Start by marking “Little Star” as Want to Read:
Little Star

Little Star

A man finds a baby in the woods, left for dead. He brings the baby home, and he and his wife raise the girl in their basement. When a shocking and catastrophic incident occurs, the couple’s son Jerry whisks the girl away to Stockholm to start a new life. There, he enters her in a nationwide singing competition. Another young girl who’s never fit in sees the performance on ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Little Star, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Will
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Fanny
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Joe Valdez
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Scandophiles, pregnant people, weirdos
I came to Little Star after John Ajvide Lindqvist's debut novel Let the Right One In turned into the scariest book I'd read since Helter Skelter, more unsettling than Stephen King at his best. I was more reminded of David Lynch throughout. Lindqvist is not writing books for everybody. They're dark and disturbing, but at times also beautiful and tender. I believe you need both as a storyteller, otherwise you're taking aim at lukewarm junk, otherwise known as the Young Adult genre.

In the autumn of
Paul Bryant
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
I finally got my revenge on ABBA. For most of my life I have been bombarded with these four well turned-out glistening Swedes with their blandly superior three minute wondersongs and their terrible terrible lyrics. Man, they were everywhere. At one point I think it was compulsory for every British household to have a copy of ABBA Gold, and if you didn’t have one, a burglar would break into your house and leave one on the top of your cd player.

There was an unspoken agreement that ABBA were the g
Colin Leslie
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Ajvide Lindqvist hit the ground running with the excellent Let The Right One In, which resurrected the tired vampire trope into a new, darker being, showing the paranormal romancers how it should be done. He somehow managed to maintain the pace with the "difficult" second and third novels, Handling The Undead and Harbour and now along comes Little Star and what do you know, he's only gone and done it again.

The plot of Little Star is at once both beautifully simple and incredibly complex. Th
Mitch
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Little Star started strong but petered out for me. I guess it's because, rather than following a linear narrative the whole way through, Lindqvist divides the story into two separate sections each about the life of a different little girl - Theres, who's born a psychopath, and Teresa, who becomes one - before bringing them together for a terrible, blood-soaked finale. Unfortunately, while I found Theres's story deeply unsettling and morbidly fascinating, Teresa's story mostly fell flat.

It's hard
Abbie | ab_reads
So. SO. This book... I think this is the goriest, most violent, brutal, graphic book I've ever read. And it was inspired by ABBA... so that's fun! Little Star is the horrifying story of an abandoned baby who is found to have a powerful and sinister talent; as she grows up her talent for singing increases and her influence grows to an alarming rate among her fans. Much violence and murder ensues.
This is a unique book, but it's not without its flaws. At 630 pages it could stand to be edited down,
Obsidian
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am going to keep this short and sweet. I am honestly baffled how this made the top 20 list of scariest books out there. I was torn between boredom for a good 1/3 of this book and then just straight up baffled by the time I got to the end.

This story starts out with a man who finds a baby that is left for dead in a hole in plastic in the woods (did you follow that whole thing). Now don't think that you are going to find out why the baby was put there. Or even the backstory to the baby. Instead
Beorn
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
From a relatively promising, almost incendiary start to a story, this book practically flat-lines as soon as the tale of 'The Other Girl' is introduced to the extent of very nearly breaking into the realm of utter tedium. It is only through a degree of force of will that I have even delved as deeply into the tale as I have.
It is with such a stench of tedium so endemic throughout that the book that the effect is to be almost offensively inactive to the degree that even when someone is being blood
Metodi Markov
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimy, scandinavian
Този път ни съвпаднаха мненията с Димитър Цолов - Доктора.

Много добре написан трилър, една звезда по-малко от мен, заради отворения край.

Линдквист надниква дълбоко в бездната, наречена лудост. Едната му героиня си е родена такава, другата постепенно пропада и събирането им е естествен завършек на процеса.

Вижда се и колко е лесно в ерата на Интернета да намериш себеподобни. И не винаги това е нещо добро...

Стилът на автора е много плавен и приятен, удоволствие е да се прочете.

Поради някои моменти
Tanja Berg
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually review books in the same language I read them in, but I'll make an expection here. This book sat on my shelf for more than a year. I bought it immediately upon publication, but after having read a review that totally slaughtered it, I was sceptical. I make a point of staying clear of bad books. Yes, this is a bad book, it is a terrible book and I LOVED it. The writing is fluid, words ran like water through my fingers. The story is captivating and catapulted me back into my teenage year ...more
Tressa
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
John Lindqvist has become one of my favorite writers whose books I eagerly look forward to. When I have his book in my hand, I know I'm going to be setting aside as much time as possible to race through through the story because his books are hard to put down. I enjoy his literary style and his character development is outstanding. His books have unique plots with none of the cliches found in a lot of other books.

