Start by marking “The Extraordinary Adventures Of Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar” as Want to Read:
The Extraordinary Adventures Of Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar

Read Book

The Extraordinary Adventures Of Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar (Arsène Lupin #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  4,608 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews

* Madame Imbert's Safe
* The Black Pearl
* Sherlock Holmes Arrives Too Late
Unknown Binding, 308 pages
Published June 1971 by Books for Libraries Press (first published June 10th 1907)

Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-french
”It was, indeed, the famous necklace, the legendary necklace that Bohmer and Bassenge, court jewelers, had made for Madame Du Barry; the veritable necklace that the Cardinal de Rohan-Soubise intended to give to Marie-Antoinette, Queen of France; and the same that the adventuress Jeanne de Valois, Countess de la Motte, had pulled to pieces one evening in February, 1785, with the aid of her husband and their accomplice, Rétaux de Villette.”

photo QueensNecklace_zps04aee73f.jpg
A necklace worthy of the very best thief.

The Queen’s Neck
Dan Schwent
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories featuring Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Thief.
The Arrest of Arsene Lupin: A trans-Atlantic cruise ship gets a message saying that Arsene Lupin is on board, with a recent forearm wound and going by the name R-. The message gets cut off and hysteria grips the ship. Everyone whose name begins with R is suspected of being Lupin.

The writing is good and there are only slight hints that it's been translated from French. The story was well done and I'm a little ashamed t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1), Maurice Leblanc
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ششم آگوست سال 1969 میلادی
عنوان: دزد جنتلمن: کتاب اول از مجموعه آرسن لوپن؛ اثر: موریس لبلان؛ مترجم: علی مظفری؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، موسسه مطبوعاتی اسکندری، 1343، در 140 ص، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان فرانسوی قرن 20 م
پس از شش سال، دوره ی دبستان بوستان که پایان یافت. نخستین بار در دبیرستان، از دوستانم، نام «آرسن لوپن» را شنیدم، از آن دوست پرسیدم: آرسن لوپن یعنی چه؟ گفت: به آدمهای ناتو و زبر و زرنگ چنین میگویند. پرسیدم
nikos
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Μια συλλογη απο ευχαριστες ιστοριες μυστηριου
Marine
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronique à venir (live book'in'osaure) :)
Mike
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 29

2015 forward to these overseas reviews:
Thanks to Project Gutenberg for supplying me with books for an old Kindle 3G.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Burglar is an early 20th century book by Maurice Leblanc. This first book is comprised of nine short stories about the skilled and humorous thief. I chose it because of the tie-in that the final story represents. (It is also the predecessor to Arsene Lupin vs. Herlock Sholmes which was the 2nd far
Jesse
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original gentleman burglar stories--first published in 1907 in French. I read the French version of book 1--the first in a long series by Maurice Leblanc. There are several short stories in each volume. It's a lot like Sherlock Holmes in that you're always trying to figure out how he did it, but the difference is that you are rooting for the bad guy.

I liked the story in which Arsene sends a note to a wealthy man and gives him a list of all the items in his house that he plans to steal, and
Tosh
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this at the moment. This is the first time Penguin issued this particular edition. Arsene Lupin is a major French literature character - where he basically steals from the Rich ... and keeps the dough. Sort of a nicer version of Fantomas.

I have a serious collection of the works - through out the years there are many many editions and stories - but very few in English. But I got editons from the 20's, etc. I first discovered Arsene Lupin in Japan. Over the years he became a popul
Benjamin
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a good heist story
Shelves: fiction
I am sure that I had to read an Arsene Lupin story at some point in my 9 years of French classes. I do know that we read a good number of short stories. I also know that it was a very rare instance when I actually caught the surprise by the end of the story. The French seem to have a particular talent for throwing in a twist in the end of a story that is so bizarre and funny that if you are unsure of your vocabulary, you can never catch, because what you are reading just doesn’t fit with what y ...more
Mina Soare
This is better than Sherlock Holmes!

Just to start on the right note. As you probably deduced, I wasn't struck by lightning just now, so please lower your pitchforks, fellow readers, it is my opinion (yes, I did go there) almost against my will. Nonetheless, you might find it easier to empathize, after reading the last story(view spoiler) (which contains the scene that got the fifth star)

The main reason for m
False
These are my images. I acquired the book through an intra-library loan. I was sent the first edition (in English) published in 1910. The writing style is archaic, full of exclamation points. The paper was so fragile, it had to be handled with great care. I learned of this author while reading a book on the Titanic...the thought posed at the anonymous nature of travel and how you can self-create when loosed from the usual societal bonds. The author of the Titanic book noted, however, that those t ...more
Matt
Fun light reading. According to the introduction, Lupin is the french Sherlock Holmes. While I also get the sense, from his own review, that he's exagerating Lupin's relative importance, I can see how he makes the argument. Particularly as Leblanc went to a great deal of effort to make people think that way. He has a whole collection (of which only one is included in this book, thankfully) of stories in which Lupin outwits the great English detective Herlock Sholmes. It was originally Sherlock H ...more
Helen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults.
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
This is a delightful volume of stories by Maurice Leblanc about the adventures of a Holmesian French Belle Epoque detective named Arsene Lupin. This volume represents a selection from the many stories Leblanc penned about the immensely popular character - that the editor considered among the best, and which also hang together, that is, refer back to each other sequentially.

I guess I enjoyed reading these confections set in a much simpler time, when wireless telegraphy was still an amazing advan
Selma
كتاب عادي؛ جاهدت نفسي لاكماله
( لولا اني وعدت صديقة بذلك لنتحدث عنه لكنت توقفت بعد 20 صفحة؛ حين حزرت هوية ارسين لوبين!)
الترجمة سيئة؛ والاخداث بطيئة لا تتسارع الا مع نهاية القصة .
لا اظنني ساقرا مغامرات اخرى للوبين
Annelies
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterful, ingenious crimes by gentleman-thief Arsene Lupin with at the end a tribute to the great english 'Brains' Sherlock Holmes; with a little twist:-)
علي الماجد
فكرة روبن هود بثوب عصري
اللص الطريف الذي يسرق من الاثرياء و يغازل حسنواتهن
الفكرة تبدو لذيذة جدا من حيث التطبيق واصبحت بذرة خيال خصب لتثمر الكثير من الشخصيات في السينما حول اللص الثري الذي يتقمص الامانة
وهنا يطرح سؤال مهم هل يجوز فعلا سرقة الاغنياء خاصة مما بنوا ثروتهم بنهم ونهب الفقراء
Mizuki
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arsene Lupin is part of my childhood memory. Remarkable tales of romance, mystery and adventure! What is not to love?

And I had just discovered a Japanese manga-ka had translated the tales of Lupin into manga-form: http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/boo...

When reading the manga, the Arsene Lupin I came to know as a child once more came to life before my eyes. Goodness, Lupin is so snaky, so arrogant and so full of himself! But on the other hand you can't help cheering him on and adore him nonethel
Writerlibrarian
I first read Maurice Leblanc's Arsène Lupin many many years ago as a teenager. I remember enjoying it but it was anything to write home about unlike Doyle's Holmes or Christie's Poirot which I did enjoy and was something to write home about.

Fast forward to now. I think Lupin is more a grown up type of hero. He's not evil but he's not the white knight. I would compare him to the type of "hero" TV Dexter kinda is. In a less psychopath way, of course. The style is very much early XX century nothin
Michelle Wei
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually finished a while ago... the ending was the same as the Arsene Lupin in the Eight Strokes of the Clock, but I liked both books.

I really liked the book in general. Arene Lupin is a very clever person and he is always messing around with the police. He lets himself get caught and escapes when he feels like it. People have said he is the equivalent of Sherlock Holmes. I can't say they are because one solves crimes and the other does the crime, but their IQ level is about the same. Each c
Hope
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this Lupin title for a recent trip and found the short, witty mysteries to be perfect for long layovers. My five hours in the airport flew by.

Arsene Lupin is a gentleman thief who steals not out of need, but for the pure adventure of it. He is so famous for his escapades that he sometimes sends a list of items he wants from his victims and asks them to wrap them up and send them to him to save him the trouble of stealing them himself.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin is c
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ma famille a toujours cru que, quand j'étais petite, j'avais dévoré tous les Arsène Lupin. Sans doute est-ce parce que j'étais une très grande fan de la série avec Georges Descrières et que, par conséquent, j'avais acheté (ou plutôt l'on m'avait acheté) tous les livres. Mais la vérité, c'est que ces livres je ne les avais jamais touchés. Enfin avant septembre de cette année.

Du coup, j'ai été ravie de (re)découvrir ce personnage qui m'avait tant marquée dans mon enfance et je me fais une joie de
Kairei
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also one of the most influencing books of all time, Arsene Lupin's adventures have inspired me and other writers to spawn many other version of gentleman thieves. The series itself isn't the first and original gentleman thief ever created, but it sure is influencing, especially to people of France. My favorite here is the last story about the meeting between Lupin and Holmes (renamed "Herlock Sholmes" to avoid copyright infringement), and I can't wait to read Lupin's other adventures in other bo ...more
Luis Suarez
Tenia muy buenas expectativas con respecto a este libro por un anime que vi hace muchos años de un personaje que seria el nieto del protagonista de estos libros pero las lleno a medias. Es un libro bastante entretenido con respecto a las aventuras de Arsenio Lupin en el mundo de los grandes robos pero hasta ahí. Los personajes a excepcion de Arsenio Lupin me parecieron super planos.
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librivox
Oh, this is what I always wanted Sherlock Holmes to be!
Azuma-chan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arsene-lupin
Well, the Sherlock Holmes crossover this time was way better than the last one I read. It was everything I wanted. Too bad it was a short one though, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Also, the friendship between detective Ganimard and Lupin is wonderful. I like how they respect each other.
Jaakko Koivula
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read, enjoyable snack of a book.
Marc
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce 1er tome ressemble plus à un recueil d'histoires courtes qu'à un roman. Toutes sont pleines d'astuce et présentent une facette différente de Lupin qui s'avère être un personnage très sympathique, drôle et attachant.
Jesse
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have given it 3.5 stars. Fun, but not amazing. Ultimately repetitive. The character was great fun, but anytime you read 13 stories in a row about the same character, it can get a little tired.
Céline - Tasse de culture
J'ai passé un excellent moment en compagnie d'Arsène Lupin dont j'ai adoré le panache, l'insolence et l'ingéniosité ! Une excellente découverte !
Camilla (ReaderintheAttic)
I started to read Leblanc's books by accident and thanks to pretty covers. Two years ago, I stumbled upon a pretty copy of the first book of Arsène Lupin's aventure. The graphic was well curated and the premise sounded good, so I didn't say no.
I had to say that I enojyed to story and all the short nove that contiribute to build a little background for the French thief.
The start of the series is quite bizarre, since Arsène is basicallu absent for a gret part of the book and he's not even the nar
The Wholockians: Arsene Lupin 1 9 Apr 01, 2014 07:14PM
asking 12 35 Mar 22, 2014 02:11PM
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mystery of the Yellow Room
  • Monsieur Lecoq
  • Ash Road
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Halinka
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • John Thorndyke's Cases
  • Brendon Chase
  • La Sorcière de la Rue Mouffetard, et Autres Contes de la Rue Broca
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • Fray Perico y su borrico
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • The Ship That Flew
Maurice Leblanc (1864 - 1941) was a French novelist, best known as the creator of gentleman thief (later detective) Arsène Lupin.

Leblanc began as a journalist, until he was asked to write a short story filler, and created, more gallant and dashing than English counterpart Sherlock Holmes.
More about Maurice Leblanc...

Arsène Lupin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)
  • L'aiguille creuse
  • 813
  • 813 / La double vie d'Arsène Lupin
  • 813 / Les Trois Crimes d'Arsène Lupin
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #5)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • L'Éclat d'obus
  • The Golden Triangle (Arsène Lupin, #8)
  • L'île aux trente cercueils