Start by marking “Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)” as Want to Read:
Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)

Happy Hour in Hell

(Bobby Dollar #2)

I’ve been told to go to Hell more times than I can count. But this time I’m actually going.

My name’s Bobby Dollar, sometimes known as Doloriel, and of course, Hell isn’t a great place for someone like me - I’m an angel. They don’t like my kind down there, not even the slightly fallen variety. But they have my girlfriend, who happens to be a beautiful demon named Casimira,
Published September 3rd 2013 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Happy Hour in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Hour in Hell

Start your review of Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)
Ambrosia
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Arguably one of the most disappointing sequels I've read.

What makes it frustrating is that it's not bad, by any means. Williams' writing is still solid, his characters interesting, his worldbuilding stellar. Bobby Dollar, hardbitten noir hero origins aside, still feels like a real person (well, angel), and still makes for an interesting protagonist, and his perennial snark still makes me laugh with regularity. The first third or so of the book, which mostly takes place on Earth, is just as much
Jason
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013, e-books
5 Stars

I really had fun reading the further adventures of Bobby Dollar, and I cannot wait for more. I really seem to take great pleasures in reading about angels and demons, and Heaven and Hell, as long as they are not sappy romance stories. Tad Williams has created a series about an advocate angel named Bobby Dollar. The plot and themes lie somewhere between the satire Mercury series by Robert Kroese, and The Demon Squad series by Tim Marquitz, and The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey.

“Lov
Raghunandan Purushothaman
I was more than a little disappointed with this book. I had started reading this book with rather high expectations given that Dirty Streets in Heaven had such a fascinating setting. There is no doubt that the description of Hell is vivid and nauseatingly horrifying (like any description of hell should be). And that's about the only positive point I can think of. Now let me cover the negatives:
1. Plot: The whole plot of he book is that Bobby the angel enters hell to rescue his demoness girlfrien
Penni
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4-1/2 *'s

M Tat
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
The storytelling is quite decent, yet when you reach the end and discover how much has not been accomplished, it feels like reading this volume was entirely anticlimactic (read: worthless).

It is rare when I feel that an author should have _shortened_ their work into something more concise, and Happy Hour in Hell is one of those instances. Williams clearly enjoys his storytelling, and his style has become far, far more focused compared to when he wrapped up his Otherland series.

However, HHinH is
Dylan
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was really 3.5 stars and I might change it to a four star rating...I'm incredibly torn. I really did enjoy this book and I love Tad Williams' writing in any of the books of his that T've read. However, while there was plenty of action and Bobby Dollar snark in this novel, there was just not a lot of progress. When I really sat down and thought about it, this book did not have a whole lot of overall plot progression for the series, just a lot of Bobby getting into situations and getting ...more
Kathy Sebesta
Nov 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
OK, I made it a third of the way thru and I'm just fed up reading descriptions after descriptions of the indescribable torments of hell. The premise of the first book (and hence series in general) is intriguing: why would anyone want an eternity of mindless bliss in heaven? Alternatively, who truly deserves an eternity of damnation and uber-suffering in hell? Shouldn't there be a third place where you can grow and become better and really exist? However, in this the second book of the series, ou ...more
Sasha
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
That is the short version of my review.
Just meh.

But yeah, I'm gonna elaborate, don't you worry!
So. This is the second installment of a trilogy (I think) dealing with all the wonderful misunderstandings of Heaven and Hell, the two H's humanity has always loved to discuss.
More than ever, movies, shows, books and comics have been twisting the tales of angels and demons and taken what we know from the Bible to another dimension. Angels aren't always as good as they seem, demons understandabl
Tom
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a waste of time. TAD could have summed this up in 100 pages or less. Bobby is not what I would call an engaging character and as angels go, not very convincing. Actually, he's a jerk who is in lust for Cas, not in love with Cas. And would you really go to Hell for lusting after someone? The description of hell was disappointing and very superficial...it was in your face, one thing after another and I was numb to it after the first 30 pages. So many characters that could have reall ...more
Craig Meyer
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-recommend
HAPPY HOUR IN HELL is the second book in the series about the war between heaven and hell. I have not read many of Tad Williams’s books but the concept of the first book brought me into the series.
The book has a lot of interesting qualities to it. It also has a few negatives. Let me start with the negatives. A good story for me involves a lot of character interaction. Large portions of the book tend to drag out. Tad Williams spends a lot of time telling the story from the author’s point of view
Bradley
This was not a hollywood happy ending. That being said, and disabusing any potential readers of some theoretical hero successfully dragging his girlfriend out of hell, we've now got a chance at an exploration of hell that was both imaginative, full of plot, and chock full of similes. I honestly liked it, and thought hell was done very tastelessly. I rooted for the hero, felt his pains, knew his situation was pretty hopeless, and still hoped that the bad guys would keep their word.

