Start by marking “The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media” as Want to Read:
The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media

The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The vast array of social media options present a challenge to today’s busy librarians: it’s tough to keep current, let alone formulate a plan for using these tools effectively. Solomon, a librarian with extensive experience in web development, design, and technology, cuts to the chase with this invaluable guide to using social media in any kind of library. With a straightf ...more
Published 2012 by ALA Editions

Be the first to ask a question about The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media

Allie
This was published 3 years ago and it's already so outdated. Conceptually the information is sound, but it's all kind of common sense for library staff under 30. It's also information I figured out on my own when I was thrown into the world of library social media. This book was available then, but I don't think I would have needed it.
September Michaud
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Good resource for introducing library staff to social media. What I liked most is that rather than just showing an array of introductions to the various social media channels, this book takes into account the changing nature of website popularity, and focuses on creating quality posts and conversations despite what social website you choose to use.

There are helpful examples showing what makes a good post and what makes a bad post, and there is a lot of information about how to initiate and resp
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
All too frequently, social media guides intended for libraries are little more than extremely basic technical how-tos ("There is such a thing as Facebook. It has a News Feed! Here's how you click the button to post to that wacky News Feed.").

Solomon's book assumes you've probably at least seen a computer once in the last decade and focuses instead on the concepts that make social media marketing successful, exploring ways to build social capital and manage your online reputation. Even better, s
Hava
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book for our library and read through it in just a couple of days. I was surprised by how well written this book was! It's not an everyday occurrence to have a how-to book be so interesting that I don't want to put it down. I knew that our social media strategy for our library wasn't where it ought to be (hence me ordering the book) but I had no idea that it was completely and totally wrong. It's like the author had been spying on our Facebook account over the past six months and ...more
Mariamosh
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bra om än lite daterad guide (hon nämner flera gånger MySpace) till hur bibliotek(arier) kan arbeta med att connecta med sina låntagare på sociala medier. Tyngdpunkt/poäng på att bygga relationer med folk och inte bara för att öka bibliotekens marknadsföring. Många fina exempel, bra guide helt enkelt!
Angie Shere
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
This book would probably get a higher rating from me in 2013. So my rating is partially based on the fact that this book already is outdated. At the the time it was written, teens were still into Facebook, not twitter. (this is pretty much reversed now) Surprisingly enough, this book talks about MySpace (does anyone use that anymore?) and predicts (incorrectly) that Twitter is not going to be a way to connect to teens. But the section on Facebook was great. Lots of useful tips on how the library ...more
Robin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Key points:

Use social media to interact with patrons, not as another one-way (outgoing only) means of communication.

Figure out what you hope to accomplish by using these tools (connect patrons with resources previously unused; more patrons at programs, etc.)

Be gracious, responsive, engaging. Ask questions. Start conversations.

Google alerts is cool. I am surprised I didn't know about it before. http://www.google.com/alerts

Lots of good stuff in here for the absolute beginner on the topic of effect
Meredith
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-world
Full of great information regarding organizing and running a social media strategy for a library. I would recommend it to any library!

After finishing the book, I've been very motivated to revamp our social media plan. This book gave me the tools and theory to evaluate, reorganize, and recreate our efforts. Gives a great example of how to set up your own social media schedule.

I think this book would also be helpful to those needing some tips for social media marketing because the advice given is
Christa
A must-have guide book for librarian's using social media. A more comprehensive version of the 2011 book Doing Social Media So it Matters by the same author. Solomon uses similar subject matter (almost identical) from this book, but with more detailed information. Excellent guide to help libraries get started with a social media plan, creatively socialize with their fans and use social media as an effective social networking tool in the community.
Cynthia
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great no-nonsense discussion and guide for using social media in the library setting. Mostly geared toward the public library, but certainly there are things that are applicable to the school library as well.

My copy is scribbled on and highlighted and will be a valuable resource in a new district where I hope to bring the power of social media.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, library
Excellent resource for libraries just getting started with social media, or find themselves struggling. I had hoped this book would prove useful for my research, but alas - not. However, it was a fun and more importantly, useful read. I would recommend it to my own library.
Annie Allen
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
To the point with examples of what not to do and what to do. This book has a heavy focus on the use of Facebook. If you are not looking to use Facebook to promote programming skip around and read the tips for social media in general.
Rachel
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-science
This book is fantastic. I found so much useful information that has really aided me in launching a Facebook page for the library I work at. From starting, to maintaining, to training others in the use, it's a great resource that should be tapped by librarians at any type of library.
Brandi Young
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book to help librarians and libraries develop and maintain their various social media outlets. Lots of practical advice.
Ivan
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The best book I've read on the subject.
Amy
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: libraries
Basically just an update to Doing Social Media So It Matters. If you read that, don't bother with this.
Tammy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good coverage. It's a hard topic to cover as things keep changing. ...
Vicki
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Thorough coverage of subject with lots of good ideas, though I didn't agree with all.
Heather Crozier
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A more thorough version of Doing Social Media So It Matters- both helpful, but both probably aren't necessary reads. The chapter on Social Media in the Long Term was particularly helpful.
Sarena
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Nextgen Librarian's Survival Guide
  • The Black Belt Librarian: Real-World Safety & Security
  • Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian
  • Check These Out: One Librarian's Catalog of the 200 Coolest, Best, and Most Important Books You'll Ever Read
  • BiblioTech: Why Libraries Matter More Than Ever in the Age of Google
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • The Public Library: A Photographic Essay
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • Part of Our Lives: A People's History of the American Public Library
  • Expect More: Demanding Better Libraries For Today's Complex World
  • Digital Leadership: Changing Paradigms for Changing Times
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • Libraries in the Ancient World
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
There are other authors with this name. See also Laura Solomon and Laura Solomon.

CURRENT POSITION Library Services Manager
DEGREE MLS, Kent State University, 1998
PRIMARY HOBBY Competitive Irish stepdance

Laura Solomon is library services manager for the Ohio Public Information Network and former web applications supervisor for the Cleveland Public Library. She has been doing web development and desi
More about Laura Solomon...