Start by marking “Penguin and Pinecone” as Want to Read:
Penguin and Pinecone

Penguin and Pinecone (Penguin)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,860 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
When curious Penguin finds a lost pinecone in the snow, their friendship grows into something extraordinary!
Published October 2nd 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published October 1st 2012)

Rebekah
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, clean, 2016
Cutest book! And the illustrations are absolutely adorable!
Jeremy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story illustrates the bittersweet task of supporting the people we love, even if it means losing them.

Penguin is having lots of fun with his new friend Pinecone, but when he realizes that Pinecone can't grow up big and strong planted in the ice, he carries him on his sled, all the way home to the forest. But just as the ice is no place for a pinecone, a forest is no place for a penguin, so Penguin has to leave Pinecone behind.

This also applies to more intimate relationships: We all thrive
Bethany
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1. Opening: I would begin reading: One day penguin found a curious object. What do you think it is? What do you think he will do with it? Can you be friends with objects/things? What do you think he will do with his new friend? Listen as I read Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon. When I am done reading be ready to answer if the story turned out how you expected.

2. Opening moves: read some of the text to engage attention. Foreshadow the problem of the story, and alert students to unusual litera
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Penguin finds Pinecone, he learns that he needs to take his friend to the forest for him to thrive. After he drops his friend off, he is sad and fondly thinks of his friend. He decides to visit Pinecone to see if he has grown big and strong as well. Pinecone has grown into a glorious pine, complete with the scarf that Penguin had knit for him.

A charming, thoughtful story. Perfect for kids aged 4 - 6 who miss someone who has moved away. "Penguin and Pinecone may have been far apart, but the
RH Walters
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is as cute as its title, and uses a few simple elements to convey a world of heart.
Edward Sullivan
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A delightfully simple, heartwarming story with a beautiful message.
Briana
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable, sweet story about a penguin who finds a pinecone and befriends it. Their friendship evolves and becomes distant but remains very special, too. Great book!!!
Nancy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ378-spring
Text-to-Teaching
This book teaches the value of friendship. After reading this book, I would have the children do a writing activity answering the question what have you done for a friend.
In the book the penguin knits the pinecone a scarf, then takes him to the forest where he can grow.
I would help the children understand that doing nice things for friends helps friendship grow.
There are a lot of crafts that could be done after reading this book. If you read it to a group of older students you c
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is one of the cutest books you can read to your child.

Penquin finds a Pinecone, befriends him and even knits him a scarf to keep him warm. The Penquin decides he has to take Pinecone home because he is cold and not growing like he should because of the snow. As sad as it makes Penquin, he makes the best choice for his friend by letting go.

This little board book teaches love, sharing, caring and putting others before yourself even if it makes you sad. More than once it made me sniffle at t
Britta
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A simple but lovely story about friendship and love between two very different creatures, a penguin and a pinecone. The penguin learns that the pinecone cannot live and grow in the cold place that the penguin lives, and he returns him to the forest. Later, he travels back to find that he's grown into a giant pine tree. The author manages to express deep feelings of love with beautiful little objects and actions. The story quietly teaches lessons about diversity, biological development, friendshi ...more
Kelsey
Age: Toddler - preschool

When it brought two librarians to tears with how sweet it was, you know it's a keeper.

This is such a great story of an unlikely friendship that, unfortunately, could not be kept because pine cones cannot live on the ice and penguins cannot live in the forest. Even with this reality, Penguin and Pinecone share fond memories up until the moment Penguin drops Pinecone off in the forest. Still in his/her heart, Penguin goes to find his friend after much time has passed. The
Samantha
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Penguin finds a pinecone he befriends it and tries to protect it from the cold and snow before realizing that the pinecone would be better off in the forest. Penguin makes a journey to the forest and sets up a happy home for the pinecone to grow into a tree. Later, Penguin visits his old frined and the two friends play as only a penguin and pinecone can.

A beautiful friendship story that will warm your heart. Good read aloud. Art is rendered digitally in Photoshop.
Susan
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I read this today (having forgotten that I read it years ago) and had to up my star rating. It was so sweet!! Maybe having a little kid now makes me more susceptible to the charms of picture books? UGH IT WAS SO ADORABLE. The penguin knits a freakin' tiny scarf for a pinecone!! What's not to love?!?!
Jessica
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Utterly, utterly charming! Every page made me stop and go, "AWWWW!" The words are few and the illustrations are simple, yet Yoon perfectly conveys a truly precious story of love and friendship. Both my 8yo and 4yo instantly fell in love with Penguin, and his beloved Pinecone! As an added bonus: Penguin knits!
Jess
A wonderful story of friendship. Penguin meets Pinecone and they become friends even though they can't stay together on the ice where Penguin lives. An excellent read aloud and would be perfect for storytime. Enjoyed reading this one to Nora, one to add to my picture book wishlist.
Nessie
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Loved this! Such a sweet book! This is great for all kids, and has such touching moments.
Rachel Watkins
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This sweet picture book features a penguin who likes to knit! Read it for a story of everlasting friendship told with colorful illustrations.
Karen
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Cute book about loving one another. Recommended by our librarian friend who also goes to CBS with us..krb 3/30/16
OneCity OneLibrary
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Used this alongside a non-fiction book called A Baby Penguin Story by Martha Rustad to introduce grades K-1 to the concept of Fiction vs. Non-fiction. Great story! - KO
Donalyn
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Adore this book for its sweet illustrations and beautiful message, and because my thirteen year old gushed over it and insisted on her own copy:)
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Exceptional book about friendship. Very heartwarming. Big pictures and few words.
Brigette
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
How adorable is this book! If you haven't picked it up yet, I suggest you take a few minutes to appreciate love and friendship.
Mahoshy Carter
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So cute ❤ ...more
April Thompson
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When you give love, it grows. Adorable story!
Linda
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorably quirky. A penguin finding a pinecone friend, knitting a scarf for it, and taking it carefully home. The pictures are simple and cute. A lovely friendship story.
Rodolfo
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animalitos
Beautiful story of friendship and its contagious effects.
Danielle Winter
"When you give love, it grows" isn't just a saying. Readers will adore Penguin's dedication to return his new friend, Pinecone, to the forest. Although these friends can't thrive in the same habitat, Penguin visits Pinecone who has grown into a beautiful pine tree. They play together until Penguin has to go home, and although they live far apart they "always stayed in each other's hearts."
The illustrations are perfect for any household that loves snowy forests and unlikely friendships.
London
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books are so cute! I'm not that young, and I still picked this book up at our library just from looking at the front. The story is sweet, and the art is adorable! I loved little Penguin so much, that I tried to sew a stuffed animal of him. The book is easy to read, so I assume that it was written for younger audiences, but that doesn't stop me from reading it!
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet book about a penguin who finds a pinecone and cares for it, to the point of trekking to a place where the pinecone can thrive and leaving it there in a pine needle bed with a nice knitted scarf as a gift.

Later, the penguin returns to find the pinecone grown into a tree.
Lori
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute short story board book, called and about Penguin and Pinecone. My toddler nephew and I find pinecones regularly on our walks and so it was very relatable and easy for him to understand. It has such a cute ending. I loved it!
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Oliver
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Ribbit!
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • A Home for Bird
  • The Black Rabbit
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • Oh, No!
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an
More about Salina Yoon

Penguin (9 books)
  • Penguin on Vacation
  • Penguin in Love
  • Penguin Gets Dressed!
  • Penguin Gets Ready for Bed!
  • Penguin Goes to the Farm!
  • Penguin and Pumpkin