Our MC took one
Rhonda
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as intriguing or clever as the first entry -- *The Dirty Streets of Heaven*. I would guess more than half of the pages are literally descriptions of various horrors of hell. While inventive, it was over the top and after a while, either disturbing by the domination of of the horrific or boring because of numbness to being disturbed. I wanted more about the mysterious Third Way and the various machinations of the parties. Bobby Dollar remains a noir smart-ass with a self-deprecating since of ...more
Lukuoli
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Happy Hour in Hell was like Otherland all over again. Williams forgot all about (or just chose to put aside) the rather interesting plot he started in the first Bobby Dollar book and spent the whole novel merely running Bobby Dollar pointlessly around in an imaginary world. It was like a 1998 video game without being in control yourself.

The plot started in the first Bobby Dollar book didn't nugde forward until the very end of the book, and even there only for a paragraph or two. So, in order to
Dawne L
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this book without realizing that it was part of a trilogy but as it was, I found that it works as a stand-alone fairly well. Previous events are alluded to but the narrator grumbles enough to himself that you get a good sense of what happened (and how the protagonist feels about it) anyway.

Seeing as how the book is about an angel that sneaks into Hell, you already get the sense of how fun (for the reader and probably not at all for the protagonist) it's going to be. All in all, a pre
Brid-Aine
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
There seems to be no element of genre fiction that Tad Williams doesn't want to try his hand at. Having already covered epic fantasy with the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy and sci-fi with the excellent Otherland tetralogy (what a great word), Williams has turned his hand to urban fantasy with the Bobby Dollar books. Dollar, or the angel Doloriel as he's also known, is an Earthbound celestial litigator, here to help the recently departed argue their way into Heaven and out of a one-way ticket ...more
Tracey
I really wanted to like this , but I found it slow and long winded. The idea of a war between above and below in the works of angels could of worked well but for me it didn’t Interest me enough!
David H. Millar
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended. A good yarn.
Connie Jasperson
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, now we are talking deep. Happy Hour In Hell (Bobby Dollar 2), by Tad Williams takes us from the bowels of Heaven to the heart of Hell, and its a rough ride, and a heck of a good story.

But first, may I just say how refreshing it is to find a book by a big publisher (DAW) with such a great Blurb? This is a great innovation—they should keep up the good work!

The Blurb:

My name’s Bobby Dollar, sometimes k
Ant
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't particularly enjoy this installment. I think the author set himself too difficult a task trying to describe both love and the reality of hell. To me, it all felt a bit forced, which is a shame as I'm intrigued by the ongoing story.
I'll stick with the series, but with reservations.
If you're coming from the vast and beautiful world of The Dragonbone Chair and are excited to read more of the authors work, then I think you will need to reset your expectations in order to enjoy this series.
Paul
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Are you sitting comfortably? Good. I have a question. Just how far would you be prepared to go for the person you love? Could you rob a bank? Donate an organ? Jump out of plane? How about travel to the very depths of Hell?

Bobby Dollar is not having a good day. He’s managed to seriously annoy the powers that be in both Heaven and Hell. All Bobby wants is a quiet life. He wants to be with his demonic main squeeze, Cas, and to hell (excuse the pun) with the consequences.

Unfortunately Cas is stuck i
Anika Claire
Hell is a pretty horrible place, designed to be eternal punishment. Somewhere you’d ideally avoid, right? Bobby Dollar, angel and advocate is heading down there, though, to rescue his girlfriend.

Trouble is, Bobby has no idea how to get there, let alone how to steal Caz from Grand Duke Eligor and get out again. Then there’s the strange business with the Third Way and the investigation by the Archangels Bobby is embroiled in. It’s a mess, and it’s only about to get messier.

