Start by marking “The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America” as Want to Read:

Love them or hate them, there's no such thing as a football fan who doesn't have an opinion on the Dallas Cowboys. From Dandy Don Meredith, Roger Staubach and America's Team to the dynasty of the mid-nineties that won three Super Bowls and the glitzy soap opera team of today, the Cowboys have been delighting their fans and infuriating their rivals since 1960.

What sets the
Published October 9th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Dallas Cowboys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dallas Cowboys

Start your review of The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America
Sanchi
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this from a goodreads giveaway from firstreads a while back. It did take me some time to finish it as the book is very large:) I loved it The author did an excellent job at doing research for the book and transcribing it into an easy-to-follow format so it is easy to read for anyone. That was the best part of the book for me I love football and now I know so much about the cowboys its uncanny lol. I really thought the thought and work put into this book and the extreme detail earns it a 5 ...more
Marcia
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this book even though I am not a Dalls Cowboy fan, but I do love pro-football. This book is more than just a history of the wins & losses of the franchise. It deals primarily with the people who were the players, coaches, and owners of the Cowboys. Patoski describes the personalities of all of them. The author really has done his research and knows these people and their influence on the Cowboy teams. He also tells what happened to many of the players after their playing days were over ...more
Daniel
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the History of the Team itself but I wasn't as interested in Dallas. The book seemed to be a history of the Town as much as the team.

You really could cut out 1/3 of the book (parts on the city of Dallas) and it would be much more readable.

I received this book through a give a way from Good Reads.
Jason
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was long. Really long. Unless you're really interested in the Cowboys or the history of Dallas, this is not for you. I, however, am a native Dallasite and really enjoyed the history of both the football team and the city.
jim w stullenburger
If you are a fan , read this. If you are not a fan , read this.

The best football book I have read to date. Texas football , it's like no where else. Great insight to the world of old Dallas.
OngoingSole19
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a wealth of information about the Cowboys. I learned so much about the old timers of the past. However, I would only recommend this to Cowboy fans.
Ralphz
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So I thought I’d read about the Dallas Cowboys upon the occasion of their 60th anniversary, hoping to celebrate a good season to come.

The team at this moment is 1-3 and we’re heading for another mediocre year … again.

But it weren’t always this way, as this book shows.

This book follows the team from its creation until the glory years of the ’70s, the slide of the ’80s, the return to glory of the ’90s, and the fair-to-middlin’ years since. The book, published around the 50th anniversary, ends with
Lucretia
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Wow, I was so thrilled to win this because I grew up with a Cowboys fan and saw the total devotion this team inspires. It was such a joy to get to know the team in such a personal way. This was well researched and written in a way that easy and enjoyable to read. There is so much to be taken in here I can see reading this another time or two just to take in all of the great information. It really is a fascinating team filled with a great rich history. After reading this I feel like not only can ...more
Donald
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A thorough history of America's Team! I LOVE the Cowboys and was so happy to be reading this as the new season started and we whooped up on the Giants! This book starts from the way back, tracing the roots of football in Texas and brings us through it all, right up to the opening of the "Jerry Dome"! I became a fan in 1976, so that era and the stories related herein were my favorites, but I really enjoyed the whole thing! And the book is a big 'un, just like everything in Texas! But if you love ...more
Sherman
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this big book on the Cowboys because it went back to the early days of Dandy Don, Roger Staubach, and one of the greatest coaches of all times Tom Landry. Back when they WERE America's team. Don't think they are considered America's team today. Back then they were looked up to and Landy ran a tight ship. I always sat down on a Sunday afternoon and never missed a game the Cowboys were playing. Now I miss a lot of Cowboys games and watch some other team. All in all I still liked the book ...more
Katrina
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
Good Reads Win: I won this book and was so happy to learn of more of the history of the cowboys. As I grew up with them being the family team. It doesn't just deal with the win and losses but it also deals with the players and people. I would recommend this to any fan of profootball, also to anyone looking to do a report. It is a great and well written book.
Katie Bellows
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book through the goodreads contest and let me say it was great! Having grown up with two of the biggest sports fans I know, my parents instilled in me from a very young age how important sports are. This book was so informative and while I'm not a cowboys fan, I truly did enjoy it. I was able to learn so much and look forward to discussing this book with my parents.
Melinda
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
First I couldn't believe how big this book was, 700+ pages. My husband is the sports fan in the house but this was an interesting read. I think it would make the perfect gift for a loved one or friend who cheers on the Cowboys. Maybe for birthdays or Father's Day.
I received this book free from Goodreads.com.
Joe
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apparently Jerry Jones cares more making money than winning games. Oh wait, I already knew that. Overall an interesting book, but if I wasn't a Cowboys fan, it probably would have been a little less interesting.
Johanna
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I loved this book, and I was especially amazed at the size- over 800 pages long- filled with tons and tons of stories and facts, which makes it perfect for collectors and Cowboys fans alike. If you love the Cowboys, or are just a fan of football, this GIGANTIC book is for you!
Royce
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of an extremely detailed book on post WWII DALLAS and the culture of an inland Texas city. Sports fact and history abound! I recommend reading "Dallas 1963" first or in conjunction.
Kristie
Jul 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I have a co worker that is reading and he said that it is a really good book. He is not much of a reader and he is enjoying it.
Jay R.
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very detailed. You choose the right team! Go Dallas Cowboys!!!
Leylan
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Very informative and full of little trivia facts that help a non football genius like myself. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the Dallas Cowboys.
Farah Eason
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cowboys are my team. And I enjoy reading all the stories behind the scenes. If you are a Cowboys fan, this book is for you.
Steve Peifer
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Wasn't great, but made it clear that firing Jimmy Johnson was still the dumbest event of all time
Tammy
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My husband is a Cowboys fan and when this book arrived in the mail, I didn't think I would see him for a week. He really enjoyed reading all about his Cowboys.
Erik
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Great book for Cowboy fans.
Lee Balinas
Wayne Burge
Aug 05, 2015
Ariale
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the perfect book for the Dallas Cowboys fan!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• NFL Century: The One-Hundred-Year Rise of America's Greatest Sports League
  • Players: The Story of Sports and Money and the Visionaries Who Fought to Create a Revolution
  • Tales from the Boston College Sideline: A Collection of the Greatest Eagles Stories Ever Told
  • The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World
  • How Champions Think: In Sports and in Life
  • The Game Plan: The Art of Building a Winning Football Team
  • The Passage of Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson, #4)
  • The Path to Power
  • Greatest Team Ever: The Dallas Cowboys Dynasty of the 1990s
  • The Motivation Manifesto
  • Means of Ascent (The Years of Lyndon Johnson, #2)
  • Tales from the Dallas Cowboys Sideline: Reminiscences of the Cowboys Glory Years
  • The Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier
  • Puppy Mill Dogs SPEAK!: Happy Stories and Helpful Advice
  • The Gamefowl Breeders Manual And Cockers Guide Volume 1: A Practical Dissertation Of American Gamefowl And Their History
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills