Start by marking “The Last Debutante (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Last Debutante (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #4)

The Last Debutante

(The Secrets of Hadley Green #4)

Who is the captive and who is the captor? When a sexy laird holds a spirited English lady for ransom, she turns the tables and steals his heart.

The lush Scottish Highlands are a tempting setting for seduction in New York Times bestselling author Julia London's sparkling new novel.

The last person Daria Babcock expects to find in her grandmother's home is a brawny, naked
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about The Last Debutante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Debutante

Start your review of The Last Debutante (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #4)
[Aengell]
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel!
This was a truly perfect Historical Romance, where I can't find any fault.

Julia London is a real talented author, especially with her Historicals. The Last Debutante is no exception, every HR-lover will be satisfied with it.

The story begins with Jamie Campbell being shot at by the grandmother of the heroine, Daria. Her Grandmother, Mamie, is trying to finish him off while he is bedridden, when Daria arrives to visit with her Grandmother for some time.

A funny and quirky
Mary - Buried Under Romance
What a delightful addition to the Secrets of Hadley Green series!

Daria Bobcock is the last debutante of Hadley Green. Her day begins and ends like most English ladies, with teas and parties, but as she sees all of her friends enjoying their martial lives and babies, she grows restless and thirsts for a meaning to her life, a purpose that will fulfill and define her. Having no wanted martial prospects in the vicinity, and with her parents' refusal to grant her a Season in London, she is eager to
Elis Madison
Jamie Campbell, laird of his clan, goes to confront a crazy old English woman who "stole" a thousand pounds from a crazy old man from his clan. But she meets him at the door with a blunderbuss.

Threats are exchanged, and long story short, she sorta accidentally shoots him.

[image error]

Daria Babcock is the titular last debutante of Hadley Green, in that every other gal she knows is married or a scandalous ho. She's suffering from a bad case of "I'll die a virgin" when a letter arrives from her
WTF Are You Reading?
"The Last Debutante" is the fourth book in the The Secrets of Hadley Green series. Starring Daira Babcock, a spirited albeit sheltered English Rose, who at 21 finds herself still unmarried and without prospect. When her beloved grandmother writes home from Scotland, requesting that someone send her much needed funds; Daria jumps at the chance for adventure.

This is a wonderful book that though part of a series, has a story that has no trouble standing alone. Daria is a leading lady who manages to
Insh
Aug 16, 2017 added it
"Leap, lass.
Youll either fall or fly,
but if you donna leap,
you will waste your time on this earth.
Be brave, Daria. Be courageous.
Patti
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read from author Julia London. It was the picture on the front, the title, the summary, and all the positive reviews. In addition, the twist of my favorite English Regency genre takes place in Scotland, not England. Ive been there twice and could see this setting as being just as fascinating for a story. Not disappointed - it was a fun PG-13 read!

Lovely Daria, embarrassed and unfortunate in her eyes, is the last unspoken for girl in the village of Hadley Green and
Susan
Enjoyable story about a spinster with no prospects who stumbles upon a taciturn Scotsman living in a castle but with no family bonding to speak of. Slowly her generous personality touches all who live there and she brings closeness and love back within its walls.

Into this mix was a little bit of a mystery and family secret, which made for an interesting story.

I enjoyed this for the most part, but I found the heroine a little bit too naive for my taste. Also, the batty grandmother got on my
Pamela
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Loved Laird Jamie, Daria was extremely likable, supporting characters were great...but, the "mystery?" was a bit much as were Daria's parents and grandmama. I would have preferred the ending/epilogue to be more fully flushed out, it seemed to be too neatly tied up for me.
Kelsey Breseman
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
The protagonist had a lot of say-not-show character traits shoved at you in a way that felt like "oh I forgot to tell you she's good at navigating this kind of situation, anyway, that's relevant right now to the plot because..."

It got better but was overall never better than average
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Daria Babcock is tired of being the last debutante left in Hadley Green. All of her friends are not only married, but also having babies and enjoying their deliriously happy lives. When her family receives a plea for help from her Grandmama in Scotland, Daria leaps at the chance to go and visit her beloved Mamie. Finally, she has a chance to get out of Hadley Green and have a little adventure of her own.

Laird Jamie Campbell cannot figure out what the crazy Englishwoman is up to. First, the old
Betty
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful historical romance by Julia London! Daria Babcock, an English lady, is surprised to find a naked man recovering from a gunshot wound in her grandmother's cottage in Scotland. Her grandmother tells her that he found the man in the woods and brought him to her cottage to heal. However, Daria doesn't believe that she is getting the whole story or the truth of it. It is also confusing that her grandmother keeps him drugged and unconscious. When he finally regains consciousness he ...more
Bunnyk
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
It pissed me off. Would like to think author knew what thy were writing about - but at one point they had a character being compared to a MOCKINGBIRD. Well, excuse me for being Miss Picky... but mockingbirds? In Scotland? In the early 19th Century?

