Start by marking “I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Like You: Hospitalit...

Amy Sedaris

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  35,145 Ratings  ·  1,445 Reviews
Are you lacking direction in how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks? A dinner party for white-collar workers? A festive gathering for the grieving? Don't despair. Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving. No matter the style or size of the gathering-from the straightforward to the bizarre-I LIK ...more
Audio
Published October 16th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like You

Jessica
Nov 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entertainers, and those seeking to improve their entertaining skills
I initially misunderstand the intention of this book, which was probably why I was little disappointed by it. This book is not funny. I mean, there are funny things in it, but it's not joke book or a send-up of Martha Stewart or anything like that. Instead it's pretty straightforward guide to entertaining (the having-your-friends-over kind of entertaining, mostly, with a just little making-a-spectacle-of-yourself-to-amuse-others kind of entertaining thrown in here and there). As a guide to throw ...more
Jason Koivu
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Sarcastic, quirky and kooky, I Like You - this jokey book on being the hostess with the mostess - is perhaps the only kind of hospitality book I could take serious.

Half of this is domestic, home-maker, party-planner, cookbook material. In fact it surprised me how much of I Like You is straight up serious. Some of it's funny as hell, but then you suddenly get a recipe thrown into the mix. It's as scatterbrained as its author's onscreen performances. Hit and miss.

Amy Sedaris is generally a funny
mike
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urbanists, people who'd like to cook but can't, people on mind-altering drugs
I stuck this book on my Christmas list. Nobody bit.

I looked on Amazon. They used to say "popular in Cincinnati, OH and Montgomery, AL" -- no such information for this book. But something tells me I scared off my family with this one, with the cover being so garish and wacky. This is similar to the reaction I got when I asked for the Buffy musical episode for Christmas some years ago -- everyone just wanted to know, what the heck?

Weeks passed before I remembered to start putting in library reques
Nathan
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strangers With Candy fans, igloo dwellers.
Shelves: humor, reference
Genius. Amy Sedaris is one of the most beautiful people on the planet. Get this book, then go make your Fuck It Bucket. It's filled with crafts and recipes for depressed stoners. The book, not the Fuck It Bucket. Different story. Regardless, read this book. Good times.

NC
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Boy oh boy this one really left me in a quandary.

I read this book a while ago . . . and it gave me a sad so I didn’t write a review. My love for Amy Sedaris goes back a long time. Before she was all cute on “Elf” or doing guests spots on my new fave T.V. show “Broad City”

I loved her as Jeri Blank. Totally inappropriate, menopausal, high school student, Jeri Blank.

I wasn’t prepared to not love this book. I had to take some time and
Hayley
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: domestic goddesses, Sedaris lovers
Quite simply, I want to be Amy Sedaris when I grow up. I think it just might be possible too, considering that I also enjoy baking cupcakes, I have a wacky family, and on occasion I have been known to be arrestingly adorable (and yet bizarre at the same time).

Maybe the Sedaris family can just adopt me. I feel like they need to balance out Rooster and the crazy sister with no furniture. Hmmm...

In any case, I haven't tested out the recipes in here or attacked any of the craft projects, but I can'
Bobby
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
For the record, this review is for the audio book version; I may have rated it differently had I read the book. Also for the record, I was a good way into it when I realized that this book is NOT really geared towards heterosexual men such as myself (it was her giving advice on "vaginal cleansing" aka douching before I made this realization! Yeah, I know I'm slow.)

I'm very familiar with (books by) Amy's brother, David Sedaris, and am a big fan. So I think I was hoping to find something just as
Julie Suzanne
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
It may just be that I'm not cool enough for this book, but after I was bored and annoyed by the audibook, I checked out the hardcover copy to scan for recipes. I hated the book much more. I felt that most of her tips were obvious, useless, not as funny as she was trying to be, and overall just dumb. The pictures, although I'm sure there was some creative and artistic brilliance involved in making it just so, were offensively UGLY, making even the recipes I had thought I might like to try look di ...more
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I no longer feel like a failure in entertaining my friends and acquaintances. I also acknowledge the universal truth that alcohol is a wonderful tool to feel better about yourself and make others feel better about themselves.
Amy Sedaris clearly likes to party. And is creative. And has more friends (or is it acquaintances?) who will come to her parties. I cracked up at some the themes she comes up with and wondered, "If I use the tips in this book, will I become more popular? O
Mary Sue
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a coffee table book than a real instruction book. Open it anywhere and start laughing! Some of her suggestions are practical, some are hilarious, all are interesting. I doubt if I do any of the pantyhose crafts, but I might pick up a few ideas to really use. I bought this book when she was a guest speaker at a seminar series at the university. Enjoyed the evening and I recommend you do that too if you have the opportunity.
Bonnie Rue
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want Amy Sedaris to move in next door to me.
Universe - do you hear me?!
I want Amy Sedaris to move in next door to me!
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, funny
Amy Sedaris's mind is always at work. Here are some of her party and hosting tips (in no particular order):

*Don't bring your dog [actually, this is really good advice...]
*Invite the barnacle in your life to parties only if there are a large number of people so he or she will be lost in the crowd.
*If you are the guest: Don't arrive saying you have chiggers, scabies, ringworm or lice. Keep your parasites to yourself.
*Change your medicine chest from herbal remedies to something that works - fast-ac
Marla
Very entertaining as an audiobook. The sound affects are funny. Hard to get the recipes but that's okay. I tried not to snort out loud as I listened to this at work. I don't think it would have been as funny as a printed book.
Naomi
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like that you like me and I like you too.
kelly
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this forever, mainly because of the photo on the cover. That look! It makes me feel like Amy Sedaris really does like me.

