Start by marking “Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #3)

Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ah, those gullible new American millionaires of the late 19th century. After first enriching themselves through railroad development, the shipping trade, or other robber-baron enterprises, many sought to manifest their sophistication by purchasing great European works of art. "I suspect we may be at the very beginning of the biggest buying spree in history," remarks one cu ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Constable & Robinson (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death of an Old Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of an Old Master

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I was wondering where this series would go after the excellent Death and the Jubilee. It didn't disappoint. It seems that in every new book the author introduces something new and he is not lazy with it either.
Every new book starts sort of slow, then it picks up and, more often than not, hits you with a twist or two for good measure. Just in case you were planning to forget about it.

Death of an Old Master takes place two years after the Jubilee. This time there is no threat to the empire unless
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: A leading art critic dies, forgeries abound, much money passes hands, lovers get found and then lost and then found and then... someone else dies. Highly recommended for historical mystery readers who prefer late Victorian/Edwardian stories, as this series is one of the best at showing us a glimpse of a time long past while being very entertaining as well.

#3 Lord Francis Powerscourt, 1898 London, rural Norfolk, Corsica
[historical thriller]

Main Characters: Lord Francis Powerscourt, I
LJ
DEATH OF AN OLD MASTER (Hist. Mys-Lord Francis Powerscourt-England/Corsica-1899) – VG+
Dickinson, David – 3rd in series
Constable, 2004, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 1841196045

First Sentence: The old man walked slowly across the fields.

When art critic Christopher Montague is found garroted, enquiry agent Lord Francis Powerscourt, is asked to investigate. Powerscourt finds that the critic had been having an affair with a married woman. The husband, Mr. Buckley, is the obvious suspect and is arrested.

Power
Kate Millin
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Original or fake, masterpiece or forgery - misadventure or murder?' England 1899, and the Old Masters have come to London in a major exhibition of Venetian paintings. New World money and prices are coming to London too, as American nouveau riches millionaires bid to carry off many of the masterpieces across the Atlantic. The excitement is intense.
Then a leading art critic, Christopher Montague, is found dead in his study. Lord Francis Powerscourt soon discovers that in the weeks before his dea
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
Art forgers, jilted lovers, somehwat gullible American multi-millionaries and priceless masterpieces weave the journey for Lord Powerscourt in Death of an Old Master, the third tale from David Dickinson about his series about an ex-Army Intelligence Officer, Lord Francis Powerscourt.

