Start by marking “Dracula's Demeter” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Demeter

Dracula's Demeter

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

July, 1897, the Russian schooner, Demeter, set sail from Varna. Privately chartered by a Transylvanian nobleman, her cargo consisted of fifty oblong wooden boxes partially filled with earth. A month later, in the midst of a raging storm, the derelict Demeter ran aground in Whitby, England, her crew missing save for her captain,
Published March 7th 2012 by Stylus-of-Iron

To ask other readers questions about Dracula's Demeter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula's Demeter

Denna
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-horror
Dracula by Bram Stoker is one of my all time favorite novels and, like many others, was probably the beginning of my lifelong love of the vampire, both the romanticized versions and those with more of a darker nature. I admit I’ve always been curious about what took place on the ship Dracula was transported to England on. In Stoker’s novel we know the vampire is a stowaway, hidden away in his crates of foul dirt, and that no one is left alive to steer the ship into port at the end of the voyage. ...more
Tim McGregor
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Author Doug Lamoreux revisits a classic of the horror genre and spins new life in a well-told tale in Dracula’s Demeter. The story reveals an unknown aspect of Bram Stoker’s original tale by exploring the doomed voyage of the Russian schooner Demeter as it ferries a mysterious cargo from the Black Sea to the shores of England. Hidden in the hold are fifty boxes of earth and the lord of all vampires, Count Dracula himself.

We’re introduced to the Russian captain Smirnov and his crew, along with a
Helen Robare
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. My only regret is that I read Dracula many times before I found this book. The characters were well written and the fear slowly built into the terror it achieved at the end. I found myself thinking as I read "too bad the characters/ship's crew didn't band together and share information until it was way too late. The addition of Ekatrina (a young girl stowaway) was brilliant as it kept Dracula busy for quite some time. Did this book scare me? It did a little (and pro ...more
David
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dracula's Demeter endeavors to take a brief, haunting episode from Bram Stoker’s Dracula and expand it into a full-length novel in its own right. This is the story of Dracula’s sea voyage from Transylvania to England.

Dracula’s Demeter uses the log of the Demeter from Bram Stoker’s Dracula as an outline. The logbook in Stoker’s novel gives us the name of many of the ill-fated ship’s crew: Petrofsky, Olgaren, and Abramoff. We know there are two mates and a cook, and the first mate is Romanian, whi
Brandon Hale
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every October I re-read Dracula. It's a tradition for me. I've also thought for decades that Dracula's journey on the Demeter would make a great stand-alone story.

I've never met Mr. Lamoreux, but I have interacted with him through email (briefly) when he submitted a short story for a Halloween collection I put together. When I saw that he'd actually written a book based on the Demeter I was immediately skeptical.

Writing a book about Stoker's vampire is a tricky game to play. Hollywood (in my o
Thomas Walsh
Reading this and "Stoker's Manuscript" together, as they explain different shades of the "Dracula" novel. In this one, Dracula uses his powers to manipulate events in order to board a ship bound for England. We get the clinical detail of why he needs soil, and how he gets madman's Renfield's help. Jonathan Harker is here, and his fiancee too. See my notes in "Stoker's Manuscript."
John R. Dailey Jr.
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A GRAND TALE OF THE MASTER IT IS....

Hello, damn fine story here. Written about as properly as one could want. Sad tale it is, though. Very enjoyable. Thanks.
A.J. Griffiths-Jones
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual combination of vampires & high seas adventure. The author is knowledgeable in historical nautical terms but doesn't overwhelm the reader with complex prose. Each character has depth & the relationships are wondefully described as the crew aboard the 'Demeter' discover their deadly cargo & fears become reality as they make their way from Eastern Europe to Whitby, England. I will definitely be looking for more work from this author.
Claudia Foglein-Goins
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the story of how Dracula arrived in England . I found it a decent story with occasional parts that got a little long winded . Only one passenger written into the tale annoyed me but I wont get into that.
Sahara Foley
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of Doug Lamareux’s writing since I read The Devil’s Bed. I had a blast reading that book, so I was looking forward to this one. As I got into the first chapter I stopped and went, Oh, one of those. I’m not a fan of literary writing like Moby Dick, Grapes of Wrath, etc. To me, it’s like reading technical manuals. But I was intrigued by the story matter and I knew if Doug wrote it, it had to be an awesome tale. I was not disappointed. There are no surprise endings here, as we know ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Writers and Readers : Dracula's Demeter 3 20 Oct 03, 2012 07:58AM
Classic Horror Lo...: The King of Vampires - Free 1 16 Jun 09, 2012 03:14AM
Vampires, Werewol...: The King of Vampires - Free 1 5 Jun 09, 2012 03:12AM
Writers and Readers : The King of Vampires - Free 1 4 Jun 09, 2012 02:47AM
Doug is a writer, actor, and horror film historian. His two new novels, Seven for the Slab: A Horror Portmanteau, and Obsidian Tears, the eagerly-anticipated sequel to the Amazon Native American #1 bestseller Apparition Lake, co-authored by Daniel D. Lamoreux, are available from Creativia Publishing.

The first-ever Igor Award winner from The Horror Society, for his short story The Procedure (The Be
More about Doug Lamoreux...
“All this blood,” Nikilov had said, waving his pathetic crucifix. “And not a drop to drink.” 0 likes