Start by marking “The Promise (The Lady Quill Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Promise (The Lady Quill Chronicles, #1)

The Promise

(The Lady Quill Chronicles #1)

Orphaned as a child, Adele of Berron found herself betrothed to a stranger and hidden from the outside world until the day of her marriage. Forced to leave her home and those who have cared for her since infancy, Adele is thrust into the adventure of her life.
Rafe of Valrek, her companion through the dangerous web of intrigue she faces, has been promised to Adele since th
Published March 2nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I decided to read this one again to get ready for the second book which just came out, The Vow. I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

I quickly got swept into the story and had a hard time putting it down. I love the medieval setting and the plot and characters were really likable. Holy cow, there were a lot of very likable men in this one. I loved our hero Rafe, he was such a great leader. He is tough, smart, loyal and honorable. I really loved that about him, he was so honorable. He
Nicole Peterson
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Synopsis

Dear Reader,
I wish to tell you a tale that began with a promise destined to change the lives of many.
When only a child, Lady Adele of Berron lost her family during a dreadful battle and was betrothed to a stranger.
Lord Rafe of Valrek, only a boy himself when the battle of Calis raged, grew to be a feared warrior and trusted advisor to his King. But sadness filled his past and Adele served only to remind him of all he had lost.
However the promise that bound these two together caused great
Cindy
This was definitely my kind of story, chivalrous men, impending war, romance, and strategies aplenty. The writing was rich and flowed smoothly didn't want to put it down. I loved the friendships of Lord Rafe, Finan, Leofric and Rand, their unwavering loyalty to each other was amazing. Each character was nicely fleshed out as well, you came to admire, hate, love, them all.
This story is about Lord Rafe of Valrek and his betrothed Lady Adele of Berron and much, much more.War had left Adele at the a
Molly Ferguson Futrell
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4 1/2 Sparks

My Review:

Ah yes. This book was splendid indeed. The author: D.D. Chant is a remarkable writer, opening up with a Prologue of the character, Lady Quill writing a letter to the reader. I rarely see books that starts with that. Well done.
I do not really read Historical Fiction, but the author shows hard work and a lot of quality on making this an intriguing read. I spent most of my time reading this about seven times in the past few days, because the author herself made it s
D.D. Chant
Mar 08, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece!!!

Okay, okay....so it's mine again, but can you blame a girl for trying???

The Promise is the first book in The Lady Quill series which tells the story of 5 foster brothers and how a single battle changes the course of their lives.

Pretty please give it a try???

I'll give you a brownie!!! :-D
Lia
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I really loved this book! Looking forward to reading the vow!
Melania Ramona
3.5 stars Nice characters and story, but I wanted something more... exciting and lively
Sara Cardon
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, medieval
I really enjoyed this medieval story. It starts with Rafe going to bring his bethrothed to his home for safety. He's never met Adele, and wonders if he'll like her or if she'll like him, and with dangers mounting anyway, decides on an imperfect plan to go, but not as himself. He's more a man of action than words and starts to feel like he's messing things up. However, his question on if they'll simply like one another as themselves - without titles or feeling obligated to - gets answered. And it ...more
Jill Swanson-Diaz
I have an interview with the author and my full review up on my blog!
http://littlehyuts.blogspot.com Please stop by to check it out!
This is truly a wonderful tale!

This was a fantastic read! I don't usually read historical fiction, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Promise. Dee Dee did a fantastic job of creating an intriguing story, reminiscent of King Arthur's era.
The author has a well crafted writing style and her passion for historical times and writing clearly shows in every chapter. She has tak
Danielle
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
First off, I would like to thank the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book for free. I was so excited going into the book, and was even more ecstatic when I actually began it.

This book was remarkable. D.D. Chant is a very talented writer; the Prologue of the novel drew me in instantly. I liked how it was a letter written by Lady Quill addressed to us, the readers; it was definitely a unique start.

I LOVED the historical aspect. I had been getting into Historical Fiction lately s
Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review also posted at my blog: http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydream...

A copy of this book was provided by the author for review purposes.

I've had very few experiences with Indies before The Promise,and they were not that pleasant either.I found myself struggling to continue with those books.Which is why I had my doubts when I got an email from the author asking me to review her book.But the blurb seemed promising,so I went ahead with it.I already had a lot of review copies piled up so I had bee
Judy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Promise by D.D. Chant
The Lady Quill Chronicles Book 1
The battle of Calis took all of Lady Adele's family in death. Lord Brogan of Valrek desired to keep her safe. So it was that at two years old she was betrothed to his ten year old son, Rafe. She was hidden away to keep her safe and in her eighteenth year Rafe would come and take her to his home. Adele was happy in her life at the fort and with the women there while she waited for the years to pass unto Rafe came for her.

Rafe wanted to see
Deborah
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5
Again this is one of those books that I wish we could give half stars to. So here is how I will split it. I give the first half of the book 4 stars and the last half 5 stars.