Lady Lucy, Lord Francis' wife of 7 years, asks hims to investigate the death of one of her many relatives, Christopher Montague. Montague is an up-and-coming art critic and author who was writing an article about so
Jocelyn Harvey
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been raving about David Dickinson's Powerscourt series, set in England (with several divergences elsewhere in Europe) in the late Victorian era. This is one of the best of the 5 or so I've read so far - the same wonderfully detailed, fascinating characters, both major and a vast cast of secondary folk; the same intricate plot lines, often deceptive, but with a particularly intriguing premise this time - the world of art fraud in the period. There are fakes, forgeries, blatant self-interest ...more
Sandra
Enjoyable and interesting; I like Dickinson's writing. The plot was also interesting and although I figured out the "whodunnit" part well before it was revealed (which I hardly ever do), it remained interesting to the end. Also, I liked it enough that I realized that I need to change my rating of Janet Evanovich's book, whichever one it was (the one with the number four, I think) to two stars; the Evanovich was ok, quick read, but I doubt I'll read more of her stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll read the
Ann
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written, very intelligent mystery. A leading art expert is found murdered in London. He was just about to publish a book on art forgery which would cause great turmoil in the art community. He was about to say that most of the art on sale or on display in London was forged. Lord Francis Powerscourt is called in to investigate. This takes him into the dark world of art forgery, the business of selling art, and the intrigue of romance. It is set in 1899 and the information about the ...more
Michael
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more restrained outing for Lord Powerscourt this time; so no marshalling of Venice's waiters, no blow by blow cricket matches or gleeful pyromaniac fire inspectors. There's still time for some boy's own gun play, Nelson's eye, playtime with the little ones and plenty of unrestrained alcohol consumption from trusty sidekicks. Surprisingly, considering Dickinson's wide knowledge of the art world, it's the series first court room sequence that shines rather than the nefarious machinations ...more
Susan
The murder of an art critic distantly related to his wife, Lady Lucy, pitches Lord Francis Powerscourt into the shady world of art dealers in turn-of-the-century England. Christopher Montague was about to expose dealers who sell forged Old Masters to naive, wealthy Americans. The police, however, focus on Montague's affair with a married woman. Powerscourt is almost positive that the husband who is on trial for the murder is innocent, but there's no evidence against his own suspect and the defen ...more
Nancy
Dec 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gerry and other Anglophiles
Shelves: mysteries
By now, you can probably figure out what shelf I landed on at my new Public Library---came home with a load of light mysteries, but this book (and its companion which I also read--Death Called to the Bar)were really fun for me because I love anything smacking of British high-life. This book was particularly amusing to me because it centered on the nouveau riche Americans at the turn of the last century and their hunger for European style and culture (thus their vulnerability when presented with ...more
Nancy Ellis
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these Victorian mysteries and the chance to lose myself in time. These books are more substantial than many I have tried and include much interesting information about life in those times. This book deals with the art forgery scandals of the day as the newly rich American businessmen come to London to buy "Old Masters" without troubling themselves overmuch to verify the origin of the painting. It made for a fun read!
Maureen Hetzel
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the books about Lord Powerscourt, the investigator, that I read and it led to a fascination with him and his role in solving mysteries in Victoria's England of the 1890s. For those who appreciate good writing, insight into historical times, and memorable characters you must try these books. I am hooked!
Barbara
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent historical mystery. It was exciting and truly mysterious! Lord Francis is a fun Victorian detective. Francis was rather overshadowed in the end by Attorney Charles Augustus Pugh, so I wonder if we'll be hearing from him again in the future!
Craig
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Third in the series, but my second to read. Nearing 4 stars, but still not enough character development, even of the main characters - they're more than a bit too cold and hollow. Perhaps an even better mystery than the first, and a smoother development of the plot as well. Worth reading more.
Jill
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed but think court was a bit far-fetched
Rebecca Cook
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
The author just keeps getting better!
Angie
Another ripping read. I'm glad I found Lord Francis.
S Dizzy
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a riveting "artistic" mystery. I loved it! And I'm about to start the next book in this series.
Jill
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

After a paragraph or two, I realised that I had read this book before. It's not the sort of book I would relish reading a second time.
Mary G.
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. This is just a wonderful series.
Shirley Evans
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Had everything - murders, romance, intrigue, family love, court case and clever attorneys. Loved it.
Charlene
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book gets better
Kate Muldoon
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all The Lord Powerscourt Mysteries this is still my very favorite! Love the images of the turn of the century art world!
Fred Rauch
Jon
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Somme Stations
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands, #5)
  • To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • The Man Who Killed His Brother
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Beacon
  • A Pour Way to Dye (Soapmaking Mystery #2)
  • The Weaver and the Factory Maid (Haunted Ballad, #1)
  • 1001 Things You Didn't Know You Wanted To Know
  • Dark Passions (Hot Blood, #13)
David Dickinson was born in Dublin. After receiving a first class honours degree in Classics from Cambridge he joined the BBC where he became editor of Newsnight and Panorama as well as being series editor on Monarchy, a three part programme on the current state and future prospects of the British royal family. David now lives in Barnes, South West London.

Librarian Note: There is more than one aut
More about David Dickinson...

Lord Francis Powerscourt (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • Death of a Chancellor (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #4)
  • Death Called to the Bar (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #5)
  • Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)
  • Death on the Holy Mountain (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #7)
  • Death of a Pilgrim (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #8)
  • Death of a Wine Merchant (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #9)
  • Death In A Scarlet Coat (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #10)
  • Death at the Jesus Hospital (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #11)