Start by marking “Tim im Lande der Sowjets (Tintin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tim im Lande der Sowjets (Tintin, #1)

Tim im Lande der Sowjets

(Tintin #1)

Am 10. Januar 1929 hatten Tim und sein Foxterrier Struppi ihren ersten Auftritt in der belgischen Zeitungsbeilage »Le petit Vingtième«. Der Reiz dieser ersten »Tim und Struppi«-Geschichte, in der Hergé seine Helden auf eine turbulente Reise durch die Sowjetunion schickt, ist bis heute ungebrochen. Den Leser erwartet eine Zeitreise in die Tage der im Westen allgegenwärtigen ...more
Published 2000 by Carlsen Verlag (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Tim im Lande der Sowjets, please sign up.
Tonmoy It is not the wrong series. Actually it is the first circulated comic strip of Tintin. Due to crudeness involved an abashed Hergé published it more…moreIt is not the wrong series. Actually it is the first circulated comic strip of Tintin. Due to crudeness involved an abashed Hergé published it more later (1973) in B&W than his other works. However, more recent versions (2017) are illustrated with color.
Including completed and uncompleted volumes total 24 books of Adventures of Tintin exits. You can list of all here.(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintin au pays des Soviets = Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1), Hergé
Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (French: Tintin au pays des Soviets) is the first volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. The story tells of young Belgian reporter Tintin and his dog Snowy, who are sent to the Soviet Union to report on the policies of Joseph Stalin's Bolshevik government. Tintin's intent to expose the regime's secrets prompts agents from the Soviet secre
Dirk Grobbelaar

Despite suffering from a lack of any cohesive plot, poor art (compared to later entries) and political naiveté, Tintin in the land of the Soviets is still a worthwhile read for Tintin completists.

Even so, it’s not a book I would ever recommend to first time Tintin readers. It is worlds away from the genius of later entries. I would suggest reading it along with a companion work like Tintin: Herge and His Creation, which explains the troubled publication history and the influences prevalent in t
Poonam
Originally written in French, I read the English version.

I have seen the movie and heard a lot about the comics but never read one. And I think if you haven't read Tintin, this book is a perfect way to start, it being an introduction to Tintin, his dog snowy and their adventure!!

Being the first book in the series I was lucky enough to get the beautiful colored edition which added to the pleasure of reading this.

One thing hit me squarely after finishing this is how it portrays communism
J.G. Keely
It can be an odd experience to look at the early work of an author (and artist) who later proves to be innovative and masterful. The work here is sou rough, the plotting so silly, and the characters unrecognizable to fans of the later series.

But then, no artist emerges into the world fully formed, and even Moebius had his awkward stage. In this fisrt story, Tintin himself is less the clever, charming figure of the later books. Much like Mickey Mouse in Steamboat Willie, the character starts off
Nandakishore Varma
OMG! I never knew Tintin was such a right-wing fanatic! No wonder this book was never published in India!
Deborah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belgium, russia
I was thrilled to discover this illustrated book at the Internet Archive. While I grew up reading Tintin (and the Asterix and Obelix series), I never could find this first adventure of Tintin that was originally published in 1929 to 1930. Tintin and Snowy are more crudely drawn in this anti-communist satire. Although ridiculous with all that transpires in the Soviet Union and rife with errors, Herge's trademark humor still lives on in the boy reporter and his faithful dog companion. While travel ...more
Luís C.
Tintin discovering Russia, escaping from the Soviet policies and the Cold War.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Written in 1929 this Tintin adventure gives us a glimpse into the recent Bolshevik revolution in Russia. As such it is a very important document that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in the history of modern Russia.
Ghazaal B.
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ran into this completely by accident in a bilingual bookstore in Tehran. Pretty amazing piece. :)
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This Tin-tin adventure is quite comic, albeit the exaggerated picture about the Soviets - like a caricature of sorts! In fact, I did not know this had been the first of the series, so I assumed it was Tin-tin in Congo - less fun...
I loved reading this book and had a lot of fun with Tin-tin and Milu's fights and adventures...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 2 January 2015.
Kimia carstairs
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm 16 but still a child :))
I love this series
I love Tintin
and his smart dog.I love every single thing about this series
Surabhila
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A lookalike-cousin-prick masquerading in Russia as the real Tintin!

Didn't know a so much loved character was so badly presented in its debut!...and that its launch was part of an ugly propaganda!

Tintin in the Land of Soviets appeared first in the The Little Twentieth, a children's supplement of a conservative and fascist Belgium-based newspaper, The Twentieth Century, for which Herge (Georges Reni) worked as an illustrator. In the disguise of reporting current affairs to the young readers thro
Dr Rashmit Mishra
Re - read this today and i gotta say i still like it , ofcourse having been first published during the 1930s the book has it's fair share of problem like the whole Soviet propaganda and being focussed more on a goofy take on adventures of tintin rather than the later days mystery / detective style . To be fair the Comic hasn't aged well at all and yet , there's something about Tintin that i really like ,the adventure of Tintin is especially fun as no matter how many tough corners Tintin found hi ...more
Tristan
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm revisiting this classic series in Franco-Belgian comics. Among Belgians, Tintin is something of a national symbol, almost a source of pride. In a country this small and inconsequential on the world stage, one has to savour his nation's small victories, in whichever field they may transpire. Anyway, as a result, it hardly was possible to get away from the character in one's youth. Luckily, I was -and still am -rather fond of the series.