And within that fabulous cover? Think one of those cheesy how-to craft books in the yarn aisles of an arts and crafts store. Now picture a witty hipster getting hold of one an revising it. Then a snarky, cheeky Betty Crocker throws in a bunch of her annotated recipes and '60s photos.

I didn't actually read the whole book because I hate crafts and all t
Aura
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started listening to this audio book this morning and finished it by the end of the day. Its short, funny and entertaining. Amy is the very funny sister of David Sedaris and like him they are crazy unique individuals. Their funny quirky stories make you laugh but there is always something relatable about them. Amy explains in I Like You how to throw the perfect party. She gives you recipes, decorating ideas and activities for your party. For example, if you are entertaining elderly people you ...more
Deb
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love listening to David Sedaris' audiobooks and thought I would give his sister Amy's book a try. I found 'I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence' quirky, funny, a mixed bag of nuts, with some practical advise on hospitality. Amy, our eccentric hostess, even shares some of her favorite recipes such as: Zucchini Fritters, Southern Green Beans, Li'l Smokey Cheeseball and Smack Snacks for Rabbits (can't leave them out of the party).

I really liked listening to Amy Sedaris read her book. She
Linda
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting format: a cookbook with farcical scenarios and hospitality suggestions. For instance, what menu should you plan if you are having a group of lumberjacks over for a meal?

If you, like Amy, have a rich uncle unexpectedly drop in needing a place to stay for the weekend, remove your earrings and insert a broom straw in the ear hole. When your Rich Uncle asks why you have broom straws in your ear, tell him that you are saving up for a pair of earrings. After he goes to bed, make sure to h
Madeline
Nov 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be a joke cookbook, but there are real recipes in here, and most of them look pretty good. Sedaris's book also includes diferent party themes, complete with decorating and entertaiment ideas (one of the games for the children's party was called "Gypsy - blindfold the kids, drive them to the other side of town and leave them somewhere they've never been before. The goal is to find their way back) and general tips - she suggests filling your medicine cabinet with marbles because ...more
Erin
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty clear that the name "Sedaris" is synonymous with "hilarious." Amy Sedaris is just as funny as her brother David Sedaris, which is excellent for those of us looking for reliable authors we can remember at bookstores. I love Amy's pairing of advice and humor and find her take on hospitality refreshing and honest. I plan to recommend this book to my friends and I think the audiobook will make an excellent gift come next Christmas.
Gillian Brownlee
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave me this audiobook right before I drove the 13 hours from my parents' house to home. Otherwise, I might've never known about it. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started listening, but it certainly wasn't Amy Sedaris's quick wit and humor combined with some pretty good hosting tips. She was hilarious! I definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a light read (or has a long drive ahead of them).
Christie
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like you Amy Sedaris. Upon reading this book I quickly implemented the "Fuck It Bucket." A bucket of candy that when life gets you down just say "fuck it" and eat a piece of candy. Life's better with a Fuck It Bucket.
MJ
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked-it, humor
Amy Sedaris takes a half serious half humorous look at the lost art of hospitality. While portions of the book were laugh out loud hilarious others were just bizarre and absurd. The one thing I can take a way from this book is add more alcohol to everything.
Daisy
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jenny
Recommended to Daisy by: Jenny
Shelves: cookbooks
Gimmicky but amusing.
I've tried the artichoke casserole recipe and it's not bad.
Morgan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny hostessing guide with some actual helpful tips among the jokes.
Amanda
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew learning how to put on panty hose and entertain the senile could be SO MUCH FUN!?!?!?
Jessica
May 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This started out funny, but then parts of it were just plain wierd. I'm glad that it is over.
Wendi
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for : Personal Use, Hostess Gift, General Gift

In a nutshell: When I first opened this book, I laughed because of all the humor (it really IS a fun book), but then I started to read it and found that I was amazed at all the helpful information it contained! Learn to cook with new recipes, learn how to host a kids party (this can be harder than it sounds!), write a letter to a celebrity asking for an autograph, what to wear to the doctor's office, how to bury (or memorialize) a pet. . . yo
Kevin
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sedaris's sidesplitting guide to throwing parties hopes to return readers to the times when the word entertainment was "charmingly old-fashioned, like courtship or back alley abortions." While her tongue is firmly in cheek, novice party-planners will actually find some helpful hints along the way as Sedaris offers instructions and real recipes.

Her tips run the gamut from how to properly freeze meatballs (freeze them on a cookie sheet before putting them into a freezer bag so they won't stick to
Kelly
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I like this book.

Dear Amy –

I like your book. No, I love it. No, wait, I totally *heart* it, in fact. It is way awesome. Much like you. I bet you throw the craziest parties. Will you kindly invite me sometime? I know I’m one of those annoying vegans who will totally muck up your dinner menu, but I promise to make it up to you by bringing plenty of booze.

Anyway, back to your book. Why do I *heart* it so? Well, the pictures totally kick it; it takes a special lady to pull off the bottomless-but-fo
not good? 3 100 Jul 11, 2011 10:19AM
  • Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence
  • Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
  • Vegetable Love
  • The Hipster Handbook
  • Our Dumb Century: The Onion Presents 100 Years of Headlines from America's Finest News Source
  • Mexican Everyday
  • Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: The Best of McSweeney's Humor Category
Comedianne Amy Sedaris confronts vulgarity with a daring innocence to create her wickedly absurd characters. You may best remember her as America's most lovable skank, Jerri Blank, from the hyper-irreverent series Strangers With Candy. Raised in North Carolina,, Sedaris got her start at Second City in Chicago before moving to N.Y.C. to write plays with her brother, author David Sedaris, who has hi ...more
More about Amy Sedaris...

“I think it's good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.” 2131 likes
“Don't leave a piece of jewelry at his house so you can go back and get it later; he may be with his real girlfriend.” 1073 likes