Start by marking “So, You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist?” as Want to Read:
So, You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist?

So, You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist?

Find success as a comic book artist with this step-by-step guide to creating, publishing, and marketing your very own comics.

The secrets to comic book creation are at your fingertips! This comprehensive guide details the steps to becoming a hit comic book maker—from creating compelling characters and illustrations to getting published and marketing a finished product—and i
Published September 4th 2012 by Beyond Words/Alladin

To ask other readers questions about So, You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So, You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist?

Annamarie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Within these pages you will find out how to achieve your dream of becoming a comic book artist. Here Philip will share tips of the trade from what types of materials to use to create your one of a kind work of art, all the way to even promoting yourself once you feel ready.
This book is a very friendly introduction to starting a career in comics for younger artists that may be inspired by very well known works such as Batman, Superman, and Fantastic Four. We are even treated to some interviews o
Cynthia E Sherman
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Good Reads first reads book giveaway. I enjoyed reading this book. It is well organized and informational. I especially loved the mini comic book creator sections. These sections had various ages of young creators. This will appeal to would be creators of comics. I can not wait till my future students read this.
Dan
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of young artists-to-be
If you have a youngster with a love for drawing and a desire to produce comic books, then Philip Amara's "So, You Want To Be A Comic Book Artist?" is something you should check out right away.

Over the course of 12 chapters, Amara provides an overview of the comic writing process -- from developing a plot to promoting the product, there is information on the tools of the trade, technique, character development, etc.

In addition, each chapter also offers examples of comic book art (beginner to pro)
Karen
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and gave the book to a coworker's nephew (8 years old) to read and review.
The following review is by Mark Jones as written:

I have read So, You Want To Be A Comic Book Artist? I loved it; this book shows how to make a mini comic book. I liked these comic books; EviL, Love LivE and, Amortek. I also read Silver Shadow a lot because it was cute. This book helped me learn how to profile, so I could make a comic book so that I could lay out the plays in advance. Al
Christina Taylor
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Presented as a self-help guide, this comprehensive work features a step-by-step explanation of how to become a comic book artist, insights from world-famous artists, tips from veteran artists, and inspirational anecdotes from young artists - discussing tools, drawing, character and plot creation, layout, self-promotion, and more. Amara’s text is best suited for younger readers, those who are novices to this vein of thought, or older less reflective readers. Consequently, it would make a nice ent ...more
Jeremy
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
'How to Break into Comics!' is the self proclaimed 'Ultimate Guide for Kids' to become a comic book artist. It is an informational text with a step by step approach of becoming one. The author introduces what the different types of comics are and how they are set up; what you'll need; ideas on storyline and characters. The book even gives tips on submitting your comics to editors. This book can be used in intermediate and upper level schools to motivate a reader who only read comics. This book c ...more
Ashley
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: resource
This was a great resource! I particularly benefited from the sections on character and plot creation. The questions the author poses really get the brain juices flowing. He is also a charismatic writer in general. I love how he incorporated a wide variety of comics in his examples and how he had comic artists of all ages share about their processes and favorite inspirations. I got some ideas for new comics/manga to read.
Nancy
May 26, 2013 added it
The title of this book pretty much says it all. So, You Want to be a Comic Book Artist. Do you like to draw? Do you sometimes draw comics? This book may be just want you need to help you go further. Learn how to create a great character. Write a story. And even get some publicity. Give it a try.
Adam
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for young artists who want to learn how to make their own comic books. I received a copy when I was a sixth grader, and used it as a handy guide in my own projects. I still have the book and consider it one of the earliest inspirations that led me to follow a career in illustration.
Robin
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to getting into the world of creating comics for kids. I liked how the author interviewed artists whom we've heard and some we haven't! Really a great title for kids.
Kirk Bullough
This book was ok. I ordered it online so i was disappointed when I realized it was more about the business side of things than the actual drawing part.
Gogospirit
Mar 29, 2018
Vita  V.
Apr 27, 2017
Javier Lopez
rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2015
Aznangelz
Aug 29, 2012
Nox
Oct 07, 2014
Phil Amara began reading comics at a young age. He is the co-creator of Burglar Girls, The Nevermen, and Sky Ape, and has written for Star Wars and Aliens, among others. He is currently the editor of SpyBoy, Planet of the Apes, and the Eisner Award-winning Sock Monkey, as well as co-editor on the American Illustration Award-winner, Scatterbrain, all for Dark Horse Comics.