Start by marking “Starry River of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Starry River of the Sky

Starry River of the Sky

The moon is missing from the remote Village of Clear Sky, but only a young boy named Rendi seems to notice! Rendi has run away from home and is now working as a chore boy at the village inn. He can't help but notice the village's peculiar inhabitants and their problems-where has the innkeeper's son gone? Why are Master Chao and Widow Yan always arguing? What is the crying ...more
ebook
Published October 2nd 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Starry River of the Sky, please sign up.
Zoe's Human As a general rule, folktales, mythology, and fairytales always take place in an undefined time known best as "once upon a time" and "long, long ago".…moreAs a general rule, folktales, mythology, and fairytales always take place in an undefined time known best as "once upon a time" and "long, long ago".

However, this book is based in Chinese mythology, so I would imagine the original stories were said to have happened either during the legendary Xia Dynasty (2070BC - 1600BC) or during the mythological time of the Five Emperors (2852BC - 2205BC). So that would be somewhere between 3600 to 4900 years ago.(less)
High fifteen It is a fantasy story that does not take place in our world. Think of it like this. Many western fantasy stories take place in a made up land that…moreIt is a fantasy story that does not take place in our world. Think of it like this. Many western fantasy stories take place in a made up land that seems like a European country during the mid to late middle ages. This story is like that, but instead it seems to take place in an Asian country (China or Taiwan to me.).(less)

Betsy
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember when Grace Lin first started writing chapter books for kids. She'd been doing picture books (mostly for others) for years and when at last she started creating small semi-fictionalized memoirs based on her own experiences she ended up tapping into a kind of 21st century need for books with a realistic "classic" (forgive the phrase) feel. The sideways shift into fully illustrated full-color folktale-based fiction felt simultaneously like a throwback to a long-forgotten era (particularl ...more
Barb Middleton
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Taiwanese workers have been fixing the leaking hot water pipes in our apartment. Custom is to not wear shoes inside apartments, but I cringe thinking they will slice open their foot on the shards of bricks, concrete and tiles scattered on the floor. I point to the tennis shoes I'm walking around in and say, "Okay... shoes." Then I give the thumbs up. They laugh and I noticed over the course of a week them eventually wearing shoes inside the apartment. While I like this custom of removing shoes, ...more
Ms. Yingling
This is one of those books that makes me feel like an AWFUL librarian. All the cool kids like it, but I found it personally painful to read. I don't know why-- I usually adore books with an Asian theme even though they are a hard sell at my school. Most commenters say this is lyrical and beautifully written, which is true, but my students never ask for lyrical books. My problem, what made me take my glasses off and scrub my face in frustration, was that not much happened, and the minute it did, ...more
Katherine Cowley
A modern retelling of traditional Chinese stories, this book is set in the same story world as Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. It’s not a sequel (it’s set several hundred years before the other story), but it’s not exactly a prequel either, though a few characters figure prominently in both books.

The things I love about this book and the first are the same: Chinese mythology retold, that it's a story about storytelling, that young people make choices that make a big difference in their world.
Bookishrealm
Okay so this one was my third book for #diverseathon and I really enjoyed it! It has so many great elements to it specifically the inclusion of Chinese folklore. Here's what I specifically liked about the novel:

-Learning stories and legends associated with Chinese culture. I'm a huge fanatic of mythology and folklore so this book was definitely right up my alley.
-I enjoyed the characters. The main character Rendi was easy to relate to and although he had a touch time learning about himself and
Laura (bbliophile)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got a little bit confused when it came to the character's and who's who in this one, but I still liked it a lot. And I loved seeing how all of these stories are interwoven with each other.
Kidsmomo
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review by Karen, intended for young readers:

I have a very important tip for you: the next time you have a cross-country flight and you’re looking for the perfect book to keep you entertained — make you chuckle, make your eyes well up with tears, make the time pass ridiculously quickly — choose Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin.

Of course, it’s always a risk to pack just one book for a long plane ride because what if you hate it from the first chapter and you’re stuck reading the Skymall magazi
Jenny
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love Lin's writing. I love the beautiful stories woven together and the themes that feature in her work. My children loved noticing the connections between Starry River of the Sky and Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. We listened to this on CD, and the reader does a great job. Lessons to remember: the way to peace is forgiveness. You can choose to be fierce like a tiger or calm and kind...no matter who your parent is or what your background.

A few great quotes: "If a listener truly understands
Christina Pilkington
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although not a direct sequel to Where the Mountain meets the Moon, Starry River of the Sky has enough overlapping elements that readers of Lin's early work will recognize and love.

