Start by marking “Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think” as Want to Read:
Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think

Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think

Good Thinking picks up where Thinking Fast and Slow (Kahneman, 2011) left off by showing how slow deliberation and fast intuitions underlie some of the greatest insights that changed the world.

Seven Powerful Ideas That Changed the World
1. Thinking can be automated so machines can do it, and insight is just subconscious thought.
2. You understand something best when you re
Published May 2012 by Cambridge University Press (first published April 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Good Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Thinking

Start your review of Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think
Said AlMaskery
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
While reading the book I kept wondering; where are we heading?

The book was interesting, mind activating, and useful in understanding certain biases and how the mind works. It was full of scientific concepts related to how we make choice or think, morals and logic, causality and hypothesis testing, and problem solving and analogical reasoning.

But again, the question that was persistent was; where is the conclusion? Why as a reader I am bombarded with all this information? I finally found the ans
Eustacia Tan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How do we think? Or to ask a slightly different question, how do we know? If you take the IB/TOK jokes literally, the answer will be "we don't". But apart from deconstructing the various ways of thinking, I'm still not quite sure how our minds work. So tada! Good Thinking to the rescue. It's suppose to integrate the various types of thinking taught across the different disciplines - rational choice, game theory, morality, logic, causality and hypothesis testing.

Looking at the bibliography at the
Rose
"Good Thinking" is, in and of itself, a puzzle logic book. It's not quite what I was expecting coming into it, considering I thought it would be more theory based and cover the topics within with a little more grounding, but it's more of an exploration into different aspects of thought, and then matching theory with some measures of analytic puzzles that occur in real world situations.

The book breaks down the dimensions of thinking in several categories: Rational Choice, Game Theory, Moral Judg
Birkan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clare
Jul 22, 2012 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
The results of extensive statistical study of the internal and external scientific factors that influence our choices. More technical and academic than a self-help guide, its perspective on human freedom and decision making would be best reviewed by someone who has studied behavioural psychology as well as moral philosophy, because the author includes detailed explanations of different philosophical approaches.
Umberto
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall very good and interesting. Gets bogged down in the little details sometimes but for the most part is very well written and enticing. Confirmed that all the math i have taken for my college major was not a complete waste. It gets bogged down in science and reads like a research journal some times but for the most part is quite good and will help most people improve their thinking.
Nick
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I found this book to be average in every way. There was a few interesting paragraphs i did enjoy, but most of the information is nothing new.

In the second to last chapter there was a number of some fun brain puzzles but with no answers? What's the point?

I would recommend this book to someone who has never read a book on logic or psychology.
GONZA
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book about logical reasoning and it has left me with a good feeling and the sensation that something in my way of thinking had changed.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS FOR THE PREVIEW
Greatreads
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really great book that offers an engaging and accessible introduction to how we think. A must have for anyone looking to gain a foothold for themselves in this topic.
Tristan Gongsun
The introduction of this book sounds exciting. It's well-written but less in-depth than I expected, still a nice little prelude to the budding cognitive neuroscience. ...more
ANDREY BARANOV
Dec 02, 2014
Renee Liu
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
worth of multiple reading.
Erik
Xiaochunwen
Jul 14, 2018

• 56 Days
  • Blonde
  • The Girl in the Ice (Detective Erika Foster, #1)
  • Girl in Ice
  • Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #8)
  • Bath Haus
  • Psycho by the Sea (Constable Twitten #4)
  • The Paris Library
  • The Idiot
  • The Midwife Murders
  • The Mothers
  • Runner (Cass Raines, #4)
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Northern Spy
  • The Woman of Rome
  • Run Rose Run
  • Rock, Paper, Scissors, and Other Stories
  • Autobiography of Red
Picture

Dr. Denise Dellarosa Cummins is research psychologist and author. She has held faculty and research positions at Yale University, the University of California, the University of Illinois, and the Center for Adaptive Behavior at the Max Planck Institute in Berlin. Her research interest is how people think and decide. She is a respected cognitive scientist who has authored numerous scientific

News & Interviews