I’m having trouble putti
N.P.
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

This is the second in the Bobby Dollar trilogy. It tells the story of Bobby’s journey into Hell in his search for Kaz, the Countess of Cold Hands, after she was taken from him by Eligor, a very senior demon, at the end of the last book.

On the face of it, this book looks like it’s going to be as good as The Dirty Streets of Heaven but the truth is that it takes far too long to get going to fulfil that promise. This really is the central crux of my criticism of the book as it wasn’t until around p
Masha Toit
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Happy Hour is the sequel to Dirty Streets of Heaven
What a disappointment. This has none of the charm of the first book. Dirty Streets has an intriguing mystery at its center: the main character ( an angel called Bobby Dollar) is an advocate to the recently dead, arguing for the release of their souls to heaven. When a client's soul goes missing, he gets framed. That was a great premise, and I was happy to spend time with Bobby as he tried to make sense of it all.

In Happy Hour, the plot is that B
Eoghann Irving
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Happy Hour In Hell is the second Bobby Dollar book and it picks up pretty directly from where the second left off, so it's not the best starting point.

The Bobby Dollar books are a sort of noir urban fantasy with a major focus on heaven and hell. In fact this second book doesn't really quite meet the urban fantasy criteria since it's 90% set in Hell.

Tad Williams has a firm grip on the noir character and voice and his vision of hell is most certainly grotesque. He manages to steer clear of most of
Ria Bridges
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book that has my opinion a bit divided, depending on which piece of the book I’m talking about at the time. It seems to range from beautiful and terrifying to “please move on, I’m tired of this plot arc,” so it leaves me in a bit of a difficult position when it comes to reviewing it. Still, as always, I’ll give it my best shot.

First off, I do have to say that there is some profoundly disturbing material contained within the pages of Happy Hour in Hell. The majority of the book takes pl
Nayan Patel
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
As expected from a Tad Williams book, the pacing was good. However, I felt that the essence of the first book was missing where Doloriel aka Bobby Dollar was an advocate of human souls. At the same time, Doloriel's journey through hell was riveting to say the least.

The entire book rests on a Hero rescues Heroine from the clutches of the villain premise if I were to describe it in simple terms.

Having slightly conflicting views about the series rather than the book, I am a little vary now as to wh
Joe
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The second in a trilogy it's not as good as the first book which wasn't greasy either. On the plus side the world building is very good and the first person narration is also good but slows the story a lot. Plotting could be tighter and too many incidents leave the reader a little nervous numb. An OK read but Tad Williams can do much better.
Tisya
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The only reason this book lost a star for me is the repetition. I didn't mind the descriptions of Hell but the repetition of what happened in the first novel was unnecessary. Other than that, I loved it as much as I love all of Tad Williams' books.
Geli
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
For full disclosure: I got the German version of this book for free in exchange for a honest review.

Bobby Dollar is back and our lawyer angel hasn't lost anything of his gritty humour and stubborness! However, his life is now a mess thanks to what happened in the last book and Bobby really doesn't want to return to business as usual. With courage, jokey, and determination he decides to try the impossible and as a kind of angel-Orpheus to go to Hell to save his beloved duchess of hell, Caz, from
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Pepper in the Gumbo (Men of Cane River, #1)
  • 3 Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #8)
  • Days of Awe
  • The Dark at the End (Repairman Jack, #15)
  • River, Cross My Heart
  • Angel Light
  • Figgs & Phantoms
  • The Hungry Moon
  • Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • The Song of the Orphans (Silvers, #2)
  • The Drawing of the Dark
  • 鬼滅の刃 11 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 11] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #11)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Fool's Gold (The Dragon Lords, #1)
Tad Williams is a California-based fantasy superstar. His genre-creating (and genre-busting) books have sold tens of millions worldwide, in twenty-five languages. His considerable output of epic fantasy and science fiction book-series, stories of all kinds, urban fantasy novels, comics, scripts, etc., have strongly influenced a generation of writers: the ‘Otherland’ epic relaunches June 2018 as an ...more

Bobby Dollar (3 books)
  • The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
  • Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar, #3)