Start by marking “Die Botin des Königs (Reiter-Trilogie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Die Botin des Königs (Reiter-Trilogie, #2)

Die Botin des Königs (Green Rider #2)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  17,620 Ratings  ·  501 Reviews
Abenteuerlich und märchenhaft, spannend und magisch
Die magische Reiter-Trilogie geht weiter: Karigans Mission ist noch nicht zu Ende. Denn auch wenn der finstere Magier Shawdell längst besiegt ist, so gilt dies nicht für die dunklen Kräfte, die er nach tausend Jahren wieder zum Leben erweckte. In den Tiefen des Waldes schlummert Etwas, das ganz Sacoridia bedroht. Seine Vor
Published January 5th 2009 by Heyne Verlag (first published 2003)

Aristea
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation of the series.
I found there was more pathos this time, more desperation in the matter, more difficulties to overcome. I just feel invested in this world and in Kerigan's adventures!
Gergana
Feb 08, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Read in March, 2016. DNF:70%

A highly relaxing and predictable read, great for lulling me to sleep! :)

I enjoyed the first book enough to want to buy a Hard Cover copy and to get my hands on the sequel right away. Maybe if I've tried it earlier in my life-time I would've totally loved it and rereading it would've been a happy nostalgic experience. Unfortunately... it's just plain boring for me. Moving on!
Jenny
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really struggled between giving this book two stars or three, but ultimately had to admit that I liked it. I am a sucker for series, and this book really had some good moments. I found myself drawn in and actually reading the book before bed, where with most books I reserve them only for my commute.

So now for the bad...GOOD LORD is this book a rip off of Lord of the Rings! Just like the first one is! Allow me to list the similarities (of course, some of these are carry-overs from Green Rider,
Scott
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really astonished at how much better First Rider's Call is than Green Rider(#1). This book is much darker than the first, but Britain's prose doesn't feel forced here to become such, as I felt it did throughout Green Rider. In fact, just in general, I feel her writing improved a thousand fold. The world building has become very solid and engaging, the pacing is fantastic, and the interlude excerpts from the Journal of Hadriax el Fex are a great addition to the narrative. Smartly written cha ...more
Mikki
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
It's not often that I want to rip the pages out of a book just so I can finally finish the book and be done with it, so I guess that's one thing First Rider's Call will forever be notable for. But that's not a good thing. I swear, the damn thing would never end and a great deal of nothing was happening the whole time. My copy was 800 pages, and the only time anything truly started to get moving was around the 700 page mark, and at that point you just want it to be over.

I am particularly disappoi
Shayla
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who love sword-fighting women
LOVED IT SO MUCH! I finished this a few days ago and it was so so good. I had really enjoyed book 1, but this blew that one out of the water. An awesome fantasy story, I loved it. I wish I could be a rider or Karigan G'ladheon herself. I was super into the story the whole time, though it was kinda painful because there were so many heart-wrenching deaths and I cried like 4x. This was one of those books that felt written just for me, I love stories where women sword fighting is commonplace

Can't w
Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to ‘Green Rider’, and a well done sequel at that.

Karigan G’ladheon had gone home to follow in her fathers footsteps, to be a merchant, determined to leave the world of kings, advisors, and Green Riders, behind. Everyone told her she wouldn’t be able to resist the call of the Riders, that once chosen, you stayed chosen, but she would have none of it. She didn’t want to be a Green Rider, she didn’t want to be a messenger. The brief period she had spent finishing the job of a de
Dichotomy Girl
I've listened to 2 hours of this on audiobook, and I really don't think I can take another 18 hours. I'm just finding it very "meh".
Kathleen
3.5 stars. Another good read, if slightly too long. I enjoyed the scenes in the ancient past, time travel with Legendary Lil, the first Green Rider. I also enjoyed the journal of Hadriax el Fex, with short, succinct entries. Vivid and scary scenes in the Black Veil.

