Start by marking “Smells Like Pirates” as Want to Read:
Smells Like Pirates

Smells Like Pirates

(Smells Like Dog #3)

Homer thought that being inducted as a member of the treasure hunting society L.O.S.T. would be the key to finding pirate Rumpold Smeller's missing fortune. But when Homer's sworn enemy, Lorelei, forms an evil organization called FOUND, Homer and Dog face an impossible decision: Work with Lorelei to find the prize once and for all, or abandon their lifelong quest to locate ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Smells Like Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smells Like Pirates

Start your review of Smells Like Pirates
Tanner
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
+12
The smells like pirates book is a great book. I personally loved it is a good book for the series by
Suzanne Selfors. Just reading this got me hooked into the series with Homer, dog, and Lorelei. The three reminded me of the three musketeers.

I personally think you should read this book if you like treasure hunts, suspense, adventure, and if you like pirates you should read this book. I mean Homer and Dog are a strange, silly, and lovable duo. This is the first book I have
Spencer
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was a great third book in this series. It was breathtaking and exciting. I liked how to author got me to not put the book down. I cannot wait until the next book. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Joelle Anthony
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As always, a big fan of Suzanne's books, and of this series.
Abby Mattingly
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading these three books!
AMY
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: None
369 pages. I read one whole section (27 pages) and could not go further. It is boring and I could not really get into the story at all. There were some really icky parts that boys might find funny but I think girls would not like. Also, the fact that a kid was allowed to go with a man in a car for an undetermined amount of time (friend of his father) just creeps me out. The boy named Homer has a dog that can smell treasure. That sounds like a cool thing but honestly the storyline hasn’t kept my ...more
Stephanie Brousseau
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I read this book to my Grade 2 class after Smells Like Dog and Smells Like Treasure and they loved it. It sparks wonder and adventure as well as deconstructs stereotypes in a fun and age-appropriate way without being political. I loved that the characters use no tech to solve their quests and it references a lot of historical things that started great conversations. We even had themed play days based off of these three books. I know my kids will remember this series as one of the highlights of t ...more
Abhi N. C8B
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was very entertaining to read. The plot was well developed and led to a very satisfying resolution. I would recommend the book to anyone who liked the previous books and anyone who enjoys reading adventure books.
Kalli Kroeker
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great third book to the series! They got better and better throughout all three!
Leanne Humphrey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Awesome! Loved the surprise at the end. Hope there’s another book in this series to be written.
An Odd1
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dog is mostly sedentary, but the age 12ish oddball trio hunt pirate Smeller's treasure under deadline. Villain Madame pursues. A diary holds a girl's stupendous secret.
Malissa Johnson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing end to a great adventure bravo to Suzanne Selfors. Action packed with a bit of cute quirks.
Elsa
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Calling all kids (and parents) who love dogs, pirates, or funny stories! This is the hilarious third book in the "smells like dog" series starring the intrepid Homer Pudding, lover of maps, and his trusty pal Dog, the basset hound. In this adventure, Homer goes up against his arch-nemesis once again in a page-turning treasure hunt. This is a wonderful series for parents and kids alike. I can't wait until my son is old enough to listen to Suzanne Selfors' stories.
Katie
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bought this book mostly because it was at the dollar store and the title amused me. On the whole, it's an inoffensive kids' book with over-the-top action. There is some entertaining dialogue as well. I don't know that the older end of the readership this book is meant for would like it as much as the younger side. There were some moments that I felt the book was just getting too ridiculous and/or illogical.
Nadine
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Really good book. Unfotunately I think this is the end to the series. Suzanne kinda left it a little open, but she also tied up any loose ends. I hope she does write more to the series because I would love to go on more adventures with L.O.S.T. And Dog. It was also great how she gave a huge surprise at the end with Loralei. Loved it. Happy Reading :)
Jan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very perfect ending to a very fun and exciting trilogy. I love it when everything gets wrapped up nicely, all my questions are answered, and everyone's story is concluded. Or maybe not, as there is so much more that could happen in the future for these characters and I would be extremely happy to see this series go on for another three books. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Angela
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidsbooks
We're back for another adventure but with less dramatic action. The case of characters is the same and the situation is over the top as usual. There is some kid-humor in here and villainy galore. A quick read.
Sydney
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i like this book because there is a lot of excitement and i like it because they have to find a treasure and try to get a greedy person out of the way.
Brenda
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love when books end - and yet they still go on. So many interesting options remain.
Payton
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Its where they use a poem to find the treasure of Rumpold Smeller which is a bunch of treasure maps and his diary.
PWRL
Jun 09, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Galion Public Library Teens
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Review by L.K.: "People who like treasure hunting would like this book."
Jenn
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-to-read
My daughter loved it!
Stefanie Kellum
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Another romping adventure with Homer and Dog, and I hope there are many more to come.
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
even as an adult I enjoy her stories - love the characters & their relationships with each other - especially since they are not perfect :)
Michele
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another excellent read aloud... my boys (ages 5-10) all loved listening to it. This one had some great suspense and adventure.
emyrose8
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely sense of humor in this one. Lots of adventure and crazy inventions to help with the whole treasure-hunting bit.
Gwen Staab
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
She is a very good author. I read to my kids every night and they really enjoyed it.
Michael Rhode
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Nice submarine scenes.
Michelle karl
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
read this last of the series with both the girls and with greg and everyone really enjoyed it.
Will
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is filled with adventure, friendship, and Basset Hound. There's not much to say without spoiling it.

• Woods Runner
  • Greetings from Nowhere
  • Ungifted (Ungifted, #1)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Wednesdays in the Tower (Castle Glower, #2)
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry
  • A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray (Scholastic Gold)
  • Everything for a Dog
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Homeless Bird
  • Jake
  • Love, Ruby Lavender
  • Zora and Me (Zora and Me, #1)
  • The Year of the Dog
  • Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)
  • Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
Suzanne Selfors lives on an island near Seattle where it rains all the time, which is why she tends to write about cloudy, moss-covered, green places.
She's married, has two kids, and writes full time.
Her favorite writers are Kurt Vonnegut, Charles Dickens, and most especially, Roald Dahl.

Please visit her at www.suzanneselfors.com to learn more about her books.

Smells Like Dog (3 books)
  • Smells Like Dog