Start by marking “Chasing the Skip” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Skip

Chasing the Skip

Ricki's dad has never been there for her. He's a bounty hunter who spends his time chasing parole evaders—also known as "skips"—all over the country. But now since Ricki's mom ran off, Ricki finds herself an unwilling passenger in a front-row seat to her father's dangerous lifestyle.

Ricki's feelings get even more confused when her dad starts chasing seventeen-year-old Ian
Published October 2nd 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Skip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Skip

Start your review of Chasing the Skip
Heather
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Check out all reviews at http;//www.flyleafreview.com

3.5/5 Stars

Chasing the Skip, was a different book than I expected it to be. After reading the synopsis, my mind zeroed in on a couple of things: bounty hunters and a teenage felon, who may or may not be a good guy, who has skipped out on his bond. So what I was kind of expecting was a teenage Bonnie and Clyde type of story. The good girl falls for the bad boy when her father apprehends him, and in turn goes on the run with him. Maybe they knoc
Abigail Endsley
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This review is also available on www.ThinkyRead.com. Check out the blog for more awesome, thought-provoking book analyses!

I can't make up my mind with this book. I picked it up from Amazon after listening to Janci's guest appearance on my favorite Podcast, Writing Excuses. The plot sounded interesting and I do like YA, so I gave it a try. However, as I said... I still don't know how I feel about it.

Unlike a lot of YA I read, this one sounded really... young. I enjoyed Ricki's voice and found her
Jacquellyn
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sometimes you just don't enjoy a book. I was asking myself why I kept reading it, but I always believed it was going to get better. When will I learn?

It was immature...even for a teen book. The girl was a whiner and complainer and nobody wanted her. Ok ok. I get it. Blah blah blah. It was just boring. The blurb sounded so good and then the book was such a let down.

Oh well...on to the next!
Tiffany
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a trip...get it trip..no ok then LOL Review coming soon ^_^

EDIT 2/20/13

Ricki’s dad is a bounty hunter who chases fugitives that he calls “Skips”. Which is becomes ironic when Ricki’s mom skips out on her. Does her dad try to find her mom? No. He makes her go on his hunts with him, which is fine by her b/c she always dreamed of going with him. But the thing is, she doesn’t want to be a burden to him and wants to leave. When he dad’s next skip is a 17 year old boy, Ricki decides sh
ILoveBooks
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ricki's family is broken. Her dad is a bounty hunter who never seems to have enough time for her while her mom ran off and has since ignored her. Ricki isn't happy and feels like no one cares about her. She is at that critical age where she cares if someone isn't caring about her. When she meets Ian, as teen that her dad is hunting, she finds herself drawn to him, but is she mature enough to know Ian's true intentions?

Ricki is a different character than what I was used to. Half the time I felt b
Ruth
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, merely because this isn't usually the kind of book I read, so I didn't LOVE it the way I would have otherwise. But I'm giving it the official 5th star because so many of the other reviews are making me mad by rating it lower because it wasn't what they hoped it would be (a romance) when what it was, it did well. Maybe it's the marketing that's the issue?

Anyway, I read the whole thing in one day and got to a point where I couldn't put it down. This has strong characters, solid dialogue
Desiree
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its her first book, but really good! I loved it! I seriously could'nt put it down.
Korynne
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because I heard the author give a lecture at my university that was about writing and getting published, and I became interested in her. I found this first book of hers at a book sale and decided to pick it up based on my previous experience hearing her speak. This novel isn't really my style, and I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise, but I'm glad I gave it the chance and decided to read it.

We follow teen girl Ricki, who ends up on a road trip with her dad, who's a
Esther Simon
Charlotte Frick
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sande
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jancie, well done. I finally got to read your book. It kept me engaged and anxious as to what would happen next. Great jo. I love suspenseful novels.
Karen
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skipped is about a teenager whose mother has abandoned her and left her with a father she doesn’t know. She’s forced to deal with all the changes in her life while driving around with her father whose job is to find people who have “skipped” out on their bail. This is an enjoyable, well written, short story with realistic characters dealing with unusual circumstances. Suitable for teens and young adults.
Kathy Martin
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the kind of contemporary story that really touched my heart. Ricki is on the road with the father she barely knows because her Mom took off and has been gone a month. Ricki's Mom has done this sort of thing before. But she is usually only gone for a week at a time and Ricki goes to her Grandmother's. Ricki is only fifteen but she is used to being the responsible one in their mother-daughter relationship.