Interesting plot development involving a secret society, The Second Empire. But hard to believe the Arcosians wouldn't have fully integrated after 1000 years. Only think how (comparatively) quickly the Anglo-Saxons accepted the invad
Meg
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this one 3-stars like the first book, but let's face it friends--any 600 page book that you finish in 2 days is a 4-star at LEAST. Not a great work of literary prowess, but a GREAT STORY. This time around I cared a lot more about the characters--especially Captain Laren, Lord Alton, and Lil--the "First Rider." I LOVED the time travel aspect of the story. That can just never get old to me--so many possibilities. The world and the magic are entrancing.

That being said, it still bugs m
Mike (the Paladin)
***Update: The forth book to this "trilogy" was just published. Oh well.

This is a good follow up (second book) in a good trilogy(sorry, series).

*This is a mainly character driven book. The "courier" is in fact an interesting historical character in "his or her" own right. Traditionally given special consideration (passing through enemy lines in battle, traveling enemy territory allowing communication between hostile powers etc.) they are fascinating. Of course what I mention above is the "ideal
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This volume was noticeably better than the first, in my opinion. Kristen Britain's writing seems to have matured, and the plot and character development are definitely stronger. Britain also manages to successfully weave multiple story threads together in a way that makes the story richer, rather than cluttered, as if often the case when authors attempt to do so. Although the first volume was supposed to be exciting, I personally found it a little dull and generic, an obvious combination of Merc ...more
Adrianna
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This series is fantastic. This felt slower than the first, but there were a lot of chilling moments where we find out so much of the past and more about the enemy and how he came to be. We discover more of Karigan's ancestry and on the first rider, Lil. Overall a great sequel, and I look forward to continuing!
Jean
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading fantasy for awhile now and my main issue with some fantasy has been the way female characters are written and portrayed. (Robert Jordan)

Kristen Britain has found her way into my heart with this series.
Leah
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with my review of the first book in the Green Rider series, this is based on my second reading of the book. And once again, my initial review of four stars stands, but this comes after much debate, because my four stars for First Rider's Call is very different than my four stars for Green Rider. This is one of those times at which I truly wish there were a way to rate a book with four and a half stars, because First Rider's Call honestly deserves it.

Between books, Britain developed greatly as
Tari_Roo
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, it’s fairly standard for fantasy books of ‘original’ worlds to have a map in the front (or back). I love looking at these maps, and ironing out the geography in my mind. I like maps in general, especially old ones. So in Green Rider, the first book of this series, I was sad not to find a map of Sacoridia. And alas, this book still doesn’t have one. Maybe its deliberate on Britain’s part, because if a map says, ‘Frelling Empire’ you kinda assume the empire is going be mentioned, visited ...more
Ms. Library
Since I read Lord of the Rings when I was younger, I have had a soft spot for high fantasy. I admit it-I love the sprawling epics and the magic and the long history and the unwritten rules that most of them seem to follow. However, every now and then, I find my appreciation for genre is completely overwhelmed by the ridiculousness of the enterprise.
Green Rider/First Rider’s Call falls into the latter. I so wanted to like it. Its something sixteen year old me would probably have gobbled up immed
Kelsey
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely pretty good, overall. I had read the first book at least 2 years ago, so for the first 50 pages or so, I felt pretty lost, like I'd skipped a book. But then the details started trickling in, bit by bit, and I was appreciative of the fact that there hadn't been a huge info-dump at the beginning. It made the story flow better, and the reader curious to find out what was going on.

The reason that this doesn't get 5 stars is that too often, there was telling and not showing. And while it's
Jessie
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2010
Krista D.
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book suffered less from the pacing issues of the first book, but there were a few places where the book’s plot sagged for the benefit of the worldbuilding. It probably wouldn’t be as noticeable if I was reading as opposed to listening an audiobook, but I’ve been enjoying the narrator too much to abandon for an ebook.

Time travel magic can be tricky to pull off sometimes, and I found this book did it with a nice touch. There were also funny moments, like when she is communing with a spirit...
Althea Ann
The is a sequel to "The Green Rider," which I read shortly after it came out. It was good enough that I bothered to pick up the sequel - but not so good that I really went out of my way to find it.
"First Rider's Call" continues with more of the same. It's fantasy for those who like long stories with girls, horses, light romance and magic. Adequate, entertaining, but nothing really memorable or remarkable.
Karigan, the young woman who was called to the magical royal messenger service known as the
Minh
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This sequal picks up around 2-3 years after the first novel. Karigan has finally sucumbed to the call of the Green Rider and is well into becoming one of the King's Messengers. The breach in the Black Wall is causing havoc for the Green Riders with their innate magical abilties and Karigan herself is having visions of the First Rider.

I looked on Kristen Britain's website and took a quick glance at her blog. It was somehow not reassuring that in '04 she posted saying that the writing of book 3 w
Kelsey Hanson
Actual Rating: 2.5

This is a personal preference of mine, but I hate time-travelling related stories. I think they tend to get very complicated and not in a way that I find especially interesting. This book was a bit of a let down for me. It seems like the writer was trying to make the story much more complex from the first one, but the plot plods along too slowly for it to really pay off. I did like the addition of Lil, but this book had so many slow spots it took me a long time to finish. Hopef
Asami Uchiha
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an intimidating book to read page wise. It took me quite a while to get into it, but it was a good book and I found it more enjoyable than the first book. There was a lot of world building in this book and I loved the time travel involved. I'm growing fond of these characters and will pick up the 3rd book . . . eventually. >.<

Overall a good read! Very intimidating because it was so big, but I made it to the end!

Finally I hope the 3rd book resolves some of my shipping issues,
Férial
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars actually just because I had hard times getting away from the book. That's THE sign. The sign that shows me I love a story and the way it is told.

Completely devastated by Zachary's choice but proud of Karigan's reaction to the gift. I guess there won't be a happy ending for these two. Makes me sad. Really sad. I so much like happy endings.

Anyway, there are still plenty of adventures ahead for Karigan. On my way to book 3
Shane
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
This book was an absolute rush from start to finish.I just couldn't put it down. There's fun and adventure, romance, emotional cliffhangers, and of course a lot of magic and swordfighting. The protagonist is easy to love and relate to; her depiction of bravery is beyond impressive. Thank God for this series and I kinda hope it never ends!
Trimble
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Interesting story line. More setting up of love stories but never really got to any of them yet. The violence was described in more detail in this one than the first and I didn't really like that but was able to skip over a paragraph here or there. The end was a bit odd until I realized there was another book and I'm excited to continue the series. Very fun books.
Tammie
This is quickly turning into a favorite series. Sometimes I get very emotionally invested in the characters I read about. Parts of this book near the end had me tearing up. I can't wait to read what happens in the next one!
Darkphoenix
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!

There were times when Karrigan was quite annoying, especially when she chose to ignore signs that something wasn't quite right but I was happy to see that she finally pulled her blinkers off..

Can't wait to get to next one in the series...
Cathlene Burk
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There were times when I felt a bit lost in all the twists and turns, but enjoyed this book anyway. The characters became more real, in this second book of the series, and I am now curious about what is to come in the third.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: First Rider's Call 27 45 Jun 26, 2017 11:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions of First Rider's Call 2 17 Jun 25, 2013 06:50PM
  • Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
Kristen Britain grew up in the Finger Lakes region of New York State, where she started her first novel - an undersea fantasy featuring herself and her friends - at the age of nine. She published her first book, a cartoon collection called Horses and Horsepeople, at the age of thirteen. After completing her degree in film production at Ithaca College in 1987 she made the logical (?!) leap from cin ...more
More about Kristen Britain...

Green Rider (6 books)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • Blackveil (Green Rider, #4)
  • Mirror Sight (Green Rider, #5)
  • Firebrand (Green Rider, #6)

“They come in injured and mangled, we put them back together, then they stand in my halls making demands. A thankless lot to be sure.” 25 likes
“Reveal yourself, mage! Only a coward stays cloaked in invisibility.” 13 likes