Start by marking “The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)

The Eye of the World

(The Wheel of Time #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  391,812 ratings  ·  12,628 reviews
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of P
Published May 8th 2012 by Tor Books (first published January 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the World, please sign up.
Rebekah Both are the first book in a long series, set in a richly developed fantasy world. Both will require commitment to read. If you read A Song of Ice and…moreBoth are the first book in a long series, set in a richly developed fantasy world. Both will require commitment to read. If you read A Song of Ice and Fire, you will throw your books across the room when your favorite characters are killed off. You will turn away in disgust at rape, child murder, incest, and mutilation. If you read Wheel of Time, you will slog through long chapters of unnecessary detail. Both original authors have not been able to finish their epic series, but Robert Jordan died and Brandon Sanderson finished it for him! If you can only read one, I would read the one that has been completed. Or go read Mistborn! Man, Sanderson knows how to finish a series. (less)
Nanksy I would recommend both. Jordan is very wordy but on a level that will improve your vocabulary and your mental faculties. For those who say it is Tolke…moreI would recommend both. Jordan is very wordy but on a level that will improve your vocabulary and your mental faculties. For those who say it is Tolkein derivative, I am puzzled. Did you read past the first book? Jordan builds a world that is very complex and will strain your ability to keep multiple plots and characters in mind. It takes patience to get through the entire series as many new story lines and characters get introduced in each succeeding book. Overall it is worth it to finish the series. As for ASOIAF, I loved the first book and the characters . It is a series that leaves you guessing and not always liking the way events unfold. If you have watched the TV, Game of Thrones and think ASOIAF is the same story, forget it. The biggest problem I have is that it takes so long for the next book to come out. I am completely out of patience for the 6th. book. If you don't like waiting pick another series.(less)

·  391,812 ratings  ·  12,628 reviews

Start your review of The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
J.G. Keely
May 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first series that showed it was possible to do an uninspired rewrite of Tolkien and make a mint was Shannara. After that the doors were flung wide, and the next to profit off the scheme was was Robert Jordan. Of course, I'm not suggesting it's bad to take inspiration from older authors--all authors do this, as Virgil did from Homer, and Milton from Virgil, and Byron from Milton. Tolkien himself drew on the Norse Eddas, Welsh myths, English fairy tales, and Blake's myth-making.

But when a skil
unknown
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to unknown by: Brian
Shelves: paternity-leave
Paternity leave reading for 3 a.m. crying jags. (Mine and hers.)

---

There, Brian. I read it. Are you happy?

My friend Brian has been telling me to read The Wheel of Time for years. It always went like this:

Brian: You should read The Wheel of Time. It's really good.
Me: I've heard that it gets really, really bad.
B: The first seven books are really outstanding.
M: Yeah, I'm not going to read seven books without an ending.
B: The first one is good but the second one is better.
M: Mmm. I don't know.
B: T
Petrik
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

Here it is, I’m riding the winds of time! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Another massive fantasy series to finish, a new epic adventure to undertake. Like many modern fantasy readers, the last three books finished by Brandon Sanderson played a huge motivational drive in my attempt to start and finish The Wheel of Time. I honestly find this series to be even more intimidating than Malazan Book of the Fallen due to the sheer number of word counts in it. To give a bit of information on how intimidating t
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
10/20/20 - I got the anniversary hardback edition and it’s so beautiful 😫 and the map and the little ribbon!

5 Stars Damn It 😘

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

That was an amazing little journey. I'm going to give it my all to make this a good enough review, but I kinda doubt it because this book is too great for my measly little words :-)

WELCOME TO THE WORLD KNOWN AS THE WHEEL OF TIME

Since I'm not good at explaining certain things, I'm so glad the author put a glossary in the back of the bo
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

It's hard for me to review this book, and only this book, objectively, b/c:

1. WoT is my favorite high fantasy series. Ever.
2. I've read the first eight books seven or eight times, maybe more (*whispers
Sean Barrs
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 5-star-reads
Robert Jordan copied Tolkien but, I just don’t care. What I mean is that his writing shouldn’t be judged on this single fact. Yes, Jordan has borrowed aspects of Tolkien’s middle earth; yes, he has blatantly reworked many aspects, but he has also infused it with a few of his own original ideas. The result is a fantasy universe that resembles Tolkien’s and, in some ways, transcends it.

Not completely original, but completely brilliant

description

I found that Jordan’s world wasn’t as obvious as Tolkien’s. I
Markus
"And the Shadow fell upon the land, and the world was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

And it came to pass in those days, as it
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: Navessa
2 stars for the benefit of the doubt, because I DNFed this shit at page 10. This is my new record.

