Start by marking “Wings of Arian (Solus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wings of Arian (Solus, #1)

Wings of Arian

(Solus #1)

Kiora thought she had never heard a lie until she was sixteen. But she was wrong. Her entire existence was based on nothing but. She thought that evil did not exist. Lie. That magic was not real. Lie. And that the land of Meros was all there was. One more lie.

With Aleric telling her that evil is knocking on the door and that she is the only one who can stop them she has a
Published April 24th 2012 by Stonehouse Ink (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wings of Arian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of Arian

Start your review of Wings of Arian (Solus, #1)
Jamie
Please excuse my foul language, but…

HOLY FUCK. I loved the shit out of this book.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a book--or series even!--in a very long time. Wings of Arian was just spectacular. Unique. Beautiful. Fabulous. Breathtaking. Heart-clenching. Tear-jerking. Amazing. Wonderful. Terrific. Extraordinary. Marvelous. And those are just some of the words that I can think of to describe how incredible this book was.
I finished the book about thirty minutes ago, and my heart is
Devri Walls
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I have read the book more times than anyone should. And by that I mean at least twenty. Including three times of reading it out loud cover to cover. So, I suppose after all that I have to love it right?
MJ
Jun 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yuck, did-not-finish
Oh wow, this is a let down. The cover: amazing. I'm so ready to hop in the water with that hottie! But the book? It was BAD! There was a prophecy many years ago that "evil" would come back and a magic person (forgot the word from the book) was also going to be found. So fast forward to this disgustingly, squeaky clean kingdom with NO evil. The monarchs have not told the people about the prophecy because they didn't want to destroy their innocence. All of a sudden this girl is dropped in, and you ...more
Melinda
2 Stars
I CANNOT get into this book.
And I really, REALLY tried.
On the surface it had everything going for it that I like, I love fantasy novels, always have and the writing was decent. There are lots of interesting sounding characters and the plot seemed promising.
Unfortunately it never went further than the promise for me.
And I seem to be alone for this one, because this book gets glowing reviews from almost everyone else.
For me it all just felt really.. flat.
The characters were whiny and annoyi
Emily
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like it took me weeks to finish this book. I'm a quick reader and it really took a bit of work to get through this one. It wasn't a bad book, but... well, I had some issues with Wings of Arian nonetheless.

And here we go...

5. little-to-no back story
6. lengthy and unnecessary descriptions

and

7. numerous spelling and grammatical errors

I did a little bit of research into this series before I started reading the
Giselle
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
As fantasy is not my favorite genre I went into this with a bit of wariness. Wings of Arian is very much a fantasy with kingdoms, dragons, prophecies, and magic. While it failed to completely enrapture me, I blame this on personal taste rather than flaws in the book itself. Not saying it's flawless either, but it is a good story with a lot of creativity, so readers who enjoy high fantasy would most likely find themselves much more in-tuned with this one than I did.

Kiora is the Solus. She's the
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Do you know,” he asked, “that you are only the second person to ever ask me what I want?” His eyes searched hers, moving even closer. Her eyes fluttered shut, too scared to breathe. “Yes,” he whispered, brushing his lips against hers, “I want to protect you.”

Wings of Arian, oh how I loved reading you. Can this whole review just be me gushing about it? Please? No?! Okay I guess I can try to write a more helpful review. But just to let you know I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!! Asdf
Macy Roberts
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
God I love this series!!!!!!!! This series is so under hyped and really deserves more people reading it and loving it!!!!! Morcant!!
nick
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it

I'm always looking into good fantasy books and during my search I came across Wings of Arian. It has received multiple positive reviews from Goodreads users and I liked the sound of it, so I decided to try it out myself.

I wasn't very fond of the characters because it was a little hard to connect with them. Kiora wasn't an easy main character to like. She had a tendency to be very annoying and whiny at times. I would have tolerated her character had she undergone some growth throughout the story.
S.M. Blooding
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I admit it. The cover reeled me into this book! I saw that cover and knew I HAD to have it!

Then I started reading it. I kept flipping back to the cover going, "How does this cover match this book?"