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets , the first instalment
Battameez

I know these books are quite colonial, racist and derogatory. But, these are the very first French comics I fell in love with as a teen, so it does have sentimental value. Going back to Tintin, I've realised quite disconcertingly that all I feel is annoyance for Tintin. I'm a forlorn mother, thinking, "No Tintin, you cannot blow up shit in another country and avoid prosecution" "No, that's not how gravity works" "What are you doing ramming full speed into a train HAVE YOU NO BRAINS, TH
LydiaMae
All Tin-Tin's adventures are great fun. I read them all in my early teenage years and had such a great time with them. Fast and fun is exactly what they are. Love them!
Magnus Meling
Tintin is a fucked up dude. He doesnt give a shit. He just crashes vehicles, beats up public officials and fights a polar bear like its nothing. I dont know if its badass or just being an asshole. I think he is kind of a dickhead in this comic strip.
But the entertainment value here is crazy good. There are things happening on every page and I was never bored while reading it.
There are some very outdated racist caricatures of Asians, russians and some very stereotypical germans, and I know this
Patrick Fisackerly
Unlike the other Tintin books, this was written in daily (or possibly weekly?) installments and not as a "graphic novel" (for lack of a better term). And it reads that way - it's incredibly episodic and repetitive (how many times will Tintin dress up as the bad guys to fool them? A lot), but it's cute and there are glimpses of the kind of humor for which the series would later come to be known. Not a great book, but cute for what it is.
Martyn
Jan 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one, not even Tintin fans
This was so horrible that I'm worried that my review will sound like the typical 'looking at the past through a modern lens' type of thing, which I can’t stand.

I hope my reaction is not based in the clumsy political propaganda that the book exhibits, that is obviously one of the reasons for the book being written in the first place (it was commissioned for the purpose of distorting the negativity of life in Soviet Russia). Nor, I hope, is it based in the poor humor – I get that language, humor a
Gina
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This very early Tintin is all black and white line drawings. The art is quite expressive and there is a lot of physical comedy. This is sort of the Three Stooges Tintin, I think. The story is even more ridiculous than in later Tintin adventures and while Tintin shows signs of the sanctimonious little guy he becomes later, he's actually a bit of a jerk. I think this is a must for any Tintin fan, if only for historical interest.
Pramod
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
crude black and white cartoon from 1920s but nevertheless same fun
Joshua
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tintin began with just a few simple lines and a lot of snarky sarcasm toward Bolsheviks. This book is a fun read and a great start to what would become not only an iconic character and franchise, but also the establishment of an entire aesthetics in the comics movement.
Resham Tharani
It’s the first book, so definitely there has been a lot of changes in the story line and thought process since then!! Compared to d newer books, this one comes across as an average read.
Debalina
I wonder what communist fans think of this book! :P

But a Hergé is always a delight to read, right?

Reading the first book after the more refined later ones gives you an idea of how the prolific cartoonist progressed in his genre where he is an epic. The typical storyline and Hergé-framework exists there from the very first book, as it seems, which has also framed the blue-prints of the comics that came later with the same structure, albeit certain nuances changed and some characteristics changed
Roanna
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And to think that I have never read a Tintin comic book before! (I bought one last year, but have collected the whole series now to read at the mo. so I believe that this experience counts. And will re-read that book - The Blue Lotus - too, again in order, this time!) Snowy is such a wonderful companion, in the series.
Craig Ryan
Having read this as a book as opposed to daily pieces, this gets a lower rating than would it may otherwise deserve. The book itself is quite disjointed but does provide a glimpse as to what was to follow. It was certainly quite amusing watching Tintin and Snowy avoid trouble at every corner - even if Tintin resorted to similar tactics each time (the joys of it not being written as a book!)
Nawrin Boshra
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have decided to re-read the Tintin series. Let's see how it goes.
it'chy
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
there certainly is room for improvement
Sharlane Naidoo
❤❤this sure bring back memories, my son borrowed the books and I decided to read them ...more
Natalie
I am a huge Tintin fan. I love the adventure, the humor, and of course, Snowy.

This one was not my favorite. It had humor and I love the interplay between Tintin and Snowy, but I thought it ended abruptly. The story wasn't as well done as some of the later ones. This is the very first one in the series so that is probably why.

Still, I was glad to read this. Tintin rocks!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Comic books/Graph...: May: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets 1 14 Apr 25, 2013 11:56AM

• Tintin: Complete Companion
  • Billy the Kid (Lucky Luke Adventure, #1)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix #30)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)