Start by marking “The Oxford History of the Roman World” as Want to Read:
The Oxford History of the Roman World

The Oxford History of the Roman World

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In less than fifty-three years, Rome subjected most of the known world to its rule. This authoritative and compelling work tells the story of the rise of Rome from its origins as a cluster of villages to the foundation of the Roman Empire by Augustus, to its consolidation in the first two centuries CE. It also discusses aspects of the later Empire and its influence on West ...more
Published November 29th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford History of the Roman World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford History of the Roman World

Lane Wilkinson
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Did you know that Rome conquered the known world in only 53 years? And that it took barely over five decades to expand its borders across the Mediterranean? And that in half a century, Rome became the largest empire in the world? And that in less than 60 summers, Rome expand great power military conquer wharrgarbl...

Oh yeah, another neat fact...it only took 53 pages to realize that this book is just a half-assed, disjointed rehashing of Polybius.

Seriously, though, for an Oxford history of Rome,
Ken Moten
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to learn about Classical Rome.
This book is a great introduction to Ancient Rome in a series of essays written by experts on antiquity. This book was very impressive in subject matter and I found the timeline at the end very helpful. Though I wish there were more content on the last years of the Empire, it was still a strong book overall. I would recommend that book be read by people who DO NOT know much about Ancient Rome, or else this might be slightly boring or redundant.
Bruce
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a primer that touches on many topics in a rather cursory manner. There are roles and places for primers, so that cannot be a criticism. Like many books with multiple authors, though, this book suffers from being uneven. Each of its seventeen chapters is written by a different author, and the book as a whole may be more a reflection of their individual interests than a unified attempt to cover the primary topic.

The historical material is, logically, arranged chronologically, but it is cur
Skye
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I did it-- read this book in one week, while taking 15 pages of notes on my own! It was assigned for a class I'm taking this fall that has a very heavy workload, so I thought I'd pre-read this. Honestly, I can't recommend it. It reads like an encyclopedia, which is dizzying even if you only read a few pages at a time. The moment I finished it and moved toward Gian Biagio Conte's "Latin Literature" book (which is even MORE of an encyclopedia in form, though not in style), I realized that Conte wa ...more
Birgitta Hoffmann
Somebody once described this book as a primer and that is what it does well: offering a first stop summary on the Roman World, not just Roman history, but Roman art and literature as well. Being a compilation of different authors, not all parts are of the same depth or quality, but as a whole it works and it is very popular with my adult education students. However, being nearly 30 years old, the bibliographies need updating and some sections are beginning to show their age.
Siria
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Solid enough introduction to the Roman world, tracing its history from its origins as a cluster of villages to the foundation of the Empire and its growth in the first two centuries. I used it as a primer during my course on the Roman Empire, and though rather uninspiring, it does lay out the basic facts which one needs to grasp.
Patrice
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I haven't really finished this book. I think it's more of a reference book, not something to read from cover to cover.

I returned to this book and just about finished it. I found it very easy to read and very informative.
Kafkasfriend
Not the most recent publication but the quality of the research has stood the test of time. Still on many university reading lists.
Orla
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
An excellent series of essays on the Roman world written in engaging and often amusing styles. Very helpful.
Colin Martin
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Cambridge Illustrated History of Ancient Greece
  • Thucydides: The Reinvention of History
  • The Oxford History of Medieval Europe
  • Introducing the Ancient Greeks: From Bronze Age Seafarers to Navigators of the Western Mind
  • The Archaeology of Death and Burial (Texas A&M University Anthropology, 3)
  • Under Another Sky: Journeys in Roman Britain