Start by marking “Death of a Perfect Wife” as Want to Read:
Death of a Perfect Wife

Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth #4)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  4,290 Ratings  ·  268 Reviews
Hamish Macbeth, the laid-back constable of Lochdubh, Scotland, has a new Land Rover to drive and a Highland summer to savor, but as fast as rain rolls in from the loch, his happy life goes to hell in a handbasket. The trouble begins when his beloved Priscilla Halburton-Smythe returns from London . . . with a fiancé on her arm. His miseries multiply when clouds of midges (t ...more
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Perfect Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Perfect Wife

Eric_W
Neuropsychologists tell us that humans reach their mental peak around age 27. Perhaps that explains my delight in the books of MC Beaton, since clearly I passed that milestone many moons ago. They certainly make no intellectual demands, nor are they filled with clever literary repartee, nor are they filled with obscure footnotes or references. They're just fun and the Hamish MacBeth series, the meanderings of a local Scottish bobby are (read with particular aplomb and accent by Davina Porter)a g ...more
Beth Revers
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mys-read
I have been enjoying this series. This one did a nice job of really clearly showing how Hamish feels about his desire to stay where he is and not be pushed into an upward mobility he does not want. Interesting characters and a nice mystery. Lots of involvement with the village, good spurts of humor that are character inspired. Growth in relationships too.
Greg Z
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes, Macbeth just wants to slug the bad guy instead of bothering with handcuffs and paperwork. So he does. This series is a blast of fresh air within the cozy/police procedural genres.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Jessica
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
One day I shall go to the Scottish Highlands, and there had darn well be a murder, because Beaton has led me to suspect that there is murder EVERYWHERE! I truly, truly loved this one, where a born reformer comes to town to open a bed-and-breakfast, and begins to make over the housewives of Lochdubh. Angela Brodie, the doctor's disorganized, bookish wife, becomes her most devout disciple, and even the even-keeled doctor wants to murder this "perfect wife."
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
I'm glad I gave Hamish Macbeth a second chance. I didn't love the first book, but I'm enjoying the rest of the series. I want to move on to book five, but I'm concerned I'll burn out on the series.
Una Tiers
A fun, light read. Beaton incorporates murder with the off and on romance of Hamish and Priscilla.
Elena Santangelo
This was my first MC Beaton novel. A few friends have been telling me to read these for years. Others have said there's nothing to these books--they're fluff. In fact, a lot of reviews said the same. So I expected something like a cozy mystery filled with cats or cooking or whatever, with not much of a puzzle or interesting characters or anything very meaty.

I was surprised to find good, tight writing, and lovely descriptions of the Scottish countryside that made me feel like I was there. The nov
Julie  Durnell
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england-uk
Och but another great mystery with Hamish in the Highlands ferreting out the murderer ahead of his nemesis Detective Chief Inspector Blair! The scene with the villager Iain Gunn and his bulldozer was so amusing. I wonder what will happen with Miss Pricilla Halburton-Smythe and Hamish now....
Jenni
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Far fetched this one. someone gets murdered in remote scotland and within the hour there are police helicopters, forensics, press etc ! Getting a bit repetitive now these, used to love them.
Jules Jones
Sep 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth in the Hamish Macbeth mystery series. I've read the first two, and skipped the third because the shop didn't have it when I picked up 1, 2, 4 and 5. I have no intention of looking for the third, because this is the last of the series I'll bother reading.[return][return]As with the other books, this has the lazy, amiable village policeman having to deal with murder coming to his otherwise sleepy village. In this case, Hamish spots Trixie Thomas as a potential murder victim fairly on, thank ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
The trouble begins when Highland Constable Hamish MacBeth's beloved Priscilla Halburton-Smythe returns from London . . . with a boyfriend on her arm. Then a paragon of housewifery named Trixie Thomas moves into Lochdubh with her lapdog husband in tow. Crying poor, Trixie is cadging furniture and household goods from the locals, supposedly to furnish "The Laurels", in which she and husband Paul are starting a lodging house. But then why are none of the donated items (and she is very choosy about ...more
M.
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into the print version of Hamish MacBeth (having enjoyed the BBC television version). The book was an airy, enjoyable read.

The true light of the book is the lead character, a Scottish constable whose competency threatens him with promotion and departure from his beloved village of Lochdubh. The character is extremely likeable. The other stars of the show are the wonderful Highland setting and the eccentric characters that populate it. Beaton writes of a place we would all
Sara
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish's friend Angela has a personality melt-down due to the influence of a so-called "perfect wife" who challenges her to discard her bookish way of life and her haphazard housekeeping methods. The old Angela disappears and is replaced by a compulsive, cause-oriented, health-mad cook, permed within an inch of her life, who banishes her animals to the back yard and refuses to cook her husband's favorite unhealthy meals. Turns out the perfect wife is a bit of a crook. We're all on Angela's side ...more
Kirsty Leishman
I'm enjoying making my way through the Hamish Macbeth series. They're easy to listen to while knitting and before bed. They're also a great way to catch up on my reading challenge goal, very quickly.

