Start by marking “Illegal (Hayling Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Illegal (Hayling Cycle, #2)

Illegal

(Hayling Cycle #2)

'Illegal' is the story of a teenage girl, driven to take desperate measures when all other choices are taken away from her. It is a touching, surprising and painfully honest story.
Published March 20th 2012 by Meadowside Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Illegal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illegal

TheBookAddictedGirl
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Contemp Lovers Who Love Gritty Fiction And Amazing Characters!
Ever since baby Jemma died, Lindy's family has fallen apart. Her brothers are in prison and her parents spend all their money on alcohol and gambling.
So when she's offered a job by her cousin, she takes it, desperate to escape. But she's soon in way too deep: her cousin is a drug dealer, and she's caught in the middle. With no way out, she's trapped, caught in a downward spiral…
Until she finds an unexpected ally in the new boy: strange, mute Karl. With his help, can Lindy escape the web she is
Sue Hyams
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in Miriam's Hayling Island cycle and it's every bit as powerful as the first. Fast paced, exciting, and so tense that you almost can't bear to read on, yet you have to. Lindy, the protagonist, is a brilliantly drawn character - both complex and naive - and it's a joy to see how she grows. Highly recommended!
Savita Kalhan
A great teen read that explores family relationships, identity and mutism. You'll be rooting for Lindy throughout!
hawwa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ever since baby Jemma died, Lindy’s whole world has fallen apart. Her two older brothers are ‘’away’’ in a Young Offenders’’ Institution, her dad gambles his life away; her mum has lost her job and wanders round the house doing nothing and her younger brother Sean who is only nine years old, relies on her for everything. Even Lindy herself isn’t ‘’normal’’. She is the loner and freak of the school. Bullied and taunted she has taken it upon herself to grow a spear nail for protection and, in secr ...more
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ever since Jemma died Lindy's family has been falling apart - her mum has lost her job and started drinking, her dad spends his time gambling away the little money they have and her older brothers are both in the young offenders institute. Lindy is trying to hold things together for her younger brother Sean but quickly finds herself in deep trouble. Offered a job by her cousin she sees it as a lifeline but soon ends up caught in an international drugs ring completely unable to see a way out. Som ...more
Serendipity Reviews
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a cycle of three novels set in Hayling Island. I have a bit of a soft spot for this series as Hayling Island isn't that far from where I live, so I find I can totally related to the setting of the books. It feels like I am reading about a neighbouring village. The author clearly shows there is more to a UK coastal village than fairground rides and an ice cream hut. Real life occurs there,just like everywhere else, when the tourists go home, people still have to live th ...more
Emma
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guest-reviews
Guest Review by Beth

Illegal is the second in Miriam Halahmy’s series of books based on Hayling Island and after reviewing Hidden back in October I was really keen to get my teeth into Illegal. It did not disappoint.

Illegal deals with some seriously adult issues, which at times had me wondering if it was indeed a YA book but it deals with them in a mature but readable way which I think is part of its charm and well, genius.
Throughout Illegal our protagonist is Lindy, who featured in the first nov
Tom Harris
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lindy Bellows is fifteen and has a car-wreck of a family. Her two older brothers are at a Young Offenders Institution and since her baby sister, Jemma, died of meningitis five months ago her parents have been no use to anyone. Lindy is plagued by guilt, blaming herself for Jemma's tragic death as she tries to take care of her younger brother, Sean, and hold her dysfunctional family together.

Constantly teased at school by posh girl Jess who calls her 'Benefits Bellows,' Lindy is in turmoil and a
D.J.
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this YA novel. It tackles difficult topics in an effective way, and it made me laugh and feel like crying at times. I wanted to wave a magic wand and make everything better for some of the characters.
Jocelyn Thomas
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really like how much drama is in this book. i was never bored and found it very hard to put down.
Beth
Feb 27, 2019
Ash
Sep 03, 2014
Morium
rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2016
Allyseria
rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2017
Miriam Halahmy
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lara Levitan
Lila Baroumandi
Apr 24, 2016
WEbook
Mar 20, 2015
I have been writing since childhood and started with poems, stories and diaries. I taught myself to play the guitar and wrote songs. I have published short and long fiction for children, teens and adults and three poetry collections.

My cycle of three Young Adult novels, HIDDEN, ILLEGAL and STUFFED are published by Albury Books and are available in both paperback and ebook. HIDDEN was nominated fo

Hayling Cycle (3 books)
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • Stuffed (Hayling Cycle, #3)