Ricki's dad is a bounty hunter. When she was little, she used to make up stories abo
Elle (Ligia)
Oh my! It looks like I'm having a bit of bad luck when it comes to books this week. I'm going to rate this one 3 stars because even though it was sort of good it wasn't what I expected and I'm left a little disappointed.

For what I've been reading in reviews after I finished I'm not the only one that expected some sort of cute story about a bad boy and a girl with family problems. And it was that, for the most part.

Ricki has some serious family problems. Her mother just went poof on her, her gran
Kinsey
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was really excited about this book. I've never read a book about a bounty hunter, and one with a teenage girl tagging along sounded awesome. It just sounded so Charley Davidson like I was waiting for her butt-kicking grim reaper self to drag Reyes into the picture with her. Sadly, I was thoroughly disappointed.

As I said in my last post, I was at a camp at an amazing place for a little while. Before I actually got to go to the place we were staying, a few other people and I who came early stay
Rachael
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
For most of her life, it’s just been Ricki and her mom, and that’s the way Ricki likes it. But when her mom takes off for an extended vacation, Ricki finds herself living with her father for the first time. As a bounty hunter, he’s always spent more time chasing down criminals evading parole than with her, and Ricki isn’t really too thrilled that he’s now back in her life. Why should she have to do homework while he goes after skips? She’d much rather be taking notes on this real life action, ho ...more
Paige Bradish
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book from DAC ARC Tours for an honest review.

The reason I decided I wanted to read this book Is because I love watching TV shows about bounty hunters so I figured I would enjoy books about them too and boy was I right! Ricki is a 15 year old girl and one day her mom just up and leaves her. Now this isn’t totally uncommon because her mom disappears a lot but what’s different about this time is that her mother doesn’t come back this time and Ricki ends up having to tag along with
Debbie Narh
After reading 200 pages of this novel, I gave up and skimmed the rest. I'm glad I did because from the reviews I've read about this, I didn't miss much. Chasing The Skip had an interesting story line and okay idea, I was hoping to like it. But instead I was left with very stiff, annoying characters and a very disorganized story. There isn't anything that stood out to me in a good way because I couldn't get over the way Ricki acts throughout the whole story.

Ricki, throughout the books constantly
Princess Bookie
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2012
My Thoughts: So, I've had this on my TBR pile for a while and every time I glanced at it, I thought it was titled Chasing The Ship, so in my mind I thought it was about ships. Boy was I wrong! LOL

We are introduced to Ricki who always lived with her mom, until one day she doesn’t anymore. Her mom takes off and she ends up having to spend time with her father, on the road. He’s a bounty hunter (more or less) and she’s stuck with him finding people and throwing them into jail.

It’s pretty entertaini
Dorine White
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The Story-
Ricki's mom has left her alone, not for the first time, but definitely the longest. So long, that Ricki's absentee dad is brought into the picture, and Ricki finds herself tagging along with him as he hunts down dead beats.

The life of a bounty hunter isn't all glitz and glamour. Ricki is dragged along as her dad chases Ian Burnham, a hot guy her age. She can't help but be attracted to the dark eyed stranger, but what if he is as bad as her daddy says?

My Thoughts-
I found the book intere
Jennifer Ellision
Posted to Almost Grown-up:

Chasing the Skip is a prime example of why you should strive to go into a novel without any preconceptions. My expectation: a book with a little swoon… perhaps a bad boy with a heart of gold playing the love interest.

I was wrong.

