Start by marking “The Mothers of Country Day” as Want to Read:
The Mothers of Country Day

The Mothers of Country Day

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  303 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Standardized test fraud, secrets, and scandal at a posh suburban private school...

When Josie Messina’s math wizard 12-year-old son earns a scholarship to one of New Jersey’s toniest private schools, Josie feels blessed but intimidated. Will a hardworking, cash-strapped single mom fit in with the wealthy, fashionable mothers of Little Fawn Country Day?

But when Josie runs i
Published February 23rd 2012 by Create Space

To ask other readers questions about The Mothers of Country Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mothers of Country Day

Shayla Drumm
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway on Goodreads and was very excited to begin reading. The characters were believable, colorful, and entertaining. This was a quick, fun read ideal for summer days or a relaxing weekend. Eduacation is a universal subject that we all can relate to in some form or another and the plot is just outrageous enough to be believable!! I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a good laugh! I passed this book along to my mom so she can enjoy it as well.
Jackie
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a great look into the crazy cut-throat world of East Coast private schools full of parents, kids, and administrators who will do anything to get ahead. Matthews does a wonderful job of providing different points of views and struggles for all her characters and breaks up each chapter nicely with fun add-ins like e-mail or journal correspondence of the characters. It's a great way of moving along the plot that makes the book just fly by!
K Lauer
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just ok,.enjoyable as a resident of Rumson, the au
thor references our area
Beth
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Received as a Goodreads.com gift. As a person who grew up in New Jersey, went to a boarding prep school, worked in Greenwich Ct, and has served on the board of a Catholic School which goes up to 8th Grade, and on the board of the 1st Montessori school in the USA, located in Greenwich, I feel every word of the story in my inner being. Other than the sneaky characters (Principal, one teacher and one parent) it portrays the different parents and children one comes across. I liked the replication of ...more
Susan Becraft
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satire and truth

I am almost reluctant to characterize this story as good satire because I unfortunately know many of the characters. Living in the rarified air of prep school mania in Manhattan, where anxious newlyweds enroll yet-to-be-conceived munchkins in elite learning institutions, I was not exactly laughing as I read the book. Yes, satire is an exaggeration of the truth, but parts of this story could be nonfiction.

Arlene Matthews scored high points with me when she compared the New Age-ish
Danielle
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick, fun read. I loved the crazy antics that kept the characters occupied. It just shows that people with too much money and not enough sense will get themselves into all kinds of trouble. I grew up in NJ, but down in south Jersey. My neighborhood was middle class and all surrounding neighborhoods were middle to lower middle class, so even though I went to a private school, fund raisers were more of the car wash/sub sale variety. My dad was a math teacher and my mom taught Engl ...more
Tracy
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Parody of one year at a private school in the northeast, which focuses on single mother Josie and her scholarship son, although there are a few other moms that get some attention including a mom obsessed with getting her so-so daughter into Brown, a rich philanthropist who isn't sure if she should keep her kids at the school and a mom whose husband recently had an affair with the kindergarden teacher. Other characters include the shady head master and his minion, the computer teacher he coaxed i ...more
Lizz
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Hmmm... I seem to be in the minority here. I didn't love this one. Our son went to private school K-12 and while there are people like these, there are a lot more lovely, caring, fabulous people. I realize, however, that a book about the nice, normal people wouldn't be as interesting to read. A dilemma.
Karen Rae
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was delighted that my daughter won this book on Goodreads because it gave me the opportunity to read it too. It especially touched my heart as an educator to read about different situations in a school setting. The author shared both humerous and serious situations. I found the book entertaining, lighthearted, and fun to read.
Malea Grubb
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Silly Read

Nothing really interesting about this book. As a child I attended a "Country Day" school similar to this one, but this author chose cheap tricks to make an interesting, if every-day setting boring and stupid. Definitely don't read!
Nicole
Jan 20, 2015 marked it as abandoned
Too boring! I'm quitting this one.
T
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun and good humored book to read, with a serious take on education matter in private school where those will go to extremes to receive their goals. Good for a summer read.
Lori
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction

Not at all like anything I would normally read, but given to me by a colleague. It was a short, fun satire on independent schools and the parents, faculty, and administrators.
Margo Marks
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Sometimes I just want to fly through a book that's entertaining, fun and light. This book is just that. An easy read with relate-able moments and characters we've all met in real life.
Heather Reese
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A mindless super quick read.
Alyssa
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

Easy read. Somewhat fluffy but not in a horrible way. I would consider it a good beach book but nothing really beyond that here.
Jen Lawrence
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good read! Loved all the webs and turns of this community. Super quick read, great beach read.
Wanda
Shelves: 2016
nope.
Pauline
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick, fun read, especially if you are from the Monmouth County, NJ area where this fictional story is based. Gotta love the "NJ ASS" and "Everyman Math". :-)
Hillary Pettegrew
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • Sweet so Fragile
  • Letters to Mom
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • A Charmed Life (The Charmed Life, #1-3)
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Dremiks
  • A Touch of Honor (The Honor Trilogy #1)
  • Us

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99