Lin reimagines and reshapes Chinese folktales and combines them with gorgeous illustrations to create a beautifully written story of tales within tales. I ADORED the way this book was written! It's both simply written and extremely poetic at the same time. Its strong themes of revenge and forgiveness is perfectly capt
The Styling Librarian
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Feel so honored to read this book. Looking forward to sharing it with students and friends for years to come. Perfect stand-alone story with rich folktale mixture intertwined with the most beautiful story with rich character development. Cannot wait to read it again when it is officially published with all the illustrations richly in color as the treasure of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon!
Luci De
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I rate this book a 3.5
Personally I found the book quite boring in the beginning. But as the story went on, it was pretty fun to figure out the small mysteries hidden into the story. The ending was my favorite part. :D
Jane
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and this book did not disappoint. I do feel it moved a little slower as it took place in one location, rather than on a journey. However, each character and story told within was just as unique and riveting as it's companion.
Katy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful book by Grace Lin. I love the way she weaves folk tales into her story.
Isabel Carter
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this book was very interesting, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The overall story was touching and deep.
Amber Scaife
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A boy runs away from home and finds ends up as a helper boy at the town of Clear Sky's inn. But something's not right here - the moon is gone from the sky, Rendi can hear someone moaning every night, and everyone seems to be hiding something about their true identity.
Lin's storytelling abilities are spectacular, and her way of spinning stories within stories and connecting them all together is wonderful. Definitely recommended, as the writing is as magical as the stories themselves.
Cara (Wilde Book Garden)
This was even more beautiful than I was expecting. I love the importance given to storytelling, and the sometimes unexpected way these characters and storylines intersected.

This book left me with such a feeling of warmth and love and peace.
cindy
I remember reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and feeling very happy. This one sure made me felt the same. Modern retelling of old myths dan fairy tales, intertwined each other and made up the big story of the book. All light and warm, and carrying powerful message of forgiveness. The illustrations also unique and pretty.

Love it. Love it. LOVE IT.
Brenda
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rendi has run away from home – gone as far as he can to be away from his father, Magistrate Tiger as he possibly can. His father, hoping to become an important man, bullies everyone around him with his arrogant and dishonest challenges. His tricks and plans seem to get him what he wants, but Rendi cannot bear to be part of the deceit. Although it means leaving his mother and sister behind, Rendi’s anger at being used and discarded gets the best of him and he set off. His journey brings him to th ...more
Owen
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love all three books in this series, but this one is my favorite for three reasons: First, Rendi's internal, mundane challenges (his mixed-up feelings about the family he is running from and the family who takes him in) and the magical ones (only he can hear the night sky's incessant wailing) wind up perfectly balanced and interrelated. Second, as in Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, the stories the characters tell reveal pieces of the larger, centuries-long epic, but in Starry River of the S ...more
Barbara
I have been eagerly awaiting this new title from Grace Lin, half-fearful that I'd be disappointed because of my high expectations for it and half-gleeful because I assumed it would transport me to a time and place far from today and allow me to forget my own cares and woes. My fears were foundless since the author does not fail to delight. I was transported to the remote village of Clear Sky where Rendi has ended up working as a chore boy for a local innkeeper. I was enchanted by Madame Chang an ...more
Tracie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rendi runs away from home after a bitter dispute with his father, ultimately being taken in by an innkeeper as a chore boy. As Rendi gets to know the innkeeper and his daughter and exchanges stories with the inn's mysterious guests, he is troubled by haunting moans in the night that only he seems able to hear. To make matters more perplexing, the moon seems to have disappeared from the heavens--and no one in the Village of Clear Sky appears to care. The innkeeper is far too consumed by his own p ...more
Theo kids
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
As much as I loved the companion novel, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, this one wasn't as well executed. There was less to the main plot, and so the folklore stories felt a little forced. These moralistic stories kept popping up frequently, too frequently, and served to disrupt, rather than enhance, the main plot.

I did love the cultural elements, the power of forgiveness and the main character - who was believable and endearing. But there was something missing, the magic just wasn't there. I
Faith
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really good book! There are so many Chinese myths and legends woven into the story. Information was revealed bit by bit along the way, which kept it interesting. There are so many hints about what would come scattered throughout the book, so it also felt like reading this book was like playing a scavenger hunt game! There are many clever name choices and so forth in this book. Definitely would recommend it!
Mike
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Still well-written and with some good emotional beats, but underwhelming and oddly small compared to its predecessor. The passivity of the protagonist and the scattershot nature of the themes do a lot to get in the way of what could've been an interesting, unusual story, failing where the first book succeeded.
Lada
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Unlike "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon," which felt like it was full of optimism and goodness and adventure, thanks to the bold and kind-hearted main character and her crazy quest, this book was more of a downer. Everybody was whining or moaning (including the "sky"), and the main character was stuck in one place being ineffectual.
Theo Chan
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book itself held many clues to whom the characters were, and overall it had a good plot and ending.
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A little slow to start in comparison with its companion novel, Where The Mountain Meets The Moon; however, the ending is just as satisfying, and Lin's illustrations remain a delight.
Hanaa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful beautiful book. Loved it from start to finish. Beautiful imagery and ideas and amazing writing. A lovely window to chinese culture and traditions.
Barbara
Chinese folktales retold with more modern language. This might be more enjoyable as a print book.
Robin Kim
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was okay, the book was based in China, but the book actually feels more American then Chinese.
Starry River of the Sky 1 15 Feb 27, 2013 10:25AM

• Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • The Seven Tales of Trinket
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • Splendors and Glooms
  • The Great Unexpected
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • The Unfortunate Son
  • Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship
  • One Year in Coal Harbor (Coal Harbour #2)
  • Crow