In the beginning, I found Kiora to be annoying, whining and a baby. I realize I'm turning into a mean, old woman. Yes. I'm fully aware of this, but geez! I just wanted to shake her and say, "Hey! Girl-child! Grow up just a smidge. You can't help anyone by crying and throwing a fit!"

The cast of characte
Cathy  Keaton
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Plot: Kiora is a young girl born into a completely innocent existence, free of any evil. Neither she nor any of her people have ever encountered evil until Aleric, an adviser to the King of Meros, claims the Prophecy is about to come to pass and evil will be reintroduced into their land. They need a being of magic to protect them called the Solus and the Solus is the unwitting Kiora. She must train in magic—something none of her people ever knew existed before—in order to prepare to fight the ev ...more
Evie
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-ya, fantasy
Published to: Bookish (www.evie-bookish.blogspot.com)

Devri Walls' debut YA fantasy novel is a richly imagined tale of destiny, lies and promises, epic quests, pain, heartbreak and finding your own place in the world. It's a high fantasy novel, and a really good one at that. With an interesting premise and unique approach to the concept of good and evil, it's a novel that really stands out; a memorable and enjoyable addition to the genre.

The world envisioned in this story is beautiful, enthral
Valerie
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-read
Truthfully, I signed up for my first blog tour due to the amazing banner design based off of the cover of the last book in the series, Wings of Lomay, which is actually what this blog tour is promoting. Other than that, I didn't have a specific reason for signing up for Wings of Arian, but luckily, it turned out to be pretty good. It wasn't super special or anything, but I didn't find any reason to hate it!

The beginning of the series starts out with discovering who the Solus is, in other words,
Inna
Review also appears on my blog
This is definitely a great fantasy book. I loved everything about it. Kiora is a great heroine who really struggles with the role she was forced to take on.Emane is an arrogant prince that I really want to meet. So let me actually start the review.
I loved how this book focused on the history and background. We don't just have information showed at us, we discover it as we read. The writing was so detailed and amazing and I really felt like I was in the palaces and
Heather
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First let me say that I have read the rest of this series, and LOVED it. I wanted to start out saying that because sadly, I wasn't crazy about this first book. I found that I had to push myself to finish it. The first two thirds are rough. Kiora's story starts out a few weeks after her journey has begun, and bits of her info are fed throughout the book. This for me made it hard to connect with her, and the rest of the characters. I also had a hard time liking Kiora in this book because she was s ...more
Jagged
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Ah this book brought The Never Ending Story to mind. What with the Rockmen and the flying pink fluffy dog/iguana? I enjoyed the story, as well as the unanticipated nostalgia. The storyline was decent, and I loved Emane's description of love.
What I did not like was that there was no buildup of how Kiora was found to be the Solus or much backdrop between her and Emane. It referenced things that happened in the past between them kind of in a way that implied the reader should already have knowledg
Selena
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I struggled to get started with this book but by the halfway point I found myself intrigued by the story and anxious to continue. Having said that though, I did feel like the character development was a bit hurried in places. I suppose in a way this is a compliment because I liked the characters enough that I wished more time had been spent on the story between the action. Stand out characters in the story for me are Arturo and Drustan. They played key roles in aiding the Solus and her protector ...more
Adrielle
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Free on iBooks
I did like it but compared to other fantasy novels I have read it feels like it's trying too hard. The world building doesn't really exist, you're just thrown ito no man's land to figure it out fir yourself in an attempt to create mystery and Tha didn't quite work for me. However, it does, for the most part, come together in the end.
Lalaine *myficbookreviews*
THe cover ahhhh O_O freaking sexy! the synopsis sounds awesome too. ME. WANT.
Hailey
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yes yes yes! Everyone needs to read this. And i thought that i had heard every name that sounded like/ was similar to Kara, but Kiora proved me wrong. XD
Tamara
May 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
When a book is free, it doesn't always turn out good :/

Too long, too boring, and just not enjoyable.
Angela
Aug 17, 2013 marked it as tbr-later  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, kindle, ya, paranormal
16 July 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Alyssa Indira
**No spoilers were harmed in the making of this review**

"You will be a force to be reckoned with, my Solus"

Okay guys, so I reread Wings of Arian (Solus, #1) by Devri Walls. Gods, I forgot how good it was. How consuming it was,, raw, powerful, gods...The storyline by itself is really good, and the writing as well, if only just slightly heavy on some descriptions but they are necessary to establish a situation or environment. But, as always, it is the characters that are the heart and soul of this
Nicole
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Wings of Arian was not totally what I expected it to be. What drew me in was the lovely cover, minus the snake of course.