Little Star is somewhat hard to describe because it's about so many things. It has
Chris
For some reason this book left me cold – cold in a, really, type of a way. I didn’t find it as good as Handling the Undead or Let Me In.
While the book starts off very well, it seems to descend into a maelstrom of violence intended to shock. Maybe it’s because I live in America where there is too much violence among children that this book feels so facile in it’s look and development of a duo that take up violence. Maybe it’s because to me, violence doesn't necessary equal fear when reading.
Th
Nicola
What a strange and unexpected book Little Star is. I found it shelved under Horror in my local library, yet it’s unlike any horror novel I’ve ever read. It’s also about teenage girls, but it’s not YA. It’s about murder, but it’s not Crime. In fact, Star’s genre-defying narrative is part of what makes it so wonderful.

Wonderful might seem a strange word to describe a book as openly macabre as Star, yet it is wonderful. John Ajvide Lindqvist imbues death with humour and finds unexpected light withi
Helen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Little Star' or 'How Listening to ABBA Leads to Massacres'.

No, but seriously ... this is a downright creepy book, with lots of beautifully interwoven themes on adolescence, bullying, the modern preoccupation with fame for its own sake, consumer culture, the repression of the primal and poisonous adults. Like several reviewers I was kind of miffed at the lack of explanation at times, but if you're reading about mad people doing mad things, there isn't necessarily an answer to the question 'why'?
Harry Allagree
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How to describe such a horrible book??…Perhaps something like, "Teenage Scandinavian Thelma & Louise Gone Totally Over The Top"! I should have known from the opening chapters of the novel that this was going to be not only bizarre, but meaningless. I'm amazed that the Washington Post could tag the author as "Sweden's Stephen King"! No more Lindqvist novels for me! Save your money & invest in something with some substance.
Gaby
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whaaaaaaaaat the...? Hands down, this book wins the ”Most Disturbing Book I’ve Ever Read” award. There are some welcome similarities with “Let the Right One In”; loneliness and alienation of one who doesn’t fit in, joy in the miraculous discovery that someone can understand and accept you, a sense of justice arising from bloodthirsty vengeance on the bullies of the world. Unlike Let The Right One In, though, this sense of justice is misplaced, and does not feel right. The supernatural is also mo ...more
Ashley
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thank goodness that's over. I was really enjoying the first third of the book. The middle just went down hill for me. It was just too tedious. I had no interest in the chapters about Idol or Max. I feel like the book could have easily been 200 pages shorter. I do not understand how the media could consider him to be " Sweden's Stephen King". I have read three novels by this author and he can't compare to SK.
Riff
May 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre
Having become a genuine fan of Lindqvist's work, it brings me no pleasure to say that Little Star comes as a great disappointment. The story revolves around a young girl we come to know as Theres, whom at the beginning of the tale is a baby found left for dead in a plastic bag. Theres is discovered by an ex-pop singer called Lennart, who takes it on himself to raise the child in total isolation from what he perceives to be the corrupting influences of the outside world. Theres is a very strange ...more
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished Little Star and I am not at all sure how to describe the book. Because of the genre (contemporary horror), I understand the comparisons to Stephen King, but John Ajvide Lindqvist has a different writing style. One of the main characters and part of her storyline thread reminded me of Lisbeth Salander (“Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.) Who knew there was a Swedish “Idol?”

I know I’m not making sense, but I do not know how to talk about this book without spoilers. It is well written an
Mieneke
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2012
Last year I decided I needed to man up (woman up?) and get over my wussiness regarding horror. One of the books I read in that pursuit was John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Harbor . To my utter surprise I loved it. Yes, it was scary, yes it was utterly, dreadfully creepy, but I loved it to pieces. At the time, Little Star had already been released in the UK – I had read the US edition – and from some of the reviews I'd already read and some conversations on Twitter, I knew that at some point I real ...more
Fox
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book through the GoodReads first-reads program.

Let the Right One In proved that John Ajvide Lidqvist is a force to be reckoned with. He weaves his plots deftly, intertwining characters in a complex dance of destruction that's shocking to behold. He is the master of suspense, creating a slow dread that refuses to reach a full climax until the very end of the tale. That isn't to say nothing comes before that final cataclysm - for there is plenty. His violence and gore are shocking, an
Mosquitha
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I fell in love with Let the Right One In, but then was terribly disappointed with Harbor. This is the third book I read by Lindqvist, and I would say that it falls somewhere in between Harbor and LTROI, but nearer to Harbor.

In this novel we find many similarities with LTROI; first we have Theres, mysterious and fascinating, pure in the evil acts she commits. Then we have Teresa, a loner, introverted and bullied. She becomes entranced by Theres and ultimately d
Mircalla64
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
una piccola psicosi

Theres è stata trovata in una buca nel bosco
è cresciuta in un seminterrato
e non ha alcun sentimento
le piace aprire le cose e un giorno si mette ad aprire le persone...
Theres ha un talento naturale per il canto
e un giorno va a uno di quei programmi per artisti emergenti,
là viene notata da Teresa e poi da un mucchio di altre ragazzine
che, come molte adolescenti, hanno un sacco di problemi di integrazione...poi c'è chi cerca di approfittare dell'ingenuità di Theres
ma quello che p
Alexandra
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd actually give this 3.5 stars, if I could. The writing was great and the characters were well fleshed-out, as is always the case with Lindqvist. The problem was that the book started out so delightfully creepily, with such a strange and unsettling premise, and then kind of floundered into ultraviolence. It's worth a read, but it could have been so so so much better.
John Wiltshire
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you've read and liked Let the Right One In then you will, without a doubt, like this novel too. The themes in many ways are similar. In that story there was a child vampire and a very odd young acolyte, in this a disturbingly autistic musical prodigy and her odd young acolyte. Little Star is creepy and unnerving. There's nothing supernatural in it, other than perhaps showing the power of suggestion on susceptible minds, but for all that, Lindquvist's main characters are very unnatural. When I ...more
Linus
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alla människor heter egentligen något annat.

