Start by marking “Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)” as Want to Read:
Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)

Power Play: Awakening

(Power Play #2)

Give me six months, and I'll give you the world.....

Brandon McKinney is a man reborn. Newly awakened to the notion of consensual power exchange and the submissive urges inside him, he begs for a second chance from the man who opened his eyes to this world: Silicon Valley superstar Jonathan Watkins. But no birth is absent pain, and Brandon’s is no exception. He fears he’s n
Published June 11th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published June 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Power Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Play

Emma Sea
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm
Cat Grant and Rachel Haimowitz are my Dommes

When I started in their service, it was so hard, you know? It hurt. I mean, Jonathan was such an asshole, and such a bad Dom. Not even a Dom! Just a sadistic wanker! It was difficult, and painful. Prolonged.

But rather than fighting the pain, I let it wash over me. Through me. I found the pleasure inside that pain. And that pain/pleasure was gooooood.

And then it got really challenging, and scary, because I didn't know what was coming. I was worried the
Heather C
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
 I've been so scared to read this book ever since I read Power Play: Resistance.

I kept asking myself:
♦ Will Jonathan find more creative ways to torture Bran?
♦ Would Jonathan learn from his past mistakes?
♦ Will Bran ever like Jonathan beating him?
♦ Will the sex be hot this time?
♦ Can Jonathan and Bran have a real life HEA?

...and all of my questions were answered to my satisfaction...of course I'm not going to spoiler on ALL the details! Maybe a few.

Some of the reasons why I loved this book
Feliz
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bdsm, contemporary
Lisa Henry
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow. Okay, I read that in record time. I may have saved time by forgetting to breathe.

This was intense. Brandon's transformation was nothing less than spiritual -- or maybe all that talk of offering up sorrows is talking me right back to when I used to hang around the local Catholic Church as an impressionable teenager. Just for that one young priest who wore a Batman t-shirt, a cheeky smile, and spoke Latin. But that's probably not relevant, so I'll start again.

This was intense. I know that s
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book was AMAZING! I LOVED IT. I cried. I laughed. I melted. Oh dear lord, Jonathan is bi. I'll lay down at his feet. Absolutely FABULOUS! This is a must read. I hope my official review will be approved so it can be posted soon.

Okay - to tide people over until my official review comes out...

RACHEL!
You delicious heart ripper, you. Just rip out my heart why don't you? Yes, I'm talking about you.

I was

(That Japanese character is also a Chinese one which means hit.)

At one point I was

then for t
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I cannot say after the emotional wreck I was from reading the first in this series that I wasn't ready for a break. I liked this one. You get the same fabulous writing - at least through about 50% in or so. After that it feels a bit different. This is more regular BDSM themed and not so heavy with the torture/abuse like the first one was. I was still absorbed - just not quite so emotionally invested.

Warning: Spoilers likely!

I thought Jonathon calmed down and became more rational here. I didn't
Tere
Ok, I'm a literary masochist of sorts because every so often I end up reading books about 24/7 TPE relationships, and really, those fuckers really hurt me, even physically. Anyway, I was curious about this story since long ago, even though I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it very much.

So why not? what could be possibly go wrong? And there was book one.

I hated it, I still do, will do forever, maybe; I can't even bring myself to rate it, I wanted to Burn it. One thing is not quite enjoying a book
Wynne Katherine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fucking yes.

This book man, I swear to god. I freaking loved it!

description

When the first book has been a little bit all over the place with the Dom-Sub relationship that was going on between Bran and Jonathan, this book took a whole 180 and turn the whole thing around (in a good way)

Like I said in the first book, I believe in learning curve. And it seems that my trust in Jonathan and his ability to guide Bran to realize what he needs and who he can be has proven to be true. Despite his errors in book
M
Wow. Okay. There's really nothing I can add with this review. I don't quite know how to articulately express how conflicted I feel about this book, well, about this couple, really. But here goes. I've always told myself that I much prefer MM romance over hetero stuff because it had the capacity to be truly egalitarian in a way that gender dynamics often don't allow in male-female relationships. This obviously is not always the case, heterosexual relationships and gay relationships can be equal o ...more
Danny Tyran
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, gay, d-s
Once again, I was riveted, emotionally invested and totally riding the high while reading this book. The hurt, the hardcore scenes, the lust, the shame - all of these finally lead to the acceptance, the connection and the love that I so craved for these characters. I cried, I laughed, I was expectant, I was angry. These authors poured all this to the page and like an addict, I was left still wanting more.