I really was sucked into the story and I loved the characters. I felt like the first half of the book dragged a bit. It also just got to wordy at times. We would go pages with no one speaking. I felt like some of that could of been cut out and would of been even more enjoyable. I do however understand that when you are b
M.
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like historical fiction, so I was excited to read The Promise by D.D Chant. It turned out to be a really good read :)

The Promise follows the story of two people, Adele and Rafe, who were betrothed to each other at a young age. Adele had been kept hidden away her whole life and when she turns eighteen, Rafe comes to get her. He fails to mention that he’s her fiancé and, instead lets her think that he's Finan, one of his good friends.

I loved the way the story was told and the characters w
MaryBliss
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think the author had a fun time writing this. It just isn't my cup of tea. I don't like manufacturing drama by having protagonists hide truth from each other, especially when they do it for long, long periods of time when they have plenty of opportunity to speak it safely. And the swordplay prowess was a bit beyond believable. But if you don't mind those, you might like it.
Lectus
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for historical fiction. I was in love with Rafe since I started reading what he planned to do to meet his bride. I liked the confusion of the romance and I especially liked that it didn’t linger until the very end.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This story is so captivating!! I read it on Wattpad, but loved it so much I downloaded it through Amazon. Very easy to read and follow, but certainly not boring. A nice mix of action/adventure, mystery and (clean) romance. Looking forward to Book #2...
Noelia
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 ☆ casi 4 ☆
Chrissy
This was a cute story. I liked the first half but loved the second half. I am excited for the next one.
Connie Huddleston
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story line and great characters. I truly enjoyed reading this book. A couple of what one might call errors disrupted my enjoyment such as the characters being thrown to the "floor" when they were outside. This error occurred more than once.
Patricia
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are so likable (or despicable, depending on whether they are good or bad). The story is interesting. Initially, I felt it was geared more for a middle school level or young adult level. However, the last half of the book improved. So I am looking forward to book 2 in the series.
Virginia Tican
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine Medieval Romance~Adventure. This is a clean love story but no less lacking in action, intrigues, betrayals also friendships lost then found, new alliances plus humor. All in all. a really Good read.
Joyce Neigebauer
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unhappy

It took to long to get to the heart of this story. I keep having to go back a chapter or two to get where ever one joined in to the plot of the story
Sharon
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A strong story with well drawn characters, action, intrigue, betrayal and, of course, love. Now for books 2 and 3, which I have added to my list.
Valerie Zhang
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
One thing you should know about me is that I usually don’t do historical romance. Sure, historical action (which does not exist) is fine, but a whole book centered on romance is a little overboard for me. Yup, I have no patience reading a whole book about a girl and a guy falling in love in Saxon England. It just gets a bit boring! However, with The Promise, I was kind of proved wrong….
4 out of 5 stars

Basically, The Promise is the love story between Rafe and Adele. Of course, it’s not just a lov
Lisa
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This is an adventure that started when our hero and heroine were but children. They are promised to each other after the death of her family, to wed when she is of age.
Lord Rafe is responsible for his clan and is an advisor to the King. He has been betrothed to Lady Adele since he was 12 years old and is ambivalent about the whole thing. He is intelligent, strong, loyal, kind and takes in strays. He has been sending her gifts for years and has lead her to believe they have been from his father.
Tywyll
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arr
The Promise is a sweet romance, with bits of action and quipping wit. The characters were likeable. Each had their own voice and reason for acting the way they did. They were human, with strengths and weaknesses. I enjoyed how they spoke so properly, as befitting their station and the setting. I liked how the romance progressed between Rafe and Adele, from appraising observations to feeling something deeper stir within. It was a bit jarring to be in both of their heads at any given moment, with ...more
Ruth B
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
What if you had to marry someone you have never seen before? This situation wasn’t unusual when Lady Adele and Lord Rafe of Valrek lived. A time in which engagements were arranged before the kids were grown-ups. A time when honor, trust, alliances and friendship were all that matter.

This book presents us a great romantic historical story with a lot of action, romance, treason and great characters.

Lady Adele has lived secluded all her life in The Fort waiting for the moment she was old enough to
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to D. D. Chant.)
Lord Rafe Valrek has been engaged to Lady Adele since he was a child. He has never met her, but has always viewed the engagement as a good thing as it meant that he wasn’t forced to socialise with other ladies, which he had no interest in.

Rafe decides that he would like to know what Adele is like before he marries her though. Sending his most trusted guard – Finan to visit Lord Merrondon, p
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Heart's Warrior (Medieval Romance Trilogy #1)
  • A Perfect Secret (Rogue Hearts #3)
  • The Pirate's Desire
  • Illuminations of the Heart (Poitevin Hearts, #2)
  • Out of the Ashes
  • The Bewitching of Amoretta Ipswich (Three Little Girls Dressed in Blue)
  • She Owns the Knight
  • Playing For Keeps
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • Bonds of Loyalty
  • Sunny Days for Sam
  • The Wagered Bride (Clearbrook Regency, #2)
  • Letters to My Future Husband
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
Hi everyone!

My name is Dee Dee, I'm twenty seven and I live in a beautiful part of Devon, England, with my family.

That introduction made me feel a little bit like I was on Blind Date!!!

As our house is in the countryside we have some unusual neighbours including chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, a cat (that adopted us when we moved in!!!) and some koi. I also have a very long suffering younger

The Lady Quill Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Vow (The Lady Quill Chronicles, #2)
  • The Assurance (The Lady Quill Chronicles, #3)