Kiora is the main character and I was a bit confused at the start as to what was going on with things. The story starts in the middle of Kiora's training so I was a bit lost as to what Kiora was doing at the start of the book. I did some growth with Kiora as she learned to embrace the magic in her and her job as The Solus. Having lived her live in a sheltered valley Kiora is n
Sela
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Caitlin  Whetten
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, YA lovers, people looking for good self-published books
I think my more accurate rating would be 3.9 stars.

Positives:

I don't usually like the high fantasy genre, let alone YA fantasy. It doesn't appeal to me, but I liked this book. Devri has an easy-to-read writing style and I found myself flying through this book, so don't be deterred by the length. But I also enjoyed reading it. I constantly had to read one more chapter to see all of the places that Kiora and Emane would go, the creatures they would meet and where their journey would take them.

I lo
Kathryn
There is a lot to learn in this first of the series. It's a little hard to get into the story, there is so much to learn about the world we are about to delve into. Our young heroine, Kiora, who's been lied to pretty much her whole life, somewhat falls into her new and real world of kingdoms, dragons & prophecies. This books is either a love it or hate it, depending upon your taste in fantasy. It took me a little longer to read it than expected, but I expect that's because of the world building, ...more
Paula
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Only two things I would have preferred if it was mostly in kiora's first person pov and if I could feel sexual tension between her and the Prince although their love was very romantic. I loved the conversations between them how they opened up to each other it was beautiful :) onto the next...
A.L. DeLeon
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Wings of Arian is a decent YA novel. There were sections that I felt could have been written more concisely, but for the most part, it was an enjoyable read. I am left with some lingering questions about the characters and the story development, which makes me interested in reading the second book in the series sometime in the future to see where the story goes from here.
Jackie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF - quit by 5%
Wow this book lost my attention quickly! I couldn’t get into the fantasy background that just seemed way to childish for me. There was no hook to the first 5%, so it may get better for others who are more determined, but with out something catching my interest, the middle makes no difference to me. Does have a fab cover, the reason for me even giving it a try.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Solus series 1 1 Dec 18, 2015 12:59PM

• Frostbite (The Dragonian, #3)
  • Thunderlight (The Dragonian, #2)
  • Firebolt (The Dragonian, #1)
  • Starlight (The Dragonian #5)
  • Moonbreeze (The Dragonian, #4)
  • Relentless (Relentless, #1)
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
  • Soul (Trinity Trilogy, #3)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy #1)
  • Fire in His Blood (Fireblood Dragon, #1)
  • The Summer Palace (Captive Prince Short Stories, #2)
  • Going Down in Flames (Going Down in Flames, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser #1)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Shadow and Stone (The Frey Saga #5)
  • Bridges Burned (Going Down in Flames, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
Devri Walls lives in Kuna Idaho with her husband and two kids. She has worked as a music teacher and currently, a preschool teacher. She majored in theater and her love of a story still drives her today. Thankfully, she has finally found an outlet for all the voices in her head.

Solus (4 books)
  • Wings of Tavea (Solus, #2)
  • Wings of Nestor (Solus, #3)
  • Wings of Lomay (Solus, #4)

News & Interviews

“I am not a child, and I know plenty of love. Love is wanting to be with that person for the rest of your life no matter of the consequences. Love is being willing to sacrifice your life for somebody else.” He met his father’s eyes, “Love is seeing the good in somebody regardless of their title or station in life. Love is so painful and yet so wonderful that it is worth it!” Emane pushed himself back up again from the table speaking deliberately. “Love is understanding that someday you might lose the person that you love, but that every day you get to spend with them is worth the risk. Love is taking the good with the bad.” His voice rose with each sentiment. “Love is trust. Love is wanting to understand even when you don’t.” Staring at his father, Emane added, “I know of love, Father, and I did not learn it from Ciera.” 10 likes
“That’s alright, I bite.” 9 likes