Look, I'm sorry. This is another one of those Lord-of-the-Rings moment where I appreciate the effort, but this is not for me. Within the short amount that I read, I had names and random bits of history thrown at me and maybe it's because it's this early in the morning, but I nearly fell asleep and I honestly can't recall anything that I've read. I have a feeling I'd have a better time reading a text
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
With the Amazon show coming... I guess I don't have any excuses anymore and I need to put up my copy soon!
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Book One of my epic buddy read of the Wheel of Time world with Branwen Sedai, one of the nicest people of OUR world! :D

From the Eye of the World, you can see just how much danger the world is really in!

(That's not in the book, I just made that up myself. Don't worry, Robert Jordan's writing isn't nearly as cheesy as mine!)

Life in the village of Emond's Field had always been peaceful. Sure, the people sometimes argued, as families do from time to time. But ultimately, the village was a tight-kni
Mika
Sep 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this by saying very clearly that I mean no offense to The Wheel of Time fans. It’s just my opinion, yes? Just my humble opinion.

So. Simply put: I hate this book. Somewhat passionately. The Romgi will attest to the fact that while I was reading I would mutter to myself about how ridiculous the plot was or how much I hated dragging myself through all 800+ pages. But I carried on.

The main character, Rand, was so uninteresting that I honestly didn’t care what happened to him, nor do I
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I would like to start out by saying: don’t let my conservative rating scare you off from this series. At least 75% of customers I talk to about fantasy rank this series in their top 3, if not their #1. I am definitely the minority here, as the book didn’t even make my top 20.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a classic that deserves its place as one of the all-time fantasy greats, it just happened to have some elements that I personally didn’t care for. As the beginning of an epic quest not unlike t
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
*SPOILER FREE*

You know that thing that happens with your favorite series? You know, that thing. Someone either asks you about it, or you sit down to try and write a review for one of the installments, and all you say or type is dying animal noises. Kinda like this:

"Navessa, what did you think of this book?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNNAAAAACCCCC"
"Um...are you okay?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNNAAAAACCCCC"
"Are you having some sort of fit right now? Do I need to call someone?"
"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHNNNNNNNNN
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Review first posted at Fantasy Literature:

The massive length, not only of The Eye of the World itself but the entire epic WHEEL OF TIME fantasy series, along with some differences in critical opinion regarding the literary worth of this series, has always daunted me. But I thought I owed it to myself to read at least this first book and judge for myself, so when the Buddies, Books and Baubles group here at Goodreads decided to buddy read the series, I was happy to seize the opportunit
Merphy Napier
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
here's my video review where I give three pros and three cons (plus spoiler discussion) https://youtu.be/tUa7-tafdoA ...more
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It was early 1993. I picked up a free sample of this book at our university book store and promptly forgot about it (finals). I dug it up later and read it. The free sample ended just as things started to get interesting, so I went to a library and borrowed a full book. Little did I suspect of what I stumble into.

The most developed world of any fantasy books (OK, except Tolkien's Middle Earth). The most complex plot of any fantasy - bar none. A very long journey. This is a beginning of this jou
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Epically Epic Buddy Read with the BBB gang

Friendly warning: this book is looooonnng. How short do you think my review is going to be? That's right, time to do the "get a snack, grab a drink, we're going to be here for a while" thing

Friendly warning #2 (view spoiler): I seem to have recently contracted Acute Acronymitis Syndrome (AAS™). So prepare for a Painful Onslaught of Acronyms (POA™)

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Yeah Yeah yeah, I kn
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I have heard of 'The Wheel of Time' from my cousin, Brandon Sanderson, the readers and my Goodreads friend. When I have became a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. My cousin is a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson too. He told me that Brandon Sanderson ha
Matthew
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Shelves: own, fantasy, 2019
If you like fantasy stories with lots of wandering around, have I got the book for you!

The Eye of the World has:

-Roving
-Trekking
-Jaunting
-Roaming
-Sneaking

And, occasionally

-Stops in cities, castles, etc. for a few pages

Just kidding! But, really, I am not! 😊

I did enjoy this book, but the majority of it is discussion between characters while they are travelling long distances to both escape baddies and make their way to mystical places. While I don’t believe they actually make it anywhere they were
Mayim de Vries
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Always men think it a new war, but it is just the same war discovered anew.”

This wheel, once it starts rolling, rolls at a sedate pace of continental drift. But - you want to know - is it just rolling or is it eye-rolling that I have in mind. Well, for most of the time it does roll smoothly.

