Start by marking “The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Fellowship of the Ring

(The Lord of the Rings #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  2,321,916 ratings  ·  22,036 reviews
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkeness bind them

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth,
Kindle Edition, 2 Sub Rei edition, 432 pages
Published February 15th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Fellowship of the Ring, please sign up.
Gerry Bevers I think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagi…moreI think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagine yourself hiking through the Old Forest, remembering the old stories you had heard about it, and wondering who or what made the trail you are following.

I see Tom Bombadil and Lady Goldberry as adding to the mystery of the forest. They are meant to stimulate our imagination and cause us to wonder about their origin and history, cause us to ask questions about them. They are like the ruins of the castles and fortresses along the way that cause us to wonder who once lived there. They are like the blue-stoned brooch Tom Bombadil found among the treasure in the burial mound of the Borrow-wight, the brooch that causes us to wonder about the woman to whom it once belonged. They are there to remind us that the history of the world goes back many lifetimes and is full of mystery.(less)
Anne-Marie If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone…more
If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.(less)

·  2,321,916 ratings  ·  22,036 reviews

Start your review of The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Never have I been so sad to give a low rating to such a revered book. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

Again, I'm so sorry, but I found this book unbelievably dull. I really am so, so sorry. I'm desperately sad about this. This series has been such a foundation for modern-day fantasy that I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for not liking this. I have always wanted to be a Tolkien fangirl. I've always wanted to learn Elvish and get completely offended à la Stephen Colbert but I ca
Lyndz
I refuse to write a review for one of the best books ever written. Asking a serious fantasy fan to write a review for Lord of the Rings is like asking a Christian to write a review for The Bible.
So instead I will supply you with this graph:
J.G. Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
Voldemort
As a single lady myself, I also love to put a ring on it. And shoutout to my homegurl Sauron!!! you go girl take over middle earth! Reach for the stars! With that balrog on your side you can do anything!
That main dude Frodo tho... reminds me of dat boi Harry... besides what does he need the ring for??
Anyways I gotta give it a low rating cuz theres 2 much frodo, not enough orcs
Sean Barrs
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads, tolkien
I’m not going to write a normal review; it’s almost impossible for a fantasy fan to do so in this case. Instead I’m going to give you a series of ten points to explain exactly why I love this particular book. Take from it what you will. There will be spoilers. Here goes:

1. The wizards!

"“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Now I do love wizards. Who doesn’t? The wisdom of Gandalf is unmatched. He is, in effect, the leader of the forces of light. He
Petrik
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The crownless again shall be king.”

As someone who’ve read more than three hundred fantasy novels, it may come as a surprise to many people that this is, in fact, the first time I managed to finish reading The Fellowship of th
Jonathan
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by Sauron

Hello. You may remember me as the title character of the Lord of Rings. I go by a lot of names: Dark Lord of Mordor, Sorcerer, Red Eye, Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Ring-maker and Base Master of Treachery (I use that one in my band). I actually object to Tolkien's chosen name of Sauron, which I understand originates from an adjective that means "foul, putrid" in his crappy invented language. What can I say, the showers in Mordor a
Matt
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really "cool" back in high school. I never made out with girls under the bleachers, or smoked under the bleachers, or did any of the other things under the bleachers that - I am lead to believe - the popular kids did. Instead, I maintained a low profile and waited for the teenage years - that wilderness of strangled thinking - to end.

In high school, as today, I harbored geekish obsessions, had a wandering imagination, and nurtured an appreciation for minutiate. In other words, I should
Hannah Greendale

From the valleys of the Shire to the summit of Amon Hen, The Fellowship of the Ring is an extraordinary adventure of endearing characters defying impossible odds.
JV (semi-hiatus)
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."
Life is, indeed, a box of chocolates. No matter how much we prepare for it, we will never be ready. Truth be told, no one ever is — such is the mystery that life has to offer, as we don't get to choo
Alejandro
The Journey begins!!!

THE EVOLUTION OF A RING’S STORY

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, series
Raise your hand if you remember the awesome book fairs or Scholastic book order forms from back when you were a kid? Well, in middle school I picked up this sweet read in a box set with the rest of the trilogy and The Hobbit. Unfortunately, while I have always been enthusiastic about reading, I did not find the motivation to complete it for almost 15 years.

In the early 90s I read the Hobbit. Then I followed it up by starting this one but lost interest shortly after Tom Bombadil. Tolkien is great
Will Byrnes
One of the great works of 20th century literature. I first tried this in high school, but was not able to get through on the first try. The second try, in my early 20s was the charm. Frodo goes on a quest that take in issues of morality, friendship, one's responsibility towards others, facing one's fears, courage, danger. While depicting a global battle between good and evil, Tolkien puts a human (or hobbit-ish) face on that conflict. His themes are universal and his characters are very accessib ...more
Fuzaila
This book did nothing but put me to sleep and sink me in a slump. Like, I’ve never EVER fallen asleep while reading a book (except for maybe, Catching Fire, but I was dead sick at the time). But the best part? It actually started getting interesting after the 95% mark, and by the end, I was even looking forward to reading the next book. How. The. Heck!!

This is all you need to know about the plot -

A ring with exceptional powers, handed over to a young Hobbit as an heirloom.

A Dark Lord seeki
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a few friends,
a stretch of pleasant hills and an ominous wood.
Let us romp in the remnants of innocence,
free of the fear coursing through the veins of the greater world.
Give me the first half dozen chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring and I will gladly make a little heaven on earth out of it.

