Start by marking “The Occupy Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Occupy Handbook

The Occupy Handbook

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Analyzing the movement's deep-seated origins in questions that the country has sought too long to ignore, some of the greatest economic minds and most incisive cultural commentators - from Paul Krugman, Robin Wells, Michael Lewis, Robert Reich, Amy Goodman, Barbara Ehrenreich, Gillian Tett, Scott Turow, Bethany McLean, Brandon Adams, and Tyler Cowen to prominent labor lead ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Back Bay Books

To ask other readers questions about The Occupy Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Occupy Handbook

Aryn
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People living in the modern economic climate
While I was reading this book that I received from Goodreads Giveaways, I came across this article written by Stephen King. Tax Me, for F@%&’s Sake! I found it very appropriate, considering the book I was reading.

This collection of essays by some 50+ economists, and other various intelligent people, on the validity of the Occupy Wall Street movement and what can be accomplished through it, really opened my eyes in a lot of ways. I agree with what OWS stands for, and I do agree with the way i
Broadsnark
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hate this book.

I really tried to give it a chance. But I knew going in that any book about occupy that was compiled by someone described as "an editor who has worked with Nobel Prize-winning economists, Pulitzer Prize-winning writers, and leading political figures, financial journalists, academics, and bestselling authors" was going to be a shit show. And a shit show it was.

It isn't that all the essays are crap. Some of them are quite good. The first section breaks down the financial crisis an
Nancy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
With 56 pieces by 67 authors, almost anyone is going to find chapters that are insightful and inspiring and others that are academic bloviating or pie in the sky fantasy. The book is divided into 3 broad sections-- How We Got Here, Where We Are Now and Solutions. It's probably best as a book to poke through. Most of the chapters are 5 to 8 pages long and stand alone so it's a good one to put it on the back of your toilet and see what influence it has on you and your friends. If you don't get aro ...more
Peter
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found the 'Occupy Handbook' to be a very comprehensive and enlightening read. The number, diversity and quality of the authors was incredible. The short chapters kept it interesting, though most wrote in a manner that even a mental midget like myself could understand. I greatly appreciated editor Byrne's approach of not looking at just the Occupy protestors and what they've accomplished, but also spending equal time on the the build up to the economic crisis and where the organization should g ...more
Matthew
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
Even for someone as economically-illiterate as me, this is a good book to read. With contributions from a wide range of authors, from Nobel-prize winning economists to knowledgeable reporters, from Paul Volcker to Matt Taibbi, in all sorts of styles. Some of the articles are dense enough to be plucked out of an economics textbook, while others are filled with reporting, opinions, and concise analysis. There's humor, outrage, concrete policy solutions, and so much you might not have known in this ...more
Nicki Schwenkbeck
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think my favorite part of this book were the suggested solutions made by many of the contributors. A financial transactions tax, principle reductions for homeowners who are underwater, and serious reforms to our student loan programs are just a few ideas that would put real focus on rebuilding our middle class and making our economy more equitable for all.
David Melbie
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to David by: Library pick
Not only does this book have much in that helps define the OWS movement, but it is also full of ideas and solutions by a host of people on how we can fix our failing systems. Very informative and useful.
Kiseruyoru
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Meh, at least 20% of these essay were good, but I don't recommend bothering. Read the other reviews for what people thought really, I'm just not invested in this one.

Greg Talbot
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Consider that even with Twitter, Facebook, petitions to white House and just about any new form of digital communication, the protest heard most loudly from the financial crisis came from the collective at Zuccotti Park in New York.

“The Occupy Handbook” is an enlivened, spirited book from some of the leading educators and cultural theorists who write about the milieu and financial consequences of the crash. Contributers include: Paul Krugman, Michael Lewis, Robert Schiller, Jeffrey Sachs, Robert
David
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of various essays, and so, the quality varies greatly. Some of the articles are quite good. Others can use some help. One argument which really bothered me was this: this author argued that there was a redistribution of wealth from young to old. His proof was that the average 65 year old head of household has greater wealth than a 35 year old head of household, and that this gap has grown over the last 30 years. What he failed to deal with was some simple items. Biggest weal ...more
Susan Steed
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Broadsnark's review of this nails one of the key issues of the book:

"But the contributors to this book weren’t thinking about people in prison. They weren’t thinking about anything that doesn’t affect them. And who are they? There are 66 contributors to this book. Fifteen of them are women. One of those women is just an interviewer. Eight of them are co-authors with some dude. One of those women is Asian. There is one black man who contributed an essay. Three Indians (by which I mean grew up in
Widhyanto Muttaqien
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A compilation about the roots of social movement in America and the searching for the prosperity, equality, and sustainability for future generation. Is about how to re-structuring 'our' politic, economic, and the mass (media) and dump any kind of junkies business (monkey biz, corruption and ignorance of others - the poor). Pro poor not just subsidize the poor, but to enforcing law with equality- and give them a chance with intervention of the government who's respect themselves, be confidence t ...more
Shane
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply put, this is just an incredibly diverse collection that connects a lot of shorter pieces together around the Occupy Movement. Labor leaders, economists, journalists, radicals, and a whole range give great articles to contribute to the discussion. There is nothing incredibly groundbreaking here, but a broad collection of brief contributions. Everyone will find a little gem.
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Melinda
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book for free from Goodreads first reads more than a year ago. I really tried to finish, but I just couldn't. I was hoping to gain some insight about the Occupy Movement, but instead I got several essays that talked around it. Some gave background, some gave opinions, but none of them worked together to tell me the whole story.
Kent Winward
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
The roster of writers is a veritable who's who of progressive thinkers on the economy. The book is well balanced and doesn't proffer a simple solution to a complex set of problems.

Mostly it inspired me to be more politically vocal and focus on the issues that really impact people in their day to day lives.
Carmen
Very fair. Includes essays that are not necessarily in agreement with the goals of the Occupy movement. On the other hand, the essays that are serve as wake up calls to those Americans like me who still wonder what happened. A starting point for me for what I take to be the mission of my generation: find out what happened in 2007/2008 and never let it happen again.
Maggie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was very fascinating, easy to understand for someone who doesn't have any background in economics, and a great read overall for anyone wanting to know why Occupy Wall Street came about, what they wanted, and what worldwide events led up to it, as well as suggestions by many experts to fix what's wrong with the country.
Kimberly
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Free copy received from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This book tackles the economic questions of our day from many different perspectives. It has a huge range of authors, the chapters are really short so it's easy to just flip through and read a couple at a time. I agree with some authors more than others, but the topics were intriguing.
Brendan
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I really only wanted to read this so I could find out how those hand signals work that everyone keeps going on about but they don't actually explain the hand signals so I say twinkly fingers to this thing.
Albert
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: social-policies
A good book to better understand the OWS movement, with contributions from a wide array of authors and experts. It took me awhile to read but it opened my eyes to how we need change in this country.

First-Reads Giveaway
Daeman
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of essays analyzes the Occupy Wall Street movement. Although some of the essays were dry, overall I found the book to be highly informative in terms of both placing the movement in historical context and understanding the issues discussed.
Karl
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

Pretty thorough overview of the movement, diverse opinions from a number of activists from all walks of life, thoughtfully collected in one volume.
Joe
Jul 08, 2012 added it
Covers a lot of familiar stuff that is familiar to those that already know about economic inequality but it has a wide breadth of authors that may add some insights.
Ginger Heskett
Dec 31, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kevin
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it

a pretty good overview of what caused this economic funk we're in, where we're at now, and how to bring about real change to our broken system
Suzanne Horrocks
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Occupy!: Scenes from Occupied America
  • This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement
  • Them And Us: Politics, Greed And Inequality   Why We Need A Fair Society
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Occupy (Occupied Media Pamphlet Series)
  • Letters to my Grandchildren: Lessons for the Future
  • The Leaderless Revolution: How Ordinary People Will Take Power and Change Politics in the 21st Century
  • Occupy Nation: The Roots, the Spirit, and the Promise of Occupy Wall Street
  • Dial M for Murdoch
  • Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Government- —and the Reckoning That Lies Ahead
  • Crises of the Republic: Lying in Politics, Civil Disobedience, On Violence, and Thoughts on Politics and Revolution
  • An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States
  • State-Building: Governance and World Order in the 21st Century
  • Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power
  • Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet
  • The Future of Power
  • Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer--and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class
  • Free Market Fairness