I like Hamish: his peace with himself and his place in the world. Overall, they're well-plotted murder mysteries and this one saw a turning point in his relationship with Priscilla, previously described as the love of his life. Looking forward to future adventures--if very sedate adventures--in this
Marcia
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, library, x2012
Actual Rating: ***1/2

Well, he's certainly no Armand Gamache, but I am growing quite fond of that lanky red head, Hamish Macbeth. In this book four of the series, the seemingly perfect wife comes to the village of Lochdubh, and the mayhem begins as one by one the formerly content wives of the village succumb to her "suggestions." As usual, Hamish is at odds with his superiors; and, as usual, Hamish wins the day.
Kim
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoy these books. Trixie moves to the Highlands and manages to upset a lot of the menfolk- but seems to get the women under her spell and embracing healthier life styles. She is found murdered and Hamish has to find out who had a motive.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the series: Good plots, definite and consistent cast. No graphics, gore, or language, not Christian (later novels relate this). Re-read them when tired of harder sort. Well-narrated by Sean Grindell. Recommended.
Judy
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light quick read. Just the thing for recovering from surgery.
Megan
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
another friendly, light read. I might be hooked on these for 'downtempo' reading.
Maria
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La scelta di un libro molto spesso è influenzata da vari fattori tra cui il genere, la lunghezza e quasi sempre la copertina. Quest'ultima ricopre un importante ruolo nella scelta del libro anche se spesso non lo ammettiamo. Se la mia scelta fosse ricaduta sulla copertina sinceramente non penso avrei mai letto "Morte di una moglie perfetta", commettendo un errore.
Questo giallo narra la storia del giovane agente di polizia Hamish Machbeth che, nel tranquillo scenario scozzese degli Highlands, si
Barbara Rogers
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving this series of books!! I can't believe I almost didn't read them!

There is a new couple in town and they are certainly questionable. He seems to be an ineffectual man who lets his wife run everything. She is a 'perfect' wife who spins her own wool, gardens, cleans to perfection, etc. So, what is wrong with this picture? Well -- they keep telling everyone how much 'in need' they are and asks everyone for donations of furniture, etc. However, being the persuasive, hypnotic person she is
Anna Bendewald
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a cozy mystery to take with me on vacation. I was completely relaxing, brought no work with me, not even my computer -- only my phone so I downloaded these M.C. Beaton stories via Audible. I got sucked into the highlands of Scotland and the vivid atmosphere of the countryside and then the murder mysteries that kept my interest and kept me transported.

How much did I like this book? Well, not 5 stars like a book that changes my life or anything, but I downloaded more of the Hamis
Toglietemi tutto, ma non i miei libri
Come sempre, nei libri di Beaton, non mancano i pettegolezzi, praticamente sono l'anima del libro.
Amo il modo di scrivere della Beaton, quando lei inizia a narrare la storia mostrandoci l'ambientazione entro cui si svolge, è come se ci facesse sprofondare nella trama, ed è allora che tutta l'avventura ha inizio.
Quando poi l'autrice descrive i paesaggi, è come se dipingesse un quadro tanto sono realistiche e vivide le immagini da lei delineate.
Recensione: http://chelibroleggere.blogspot.it/20...
Peter Barr
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this, the 4th in the series by M.C. Beaton, Lochdubh, Scotland Police Constable Hamish Macbeth is confronted by the murder of an English woman who has been making a world of change in the town. As usual, a team is brought in to investigate the homicide and Hamish Macbeth is sent on errands by the detective in charge. But he knows his village and follows up on his unearthed clues. The series is a good one. This is one of the better stories in the series.
Katie Rekowski
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haemish Macbeth #4. Read by Shaun Grindell (sleepy). A couple moves to Lochbubh. The housewife, Trixie, is amazing and wakens the sleep, drudgery of housewifing in the village. The husbands not so wild about her, except one whom she targets romantically. Suddenly, she is dead. Many were actually glad; the ladies of the village could't believe it. Trixie was so wonderful. Haemish will figure it out. So, did the husband do it?
Shona
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this at a charity shop and I didn't realise it was #4 in a series. However, I don't think you really needed previous knowledge of characters to enjoy this book. I have only given it 3 stars because it wasn't as good as the Agatha Raisin series, I think because I just didn't like the main character (Hamish). As always, though, it was easy to read and written well.
Karen
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My appreciation for the Hamish Macbeth series has gone right up since I learned that Robert Carlyle played him in a television series. I tried not to let that little fact affect my opinion of this book, but it probably has. This is the first Hamish Macbeth I have truly enjoyed. Of course, the fact that the perfect housewife was the murder victim might have added to my enjoyment.
Marlene
When a pushy Englishwoman comes to Lochduhb; Hamish is sure there will be trouble. Strangely, the village woman love her, idolize her, and all try to be like her, until she is murdered. Now Hamish is trying to find the murderer while staying out of the way of the crazy village women and the enraged husbands.

Catherine
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series so far. Looking forward to the next book. I have been listening to the series on audiobook. The narrator is Shaun Grindell and he does the various Scottish accents very well. Hampshire is delightful.
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Reservations for Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #2)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)

“No one could remain an atheist with larks around, he thought dreamily.” 1 likes
“I am silent in the club I am silent in the pub, I am silent on a bally peak in Darien; For I stuff away for life Shoving peas in with a knife, Because I am at heart a Vegetarian. No more the milk of cows Shall pollute my private house Than the milk of the wild mares of the Barbarian; I will stick to port and sherry, For they are so very, very, So very, very, very Vegetarian. —G. K. CHESTERTON” 0 likes