After finishing The Hobbit as a young boy, I needed something else, something a little more mature to meet my growing needs. Lucky for me, Tolkien had done just that in the form of his epic trilogy
James
4+ out of 5 stars to The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien's first novel in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, later made into a billion dollar movie franchise. I count myself lucky to have been able to read this book before it became a movie, though I loved the movie, too.

Why This Book
I was 13 years old when I stumbled upon this book while a friend was reading it. He was a major video gamer, fantasy sports leaguer and avid reader of science fiction. Though we were good friends, I
Michael Finocchiaro
What can I say besides that rereading Tolkien's masterwork after so many years is just as full of wonder and inspiration as it was 40 years ago when I was a young man learning the ways of this old world. The Fellowship of an elf, a dwarf, two men, and four hobbits is such a incredibly beautiful tale of adventure and friendship and I savored every page while looking over my shoulder for wargs and balrogs and hiding my head from The Eye of Sauron. So many images, so many memories.

The Fellowship o
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Tolkein's masterpiece is notable primarily for its historical significance. He basically invented the fantasy genre, and because of that all fantasy readers owe him a debt of gratitude. Many things in his books will seem somewhat cliche nowadays, but that's because they have been used so often since he wrote this book - almost all of them were original when this book was written.

That said, Tolkein is not a terribly good writer. He tends to go on in excruciating detail about trivial concepts. Par
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, we find ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and at The Green Dragon Public House and Brewery, a Tolkien inspired pub. Our special guest tonight is none other than THE Hobbit, Mr. Bilbo Baggins, formerly of the Shire. We’ll have a moment to get to know the individual that has meant so much to generations of literary fans and then to a new generation of movie going fans in this last decade. Bilbo, how are you tonight?

Bilbo Baggins: I’m well; thank you, Anderson, an
Manny
My education as a young German continues. I have been able to read children's books easily for some time, but books for grown-ups are still challenging. I thought that reading The Lord of the Rings in translation might be helpful, since for me it's intermediate between children's literature and adult literature. The vocabulary and grammar are more like adult literature; but the writing is concrete and straightforward as children's literature tends to be, with little of the abstractions, generali ...more
Anish Kohli
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One does not simply review the LOTR!!

Yet here I am, trying to do so. In the words of Sam-the-wise Gamgee, I can sum up my review. “Oh, that doesn’t do them justice by a long road.”
This was a BR with The one who DNF’d it and The one who didn't like it. Non believers, I tell you!
I have taken my own sweet time with this book, relishing each of its pages and words and watching the movie as I read the book. It has been a great time!
“Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Review to come when I can recover. I hope that my fellow Frodo, Sam and Aragorn will continue onto Two Towers with me!

Image result for frodo crying

It's re-read and buddy read as of 1 July with the lovely:

Fuzaila/Frodo
Bhavik/Sam
Fares/Merry
Rusty Grey/Aragorn/Bill the Pony

And me, Pippin. Because I'm a ditz. Don't worry Fuzaila, book Frodo is awesome :)

I've decided we're all Hobbits since there are four of us.
I love the diversity of our read - two African and three Indian readers :D

Obviously. The best book in the universe
adam
May 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review by Doc Opp; I think he covers it quite nicely. He explains how Tolkien was the forefather of fantasy writing, and why that makes his books important. He also shares his opinion that the historical importance sort of causes people to overlook that Tolkien couldn't write worth beans.

Opp posits that perhaps it has something to do with the concept of heroism being different in Tolkien's days than it is now. I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I agree that his characters are a stud
Rusty Grey

The crownless again shall be king.”

This review is going to be more about my experience with this book rather than about the book itself . Everyone knows the story . And there already has been said much about it . So I don't need repeat i
Krystal
I'm so thankful for these books.

Many, many years ago, teenage me thought Lord of the Rings was somehow related to a flea circus. Where did that thought even come from? Honestly my mind works in mysterious ways. Either way, it meant this book held zero interest for me.

Then, mid-2001, I saw a preview for the first film and it looked right up my alley. Of course, being the loyal book nerd I am, I vowed to read at least The Fellowship of the Ring before seeing the film.

So it was that I first read th
Bradley
I cannot rightly recall how many times I've read the trilogy. I think it's between 5 or 6 but that doesn't include a dramatized version. I don't think. And then there are the gazillion times I've watched the movies, the cartoons, or the beautiful old green poster I used to gaze upon in my room.

Not to mention the balrogs I used to paint alongside my dragons. Or the feverish studying of elvish and writing messages to my friends in runic. Taking a class on LotR and even publishing an academic paper
Celeste
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where would the fantasy genre be without Tolkien? He gave us the first deeply developed fantasy world, and character and plot tropes that are still go-tos for fantasy writers. Are these tropes now overused? Yes, as are tropes in other genres. As King Solomon said, “There’s nothing new under the sun.” We are constantly reusing the ideas of others while trying to improve upon them and make them our own. And we have Tolkien to thank for many of those ideas. I respect him and the Middle-Earth he cre ...more
R.K. Gold
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was long overdue and I am so happy to have finally read the first book. Finishing Books 2 and 3 will be among my early goals of 2018. I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. It's always fun to read about a character who is on the move. The constant action, even if it's as repetitive as avoiding a trail and walking through the woods for two days, kept the narration grounded, which was important in painting a picture of how vast middle earth was.

I love the movies in their own rig
Lizzy
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
I expect that that if anyone thinks or says the word fantasy, the first thing that comes to mind is Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings right along with it. I relish a good fantasy, but after watching and loving the movies, I was reluctant to read the book. Perhaps pure stubbornness on my part, biased by a crooked idea that the book couldn’t be as good. I was so wrong!

I loved everything about The Fellowship of the Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien

• A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • A Game of Thrones #1
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

Articles featuring this book