In this book, which picks ups right after the ending of Power Play: Resistance, we get to se
Ery
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
The perfect ending to a perfect(ly, blissfully) painful (in a good BDSM way) book. I didn't want this ride to end. I may have cried a little when it did.

Books like this/these are why I love BDSM. I want the pain, I want the misery and perseverance, if only to see the slow, reluctant emergence of a new personality. Or, an old, buried one.

The authors rocked, I'm in love with Brandon, and blissfully happy to have read this - but then, I like pain :)

Minor complaint - which doesn't detract from the a
Dreamer
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Upgraded to 5 stars on my second re-read. A superior explicit M/M Bdsm romance that concludes the story of Brandon and Jonathan. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm thinking 'abuse' but I still derived a wicked pleasure from this book.
description
"Why me, Jonathan?"
"I saw you sitting in that dingy old bar, and you shone like a beacon, Brandon. So bright and beautiful and fierce. A fighter. Hungry...
And to be honest, I wanted to be the one to tame that beast. Such raw power in you Brandon. So much strengt
Sara
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Strong enough themselves to weather the storm that was largely their own brewing, they turned loose and plundered the wrecks that floated about them.” ~Jack London, The Iron Heel

Never has a quote been truer for the story of Jonathan and Bran. I honestly think the authors did a fantastic job of mind fucking me until I was in sub space with Resistance and then sensually stroking me until I submitted on my knees in perfect posture with Awakening. This, THIS is the story I wanted!

"You’re too sm
Gyn
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I knew it! I knew it! After the first book I was feeling like I didn't really want to go on. It was harsh and brutal and so very very hardcore and I couldn't find any light in all of it. Jonathan was almost mean. Brandon was clearly not getting any sort of fulfillment out of it. There was very little interaction between the characters aside from the beatings. BUT when the second book came along I knew I was going to dive in. Why? Because it was Rachel Haimowitz! And from having read some of her ...more
Smith Barney
So-some boys can be such mean brutal little f'ers..because it's like some survival-of-the-fittest-hard-wired-pre-genetic-code-kind of shit..in them..or something.

I'm thinking BDSM power games are like some grown-up x-rated version of all those child-hood domination games some of us used to play..

(view spoiler)

This writer doesn't just talk a good kinky-kind-of game but rather instead..effectively sells experience in the life through the writing..and it shows very well.

This stor
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
So, I got to the crash site (see review #1) stayed awhile and found...nope, not sticking around.

NO RATING...from me,INTRESTING...BUT...NOT MY THING.

I had to skim...like jumping over dead bodies, ya'know!

And, I will try to not let my drauma/trauma Queen tude not shed in the review.

But, OoOMyGAWD..This book is a bit *circling finger over temporal lobe*.

-Ok

This book was a bit much for me. It has an underlying sweetness to it that I adored....

“Shit, and shit, and shit again, he thought as Brandon’
Darkm
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
The first book in this series was hard for me to read. It made me uncomfortable and angry on more than one occasion, but the way it was so perfectly written made it impossible for me to stop until I had finished reading.

This book is even better.
Finally Jonathan realizes his mistakes and really makes an effort to learn what can work and not work with Bran.
And finally Brandon is ready to start is journey toward a perfect submission.

The "pain level" in some scenes was a bit too high for me, but the
Chelsea
This book was like night and day compared to the first book, Resistance. This was actually so sweet and tender that I have to deduct a star for lack of angst (I know I know, book one too much angst and now this one doesn't have enough??? can anything please you Chelsea?).

Jonathan and Bran are sooo completely different in this story that I can't even reconcile these two to the men they were in the first book. Jonathan still pushes Bran but does it using discussion and a healthy mix of pain and pl
Leanne
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gah! I loved this story!!
I can't seem to find the words yet but I feel the need to write some kind of review other than my usual batch of superfluous bookshelf tabs... suffice to say that although I cannot begin to understand how this kind of D/s relationship works in Real Life, it's bloody fascinating...and hot as hell...and, as Emma C's review so rightly states, when you're in the masterful hands of Rachel Haimowitz and Cat Grant this pain/pleasure can't be anything but goooood. I'd have to
Mtak91
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I read both books in a day. All day long I did nothing but read, cry/whimper/shake, smoke, read, smoke some more and read a whole lot more. But fuck if i could put those two books down. For that reason, and for that reason ONLY i gave the second book 3 stars. I gave the first one a 1 star because that was how i felt about that book. If i'm going to be reviewing the writer's ability to write a book that doesn't let me take my eyes off of it for even a minute, has me sitting on the edge of my seat ...more
Shelley
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, a-2013-favorite
YES! I knew it would be worth it.

