Start by marking “True Witness” as Want to Read:
True Witness

True Witness (Brodie Farrell #2)

A teenage boy is beaten to death on Dimmock's derelict pier. Detective Jack Deacon is convinced they have the murderer; he just needs a positive identification to lock him up for good. But the only witness is astronomer Daniel Hood, in his own way a man as determined as Jack.

Compelling as the circumstantial evidence is against the suspected killer, Daniel cannot be certain
Published December 2nd 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about True Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Witness

Sally
May 15, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read any of this series before, but I have enjoyed the author's Castlemere series for years. Although her sleuth did not solve the mystery and was somewhat in the background of the story compared to Daniel Hood, the plot was very enjoyable. I will read more of these.
Elizabeth
The book is well-written. But, the subject is dark, even for a murder mystery, and that made it difficult reading for me. I was also surprised that Brodie seems to be a relatively minor character.
Carolyn Wallis
Aug 17, 2015 Carolyn Wallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written story with a different cast of characters. Even though this is of the Brodie Farrell series, she does not capture the center of attention. She is an integral part of the story but everything does not spin around her. You see the puzzle fitting together and can make intelligent guesses but the author brings in a twist of two. Though of a hard and disgusting subject matter (murder and rape), the author only provides what is necessary instead of sensationalizing the gruesome. I'm ready ...more
Kae Cheatham
Feb 18, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Bannister is an excellent writer. I don't think this story was as well crafted as Echoes of Lies. I got tired of Daniel being a punching bag. I didn't like the cutesy ending with Deacon and Brodie.
Again, I’m not sure why there’s a daughter. An unnecessary element.
Eileen Dent
This was a decent story with a few suprising moments. However, I'm unsure why this is a "Brodie Farrell (sp?)" mystery, since she played such a minor part in the story. Her role seemed to be as a background supporting character for Daniel Hood, and a to provide a romantic interest for Jack Deacon. I would consider either of the male characters to be more central to the story.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. This series is shaping up nicely and was a pleasant change after the very tedious Swedish mystery Room No. 10. I did notice that the first book had the highest rating so I hope that I won't agree as I read more.
Mary
Book two of Brodie Farrel series. Wanted to see if the second is better than the first. However, this title expired -- was borrowed from overdrive as an ebook. Didn't have time to finish. May try again in the future.
Mamatufy
Jan 30, 2016 Mamatufy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brodie-farrell
Brodie is drawn into an investigation into the body that is pitched over the pier in front of her friend Daniel and her daughter. The ensuing mystery is complicated and intriguing. The bad guy is caught in the end but the resolution is pretty awful.
Jane Auringer Danjin
Poor Daniel; I don't know how he lives through it all. Very creative plot and it kept my attention all the way through to its unexpected ending.
Andrew & Bethany Owens
Jun 11, 2008 Andrew & Bethany Owens rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
This book has a good plot and story line, but not the expressive or descriptive qualities of JK Rowling(but, who could be better than her?). However, the book did hold my interest throughout.
Cris
Aug 27, 2008 Cris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, british
Well-crafted mystery; Worthy continuation of 1st novel. Balances between a plot-driven & a character-driven story.
Maegan
May 15, 2010 Maegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
This is the second in the series and since I read the first and second in one day each you can see how much I loved them. Definately a series to check out.
Kelly Walker
2nd in a series but I think this is the last one for me. Can't stand the Daniel Hood character.
Sharon4
Sharon4 rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Lyn
Lyn rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Merna
Merna rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2008
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Bobphoo
Bobphoo rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Nancy Mazmanian
Nancy Mazmanian rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"punching bag?" 1 2 Aug 25, 2015 09:53AM
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • Scoop
  • Wolf in the Shadows
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • The Carbon Murder (Periodic Table, #6)
  • Everybody Kills Somebody Sometime
  • Elected for Death (Susan Henshaw, #10)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • Murder Fantastical (Inspector Henry Tibbett Mystery, #8)
  • Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2)
  • Drag Strip
  • Red Hook (Jack Leightner, #1)
  • Mrs. Malory and a Necessary End
  • Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • Lucky Stuff (Jane Wheel #8)
  • An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...

Brodie Farrell (9 books)
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • Reflections (Brodie Farrell #3)
  • The Depths of Solitude (Brodie Farrell #4)
  • Breaking Faith (Brodie Farrell #5)
  • Requiem for a Dealer (Brodie Farrell #6)
  • Flawed (Brodie Farrell #7)
  • Closer Still (Brodie Farrell #8)
  • Liars All (Brodie Farrell #9)