And then there's my normal gripe with this genre. Current authors seem to feel they HAVE to have at least one gratuitous sex scene, for preference they make it a pre-marital one, to show that the Heroine is Brave and Doesn't Care for the Conventions of
Amanda
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I might have given this a higher rating if it wasn't a complete rip-off of "Outlander." I understand that there might be similar stories floating around, but all the elements were the same: kidnapped English brown haired heroine gets brought to the laird's home (who has been shot). The names are even the same: Jamie, Hamish, Dougal, etc. The laird wants to marry the "Sassenach" (and calls her such), but cannot turn away from the responsibility of his clan, was meant to be laird, etc., etc. ...more
Ashley Schuster
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Their relationship doesn't seem to take off until the end. I did enjoy the way the book was completed (disregarding the epilogue) more than most, even if it was rushed a bit. Daria and Mamie were irritating. Mamie was OBVIOUSLY hiding something and Daria didn't pursue it enough at the get-go. Daria was whiney and spoiled but she still managed to befriend the unbefriendable with relative ease it seemed. I thought Jamie was smoking and I loved everything he was in. I'd like to read about Jamie's ...more
Tara Choate
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library as a book on tape to fill a gap. It was part of a series (is anything not?) and large elements of the plot depended on that. Still, it didn't do badly as a stand alone. More sweet than sexy, I liked the dignity of the heroine.
Dabney
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphahole-books

this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

Dear Ms. London,

I have read all the books in your The Secrets of Hadley Green series. (OK, I didn't read the Christmas novella.) I seem to enjoy every other one. The first, The Year of Living Scandalously, failed to grab my attention. I liked the second, The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (my review is here) and actively disliked the third, The Seduction of Lady X. This one, The Last Debutante, is a lighter read than the two that
Haley
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Please note that this book likely would have gotten more than three stars if the dreaded reading slump hadn't set in when I was 1/4 of the way from finishing. It sat on my bed side for over three months before I just gave up on the idea of reading it as by then I had lost interest. But what I did read, I absolutely loved. One thing I greatly appreciated was that our main couple did not yet sleep together over 3/4 of the way in, which means a great deal of time was spent on developing plot and ...more
Laurie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first book I've read in the series, and though I suspected some of the characters mentioned might have meant more if I had read the first 3 in the series, it totally worked as a stand alone book. I gave it a 3, though perhaps I felt it was a 3.5, but I rounded down due to a few graphic sex scenes I needed to skim through. I don't need graphic details to enjoy a book, in fact, I prefer innuendo and implied contact. especially in Regency romances...where the rules of female conduct ...more
Sharyn
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The final book of the series which wrapped everything up and solved a mystery had an unexpected heroine in Daria Babcock who was present as a girl in Hadley Green. She goes off to help her grandmother in Scotland and is confronted by a Highland Laird trying to keep is clean together on the face of the clearances and sheep. I did enjoy the Scottish setting (and the Lairds name is Jaimie for all you Outlander fans).
Lacey Huffmaster
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually enjoy Ms. London's novels, but this one left me kind of meh. Pleasant story, but didn't have that certain something that makes me emotionally invested in the characters or their outcome. I'm glad Daria Babcock got her happy ending - sort of, I mean she discovered her parents had been deceiving everyone around them including her for her entire life in the last 5 pages of the book, but whatevs.
There weren't any glaring faults, it just was not anything special in my opinion.
penelopewanders
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I can't say this was my favorite in this series, but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless. I was far from guessing the solution to the mystery and I always appreciate stories which aren't too obvious. As I'm a big fan of Scotland the setting was obviously to my taste, and the characters were fun. An entertaining romp.
Shannon
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable story. Daria was never one to shy away from a challenge and met Jamie toe to toe. There wasn't a large part for the antagonist (which was really a secret rather than the person blamed for it) and it only had one scene at the very end where they were together intimately. However, I still enjoyed it.
Maggie Shanley
Cute audio of a grandmother, a shooting, a Scottish Laird and an English debutante. Also included missing jewels, past scandals and some bastards. Daria Babcock is the proper English debutante until she goes to visit her grandmother in Scotland. Her grandmother is hiding huge secrets and has gone and shot a man....when the man and his family hold Daria for ransom the love story begins.
Rachelle Russell
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Story Line

This was a cute, funny and romantic story. The characters were brought to life with each and every stroke of the authors pen. I would definitely recommend this book to a novice.
patricia barnett
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this type of book

All ways enjoy reading this type of story been reading books like this since I was 20 years old Julia London is great with this story you can picture the characters ,dresses etc i enjoyed
Sierra
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If ever a book should be called a romp, it's this one. It's such good fun. The characters are all quite lively, as is expected from a Julia London novel. If you're vacillating on whether to read this, just do it, and thank me later.
Nicole
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy one day read....
Jacqueline Lam
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Made myself finished it just to chalk up the numbers to the reading challenge!
Rachael
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, funny
Kidnapped and held for ransom, Daria falls for a Laird who has been shot by her Grandma
Dianna
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

I honestly love all of Julia Londons books. I have yet to read one that i dont love. Read this one!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:59PM

• Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings, #1)
  • The Earl in My Bed (Rebellious Desires #2)
  • Pleasured (Secrets of the Loch, #2)
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • The Duke That I Marry (Spinster Heiresses, #3)
  • That Perfect Someone (Malory-Anderson Family, #10)
  • Duke of Scandal (Moonlight Square #1)
  • Minx (The Splendid Trilogy, #3)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • In Scandal They Wed (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #2)
  • A Match Made in Bed (Spinster Heiresses, #2)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • How the Dukes Stole Christmas
  • Silent Melody (Georgian, #2)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular historical romance series, the Cabot Sisters, including The Trouble with Honor, The Devil Takes a Bride, and The Scoundrel and the Debutante. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, including Homecoming Ranch, Return to Homecoming ...more

The Secrets of Hadley Green (4 books)
  • The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
  • The Seduction of Lady X (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #3)