Start by marking “How to Fix Your Novel” as Want to Read:
How to Fix Your Novel

How to Fix Your Novel

Have you started a novel, only to get part way into the manuscript and find yourself stuck? Or do you have an idea for a novel, but aren't sure where to begin? Have you completed a first draft, but feel it doesn't quite have the luster of professional writing?

In this lively and fun-to-read guide, Steve Alcorn shows you the remedies you need to achieve success. Step by ste
Published March 4th 2012 (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Fix Your Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Fix Your Novel

Leticia
This was my first audiobook and I found it great, with plenty of good tips to improve your writing.
Rebecca Porter
Nov 04, 2013 Rebecca Porter rated it it was amazing
First a disclaimer. I have taken two courses with Steve Alcorn, and therefore already subscribe to his theories, but as I get going on my next novel, I wanted to reread this book to make sure I have hit all the sweetspots.

And that is exactly what this book does. Step by step, thought process by thought process, How to fix your novel will take you by the hand and guide your imagination. If you're anything like me, you have too many ideas. How am I ever going to wrestle this thing into a book. Al
Matt
Sep 10, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
The best self-help novel-writing book I've ever read, in fact, the best novel-writing aid of any format I've ever seen. The author writes in a very fun, lively way, keeping it from feeling like a boring self-help book and making it feel more like you're in an interesting conversation with him, where he's answering every question you've ever had about writing. The book doesn't read like a novel, which means you can flip to any section or lesson you need to. The lessons you will learn (And that I' ...more
Jon Ureña
Three and a half. You must always pick and choose what works for you in a book on writing, but this one gives some advice I consider damaging:

1) it says that the protagonist must have a revelation right at the end of the second act, and that the third act could even be reduced in some cases to a sentence as a consequence. This doesn't happen for most stories I've read and goes against my common sense, which suggests the revelation should optimally go as close to the climax of the third act as p
Deborah
Dec 21, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Steve Alcorn's book, How to Fix Your Novel, is one of the best books I've read to help me understand the writing process.

I'm also in the middle of his Udemy course about writing Young Adult fiction - which is how I discovered this book - and one of the highlights (among many) is the examples of great fiction he included, and why they work so well. I now have a list of books to read, and a list to re-read.

His love of stories comes through so strongly. And - if you listen to the audio version -
Kelli Callahan
Jun 21, 2013 Kelli Callahan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: writing-craft, 2013
The title of this book (How to Fix Your Novel) suggests that it is a book to be used during the editing of a novel, and it is, but I really wish that I had found this book BEFORE I started writing. The book is stuffed full of great information and writing how-to tips, as well as things to avoid. The author presents the information in a very relatable, down-to-earth way that is easy to digest. He utilizes the perfect mixture of instruction and exercise.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who w
Kelly Hull
Jun 13, 2013 Kelly Hull rated it it was amazing
I've taken five writing courses with the author and I wish I had the book before I started the classes. I didn't order the book until after I completed the courses and I refer back to it almost on a daily basis. A lot of people think that it's too hard to write a novel, but Steve Alcorn really breaks it down into easy to understand chapters and sections. I've learned more from Alcorn through the courses and the book than I probably learned my entire four years of high school.There is nothing I d ...more
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

I absolutely loved this book. Will re-read it, for an audible listen is not the best way for me to pay attention to the details.
Farnoosh Brock
Mar 30, 2015 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-of-writing
Fantastic resource for novel writers and those of us fascinated by the process!

A FANTASTIC, clear, enjoyable, informational, educational and thoroughly respectable approach to fixing your novel. I am grateful and indebted to Steve Alcorn, even if much to his (and my) dismay, I have yet to write my novel. I am simply one who is in love with novels and mesmerized by the stories authors can weave, and fascinated by the process. I enjoyed this book so very much.

I came across Alcorn through the recom
Juan
Aug 29, 2013 Juan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No entiendo cómo un TOC como yo no había caído nunca en que el proceso de creación de una novela podía estructurarse en bloques y pasos que van conformando tu gloriosa obra final con el fin de que te forres cuando hagan la peli, pero ha venido este señor con el libro bajo el brazo y he aprendido que, si quiero, puedo. Es todo muy intuitivo tal y como lo explica, y me permite organizarlo todo en un esquema que yo vaya desarrollando para evitar mi ansiedad; lo único que me impedirá empezar esta no ...more
Becky
Jan 15, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
I realized that my online class with this writer starts in a couple of days so I had better hurry up and finish reading his book on writing. I started the audiobook back in January but realized I was missing too much and switched to the e-book to finish up. There is a lot of great advice in this book and it's presented with real-world examples, which I appreciated. It's kind of nice to see the mistakes well-respected and/or best-selling authors have made. Now I'm really looking forward to my cla ...more
Victoria
Jan 13, 2014 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh this is one of THE best how to books on writing I’ve read so far. I've learned so much and was able to apply about seventy-five percent of these techniques to my own writing. I'll reread it again so this book is embedded into my head. Sooo impressed! What a fantastic job Alcorn did at explaining clearly without using fancy words or terms. It’s simple and yet effective writing and a writer of any level can gain so much from this book. Highly recommend!!
Ella Smyth
Mar 16, 2015 Ella Smyth rated it it was amazing
It's taking me a long time to read this book, not because it's unreadable but because I am putting each point into action as I go along. Steve has managed to break down the act of plotting and writing a novel into logical, easy to follow steps. I'm finding it hard to grasp the concept of scene and sequel, but I think that's more my shortcoming then Steve's.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anybody thinking about writing a novel. Preferably before you even begin to plot!
Kelly Burch
Jun 02, 2016 Kelly Burch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Covers the bases in a concise way. It also simplifies the structure a bit in a way that I can definitely see myself using. I'm now interested in Steve's other classes. I bought this on audio and am partway through the second listen. I may buy the paperback as well for my writer bookshelf. Highly recommend.
Keith McCormick
Feb 17, 2015 Keith McCormick rated it it was amazing
Ignore the horrendous title which does not do the book justice. By far, one of the most helpful books on writing novels I've ever read. Densely packed with useful, actionable advice. As others have noted, most valuable while planning your novel.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helped me get my beginning ish straight.
Author Corinne Kunz
Author Corinne Kunz rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jaro
Jaro rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Victoria Ichizli-Bartels
Victoria Ichizli-Bartels rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Karl Anderson
Karl Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
KBB
KBB rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Jaslyn
Jaslyn rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2017
Andrea Eljay
Andrea Eljay rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Michael C McAtee
Michael C McAtee rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Carl Raines
Carl Raines rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Einar Nielsen
Einar Nielsen rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Denise L. Cox
Denise L. Cox rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Steve Alcorn is the author of a wide range of fiction and nonfiction works. His novels include the mystery A Matter of Justice, the historical novel Everything In Its Path, and the romance Ring of Diamonds (under the pseudonym Sharon Stevens). His best-selling history of the Imagineers who built Epcot, Building a Better Mouse, was co-written with author David Green.

During the past decade Steve ha
More about Steve Alcorn...