This is what it should have been from the start. I trusted the author’s to deliver and they did. Oh boy did they ever!

Okay, it’s still not ALL flowers and orgasms but it’s as close as we’ll ever get.
Awakening is a soothing gentle caress in comparison to Redemption; this is the much needed aftercare that was so horribly absent before. I give huge thanks for that because honestly? I don’t think I could have stomached any more of the same.

Awakening takes place in a
Adara
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one so much, starting with the cover. (OMG, that cover is the sexiest thing, ever.)

At the end of the previous book, Jonathan comes to realize that he assumed way too much about Brandon and failed him miserably. Bran was an absolute wreck when he went back to Jonathan and let him have it. So they both had reasons for wanting to move forward (more than just the money or pride). And with their new understandings, things start much better than they did the first time around.

Neither is p
Trio
one word: clothespins

Well the mindfuckery continues, damn Jonathan likes to mess with Bran. However, it all ended up for the best and Bran made a humongous metamorphosis over the course of six months. Wasn't sure at the start of the first book how the authors could ever pull it off but it totally works, 100% worth every cringe.
Eve
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are already lot of great reviews so I'll just say that this books is exactly as good as I needed it to be after reading book 1. A true and thorough study of a power transfer..
DarienMoya
~OMFG! THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!
5+++++

I don’t even have the words to express how awesome this book was, no freaking words. This will be another review where I am unable to express the awesmazingness packed into 292 pages. Cat and Rachel has outdone themselves with PP: A, and after fangirling over book 1, I am stone cold obsessed with Power Play: Awakening. Jonathan and Brandon are a tattoo on my heart and in brain. Impossible to Forget.

Power Play: Awakening picks up right after the first book, whic
 Rosebud
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the follow-up to the Power Play: Resistance (PPR) book. Starts right where book 1 left off.

I won't proceed without saying that this is an gay dark erotica read. It has m/m, aggressive BDSM play practices, and edge/intense play scenes. Not for the easily offended crowd. Consider yourself warned.

That being said this is a wowzer book. I thought PPR pushed my comfort level boundaries but that was until I got to this one. It's like an accident scene you're driving by. You know you shouldn't
Kristie
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Damn, this was good. I was just a little disappointed in the ending... felt there should have been a little more between the last chapter and the epilogue. I wanted to see what happened, not just have it brushed over. Even with that, I enjoyed this a lot. The beautiful submission Bran gives to Jonathan, just wow. That was truly amazing.
Bree
Jun 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
OK, this one took me longer to read than the first one. Why? Because I knew I wasn't going to enjoy myself. Still I read it.

My same complaints stand from my review of the first book. This isn't BDSM. It isn't sexy. It's just disturbing. Deeply, deeply disturbing. I don't understand the attraction of this sort of story, but to each their own. I don't recommend it.
Shannon
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost a five star read for me. Loved the progression from the first book. I think it was such a huge disappointment to have just a flashback at the end instead of seeing what actually happened when they reunited that I just felt really let down.
Joanne
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just superb, that's all I can say, except how can the authors top this?
  • A House of Cards: Deconstructing Ethan (The Forbidden Room, #2)
  • Collared
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • If It Fornicates (Market Garden, #4)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 3 (Dark Soul, #3)
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • By His Rules
  • Under Contract
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Don't... (Don't..., #1)
  • Fettered
  • Catalyst
  • O Come All Ye Kinky
M/M erotic romance author, freelance writer and editor, sadist with a pesky conscience, shamelessly silly, proudly pervish. I'm a twitter addict (@rachelhaimowitz), and I blog every M/W/F at Fantasy Unbound. To learn all about my current and upcoming projects, please stop by my website. I love to hear from folks, so feel free to drop me a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com.

Power Play (2 books)
  • Resistance (Power Play, #1)
“Shit, and shit, and shit again, he thought as Brandon’s arms wrapped around him and dragged them to the floor with the unfettered force of their passion. I’m in love. God help me, I’m in love.” 3 likes
“He climbed out of the car, feeling stiff and awkward with that hot heavy weight between his legs, that miserable unsatisfied ball of need. Better play it cool, though; if Jonathan knew how bad off he was, the teasing would last for hours. Sadists smelled desperation as surely as sharks scented blood in the water. And Jonathan was very much at the top of his particular food chain.” 2 likes