Start by marking “The Nightgown (Carter Ross, 0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Nightgown (Carter Ross, 0.5)

The Nightgown

(Carter Ross Mystery #0.5)

Shamus and Nero award-winning author Brad Parks takes readers back to the beginning of investigative reporter Carter Ross's career with this intriguing prequel short story.

Only 24 years old and still a wide-eyed reporter for a tiny backwater newspaper, Ross is getting his crack at the big leagues with an interview at New Jersey's largest paper, The Eagle-Examiner. If—that
Published March 6th 2012 by Minotaur Books

Start your review of The Nightgown (Carter Ross, 0.5)
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent little mystery prequel with a lot of suspense and well-developed characters.
Barb
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
To short of a story, would of been a great long book if it was longer than 10 pages. I liked what I read, but not worth the 1.99 I spent!!!!
Annie
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A most excellent 5 star read, short, sweet and oh so Carter!
Teena in Toronto
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This novella tells how Carter Ross got his job working for The Eagle-Examiner, a newspaper in New Jersey. He was 24 years old, young and eager, and applying for the job as a reporter. As he was going through the testing to show his talent, using information the newspaper provided so he could write a fake news story, a call comes in that a prominent local citizen had been in a car accident. If alcohol was involved, this would be quite the scandal.

With no other reporters available, Carter
Diogenes
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good, very short story (released with an excerpt from The Girl Next Door).
Loy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just. Cute short story. I have read of the books in this series.
This is a prequel

JoeK
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun.

This is an origin story of sorts, relating the first time Ross writes for the Eagle-Examiner. Not much time is spent with characters, I'm sure the author figured this story was only going to be picked up by people who have already read some of the series, yet it is a good jump-in spot for anyone who hasn't read a Carter Ross tale before, which I guess makes this story doubly good if it pleases fans and attracts new readers.
Emily
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-lit
A prequel to The Girl Next Door: A Mystery, The Nightgown introduces us to Carter Ross with confident prose and perfect tempo. Carter Ross' journalistic adventure proves interesting and engaging, especially as it smoothly sets up the novel, a sample of which was included with this short story.
Nikki
A funny and well-done prequel to Parks's Carter Ross series, which I've just recently discovered. In this story, Ross is trying to break into the big time Newark newspaper after a few years in journalistic Purgatory (rural Pennsylvania). Parks gives the story a real flavor of New Jersey without too much annoying stereotyping. Recommended whether or not you've read the novels in the series.
Malina
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chose to read this short story before reading my copy of The Girl Next Door, a Goodreads giveaway copy.

From this short story, I think I will really enjoy reading about Carter Ross' newspaper, should I say adventures? The character has just enough attitude and smarts to make you really like how he goes about getting the story he needs.
Priscilla
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brad-parks
An interesting short story about how Carter Ross came to get his job at the Eagle-Examiner. I enjoyed it, (who doesn't but love a juicy story about a senator who isn't on the up and up) but, I do wish that instead of a novella it could have been a full length novel.
John
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This engaging prequel,short story by Nero Award and Shamus Award winning author Brad Park displays his significant talent and motivates all to read his three subsequent stories featuring the appealing hero, Carter Ross.

Jacqueline
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, mystery, series
Wow, that was really well written. Hee! Fun prequel!
Homerun2
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun prequel to the Carter Ross series.
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for Carter Ross. A fun, quick short story giving just a bit of background on how he gets to the Eagle Examiner. Parks writing has such a fun voice.
Pamela Dixon
Mica
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 24, 2015 02:17PM

• Lost Creed (Ryder Creed, #4)
  • Dark of the Moon (Virgil Flowers, #1)
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
  • The Charmed Life of Alex Moore
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • Cooking for Jeffrey: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
  • The Sunday Lunch Club
  • Where the Shadows Lie (Fire & Ice, #1)
  • Eye Contact
  • Mannheim Rex
  • Lifesaving for Beginners
  • Snap
  • HEX - the entire 4 book series. An Urban Fantasy Box set.: The Sholto Gunn UF Series
  • The Other's Gold
  • Commune 3: (Commune Series, Book 3)
  • The Diamond Caper
  • The Words Between Us
  • Love Lettering
International bestseller author Brad Parks is the only writer to have won the Shamus, Nero, and Lefty Awards, three of American crime fiction's most prestigious prizes. His books have earned starred reviews from every major pre-publication journal.

A father of two and a husband of one, Brad lives in Virginia, where he spends four hours a day at his local Hardee's, writing his novels. When not at

Carter Ross Mystery (6 books)
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
  • The Player (Carter Ross, #5)
  • The Fraud (Carter Ross, #6)