Start by marking “A Joy of Gardening” as Want to Read:
A Joy of Gardening

A Joy of Gardening

Published June 1st 1992 by Amereon Ltd (first published May 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about A Joy of Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Joy of Gardening

Abby
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
“The behavior of plants is indeed inexplicable. It breaks all the rules; and that is what makes gardening so endlessly various and interesting.”

About a week ago, Guion found this book, an old hardbound edition, at the library book sale. The spine said “V. Sackville-West” and sparked his recognition. He found me buried in some shelves and said, casually, “I think I found a book for you. Sackville-West: She was Woolf’s lover, right? I imagined you’d probably want to get this one.” My husband. He k
Yvonne
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my best loved gardening books. Inspiring and a book to get lost in. Like a previous reviewer, I wish I had the capabilities that she had to garden in the beautiful place she did, and the leisure time as well. This is a book to read in a comfortable chair with a cup of tea, and perhaps a notebook to write down all the inspirations you'll have.
Kathy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardens, favorites
Vita's garden essays, many of which were published as newspaper columns, bring with them passion and excitement and delight. For those who are addicted gardeners her work is inspiring (though also frustrating; how one longs for enough time and workers to do great sweeping amazing gardens).

I re read this one every so often and sigh. She was such a gifted and fearless amateur. One life long regret is that I never visited her gardens when I was in England, and only a few miles away.
Linda Gaines
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
American edition of Sackville-West's gardening columns. Lots of good information with Latin names of flowers and shrubs. She was Virginia Woolf's sister-in-law, I believe.
Erin (work)
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
a book to dip into. very short (1-2 pg) essays about gardening topics--"a race of irises", "water is the making of a garden", "familiar prettiness"--good to read & often helpful.
Ann
Alexandra
Mar 30, 2010
Alissa Kendall
Apr 18, 2017
Vita Sackville-West was a prolific author, poet and memoirist in early 20th-Century Britain who is known not only for her writing, but for her not-so-private, private life. While married to the diplomat Harold Nicolson, she conducted a series of scandalous amorous liaisons with many women, including the brilliant Virginia Woolf. They had an open marriage. Both Sackville-West and her husband had sa ...more