Start by marking “Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz” as Want to Read:
Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

(Marvel's Oz Comics #4)

When an earthquake swallows Dorothy, her kitten Eureka and cousin Zeb, and Zeb's horse Jim, they're captured by the Mangaboos! The Wizard of Oz must save them by winning a magic contest - using only his wits and nine tiny piglets. Then: watch out for the savage Invisible Bears, who devour anyone they catch! Dorothy and her friends race across the Invisible Valley, trying t ...more
Published September 26th 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oz

Alejandro
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Wizard and Dorothy are together again!

Creative Team:

Writer: Eric Shanower (based on the original works by L. Frank Baum)

Illustrator: Scottie Young

MANGABOO(GIE) TIMES

As the title clearly states, the two most famous characters from the first book are together again. Dorothy and the Wizard reunites!

And you can bet that new companions rise. Zeb, that he's Dorothy's cousin. Jim, a work horse. And Eureka, a mischief cat. As happened with Billina in the previous book, the horse and the cat can
Caleb
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic, children, classic
Cute, but overall lacking in substance.
Sheila Beaumont
This graphic adaptation, by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young, of the fourth book in L. Frank Baum's Oz series is outstanding. The storytelling, dialogue, and artwork are all wonderful and faithful to the original novel, and Shanower's introduction is enlightening. This is a fun series that will be enjoyed by all ages.
Wendy
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I borrowed this from the library mainly to read with the girls. My 7yo thought it was good and my 5yo thought it was awesome, while I thought it dragged on as they moved through the varous lands, but loved the art. I'd like to read the original stories to compare.
Lucía Cafeína
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ay, pero qué genial. De nuevo me ha sorprendido la oroginalidad del autor para crear tantos mundos y tan diferentes, y los dibujos son chachis chachis ^^
Books on Stereo
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oz introduces far too much content that fails to add relevant to an already captivating story resulting in a drawn narrative.
Marie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, almost non-stop action in this one.
Holden Attradies
The series continues to be outstanding with the same team behind it. I'm not optimistically hoping they will be able to finish out the whole oz series together.

I really appreciate Shannower's introductions. They usually give a good bit of history on Oz, and this book gave some really good input on some of the oddities in the book originally, and how he tweaked the story to try and fix them.

I know the return of the Wizard to the series feels like a big thing, and he does hog a lot of the spot lig
Alex
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
These Oz graphic novels continue to surpass my expectations. The storyline and dialogue are almost word-for-word from the novels, and the beautiful illustrations only enhance the fun.

As with book #2, this one gets 4 stars only because the Oz book itself is a little weak.

I really enjoy Eric Shanower's introductions at the beginning of each book. They reveal a lot of what was going on in L. Frank Baum's world and why certain decisions were made in the stories. It adds a lot to the reading, and I r
Jacob
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thankfully the same talent (writer, artist, and colorist) are committed to continue adapting the further adventures of the world of Oz. I've thoroughly enjoyed every adventure they've adapted and this story is unique because it brings all the current and past cast of characters together.
Nerdish Mum
I didn't hate this, but I didn't like it either. I found the story boring and I had to keep re-reading pages because I was skim reading. I'm really disappointed as I really wanted to like this.
Katie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Dorothy once again visits the land of Oz, this time accompanied by her cousin, when they fall through a crevice that opens up due to a horrible earthquake. Once they reach the bottom, they meet a plant-people, the Mangaboos, who live in a self-repairing glass city. Because Dorothy & Zeb are meat-based life forms, the citizens have decreed they must be put to death. The Wizard arrives in a timely fashion to prevent their deaths, having drifted down in his hot air balloon through a similar cra ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Great adaptation of Baum's fourth Oz book. It has been a while since I read the original, but from what I remember, this sticks closely to the original book with a few minor changes which are noted in the beginning of this book.

I actually liked this version better than the original. I think the graphic novel format works very well for this story. Baum's descriptions were often a bit vague and/or confusing, but seeing Skottie Young's versions of th
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
For this fantasy comic books series (combined here in a hardback trade edition), Shanower’s text stays true to Baum’s adventure fantasy for children. There is whimsy, humor, and some violence, such as the wizard cutting a vegetable person in half, killing an invisible bear, and shooting at the gargoyles—although the vegetable is replanted to grow new people. Shanower relies on dialog and rarely uses caption boxes. Instead, Young’s colorful illustrations fill the gaps by depicting Baum’s fairyla ...more
Alexandra
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the graphic novelization of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I enjoyed this book a lot, the art by Skottie Young was amazing, like always.

My issues lied with the animal companions, Jim and Eureka, in this story. But this is really a character issue, both came off as rude or very angry. I didn't enjoy the attitude either character held towards other characters in Oz, but I understand that this is part of the book. Not complaining, merely stating.

I would have liked my more
Liz
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, comics, fantasy
I'm not going to say in every review that I didn't like the art, so I'll just skip over that.

I think that the story was followed pretty well. I did enjoy how the vegetable people were portrayed.

Something I have liked in this series is the depiction of Ozma as a brunette. I know Baum had her originally done up as a blonde, but I like her darker hair.
Wilde Sky
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young girl and her companions fall through a crack in the Earth's surface and find themselves in a strange land.

