Start by marking “The Stolen Bride” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Bride

The Stolen Bride

(The Arthurian Mysteries #4)

Malgwyn ap Cuneglas is counselor to Arthur, High King of the Britons. When he accompanies his liege to the West to broker a deal between warring tribes they come across a scene of utmost depravity and murder to sicken even the most battle-hardened warrior. Things don't get any better when they finally arrive at their destination to discover that King Doged is fighting to ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Bride

Start your review of The Stolen Bride
Sallee
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another Arthurian mystery taking up where the last one left off although it can stand quite well on its own. If you enjoy reading about the times of Arthur and Merlin, you will enjoy this. Malgwyn, King Arthur's councilor is an unusual character that helps solve these complicated murder mysteries.
Justin
This review was first published in Historical Novel Review, where The Stolen Bride received the Editor's Choice distinction.

When Malgwyn accompanies King Arthur to help settle a dispute in Doged’s troubled lands, they arrive to find more than ambitious nobles and Saxons vying for the throne. If Arthur wants to keep Doged’s land in the fold, and the gold that might be found in its mines, then they must find some way to keep the peace. But when Doged is murdered, his young wife demands answers.
Joan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series has a great premise with interesting characters but Hays just isn't a very good writer. There are numerous continuity problems such as a character not being present in a particular scene but the character has dialogue anyway. Hays has never been very adept at smoothly providing the information needed from previous stories. He constantly repeats unnecessary information. He has some interesting plots but lacks the skill to write a compelling story.
Ruth
C2012. FWFTB: counsellor, crown, murdered, gold, savage.
Fortune favoured me by letting me be selected to receive this book as a giveaway.Thanks so much, Mr Hays. It was a bit slow going at first but then developed into an interesting plot. I did not find there to be much historical information imparted but a lot of back story. The language used at first seems a bit all olde Englishe and this is carried through into the synopsis eg “in a manner most savage”. . The reader is left in no doubt that
Amber
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time finishing this book. For me it was difficult to get into and keep reading. I was bombarded with a plethora of characters and events so interwoven and complex that I couldn't keep up. I must say, that I received this book free as a first look, and was very eager to read it. I love the period and legend. I would like to read more like this and by this author to see if it was the writing style, this story, or my over-loaded brain (as a teacher around test time). I feel I will try ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
Arthur is paying a visit to the southwest, to try to keep the peace between the local tribes. Unwillingly accompanying him is his counselor, Malgwyn, whose mate is expecting to give birth very shortly.

On the journey they find a village that has been attacked and destroyed — but who is responsible? One young woman, who reminds Malgwyn of his dead wife, is the sole survivor.

Upon their arrival, they find multiple factions all striving to become the heir to the elderly king — even though he has a
Phair
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the way Hays injects elements of the Arthurian legends into his stories in such a realistic way. Wonderful period feel- makes it easy to "see" his settings and action although I would have appreciated a better map to really orient myself in the story. The lone map supplied was fairly uninformative. And I could have benefited from a pronunciation guide for the many names like Ceawlin and Cilydd which I'm pretty sure are not pronounced the way they're spelled. Despite these minor ...more
Alan
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian, mystery
The fourth book in this series is at least as satisfying as it's predecessors, if not more. Again Malgwyn searches for the truth while following the twist and turns of events that threaten to bring down Arthur and his alliance. He continues to fight the good fight standing up to anyone who may get in the way of him finding out the truth, making both enemies and friends along the way. He again almost looses his life, but this time he submits to a trial which may end his life because his self ...more
Carol Gibson
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian
This was a great read. It is an Arthurian mystery. The author strives to make it is as real as possible so there is no magic. He also makes it as historical accurate as possible so you see a Britain that is a about 30 years after the Romans have left but you still see a lot of Roman ways. The author peppers the novel with Roman words. This is the fourth in a series I have not read the others but I didn't have any trouble following things mentioned before.
Gene
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers, I enjoy how Hays combines historical post-Roman Britain, Arthurian lore, and character-based mystery.

Hays does rely on traditional tropes of struggling romance, political betrayal, and scheming villains, but Malgwyn is an interesting protagonist. The author's depiction of Arthurian Britain has relatively few anachronisms compared with most versions from Malory onward.

I agree that some last-minute rescues seem repetitive, but the overall plot is satisfying.
Ron
Tony Hays continues develop Malgwyn ap Cuneglas as an investigator of the mysterious deaths that occurred in the realm of Arthur, Rigotomas of the British people. This tale touches upon the birth of Arthur during the investigation of the murder of a nobleman. Interesting series.
Kara
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king-arthur, mystery

Twice, TWICE, in this book, a sort-of-innocent character is mere SECONDS away from being beheaded and then a rider gallops in with Very Important Information at the LAST MOMENT that frees one character and condemns another. Tony Hays - this is getting old hat.
Kate
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very good. Now I have to figure out which other books he has written that I've read and read the remaining ones... He does his research but is open about the liberties he takes and doesn't let any of it get in the way of the story. I approve.
Mslogar
I just could not get into this book-- I thought it was boring
Sandy
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a detective mystery set in time of King Arthur.
Meril
Mar 22, 2012
Melissa Richardson
Jun 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13)
  • Sulfur Springs (Cork O'Connor, #16)
  • Cold Wind (Joe Pickett, #11)
  • The Women of Christmas
  • Desolation Mountain (Cork O'Connor, #17)
  • Manitou Canyon (Cork O'Connor, #15)
  • Windigo Island (Cork O'Connor, #14)
  • Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett, #12)
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • Nowhere To Run (Joe Pickett, #10)
  • Below Zero (Joe Pickett, #9)
A native of Madison, Tennessee, Tony spent his teenage years on a farm about 10 miles southeast of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Although he had dreamed of being a writer since childhood, it was only after a brief career as a university administrator that he began to come into his own. Initially, he was awarded an undergraduate degree in history and a MA in educational psychology from Tennessee ...more

The Arthurian Mysteries (5 books)
  • The Killing Way (Arthurian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Divine Sacrifice (Arthurian Mysteries, #2)
  • The Beloved Dead (Arthurian Mysteries, #3)
  • The Redempton Path (Arthurian Mysteries #3.5)