Start by marking “Grandma's Bag Of Stories ” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Bag Of Stories

Grandma's Bag Of Stories

When Grandma opens her bag of stories, everyone gathers Around.

Who can resist a good story, especially when it’s being told by Grandma? From her bag emerges tales of kings and cheats, monkeys and mice, bears and gods. Here comes the bear who ate some really bad dessert and got very angry; a lazy man who would not put out a fire till it reached his beard; a princess who got
Published 2012 by Puffin

Start your review of Grandma's Bag Of Stories
Pooja
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-pages
Sudha Murty has been one of my favourite storytellers whose work amazed me as a child. My mom got me one book of her and I've read that countless times, diving into them effortlessly.

This book brought the same magic, children's stories with a message and amusing tales one hears from their grandparents sitting leisurely and spending a good time during holidays in villages. I loved how I was reminded of the storytelling sessions I was rendered by my grandparents. I miss them and couldn't have ask
Smitha
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For most of us, grandparents telling us stories during the holidays have a special place in our memories. The warmth of a grandparent, spinning tales that held us rapt. Sudha Murty's Grandma's Bag of Stories is just as charming.

Anand, Krishna, Meena and Raghu arrive at their grandparents' place in Shiggaon. Ajj'si and Ajja's house was all readied up for their arrival, with Ajji preparing their favourite snacks. The perfect holiday with wonderful food, fun times with the animals in Ajji-Ajja's ho
Shaloo Walia
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick, easy read. Though children's book but the stories can be equally enjoyed by adults. Reminds one of summer vacations spent at grandparents' place listening to endless stories.
Theredheaded_Bibliomaniac
Stories which are important not only for children but also for the adults like us. Sudha Murty writes awesome stories which reminds us of our childhood and our villages.
Jae
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of Indian cautionary tales for children. The illustrations were not very stylish, but this is
beautiful storytelling by Sudha Murty.
Vinay Leo
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
When you are little, stories form a big part of your life. More often than not, your parents or grandparents would tell you stories with those happy endings and daring deeds, with a moral to show you good things happen to good people. Sudha Murty's book, Grandma's bag of stories, is a refreshing read for anyone, any age. It has those memories of childhood for us who aren't kids anymore. It's put in a tone that you'd remember your grandparents telling the stories in. And it makes you want to go b ...more
vik
Sep 29, 2012 is currently reading it
Read some 50 pages; more to go.
Cute stories.
Wish I had all this in childhood.
Guru Guru
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Easy English and Good read.
Kriti Labh
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandma's Bag Of Stories , kids sit around the grandma with there , while getting mesmerised by one interesting tale after another showing there emotions in the twist and turn of stories and asking questions to show there attentiveness .

The book starts , and a few children go on to their grandparents ' home in Shiggaon , Karnatka
on a holiday during summers ... The children find some one to play with . They befriend the kids next door , and they had loads of fun with them . From taking a fun pic
Aanay Tibrewal
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Grandma opens her bag of stories to teach lessons, everyone gathers Around. From her bag emerges tales of kings and cheats, a magic pot, monkeys and mice, bears and gods. Here comes the bear who ate some really bad dessert and got very angry; a lazy man who would not put out a fire till it reached his beard; a princess who got turned into an onion; a queen who discovered silk, an island full of statues, the saltiest sambar in the world and many more weird and wonderful people and animals. G ...more
Namit Chaturvedi
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Join Raghu, Meenu, Anand and Krishna as they join Ajji in the wonderful land of stories. There are king and thieves, mice and bears, gods and a forgetful girl.