Sex år efter sin makalösa debut slår John Ajvide Lindqvist roman Lilla Stjärna ned som något ganska annorlunda, för här finns ingenting som kan kallas vampyrer, ingen andevärld, ingenting som egentligen är överhuvudtaget vad vanliga dödliga skulle referera till som "övernaturligt". I denna enkla realism lyckas Ajvide Lindqvist ändå karva ut vad som kan vara det mest obehagliga jag läst av honom, varenda gång som hammaren spräcker ett skallben så vill j
Alex Telander
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
From the international bestselling author of the chilling and horrific Let the Right One, Handling the Undead and Harbor comes a new novel that appears innocent and charming at first, but eventually leads the reader down a long dark path, covered in blood and filled with bodies. Little Star will lull you into enjoyment and then terrify you all the way to the end.

Lennart finds an abandoned baby in the woods, left for dead. He brings it home, feeds and looks after it, much to the reluctance of his
Христо Блажев
Музиката, която убива: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/m...

Не знам защо Йон Айвиде Линдквист е написал “Малка звезда”. Не зная и не искам да знам. Рядко книга ме е ужасявала така, дори и крайни сплатерпънк романи като “Градска готика” на Брайън Кийн и “Лаведа” на Ричард Леймън. А че харесвам автора, и това си е вярно - “Покани ме да вляза” е страхотна, “Когато мъртвите се пробудят” не е хич лоша, но и в двете фантастичният елемент маскираше насилието, правеше го нереално. Тук това облекчение
Abbie
Holy Cow! What the heck did I just read?!

I don't really know what to say. Was this science fiction? Or paranormal? Or a psychological thriller? I-I feel so confused! I'm pretty sure Theres was either autistic or a demon.

The violence and morbidity was cool but I didn't really internalize the essence of the story. So all those problematic and insecure girls became a dangerous cult of murderers? That's it?!

Ugh! I am frustrated with the ending because I thought there would be more to the story than
Rebecca McNutt
When a girl with a terrible secret and her non-biological brother enter a singing contest in Sweden, they meet another girl and their friendship threatens to expose the truth of something sinister. This novel was detailed, exciting and incredible, really a story worth reading.
Delmy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
this is a DNF it wasn't great and i did not care for the characters at all. I was put off a lot by it. Maybe later on i might try to pick it up again but i am not feeling it right now.
Disappointed there wasn't a paranormal aspect... 2 13 Sep 22, 2017 08:23AM
Bookworm Bitches : August 2016: Little Star 2 35 Aug 09, 2016 03:27PM
missing pages 4 42 Jun 20, 2016 07:45AM
Horror literature? 2 17 Sep 01, 2015 08:39AM
Horror Aficionados : Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist/December 2012 34 78 Jan 30, 2013 08:14AM
Creative Reviews: Win an ARC of Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Spooktacular Giveaway Hop) 1 6 Oct 24, 2012 08:30AM
Wrong format 1 18 Sep 21, 2012 12:19PM
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Ett ufo gör entré
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound Prodigies #3)
  • Hon går genom tavlan, ut ur bilden
  • Ja till Liv!: Liv Strömquists ABC
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • Last Days
  • Samlade svenska kulter
  • The Brandywine Prophet
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison Thriller, #1)
  • Full of Secrets: Critical Approaches to Twin Peaks
  • Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein
  • Färjan
  • The Mall (Downside, #1)
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
John Ajvide Lindqvist (John Erik Ajvide Lindqvist) is a Swedish author who grew up in Blackeberg, the setting for Let the Right One In . Wanting to become something awful and fantastic, he first became a conjurer, and then was a stand-up comedian for twelve years. He has also written for Swedish television.

His Let the Right One In was a bestseller in Sweden and was named Best Novel in Translati
“It is impossible to say why we love something or someone. We can come up with reasons if we have to, but the important part happens in the dark, beyond our control. We just know when it is there. And when it goes away.” 27 likes
“You can plan for things, work towards them for years, and yet they never materialize. Or you can just happen to be in the right place at the right moment, and everything falls into place. If you want to believe in something like Fate, she's a capricious character. Sometimes she stand there blocking the doorway you were born to pass through, and sometimes she takes you by the hand and leads you through the minute you poke your nose out. And the stars gaze down and keep their counsel.” 18 likes