I thought the graphics were really good (in particular the animals) but the story was a bit patchy.
Nat Vander
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novela-gráfica
Me gustan los libros ilustrados que tienen una historia completa (no quedan en continuará). Los dibujos y las escenas son fantásticas. La trama es amena y divertida.
Alex
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute but unchallenging. Maybe should have strayed from the source material a bit more to better maintain pacing for a comic book.
Katrina
This was a return to the nearly perfect storytelling of the first in this series: the text was clever and precise and the illustrations were wonderful the entire way through. Perhaps my enjoyment was helped along by the fact that I remembered very little (if any) of the story. Is it possible that I'd somehow skipped reading this Oz book in all my years of loving Baum's works?

This is Dorothy's third return to Oz and the first time the Wizard has appeared since his departure at the end of the fir
Becky B
This is the first Oz book in the Marvel Oz series that I haven't read the original version. Shanower does a good job in the intro telling the reader exactly where he made adaptations and why. If you aren't familiar with this Oz adventure, Dorothy has just come back from Australia and is visiting cousins in the San Francisco area when the huge earthquake hits. Dorothy, her cat Eureka, Dorothy's second cousin Zeb, and Zeb's horse Jim fall into a crevice in the earth and find themselves in some ver ...more
Aaron
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Having now read 4 of the 5 Oz books adapted by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young, I think the whimsy might be wearing on me a little bit. I mean, I love whimsy. Come on. I love fantasy, too. But the books have progressively moved further and further away from having any real plot or stakes. Granted this is adapted from a book written for children 105 years ago, but I think it shows that L. Frank Baum was kind of running out of ideas at this point.

The vast majority of the book does not actually tak
Rebecca Burkhardt
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is called Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz adapted by Eric Shanower in 2012. In this book, Dorothy and her cousin Zeb are going home when suddenly there was an earthquake and they are thrown into the world of the Mangaboos who live in an all-glass city. Shortly after they arrive the Wizard of Oz lands in this city too. There was destruction in the city when both parties landed, earthquake included, and the people are very upset. They choose to blame Dorothy, Zeb, and the Wizar ...more
Karissa
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Marvel’s Oz comics. This was a great installment in this series, it wasn’t as good as Ozma of Oz, but it was still very entertaining.

This time Dorothy, her cousin Zeb, and her cat Eureka are swallowed by an earthquake. They end up as prisoners of the Magnaboos and run into the Wizard of Oz who helps them escapte. They end up fleeing across the Invisible Valley. Eventually they end up back in the Emerald City where all of our favorites are in residence.

My favorite
Samantha
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kids-comics
I LOVE this series! I sincerely hope the entire team behind these great books stays together to bring this series to its completion. In this volume Dorothy and her cousin Zeb fall deep into the Earth after an earthquake cause the surface to fissure.

The Wizard turns up again in this volume and is as big a humbug as he ever was, though his tricks do help Dorthy and company escape some tough situations. This time around Dorothy and friends cross paths with the Mangaboos (strange vegetable creature
Michael Emond
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The fourth book in an ongoing series in which Eric Shanower adapts and Skottie Young illustrates these classic tales of Oz. Never having read this series as a child this was a wonderful way to get introduced to these inventive tales. While Eric does a good job of adapting the stories it is really the art of Skottie Young that I must rave about. It is so beautiful, so clever, so perfect that the Graphic novel is worth it for his art alone. But we also have some very clever tales of Oz to amuse us ...more
Sherri
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm puzzled by other reviews. This book title and cover match what I read, but my book is a spin-off series from Shanower's original Oz graphic novels, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. This new series is called Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz and my book spine says Vol. 1.

Also, the version I read does not have any introduction by Shanower that other reviewers have mentioned. How disappointing! I would have loved to read that.

Back to the book...I enjoyed reading this, even though I haven't read the earli
Tally
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I never want this series to end, it's just so brilliant. My only complaint about this volume is that I wish it could be a little longer. This time Dorothy's journey is divided into two parts - before she makes it to Oz and after. I definitely enjoyed the pre-Oz part better, it presented some new and interesting worlds and was somewhat darker in nature, whereas the Oz part was a bit silly and forced. I absolutely loved Eureka the furious and constantly hungry kitten - I loved her as much as I lov ...more
Kami
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
- Dorothy and the wizard are back! No Toto still, but Dorothy brings a cat. Dorothy has a lot of pets. How come the chicken and the cat can talk but Toto doesn't?

- Frank L. Baum had an extraordinary imagination. Each book is more bizarre than the last. Dorothy and her companions visit some very strange places in this story.

- Tim Burton should make movies out of all the Oz books. They are right up his alley, and they would be creepy, weird, and awesome!

- The cat is very onry. I wish it had been m
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Adventure Time Vol. 6
  • Wonderland
  • Emma
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Bayou Vol. 2
  • X-Men: Fairy Tales (Marvel Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2
  • Troll Bridge
  • FukuFuku: Kitten Tales 1
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • Dorothy of Oz
  • Saga #46
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Clouds Above

Marvel's Oz Comics (6 books)
  • Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Road to Oz