There's a king who wants to listen to the longest story in history, a mouse (Mushika) who wants something for everything he does, a bear who was angry at Mohan for feeding him bad payasam, Goddess Lakshmi proving that she doesn't stay where she is not appreciated, a thief being outwitted by a common village wife, Kavery, a king who wants t
Akshay Ladda
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
▪︎Quick and Easy Read
▪︎Engaging Short Stories

My Favorite Short Stories From These are 'Kavery and the Thief' , ‘Doctor, Doctor’ , 'A Treasure for Ramu', The Enchanted Scorpions, & How the Seasons Got Their Share. (Rating 4/5)
Pakhee Bhatia
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book will take you through the memory lane of your childhood days spent at your grandparent’s home. Sudha Murty’s Grandma’s Bag of Stories is simply wonderful and full of engaging stories of monkeys and mice, kings and cheats, scorpions and hidden treasures and princesses and onions.
The book starts with the grandmother Ajji waiting for her grandkids Raghu and Meenu to arrive for summer vacations. The other pair of sibling Anand and Krishna had already arrived. The craziness and fondness of t
Soumya
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating - 2.75.
Ashwini
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
delectable. transports you to the carefree childhood days and leaves you wondering why we ever grew up.
Ayati Choudhary
Ck Vinod
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book... Childhood is the stage when you are oblivious of the stresses. The fortunate ones are in the company of Grandparents, who are guiding them, chiding them whenever their actions border on irritation, narrating them fables and stories. However, not all are so lucky to have received the umbrage of such encompassing love and care. This is where this book comes into play. All along, the reader feels as if somebody old, somebody close and related, is narrating stories with lovi ...more
Arti
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
Children enjoy a special bond with grandparents and stories have a big part to play... it's the stories that fill long dull days with excitement, drive curiosity and encourage reflection... stories have always been the simplest and most effective means to build character, introduce values and traditions and provide simple insights to the realities and challenges of life...

Just the thought of sitting down to hear a grandma story is enough to take you back in time...

The book is an easy read... b
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
I enjoyed reading Sudha Murty's books as her writings are always easy to read. They make me enjoy reading with pleasure. This particular book made me to rewind my childhood days, where my grandma used to tell us stories particularly during during summer holidays. Thanks to you for writing such a nice book.
Prasanjeet Specter
the last 3 stories added an extra star to this.
All and all this one could be a nostalgia to many, those who are fond of Ajji's stories but if you are really hoping for a moral after the story that is definitely missing.
If you are teenager, hop onto another...Probably this, you can use to narrate to your kids...
Meghana
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I've fallen in love with Sudha Murthy's writing. With her unassuming prose and clarity, she draws readers into a magical world filled with nostalgia and comfort.

This anthology of short, imaginative stories brought back some of my favorite childhood memories, and it's a book I would recommend for young and old readers alike.
panbucholan
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book contains stories told by Ajja and Ajji (grand parents) to their grandchildren when they visit them during summer holidays. Very nice stories. My daughter liked all the stories when I told them to her. Me too.
Rohan
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME BOOK!

May seem lame, but don't judge a book by its cover (or title).

These stories are legends, myths, and classics that teach you important life lessons and indulge and interest you as well!
Vidya
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine
Bought this one for my 6 year old, but I ended up liking it a lot myself..It really brought out the child in me..Amazing book :)
Jayshree
A simple honestly written book of stories..
Ronak Banker
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Couldn't help getting nostalgic about my childhood while reading the stories...
Swarupa Donepudi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
simple n short stories for kids.
Saran
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for kids. Stories have learnings associated with them.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Great Stories for Children
  • Suppandi Volume 5: From Hired to Fired
  • TINKLE DOUBLE DIGEST 6
  • The Essential Collection for Young Readers
  • Tenali raman: Famous Illustrated Tales
  • Tales From The Upanishads
  • The Blue Umbrella (Amar Chitra Katha)
  • The Blue Umbrella
  • CHACHA CHAUDHARY AND TEMPLE THIEF: CHACHA CHAUDHARY COMICS
  • Akbar and Birbal: Famous Illustrated Tales
  • The Silent Teacher (Amar Chitra Katha)
  • TANTRI THE MANTRI (VOL -5) : TINKLE COLLECTION (TANTRI THE MANTRI : TINKLE COLLECTION)
  • Ten Must Read Animal Stories (Rupa Quick Reads)
  • SUPPANDI (VOL 2) : TINKLE COLLECTION (SUPPANDI : TINKLE COLLECTION)
  • Panchatantra (Illustrated): Classic Tales
  • Vikram And Betaal: Famous Illustrated Tales
  • The Gita
  • SUPPANDI (VOL 4) : TINKLE COLLECTION (SUPPANDI : TINKLE COLLECTION)
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int