Our main character Ricki is, in a lot of ways, a typical teenager. She thinks of herself as more of an adult than she really is. She’s a little vulnerable, which she hides by way of snark. She’s lived with her mom all of her life and her dad ha
Cathy
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
First let me start off by saying that this cover is really great and it intrigued me completely. It's the reason I wanted to read the book. I almost thought this would be a budding romance between the hunted and the hunter, but really I think this book focused more on family.

We meet Ricki who is now spending time with her father because her mom left and hadn't come back yet. He's a bounty hunter and decides to take her along after all he has to do his job. During this trip they try and kindle a
Sally Kruger
Ricki is used to her mother taking off. Usually it's after she meets a new boyfriend, and she's back before long. This time it has been weeks since Ricki has seen her mom. Staying with her grandmother isn't too bad, but this time her grandmother calls for reinforcements. Ricki's dad shows up to pick her up.

The story Ricki's been told is that her dad left before Ricki's mom even knew she was pregnant. Since then he has sent regular child support payments and stopped by a few times, but he certain
Karissa
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-2013
Ricki has been abandoned by her mother. Now she's stuck riding shotgun while her father, a bounty hunter, catches criminals. Her father has never been a huge part of her life, and Ricki doesn't really appreciate having to be stuck with him right now. She has a best friend and a boyfriend that she's left behind and is anxious to get back to. Who knows what her boyfriend is up to while she's gone? But her mom will be back any day now. All Ricki has to do is wait it out.

Then her dad picks up Ian,
Shannon
Chasing the Skip. By: Seglin, Shannon, School Library Journal, 03628930, Nov2012, Vol. 58, Issue 11.

Chasing the Skip PATTERSON, Janci. 228p. CIP. Holt/Christy Ottaviano. 2012. Tr $16.99. ISBN 978-0-8050-9391-9; ebook $9.99. ISBN 978-0-8050-9637-8. LC 2012006164.

Gr 8 Up-Ricki's mom has run off, and the 15-year-old finds herself with her estranged father, who is a bounty hunter. He makes a living chasing parole evaders, also known as "skips," across the United States. Ricki believes he abandoned h
Dani
I really loved this book. Ricki is now one of my favorite characters.

When Ricki and Ian grew closer I was a bit confused. I was wondering how, in the span of a few days, they got more attracted to one another. Being two years apart in age, I knew that Ian had a slight advantage. It didn't really surprise me when Ian used her as an escape route to prison.

The conversations between Ricki and her father were serious and humorous. I liked how she was clever and reserved towards him. It was a shock
James Powell
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: debut-novels
On the surface, Janci Patterson’s debut novel, Chasing the Skip, is about the adventures the father/daughter team of bounty hunters get into on the road. And it’s quite effective in that regard, with the right amount of action and danger to keep the story moving forward and keeping it lively.

Yet what sets this novel apart is that there’s so much more to it than just the budding Bonnie and Clyde story. The importance of family bonds, or lack there of, is portrayed throughout the novel. Ricki’s mo
The BookWhisperer
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't really know what it was that I expected from this story, but I am just so darn frustrated that this wasn't it. I have been anxiously awaiting Chasing the Skip for months, but I discovered very shortly into it that I was in for a surprise. I think what I expected from the synopsis would have been more of a romance with a young girl and bad boy skip that just happened to cross paths. What it seems I revealed actually was a head strong little girl that has had a rotten life. For years her f ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • Along for the Ride
  • Private (Private, #1)
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • More Than a Number
  • Sinners (Pawns of Patience, #1)
  • What Happened to Goodbye
  • Just Listen
  • All That's Been Said (The Carlington Twins Duet, #2)
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • All That's Left (The Carlington Twins Duet, #1)
  • Fault Line
  • Darklight (Darklight #1)
  • Let Me List the Ways
  • Paint Me a Monster
  • One by One
Janci Patterson writes fantasy, science fiction, and contemporary young adult novels. Janci lives in Orem, Utah, with her husband, Drew Olds, and their children. Janci's first science fiction novel, A Thousand Faces, is available for free from all e-book vendors. Visit Janci at her website, www.jancipatterson.com, to join her reader's group for access to another free novel, her middle grade Search ...more