Start by marking “Girls Who Rocked The World: Heroines From Anne Frank to Natalie Portman” as Want to Read:
Girls Who Rocked The World: Heroines From Anne Frank to Natalie Portman

Girls Who Rocked The World: Heroines From Anne Frank to Natalie Portman

"Young women looking for inspiration will surely find it" (Booklist") in these profiles of forty-six movers and shakers who made their mark before they turned twenty.This fun and inspiring collection of influential stories provides forty-six illustrated examples of strong, independent female role models, all of whom first impacted the world as teenagers or younger.

Origina
Published October 2nd 2012 by Beyond Words/Alladin

Atzimba
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
So far this book has been okay. The entries are short although I'm sure they could have been much more detail added about the lives of these women. Also, one thing I really disliked was that there were no pictures of these women. I found myself searching the internet for these women and their work. I'll make a final assessment of the book once I'm done.
Anis Suraya
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book which I wish I had as a textbook in school. It's mind-blowing to know hidden histories of some of the figures and their stories should be exposed more often. Their stories give hopes to women and girls especially, no matter who you are, you have what it takes to contribute to the betterment of the world and make history of your own. Their stories,explains different personalities, shows that you don't necessarily have to be loud to make your voice heard BUT the point is, you do you ...more
Jada
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Girls Who Rocked the World is an amazing book that I’m currently reading, I personally love this book because it’s all about women who made a difference and and changed the way women live in now with our, freedom, and peace, and have equal rights. And their are so many women that had made a difference in the world that I didn’t even know about just like The Trung Sisters, Phillis Wheatley, Joan of Arc, and Florence Nightingale and she is very interesting, and there are so much more people that I ...more
Gustavo.M
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Girls who rocked the world is about women who did something important that make them . I recommend this book to people who want to know about the world and what made them important. I give this book a 7 out of 10 .
кай жук
I have mixed feelings. I would say this book is appropriate for ages over 10 (there are many mentions of violence and death). I enjoyed the conciseness of facts and did learn about some new historical figures. My biggest complaint is that the book focuses on Western women's accomplishments and most of the women will have been people who are already well known. I understand the limitations of finding remarkable women who did something before they were 20, though, so perhaps there really are so fe ...more
Cami
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this book at first but it grew on me and I found myself researching more about several of these awesome women. I had checked it out of the library to see if it would be a good book to read to my kids and enjoyed the stories enough to buy the book. We're going to go through them together (my 9- and 7-year-old girls and myself). I didn't love the overtly girly/feminist language in some places but the stories are definitely inspiring and just having a few pages on a person is en ...more
Tracie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another good book with short biographies about the lives of women who did notable things at a young age. I liked that a while a lot of the women were known, there was also a diverse cast of lesser known women as well. I also liked that after each woman's story they included a small section which gave the reader a teen girl and how they plan to do good in the world. I would reccomend this mostly for a tween or young teen audience, though older people may also find enjoyment in the storie ...more
Karina Pochet Sotela
Girls who rocked the world is one of the best book of female progression; it does not only shows their personal lives but also the different struggles they had to achieve what they dreamt of. Also it has a wide gama of fields and time.
Simply a book which inspires all types of ladies, from young ones to mature ones ...they show us that nothing is impossible if we just work hard and set a goal and vision.
Clare
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 out of 5 stars.

This book was so informative and well-written.

I really recommend picking this book up, especially if you are someone who has a young daughter. Read it, educate yourself of these wonderful females throughout history, and share it with your daughters (and sons, because the more we teach young kids that gender plays no part in success the better life will be). Show young girls that there are kids just like them who changed the freaking world!
Roisin
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a duet with biographies about famous women throughout history. I found it really interesting to learn about the women, and it was also very inspiring! I think that girls and boys of all ages would enjoy this book. My favorite thing about this book is that it provides a short story from the person’s life, and then it provides the whole life story.
Emma Dargue
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise small biographies of women who rocked the world early in their teens or childhood. These biographies of two or three pages pack a punch and encourage the reader to read and investigate further into these heroines who have claims to fame in a variety of fields such as science, sport and entertainment. Although aimed at younger readers than myself I found it worthwhile to read.
Maria Waltner
Good mix of cultural, racial and throughout time - liked that they chose women who started making contributions when they were still teens which offered up some names and stories that I did not already know. I would recommend this to any of the strong-willed young women I know.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book my daughter read and suggested I read. She’s very young but could use her own Goodreads app!

She got this book for her birthday and loved it right away due to the title. It includes a great variety of strong women.
Aly
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great! It's so inspirational knowing what other young women have done throughout history to change the world.
Victoria
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5

Some interesting choices in this book that might not have put in (Chanel and Mother Theresa come to mind) but a really great collection of amazing women!
Hattie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely aimed at a young audience (10-12?) but nevertheless very interesting.
Lili Maycock
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun to read and had many detailed and inspirational stories but if you don’t like non-fiction books you would probably not like this book.
Emily Willsher
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a stocking present from my mum over Christmas. I thought that it was going to be aimed at my age group, however shortly after starting the book I realised it was probably more aimed at young girls aged 9-15. However, I still really enjoyed it and it only took a couple of days to read.

