaining.

Probably not essential, I just wanted to read a comic and saw this at the library.
Margaret
This is a nice little adventure that ties together SHIELD's involvement in Iron Man 2, Captain America, and the Incredible Hulk movies in the lead up to the Avengers. I appreciate the shout-out to "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer."
Ed
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This seems to mostly exist to canonically rejigger the chronology of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so that The Incredible Hulk happens in parallel to Iron Man 2 and Thor. Despite the functional nature, it's actually pretty okay.
Sophie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was a bit iffy about this, but turns out it was awesome. It connects things wonderfully and has nice insight into what's going on with SHIELD during the pre-Avengers movies. Plus it has lots of Natasha being awesome.
Brandon
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great prelude comic. It tells the story of what S.H.I.E.L.D. was up to the week of Thor, Iron Man, and The Hulk. For a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this provides great continuity and adds layers to the stories told by the films.
Manuel
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
A fun read that ties in all the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1 movies up to right before the first Avengers movie.
Scott
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun little read to see what else was going on during the movies.

• Marvel's Iron Man 3 Prelude
  • Marvel's The Avengers - Road to The Avengers
  • Marvel's Thor - The Dark World Prelude
  • Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Black Widow Strikes
  • Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude
  • Doctor Strange by Donny Cates, Vol. 1: God of Magic
  • Black Widow: Homecoming
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, Vol. 1: Out of Time
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 5: The Big Picture
  • Doctor Strange: Season One

Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Marvel's Iron Man 2 - Public Identity
  • Marvel's Iron Man 2 - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Marvel's Iron Man - I Am Iron Man!
  • Marvel's Captain America - First Vengeance