[Just to warn you: this is going to be a long one. But if you plan to embark on a 14-book-long journey, a lengthy review should not be a problem, right? That’s what I keep telling myself.]

Ahem.

In Two River
Allison
It's really difficult for me to write an unbiased review of this because there's a fair bit of nostalgia involved for me. I began reading The Wheel of Time in 1995, and it was the first fantasy series that I really fell in love with. It captured my heart and held my imagination for a long, long time. I re-read the series over the years as new books were released up until Robert Jordan died - it was too heartbreaking that he wasn't able to finish it himself and I've waited until the series is fin ...more
Justin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time through this thing, and I will actually continue this series this time around. Here’s my 2028 review:

Well, ladies and gentlemen, gleemen and Aes Sedai, Darkfriends and Wisdom, boy did this book hit me at the right time.

I was bumbling around town like I always do. I was in this weird time in my life just wandering around thinking about books and what I should read next. I was parading down the cold streets with a warm beverage, wearing a sweater, considering my options, sipping my la
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle Daily Deal 26Apr19 $2.99

2016 is The Year of the Wheel for me, I'm reading a book a month in this series. Yes I know that will take me into 2017 but I don't care. Brandon Sanderson was influenced by Robert Jordan and finished out the series for him so it must be good.

Reading with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles and Sanctum of Fantasy.

Great intro into a series. RTC
Em Lost In Books
I was so scared to start this series for two reasons 1) of course, 14 tomes are scary! 2) I have seen many people grumbling about those middle books are slow. This is such a huge series and reading people grouch about 8-10 is not a good sign since reading 7 tomes is huge task. But then one can’t know until they try. Right? Hence I took the plunge and started Jordan’s colossal work.

First thing first, Eye of the World takes its inspirations from Middle-Earth is plain to see. Right from the start
Dan Schwent
Dec 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this book was the one that put me off fantasy for years afterwards. Part of me was slightly interested in how the whole thing was going to end but it was over-ruled by the knowledge of nine books (at the time) after this one that I was going to have to push through. The story itself is such a fantasy cliche. Kid finds out he's the chosen one, has to defeat the big bad. I liked that story the first couple of times I read it. The characters are unlik ...more
Sara
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wauw ,🤩 I realy enjoyed this quest with rand and the crew ,I love story's where they are traveling and having a old grand adventure , I read a lot that this is compared to j.r. tolkien but I don't mind that 🤷‍♀️, My only hope is that this serie better be worth it because it is massive but we will see , for now is this realy good if you love ' high' fantasy and great world building , 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Ivan
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DNF @50

3 years after I finished this book and a year after I DNF-ed the third one I decided to give this series another chance. Obviously that didn't end well. My initial rating was 3 stars than 2 after editing and now 1 since that is what DNF-ed books get.

There is interesting worldbuilding here and potentially good heroic tale but I just can't look past so many annoying characters and this time around was even worse because I knew they become even more annoying. Jordan couldn't write non-obnox
Holden Johnson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills"

The Eye of the World, the first epic fantasy book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, provided me with exactly the kind of experience I expected from it.
1. An old school fantasy feel.
2. Lots of intense descriptions on every small detail that normally my brain just tries to ignore and piece together itself.
3. Tons and tons of traveling. (No campfire is left to the imagination)
4. Enough epicness to prove that it is truly one of the greats.

Readin
Deborah Obida

"The wheel weaves as the wheel wills."

If I would have read this book years ago I know I would have rated it higher, I'm way experience when it comes to fantasy and this one is so predictable. Despite the few surprises everything that the characters experienced and happened were like they were following a map. It was way to easy, I would have liked more hindrances and complications. The book is way too slow with tons of internal monologue which I despise.

With the negative out of the
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

And so we are ushered into the magnificent world that Robert
You'll love this ...: The Eye of the World 88 37 Oct 09, 2020 10:43AM
Know any good WOT fanfiction? 7 104 Sep 26, 2020 03:51PM
/lit/ posting: Wheel of Time 4 7 Aug 30, 2020 08:53AM
Gilda del Corvo: GDL - WoT #1 - L'Occhio del Mondo 56 35 Aug 26, 2020 05:05AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Eye of the World [Feb 2, 2020] 211 111 Aug 20, 2020 06:25PM
Lochy's Book Club: The Eye of the World - 1-5 2 4 Jun 25, 2020 05:27AM

• The Octunnumi Fosbit Files Prologue
  • First Encounter
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • Glass World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 13)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Artemis
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)

Articles featuring this book

“I will hate the man you choose because he isn't me, and love him if he makes you smile.” 482 likes
“Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.” 301 likes