The book is an anthology of stories about important women throughout history who made an impact at a young age. I think that it could really inspire young girls and show them a range of things tha
16sadiea
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Have you ever heard of the Trung sisters or Sacagawea? These are just a couple of the women who changed the world. For my genre du Jour, I read the non-fiction book Girls Who Rocked the World by Michelle Roehm McCann and Amelie Welden.
This is a historical non-fiction book. Non-fiction means real events that actually took place in the world. This book has a lot of short chapters that explain how different female heroes made an impact on the world. I like how the book had an index so that I could
Susan Barnes
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this book in my local library. I was looking for biographies I could use in my Chaplaincy role at a primary school. It's a fascinating read. There are 42 stories of girls who have made a significant impact in lots of different fields. The wide variety of locations, historical settings and backgrounds makes for a smorgasbord of experiences. All the girls had to overcome obstacles, whether they were prejudices, poverty, lack of education or family expectations. They all showed amazing ...more
Amanda Roddey
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
McCann, M.R., & Welden, A. (2008). Girls who rocked the world. New York, NY: Aladdin.

Target Audience: Grades 5-8

Girls Who Rocked the World first opens up with an amazing quote about how women can make great history, just like their male counterparts. This book is an inspirational compilation of stories about women who have made huge impacts on today before they were even 20 years old. Every reader is able to relate to these stories and find one role model. The book describes 17-year old Joa
Caterpickles
Girls Who Rocked the World is a collection of short biographies of women such as Harriet Tubman, Hatshepsut, Joan of Arc, Sacagawea, Mary Anning, and Anne Frank, whose actions as teenagers shaped their country and in some cases, history. Within these pages, you’ll find abolitionists, inventors, physicists, nurses, activists, warriors, and fossil hunters. There are fashion designers, actresses, ballerinas, poets, musicians, and sculptors. There are queens and pharaohs, professions closed to The E ...more
Jaime
This book has famous women from the beginning of time to today. Everything from scientists and presidents to authors and queens, this book has it all. Each person mentioned has two to six pages discussing their lives and how they went about achieving their dreams. I think it is great for kids to learn about people who followed their drema and I love the little boxes of “How Will You Rock The World?” where kids put how they plan to make a difference. I love the idea of this book and I think my st ...more
Ellie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It was a good pick up and put down book that I read over the course of about a month and a half. More than half of the women in this book I had never heard of and I enjoyed learning about strong female leaders throughout history. The author did a terrific job of researching this book.
Maria
I loved the mixture of narrative writing style, short biographies, and information about current girls who are rocking the world.

It was nice to see women represented from all around the world, throughout time, and in many different fields (science, sports, literature, music, etc). The focus on women who began their paths before age 20 was a great hook, and hopefully will help convince the kids reading the book that it is never too soon to make a difference.

This is a great introduction to the l
Dayan Cruz
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. It taught me so much about different people like Florence Nightingale and even Queen Nefrititi. It gives you a small biography of each person in the book such as Coco Channel. It tells you their birth, death, accomplishments and much more. After reading this book I knew so many new things that I didn't know already. Even though some people in the book might not seem interesting they might just surprise you. I recommend this book to people who like to learn about amaz ...more
Isabella
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is all about girls/women who defied the odds and were amazing in their own way. These people are from Joan of Arc to Adriana Ocampa. Their stories are all fascinating, some sad but what they did before all the bad things happened was really the main part and the best bit. My favourite person is Anne Frank because everyone who is jewish can relate to her and all the other jews living through the war.
Lyndal Russell
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I liked the fact that this book gave you all the information you needed and wanted to know about each person. I sometimes found myself being quite bored but that was only because I didn't know not of them before reading the book. I was very excited about reading the stories of Joan of Arc, Sacagawea, Anne Frank, The Bronte sisters and so much more because I had heard about or seen their names somewhere and I though, "yes. I want to know all about them."
Constance
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-language
Michelle Roehm McCann and Amelie Welden have created a celebration for girls in "Girls Who Rocked the World." If you feel a bit overwhelmed while reading the good works of so many good girls, pause to reflect on your own accomplishments, whether celebrated or unsung. All ordinary people are extraordinary. The jacket illustration designed by Karina Granda is an eye stopper...guess that's Sacagawea and Mother Teresa jamming electrics?
Leanna C.
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Girls Who Rocked the World: Heroines from Joan of Arc to Mother Teresa by Michelle Roehm McCann is about many woman who made their mark in the world. They did things that other people would not dare to. This book is a good book to read if you need like to read in the car or on a plane ride. It doesn't take very long to read, but you learn a lot about history... in a fun way.

• Boys Who Rocked The World: Heroes from King Tut to Bruce Lee
  • The Woman Reader
  • Lives of Extraordinary Women: Rulers, Rebels ~ and What the Neighbors Thought
  • Florence Nightingale
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Library on Wheels: Mary Lemist Titcomb and America's First Bookmobile
  • Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Looks Like Daylight
  • Annie and Helen
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Whore Stories: A Revealing History of the World's Oldest Profession
  • After the Fact: The Surprising Fates of American History's Heroes, Villains, and Supporting Characters
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything